Dickinson State University

« See more reviews of Dickinson State University

This is probably at least the 40th scholarship I have applied for in the past two hours; zinch says this particular scholarship has over 17918 applicants as of today. I would probably even guess that what I am typing right now will never be seen by human eyes, but if it by chance does, this is what I have to say. I am aware that this was supposed to be about my college experience and how it has valued my life to attended, but how can I write about something that's not existent. The only thing I have "valued" from college is that I have to work 40 hours a week at a dead end job to make "ends meat" while also still being in debt for overpriced classes I attend along with books and gas. Also trying to keep somewhat of a social life. In conclusion this is how I feel about your question. I apologize for my audacity and blunt rambling, but I’m just really tired of never winning one of these scholarships and writing fake essays when I don't really feel that way about the topic. Thanks for your time, Clayton Rogers

Although I do not come from a college educated family, I strongly believe that I was mentally and physically prepared for college as a high school senior. I managed my money well and focused heavily on academics and my performance as an athlete. If I were to give any high school senior advice about college life, as I have already completed a year and a half of it, I would primarily focus on discussing personal expenses and the importance of academics and participating in extra curricular activities. In the world we live in today, money is a primary aspect in being successful. Creating a budget for oneself and strictly following that budget could help in spending money wisely and having it when needed. Academics are essentially the foundation for pursuing one's dream and fulfilling major accomplishments. The feeling of achieving a goal and being a dedicated participant is indescribable, in which I would highly recommend putting forth the effort and being determined every day to accomplish any goal one may have. All things considered, remember to have fun and enjoy your time well spent in college because it will be over before you know it.

My college experience has been invaluable in teaching me what it is like to interact and work with various types of people and situations. Coming from a small community, I had a narrow view of the world and the people in it. College has helped me to diversify my views and to be more empathic towards others. I have chosen to attend colleges with smaller class sizes for my undergraduate and graduate degrees. These smaller class sizes have allowed me to recieve the attention that I needed from professors and to get to know my classmates. Attending college on campus has been the right choice for me becuase it has helped to keep me motivated and has allowed me to interact with students who are sharing the same goals and struggles as me. Also, the connections that I have made with students and professors throughout my college experience have been great assets in attaining employment and graduate school acceptance. My college experience has helped to shape the person I am today and has helped me to find my passion. I am now on my way to receiving my Master's in Community Counseling through the University of Mary, Bismarck, ND.

If only we can all go back in time and change the direction of our lives. Wisdom is such a powerful tool in our thinking process and the choices we make in life. The longer we live the more wisdom we attain . Did you ever sit down and talk to your grandparents about life ? You can learn from their life experiences and can probably get alittle bit of good advice to follow. The transition from high school to college can be a bit frightening. You are now at a crossroad and faced with choices. As a high school senior applying to various colleges ,I would recommend picking colleges due to size, settings and programs. Dont pick a college because the weather is warmer in that state, or your friend is attending there. Smaller colleges might be a better transition for someone who wants more one on one with the professors versus a larger university where most communication is done through email because the class is so large. Also tuition plays a major part in your decision, so do apply for financial aid and scholarships . In the end, the decision will be yours, so think carefully and choose the right fit.

From about the time I was able to talk, people have been asking me what I want to do with my life. Thoughout my childhood and into adulthood, I gave them answers that I thought they'd want to hear: lawyer, pediatrician, nurse. The truth was that by the time I graduated from high school, I still didn't feel passionately enough about anything to make it into a career. I coasted through my first year of college barely attending classes. I assumed that at the end of four years, a degree would just materialize in my hands. Well, it didn't. At the age of twenty-nine, after ten years of working in a nursing home, (my temporary job as a CNA had turned into a full-fledged career that I felt trapped in), the importance of a college education finally sunk in. I dug in my heels and renewed my college career with a passion, earning straight A's my first semester back, and the following spring my first degrees, and AA and an AS. If I could tell my past self anything it would be this: Do the work. It will change your life.

You really need some kind of education beyond high school to make it in this world. Invest yourself now, take that chemistry class even though you don't need it for graduation now, it might make a difference later. Don't take that year off before you start college; it's too easy for life to get in the way and that year turns into 2, 5, or 10 years. If your not sure what you want to do, go anyway and start taking your generals and other classes that interest you; you will figure it out. School is so much easier when your young, before your married and have children and all the financial burdens that come with life. Make yourself and your future a priority now, don't wait until you have all the other responsibilities to realize whatever security you thought you had could be gone with one small life change that you have no control over. You have to have a back up plan. Prepare yourself now when you can experience college to the fullest and allow yourself to be a part and enjoy what the experience has to offer.

Although I never got the chance to reach the senior level in high school I'll assume that I was a senior back in 2009. If I could give my senior self advice about college I would let her know that all the talk of college being hard and challenging is just talk. College will only feel challenging if you let it be that way. I'd also let her know that there's nothing to worry about except for school. As long as you keep track of your classes, plan out your free time and concentrate on all your courses, college will feel just like high school just a little different. Being in college is your right of passage into adulthood so be a mature adult about everything you do, say and think. Do not worry about what people think of you because your priority in college is to achieve as a student and to better yourself for your own future not theirs. Be sure to take advantage of all the benefits provided for you and get involved at school to make your whole college experience worth it.

Congratulations on making it this far. I just want to let you know, daddy will tell you; “You aren’t smart enough to go to college.” Regardless of all the hurtful words he says and the actions he will take against you have confidence in knowing, that he can’t dictate your present or your future. By him being your last living parent, you would think he would be more supportive in your future endeavors, but that’s not the case with him. You will later find out that daddy will treat you one way at home and another way in public. All in all, you will see how fake he is. Later in life, he will say, “I should have been more supportive in you going off to college”. So, in order to prove him wrong and to most importantly prove to yourself that you are smart no matter what he says, I am going to leave you with a few nuggets to hold on to. First, study hard, play less. Second, ask a lot of questions. Last, don’t fear the days ahead of you. Do those three things and you’ll be fine.

Only being a freshman i have learned alot more about myself and my abilities in college. In high school i was not the best student and did not push myself to be better. After recieving my grades for my first semester i realized i do have potential to get good grades and have a GPA that i am proud of. I have learned how to manage my time better and not get so distracted. I get my homework done earlier than an hour before class and i have found friends in my classes to do homework with. Studying together really helps me stay on track and understand the information in a different way than what i comprehended in class. I believe college is valuable to attend because you have more opportunities with you life. I understand it is exspesive but it is possible with scholarships, grants, and finacial aid. I also have to work while im attending college, but so far it has not affected my grades and i am still finding time to have a social life also.

I have gotten out of college that nothing comes easy. I have to work extra hard, so i can get into graduate school. Graduate schools only accept the top students of the class, so i have to work hard to accomplish my goal. There are many people that are competing with me in getting into graduate school and having honors and Dickinson State University. It is valuable for me to attend college, so i can get a good job and do not have to worry about money issues when i am older. Many people go through life that did not go through college and have a tough time having money to pay fo the next meal. I do not want that, so i hope with a bachelors degree it improves my chances in life to have a good job. My parents had to work hard to support me and help me get into college and i hope with this degree i can help them out when they are older. Life is hard and i hope with a college degree life will not be as hard for me as it was for my parents.