Dickinson College Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Dickinson College

Heidi

Dickinson is a good, small school with lots of community engagement. Dickinson has many programs that give students a lot of opportunities to acquire and expand their knowledge. One of the things I love most about Dickinson is their involvement with the community. Dickinson has many opportunities for its students to engage with the community. There are clubs that plan events to raise money for an elementary school, have required park clean-up events, plan activities for local elementary students, etc. In doing so, community engagement teaches students to learn about their surroundings and those who live in it.

Rogers

Good

Lydia

It's typical of a small, private, liberal-arts college. Carlisle, the surrounding town, is nice but a little run-down, and if you're into bar or outside party scenes there aren't a lot of opportunities. Students make their own fun. Academics are good-if you make the effort, you will get the grade and the opportunities.

Skylar

Dickinson College is a place where the world connects in one spot, where people of different races and backgrounds come together to further the future of our world. Students at Dickinson are hard workers and leaders, people who are eagerly working towards their futures. The facilities at the school are well maintained and create a warm and welcoming aura that makes each and every student feel at home, I would recommend it to any small school lover. Teachers are always available to help and if they're busy there is always the writing centers and the library. The school makes it easy to get help and is honestly a comforting place to be. I would recommend it to anyone who thinks they prefer a small class size as well as a liberal arts college.

Jasmine

Dickinson is a great college! Academically challenging and competitive, as a Dickinsonian, we are thrust into the world of college academia with the benefits of small class sizes and excellent professors. The faculty and staff are exceptionally helpful, resourceful, and encourage asking questions, discussing innovative thoughts and ideas, and student research. Faculty and academic advisors also highly recommend studying abroad for many students and are always willing to assist a student in planning out their academic courses ahead of time in order to make proper time for studying. As such, learning a foreign language is a required component not only for graduating, but to prepare students for the possibility of studying abroad and to be able to leave Dickinson having delved into a number of different international cultures, expanding the mind and perception of the world in every Dickinsonian. Club activities and Greek Life are both popular on campus and each student is encouraged to join or participate in a club, team, or fraternity/sorority to contribute to the school, cater to the student's own individual interests, and to bond and form connections across campus and across cultures. The actual campus itself is surrounded with beautiful natural scenery and is located in the small historic town of Carlisle, Pennsylvania, which is just outside of Harrisburg and only a two hour drive from Washington, D.C. and has multiple interesting shops and delicious restaurants. So if you're into a small school population that creates a close-knit community of communicable faculty, intellectual and innovative students, and an overall friendly and accepting atmosphere, then Dickinson is the school for you!

Small school with very little diversity. The surrounding town is not really a college town but there are stores that are essential for a college student's everyday needs. There should be more student involvement on campus and more interactions between social groups.

Bryan

Dickinson College is an extremely beautiful campus that has preserved the architecture and style from when it was originally founded. Along with these history-preserving buildings, they have new facilities, such as their gym and dorm buildings, that give the school a modern touch. On top of this, the faculty and students are very eager to help. As a prospective student visiting the campus, I could truly feel the tight knit community and definitely see it as a warm, welcoming institution with great resources to thrive.

Alexander

Dickinson College provides top-notch academics from a dedicated and available faculty. Classes are small and the intimate atmosphere provides opportunity for everyone to partake in discussions - professors usually encourage discussion as a primary method of instruction; however, depending on the class, mini-lectures do come up sometimes. Resources on campus are amazing and there is something for everybody. Dickinson is willing to sponsor any student initiative, and such initiatives are plenty.

Abigail

Overall, I believe Dickinson is the best place for me to begin shaping the rest of my life. The first thing I noticed about Dickinson was the beautiful limestone-filled campus. However, beyond that, I found I was able to thrive at this school because of the small class sizes. Developing a one-on-one relationship with professors definitely benefited me as a student. Being able to attend office hours, or simply walking past and being greeted by name, has definitely been a highlight of my Dickinson experience so far. Furthermore, Dickinson students are passionate; they have goals and are willing to fight for those goals. Everyone brings something different, whether individually, culturally, or globally, which has truly opened my eyes and enabled me to see new things. However, sometimes at school, I find that I am feeling like an outsider, considering how different the Dickinson culture is from my home culture. Yet, I am excited about what Dickinson will be able to offer me in the future, particularly in terms of research and internship opportunities. My education here will give me the tools to follow any path in the future.

Anya

I really enjoyed my time at Dickinson. There is some things to be desired as far as the sports scene, the extracurriculars and the surrounding town, but it really is a great place to study. The class sizes are small and the professors are generally pretty accessible.

Dickinson College is a great place to learn and live. There is a little bit of something for everyone, you just have to throw yourself into the community. Carlisle itself is a bit dull, so lots of students get a little restless, but the essentials are there: Walmart, CVS, and some cute restaurants (Thai food is great) and shops. Even a couple of movie theaters! Dickinson always has events going on, including concerts, holiday dinners, and lectures from visiting professors. The campus is very safe, however, I wouldn't walk alone in the outskirts of Carlisle after dark. Dickinson has a very tight knit community of people you can trust; no one tries to drug you at parties, and girls make sure friends and other girls get home okay. Academics are a priority, although there are a few people who party throughout the week. Everyone is very accepting, and the majority of students are on the liberal end of the political spectrum.

Olivia

Dickinson College was definitely the right choice for me. While on campus I am always able to learn, in and out of class. My favorite part of Dickinson is being able to meet students from all over the world. I have been able to make friends from so many different places, in and out of the United States. It is an amazing opportunity to learn next to students who have different life experiences than you. If you listen to people's stories and get to know them, you can learn so much and truly grow as an individual. Dickinson also has many different activities for students to participate in as well. Students can be as active in campus life as they choose. There are many opportunities for engagement on campus, both academic or extracurricular. The opportunities for engagement and the ability to meet new people is part what makes Dickinson so special.

Juliet

Overall, Dickinson College is a great school. The professors are dedicated to helping students and translating their passion for the subjects they teach. There is a sense of community between the students, staff, and faculty - partly because of the smaller student body and class size, but also because of the public awareness on the campus and willingness to remain open to opinions.

Naziru

Dickinson college is pretty exciting but gets a bit boring sometimes. The events on the weekends are monotonous and if you do not party, there's basically nothing you can do to enjoy your weekend. Playing soccer is my only way of having fun.

Alexander

I think it is a great school with a beautiful campus. There are many problems with the school, but from what I can see, less so than many other colleges. We have beautiful facilities, and the best parts about Dickinson are how accessible and friendly most staff and professors are, and how students can take such a wide variety of courses. Another amazing thing about Dickinson is that the class sizes are very small, which makes classes very personable. Some problems include limited public transportation, hard to get into classes you want, and many wealthy and contrite students.

Freya

Dickinson College is an exceptional place to be a student. Academically, I feel challenged but I'm also constantly fascinated and excited for class discussions and meetings with professors, who all knew my name by the end of the first week. The student body is driven but exceptionally friendly, I have yet to find a standoffish or rude person on campus after one year. The administration values each and every student and is always accessible to students, which I personally appreciate as I came to Dickinson from a large public high school where the administration could not have been more removed from student life. I have already had dinner with the president of the college, and have yet to have a class exceeding 20 students. My first-year dorm was amazing, and my second-year building is even better. I cannot express how positively I feel about my Dickinson experience so far, it's truly a wonderful place to learn and grow as an individual!

Frances

I came to Dickinson with a love for the environment and a passion for languages. Luckily, Dickinson has offered me many opportunities to invite both science and culture into my life. I have made Dickinson mine by learning Russian while also taking care of bees. I am able to attend Clarke Forum lectures while also singing at the Tree House Open Mic. With so many opportunities, it is almost overwhelming at what I can accomplish on campus. But, after a long day of living the dream, it is nice to go back to relax in my dorm. I know that my living space is a tranquil space that my roommate and I have built together. From my activities I have learned leadership skills and social skills that allow me to confront those who are not following quiet hours. I have worked through agreements with my roommates and neighbors to make sure everyone is getting the sleep they need and the study time they want.

Valerie

It was ok. I had some issues with professors at the beginning, and some health issues that blocked a lot of opportunities for me (but that was a personal problem many people did not experience). I think the trick is finding 'your people' anywhere you go to school, I was lucky to find mine and I am very happy with my experiences with them.

Jane

I hated it. There were signs everywhere to “divest Dickinson” because of their investments in fossil fuels and their apathy towards sexual assault reports. The entire school gave a very depressing vibe. Everyone there looked miserable. Many of the facilities needed to be renovated. The athletic facility was beautiful but other than that, extremely underwhelming.