Diablo Valley College Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Diablo Valley College

Annika

Diablo Valley is a great school to me because a lot of my professors care about their students. However, what can be improved is the involvement of the students with each other. Overall, the campus is clean and I feel I can successfully transfer to a great UC or CSU

Dalton

My overall opinion of Diablo Valley College is that it is a college that cares about the wellbeing and future of its students. Although my personal attitude when it comes to a community college is to get in and get out, there are many clubs and activities outside of the classroom for those who want to get more involved with campus life. I would recommend this college to anyone looking for a good community college.

cindy

One day as I walked onto campus I realized an empty spot on the ground, by the lake were many ducks swam and lived. They seem free and happy I wish I could be like them, but this spot caught my attention way too much. The campus seemed a little empty. Everyone seems to be in their own business, some rushed to classes others slept on benches burned out from previous classes. As I rushed into class I realized I don't know many people, besides their names there's no connection. It feels empty sometimes, It's been hard integrating into college, especially this empty one. No one told me it would be this hard, this is the life of a first generation. Thanks to my parents efforts, I made this far. As I walked out everyone went their ways, maybe I should have gone to tutoring but rather went to ask my teacher about this quadratic equations that were on my mind. On my way out a news paper caught my eyes, the girls soccer team had advanced to finals. It reminded me of good old times. Sometimes I wish I could play again, maybe it could keep my mind busy during hard times. I'm probably too scared and feel like I wont be good enough. As I looked for spare change in my pocket I did not have enough, food is too expensive here on campus. Sometimes I starve. "You need a job," sometimes I hear that voice in my mind, but with all of this classes I don't have the time. I continued down the path and come across a club organizations but none of them make a spark in my mind. I wish I could start my own club but yet I need more people not just one. I wish this place could make me feel connected but it does not. As I walked I couldn't help it but stare at that empty spot, the whole space is filled with threes and flowers but I decided to plant a seed and grow it in this place. I wonder why the decided to forget this spot and not plant anything before. Then I realized I had to be the change I wanted to see so I started to grow with this tiny seed.

Daniel

Diablo Valley College (DVC) is a community college located about 30 miles from San Francisco, CA. Like most community colleges, it has a variety of two-year degrees as well as certificates. The great things about DVC include the variety of majors, reasonable cost (compared to 4-year colleges), diverse student body, and strong arts program. Although some students are working on general education to transfer to a university, many students attend DVC to get a degree that leads to a job. Some of these majors include Energy Systems, Computer Networking, Dental Hygiene, and Culinary Arts. Students are able to take classes that are outside their major, not only that fulfill general education, but also course that interest to them. The cost is reasonable (currently $46 per unit). There are great art options like dance, music, and graphic arts for students that are interested in these courses. There is a large population of international students that attend DVC as well as an ethnically diverse group of students from the Bay Area. The diversity also extends to areas other than ethnicity. Students range in age from teens to well past retirement. Students vary in their educational goals from taking one class for fun, to completing general education for transfer, to a quick certificate program to help with their current job, to an AA or AS degree. The only major drawback of DVC is the cost of living in the Bay Area. With no on campus housing (other than for international students), rent can run $2000 or more per month. For students looking for a 2-year college in Northern California, that has a great variety of classes and degrees, small class sizes, a safe campus, and caring instructors; DVC is a good choice.

Mackenzie

I had recently enjoyed attending this college - going to a community college has saved a lot of money for my family, but that comes with a price. The counselors have no idea what they are doing and do not help whatsoever. As a student who is planning to transfer, it is incredibly frustrating not having counselors to provide me with the tools or resources to do so.

Nikki

The school is an average community college: it's better than most in the Bay Area when it comes to the facilities but leaves a lot to be desired in terms of atmosphere. People are not social, mostly because it's a commuter school. The campus facilities offer a lot of benches and tables to study, and have beautiful vegetation. Some of the programs, like the journalism department, are severely ignored and underfunded. Most people don't even know that they produce a student run newspaper. There are a lot of international and low-income students, which makes for a very diverse student body. The students are either motivated to get out and transfer, or don't mind spending 3 or 4 years taking classes here. The professors are either a hit or miss, and the book store is so expensive, you have better chances of finding a decent textbook on Amazon. The parking is terrible and doesn't guarantee all 22,000 students a parking spot. Usually the campus is clean and the food is average. Many students in the culinary program either care or don't care about what they make.

Lauryn

While I was in high school and trying to figure out where I was going to go to college, no part of me wanted to go to DVC. It was known as the place to go for lazy kids who did not know if they would go on with school. I decided to go and save my parents money. Attending DVC was the best decision I made. It allowed me to figure out what I wanted to do with my life and learn to mature. Although I wish that DVC had more of a social life, I do not regret attending here.

In my two and a half years at DVC I have really enjoyed my time. I learned a lot about many subjects and my viewpoint on subjects I used to hate (such as English) changed drastically to the point where I was actually very excited to go to class. I would recommend this School to anyone, especially high school seniors.

Patrick

I like DVC. Lots of options for creative classes, there are a lot of intramural and scholastic teams. DVC is consistently rated highly amongst other community colleges in the state and has an excellent transfer program into UC Berkeley and other local schools. Points off for their financial aid department, which is a massive pain and always seems to miss information requiring a separate visit to the school, ALWAYS within business hours.

Cameron

I wasn't too excited to go to Diablo Valley at first. I had taken summer courses there when I was in high school, but I never imagined I'd go there as a freshman. As a senior, I realized I didn't have a ton of money, and the colleges I wanted to go to were very expensive. So Diablo Valley was sort of a last resort, but I'm glad I came. DVC's "First Year Program" was an amazing start to my college life and helped me feel less anxious. My professors are amazing and are always willing to help when I need it. Friends are easy to come by, and the campus is quite lively. Overall, DVC is a good start for anyone.

La'amea

I really like Diablo Valley College. My classes are good and I feel challenged to do my best. It is expensive to go to DVC because there are no dorms. Apartments around school are very nice but unaffordableI. I wanted to play college basketball but it did not work out. I am concentrating on getting good grades.

Christian

I feel very lucky to live so close to Diablo Valley College. Many of my peers travel far distances to attend class. My teachers have been great. They are very supportive and they obviously have command of their subject. Office hours are also great. I attended many office hours and they were always constructive and inclusive. I truly feel that my education at Diablo Valley College will translate into my life and career, as well as prepare me for the next step: UC Davis.

Ashlyn

Diablo Valley College is a great college in the area for those who are unsure of what they want to major in, or are looking to get their general education done at a cheaper price. But, with that being said, you pay for what you get. Many of the students that I have talked about this with have agreed. It seems as if it's almost another year of high school with less rules. This may be because its a community college and that nobody ever stays there 24/7, but you never truly get to embrace the "college life style." Diablo Valley College has been a great start for me, but I cannot wait until I can transfer to somewhere else and have the real college experience.

Yohannes

I believe Diablo Valley College is a great college, one with many amenities and great student life. However, as a community college, it is lacking in many of the things that make state colleges and universities lively and welcoming. I would recommend people consider all their options before choosing DVC.

Carolina

I like how much availability and happiness to help that the teachers show, also the open minded and friendly community that makes it easier to adapt when you are a new student. Diablo Valley College is a perfect place that provides students with many skills and tools for their future, by providing opportunities like studies abroad, sports, clubs, passionate teachers, and kind counseling resources. DVC is a great stepping stone that will lead you to great places.

Lucas

I think Diablo Valley College is the one of the best choices for students putting themselves through college. The unit cost is relatively low, with a semester ranging between 500-1000 dollars (including books). The biggest issue I find with DVC is its location. More accurately, the housing costs associated with the location. If you're like me and work a full time job and go to school full time this is a fantastic place to be for your first two years of college. Save money by going to DVC before transferring to a four year, while simultaneously earning a very comparable education to most four-year colleges. I don't see many reasons not to go to a community college as a stepping stone into a four year university.

Andrea

I chose this school because of its artistic lifestyle and overall atmosphere, luckily it delivered. I'm very proud to be attending a school where it is encouraged to achieve what I desire, not just by staff but also from other students. Friendly people, fun teachers, and fantastic food are top 3.

Sushila

Great option for community college. It has a wide diversity of students and an outgoing environment. Counselors are helpful and easy to talk to and i think it will be a great fit for me for the next two years. Big campus and accessible parking, I do wish they would encourage more students to be ful tuime and get out in two years

Marisa

I'm very impressed with college, it is much better than high school! One thing I love most are the group discussions, everyone has different thoughts and ideas which I learn so much from. The campus is very clean and nice. Overall, I am very happy with my experience at Diablo Valley College

Cameryn

Diablo Valley College provides a clean, safe, educational environment for every type of student. Every teacher is readily available and each class is stimulating without being over challenging the student. Students are also provided with multiple resources so that going to class is easy.

Christine

Before attending Diablo Valley College, I was hesitant since I live so close to the school and many people say it's difficult to get involved and develop a social life. However, once attending, I felt really comfortable and extremely welcomed. For one, a lot of my teachers are very warm and intelligent. Secondly, to my surprise, a lot of people in my class were friendly and kind because we are all in the same boat. I am very happy with my decision to attend DVC, I don't think I would want it any other way. In high school, I got really amazing grades, however, I did not have one particular school I was striving for. Being able to attend DVC, has aspired to have bigger and better dreams than I ever did in high school because I have a better chance at transferring to a better school. Since attending DVC, I have definitely developed into a more motivated, dedicated student.

It is a great community college to get your two years done. I was able to easily complete my psychology AA in two years and finish with honors. However there isn't too much of a social scene as it is a commuter school and everyone just wants to get out at the end of the day.

Kaitlyn

Diablo Valley College is a wonderful institution for anyone looking to obtain their associates or certificate. The class sizes are fairly small, so you can really learn from the teacher, and you get to know the students who are also taking the course. DVC is great community where people can be themselves and not feel judged, everyone is really accepting of one another. There are a lot of clubs or groups people can join to meet people who have the same interests. I would recommend this school to everyone looking to pursue their education.

asia

Going into community college, I was upset and uneasy. Diablo Valley made going to a community college feel right. The people are kind and encouraging, the teachers are welcoming and supportive, and the accessibility is amazing. I highly encourage DVC.

christian

So far, so good. A little rough in the beginning with concerns of admissions and such being rather difficult for some, with what seemed like very little assistance from those employed there. But, I understand, these men and women have to deal with thousands of applicants every semester.

Kelly

The school has a great atmosphere, but there is still some work to be done on the teachers. I've had many teachers who don't act like they care about the students at all, and it seems like they will do anything to see you fail. The people here are okay, but it seems like a lot of students don't take classes seriously, and are pretty disruptive.

Krystal

DVC is a great community college to go; especially if you're a STEM major. All sciences classes there are very demanding and the professors are great. I have learned so much from this college and couldn't be any happier with the education I am receiving.

Alissa

Overall, DVC is a great place for high schoolers to transition to college. Most people just go to class and leave so it's hard to meet new people. However, there are a variety of clubs that students can join. A lot of the students end up transferring to UC schools. There are a lot of activities and talks organized so it's interesting if you go to them. DVC is a great place to get back into school or transfer to your dream college.

Janette

DVC was a very good school, I attended there for awhile and all my English classes were fun and interesting to be in. In some classes there was a lot more reading than what you would expect which helped in class meetings but it would be hard to catch up if you do not do one of the readings. Overall the classes were good and good teachers.

Millie

Diablo Valley College is a fantastic community college for those that want to transfer or get their associates. People are really there to learn and are intensely focused, but still inclusive and has a friendly and welcoming environment. The professors are great as well, not all of them have been perfect but most will always help out in any way they can.

jazmin

This is a great college to attend. There are a lot of resources. I would recommend seeing your counselor before and at the end of every semester; at least that’s what worked for me. I changed majors a few times however the counselors helped me adjust into a new major. Great experience.

Dvc is a fantastic school. It’s cheaper and most the teachers are great. I would definitely recommend coming here before heading to a four year to save yourself some money. The culinary students serve food that’s delicious and building a schedule is really easy.