Dominican University Top Questions

Shalonda

As there are many things to be prepared for when entering a university for the first time, I would tell myself to expect people to be just like you. As Valedictorian of my high school class, I chose a university that could offer challenges in the form of coursework and competition amoungst my peers. Little did I know most of my peers would have the exact same expectations as I. In truth, my biggest expectation was to have the same success I'd had in high school. Though I did not look for ease of success, I found myself discouraged when facing certain challenges. I should not have been down on myself or my abilities, for I found over time that though we were competing for the same academic respect, my peers were also my future colleagues. Therefore, just as I aimed to be successful, I came to admire their ambitions as well.

Kris

High-school is only a stepping stone to the rest of your life. Do not become fixated on one dimention. Explore your interestes in order to learn more about yourself, including interests and abilities. Always remember that failures are valuable tools to learn how to overcome obstacles and they help one to improve him/herself. Do not judge yourself by other people's standards. They do not walk in your shoes and they certainly do not know what is best for you. In a few years their opinions will not matter and you will be stuck with the consequences of the decisions that you make. Although they may give good advice, and it is always good to listen, they may not have all the facts pertaining to your situation. Be true to yourself and your maker, then all thing that you do will be the tools to make you succeed.

I would tell myself that it is very possible to change your mind about your chosen career. Because of this I would recomend that I keep an open mind for the first two years and take a variety of coursework to ensure that I find the best fit for my career.

The advice I would give my former self with the knowledge I know now. Is that college will change you and that being socially is the key to making friends and colleagues for the future. Be yourself who cares what others think it is our life our decision to make mistakes and learn from them. Leave your dorm room and explore Dominican you are paying tons of money to be there anyway. Friends will come and some will go. Some will bring out the best in you and at times annoy you but that’s the point. The teachers there will be amazing they will open your eyes to new things in which you never thought of before. Doing theater will be amazing and you will not be type casted do not hesitate just do it! The Basic Skills will be a drag so study now you will need it. Love will happen but not in the best way better to have love then lost so they say. Overall your first year will have its share of bumps along the way but you have 3 more years to change everything and make it memorable.

I WOULD APPLY TO AS MANY COLLEGES AS POSSIBLE AND ALSO VISIT THEM AS WELL. I WOULD APPLY FOR AS MANY SCHOLARSHIPS AS POSSIBLE AND NOT DEPEND ON MY FAMILY SO MUCH. BECOMING AN ADULT IS SCARY, BUT SOMETIMES, FAMILY CAN INHIBIT YOUR FULL POTENTIAL. NOT EVERYONE IS ENCOURAGING WHEN MONEY IS AN ISSUE.

Aimee

If I was to go back in time and talk to myself as a high school student first I would tell myself not to drop out. Dropping out was the worst mistake I ever made. Secoundly I would have told myself that in order to be able to take care of a family and not become a crack head like my mother I need goals and dreams and to go after them. I would tell myself not to listen to the people who told me that no matter how hard I try I would never amount to anything. I would tell myself to start being the person I am and stand up for what I believe in and be the strong person I am today. Going back to school and becoming a college student and getting my education is the best decision I have ever made. I am not only doing this for myself but for my children. I love how my children look up to me now and can be proud of their mother. I didn't have that as a child and it's not a good feeling. I am the person I want to be now.

I would tell myself to definitely study abroad my sophomore year. I didn't know that you could take most, if not all, general education requirements in Spain, China, Ireland, what have you. I would tell myself ask as many questions as you can. Even if they seem like the most obvious questions. That way you stay informed about how things work in your school. I would definitely tell myself to take different courses of things I liked in order to decide on my major. I think there are a lot of things students are interested and they don't take the classes because they want to graduate on time; there's loads of time, believe me when I say this. If you like art, take an art class or if you like cinema, take a cinema class. You have the right to enjoy your college experience. I think my best advice to myself would be pace yourself, take it slow, and most of all enjoy the ride. College is tough no doubt but there's nothing like it ever again in your life. If I could go back I would take different courses and study abroad.

Gitane

I have gotten a lot of out of my college experience. When I applied to Valencia Community College, I had an expectation everything to be difficult and felt I was not ready for college. The professors made me feel at ease and ready for my upcoming years of college after Valencia. You meet so many people different in your courses, and in turn you broaden your knowledge of the diverse types of people. Learning this can be used in every type of field in the workforce. College is valuable to attend not only from what you learn, but from what you learn about yourself. You may enter thinking you want to major in one field, but end up loving another. This may cause slight issues depending how far you are into your picked major, but at the end you're into a field of work that you love and enjoy. You meet many interesting people from across the world and learn from them as well. You learn from your professors who some have worked in the field and can give you advise that you might not find researching the career yourself.

Asia

I have learned many things from my college epereince thus far. For one, education is a privilage and a rightfully selfish journey. For me attending Dominican is an extereme blessing and privilage considering that my family would not have been able to afford for me to attend school had I not recieved my scholarships. With that I have also learned that I am my greatest inspiration and motivator, that college is a job that pays well in the long run. College is the opportunity to be selfish in one's educational pursuits to find truth in whatever it is I am curious about, using those answers in my career for the rest of my life. With that there is work that I must not let be interupted by any means; I must be selfish with my time and dedicate it mostly to my studies. I have also learned that in all the new ideas that I am exposed to by my professors, peers, and classmates I must stay true to who I really am. At the heart of it college is the prime time to find "who I am" and want to be, carrying it with me to the world.

Central Arizona College has allowed me to find my true calling in life. The honors program has allowed me to do further research and develop my academic abilities. Attending CAC has allowed me to be able to reach my future goals with less expense and in a friendlier setting. My experience has given me many opportunities that starting off at a four year school would not have. I know what direction I want to take and am aware of how to get there because of attending CAC.

Noemi

My time at Dominican University has taught me how we are all responsible for each other. My university is a small catholic school, with the motto of Caritas Veritas. In translation it means love and truth. My first experience with this university was with a retreat to Lake Geneva with 40 of my classmates. In this retreat I learned the extent of the faculty’s and student’s kindness. Each event after this was filled with love and understanding. There is no place for hatred at our university, just love and respect. Because of these experiences, my outlook on the world has changed. This is very valuable to me because my future goals have now changed to better fit plans of helping those in need. Thanks to Dominican University, my understanding of my responsibility to this world has greatly improved.

I have learned so much about myself and solidified my passions in life. Although college is expensive is the most valuable thing you can purchase. It is the foundation for the rest of your life. In college you can learn more about yourself and the subject you loved in high school. You can also form some great friendships and find your true love. You make mistakes and you learn from them. All this is possible from the college expierence.

Ashlyn

So far in college, I have learned a lot about myself. College has taught me who I am, but more importantly, who I am not. It has really tested my morals and luckily they haven't changed much from when I got here and I am very proud of that. Sure, college gives you classes and the possible responsibility of living on your own for a while, but the real value of college comes from the atmosphere: the people, the new location, the extra-cirriculars. College has taught me to prioritize and deal with stress. Also, that everyone is human. I recommend college for anyone because it gives you a glimpse of the real world before you are actually thrown into it. It prepares you for what is to come.

I haven't had a chance to fully experience college yet. My first class starts in about three weeks, and I couldn't be more excited -- and nervous! My friends that are already in college have been a great help to me. I've gotten a bit of a sneak-peek into the college world. I know that attending college is going to be a very valuable experience for me, both in the degree I recieve and the experience I earn. Going to classes among fellow students that I've never seen before will be a huge step up from seeing the same people I've always seen for the past four years. I'll gain maturity and wisdom I simply couldn't gain in high school.

I have gotten out of my college experience that working hard does really pay off and with the help of your friends you really can achieve more than you think. It has been valuable to attend because I feel in this one year I have grown up and changed as a person for the better. I value my education more and also my relationships with my friends and family. Without my experience in college I don't think I would've valued my life as much as I do now.

Aarika

I have learned more about myself, more than I realized, from my college experience. In addition to the courses I have taken for my Gen-Eds and major, I have learned to be more independent than I already am. I have formed many relationships and through those relationships, I was shown unconditional love and how to trust, in addition to other valuable life lessons. I have taught myself different study skills and how to balance studying with dance team and down time. I have also learned valuable leadership skills. I've always been a leader, but once I got to Dominican University, I further improved on those leadership skills. It has been valuable to attend Dominican University because this place has taught me much more than I could have imagined, and I feel that because it is a Catholic institution, I was able to get a different approach and insight on the things I learned.

College thus far has been breathtaking, full of soul-searching and discovery. I never anticipated that it would be as eye-opening as it was. The way I view myself and the world has changed dramatically. I have begun to appreciate the process of self-discovery, the laws of the harvest, and the value of fellowship with your peers. It has been valuable to attend because there was no other way way for me to gain such a grand perspective on the world around me, or to appreciate my friends and the people around me at the deep level I now do.

Beth

More than just the knowledge and skills I have studied in school, I have also gained an understanding of the basics of education and the complex relationship between teachers and students. I can see now that things like different learning styles, test administration, and readiness to learn can play a huge role in how students soak-up the material. I have also learned how invaluable my fellow students and faculty can be when they are needed. They make everyone feel welcome and when there is a problem, everyone sticks together and you don't feel like a needle in a college haystack. Personally, I have been able to realize my potential and take-on one of the hardest professions mentally and emotionally. I have been able to prove to myself that I can do anything I want as long as I put a consistent effort into it. There are things I have been able to comprehend that I thought were only left to academic elites like rocket scientists and brain surgeons. The rush of excitement I get when the lightbulb clicks on is like nothing else in the world.

This school has given me so much value to my life, to express it in just 200 words is nearly impossible. I had a tough time adjusting the first year both academically and socially (concerning my parents). Once I moved out of my abusive household, I was told I wouldn't graduate highschool; I did. Then I was told I'd never go to college; I am. I want to be able to prove to everyone that I, even through the struggles that I have faced in the last three years, am able to continue with the education I need in order to be successful in life. I want to be able to graduate this school without the worries of finance in my mind while studying. I want to be able to afford to continue going here so that I may attend Pharmacy school. I don't want to be like my parents: in debt and angry. I want to have the education and success that they thought I'd never get. I, then want my children to be proud of my accomplishments through all the struggles. Thank you.

Apply to more than one. Even if you don't want to go there, they may offer money and you can make a deal with where you do want to go to get more financial aid. Don't be afraid to be 'undeclared' until you know what you want to do. Get the core requirements done while you decide what to do. It's okay to tell people "No."

If I could go back in time, I would tell my senior self that I was going to have a great first year. I would also tell myself that by attending club meetings and being involved I would meet some of my best friends. However, I would have to speak p more. The only advice I truly feel would make my first year even better is telling my senior self not to be scared to stand up for myself. I would tell myself to voice my opinions even if I thought them silly at first.

Teresa

There are countless opportunities that college offers that you should take full advantage of to get the best out of what college offers. First, be open and get to know your advisors, teachers, other students because they will help guide you through transitioning into college and will be able to give you advice on career opportunities, education, your goals, financing, and mapping out the four years that you will be there. Second, time management is very important in order to stay on task and not veer off the road into troublesome territory. Your planner is your new best friend--plan out classes, homework time, social time (limited), events, and etc. In college you have lots of time and therefore you need to spend your time wisely. Third, get involved with your school by participating in school activities, events, and clubs because this will create opportunities for leadership, networking, service, and becoming a part of the college community. These opportunities will give you the chance to make a difference for yourself and for others and provide endless possibilities for furthering your education, leadership, passion to serve others, and becoming a better citizen of the United States and the world.

Upon the transition from high school routine to college life, there will be so many new opportunities and responsibilities that you will encounter as you begin an extraordinary chapter of your life. This new chapter will give you freedom and independence that you did not have living at home. The biggest challenge is accepting and taking responsibility for all aspects of your life, since mom and dad are not with you every step of the way. Waking up, schoolwork, falling sleep, for example, are aspects of your life that you control, and it is up to you to make certain the decisions you make are made in your best interest. It is essential that you take what mom and dad have taught you to heart in order to make the most of what is otherwise the beginning to the rest of your life. Oh, and by the way, mom and dad will also need help adjusting to the fact that their youngest child is an adult; use what they taught you to help them with one of biggest transitions of their life too: their daughter growing up and becoming a daughter that anyone would be more than proud to have.

Being a senior in high school all you want to do is get out of there and graduate. I think all seniors need to take a step back and really enjoy their last year. I wish I did but going back I would tell myself that I would do better in a larger setting school. Also, I would tell myself to not stress so much because just like everything else, it's just school. I would admit to myself that it is going to be much harder but i can do it.

I would tell myself to think of growing up right away. Childish games and habits wont last long. Then I would talk about how fast time goes by. I'd talk about how its ok not to be the popular one just because you can't go places on the weekends. Your friends will still be around after you finish your paper. So, FINISH YOUR PAPERS. I'd also tel myself that good habits early on are the best thing you could do. Going to bed early, getting up early, and working out a little bit can jump start your body for the next day. Id tell myself not to have just "icing" all day. Video games, frisbee, and the TV are all nice, but I need to at least have some of the actual vegetables first. Writing papers, reading chapters, and practicing music is all apart of the meal. I'll get sick if I eat only icing...

Knowing who I am today, I would tell myself to go for community college first, if I was still unsure of my major. Because in community college I am getting the same "general education" classes I would at any four year institution, but I would be able to give myself more time to weigh out my options on what I really would enjoy going to school for. I would also tell myself to start volunteering in different fields I was passionate about. A problem with my college career is I thought I knew what I wanted, but I didnt have enough experience in that field to make the right decision until I learned more about it. I would also tell myself that college is the best experience of my life and I need to look forward to living up to the highest expectations for the next four years.

One piece of advice I would give myself would be to uncover the truth. Discovery for truth is and was a vital aspect of my life in college and beyond. Searching for truth means seeking out what is important to you as an individual and as a member of society. Seeking truth entails uncovering the facts about the world around you in order to become a contributing citizen of the world. Uncovering the truth could mean investigating potential areas of study in college or traveling abroad to discover new people and new lands. Many people shy away from the truth. They would rather take a nap and hide under the covers than face the realities of the world around them and how to best solve the world's problems. You must be willing to take risks and search for the truth. It is only when challenging yourself and pushing the limits will you find your truth and your potential. You are capable of great things., so don't hit the snooze button again. Wake up and seek the truth!

Try to relax and have fun. You only get to live each moment once. That being said, you also need to do your work and get along wtih people. Sometimes people aren't what they seem to be.

Marijo

I would tell myself to really get in the habit of really putting time and effort into studying and doing homework, don't be afraid to make new friends, people don't bite., and stick with Arts, it's in your blood and you know it's something you love.

Ashlie

Research as much as you can, visit all the schools on your list, and talked to currently enrolled students at the schools in order to understand what the school is like. It's worth it in the end.

Vania

I would i would say know what you are truly looking for, becausae if you want to be known by your teachers and know that they will be available to help you, you should look for a school where there are not many students. Also You as a student have to get involved and meet new people, it is the best way to grow and encounter new experiences

Marisol

I would advice them to go together and get a feel for the campus. To go during the school year and to walk around see how students interact or if you can point out who are professors. Try to listen in on a lecture just overall get a feel for the school?s atmosphere. Then when you figure out the school for you sit down and figure out a financial plan. The best plan that will not put a burden on the student and parents. Discuss if loans are an option or what other ways to finance can you come up with.

Ann

I would encourage students and their parents to visit the schools that they are intrested in to expereince the environment of the school. Also I would recommend not going when there's no students in the school, but do the opposite to see and talk to the students that go to that school. Also ask a lot of questions during the orientation. Lastly, go to the school you (student) liked the most, enjoyed the environment, liked the size of the campus, the size of the classrooms. I believe it is very important for the students to decide on their own , because they will be the ones attending the school and living on the campus.

Candace

Chose wisely, carefully and do not be afraid to ask anyone for help.

make sure you do a school visit to see if you like the campus

Jaron

Make sure when you get to campus you feel at home and safe, and don't be afraid to get involved and talk to people

yadira

I truly think that to experience college a student should leave home. I lived at home for 3 years of school and i think i would have felt more independent and i believe my parents would take me more seriously if i had my own experiences. I also believe that you should pick a college that fits yours needs, for example i like the small school environment because i am able to talk to my professors and they remember my name.

Mercedes

My advice to parents and or students would be to do a lot of detailed research, make visits and talk to current students. To start off they can make a list of five to ten schools that grabs their attention. After they have compiled their list they can go on the websites and try to get history and well known benefits the school has to offer. Then they can plan trips to go visit the campuses and get more of a hand on experience of what kind of community, staff, and students attend there. Finally I would recommend interviews questions for current students. Once they have collected all that data they can make an educated decision and either keep the school or cross it off the list. At the end of around junior year the family would want to have the list down to just two schools. At that point take the final two and compare and contrast to finally make a final decision. But it?s important to have a goal school, but to also apply to at least five schools just in case.

Janelle

My advice to anyone looking for colleges is to find a place where you feel at home; somewhere you are able to be your true self around people who you do not have to compete against, but can work in conjunction with to reach career and personal goals. It is also very important to find a place that allows you to advance in your field, which can be achieved by professors who take an interest in their students as well as their subject matter and teach in a way that enables students to learn. Professors like these make a college experience worthwhile. They are one of the main reasons for success rates in students upon graduation entering the workforce. These were all components that made my college experience great and successful.

Be sure and take time to decide what is important to you. Go in with an idea of what you want, look for it and ask questions about those things when you visit. Be sure and visit the schools you are considering. It will effect the rest of your life, take it serusly. Try and stay up beat and have fun.

Visit and stay overnight, because I think that's a good way to really get to know a school. Also, applying to schools earlier than later is always a good idea.

Veronica

The college process can be quite scary at first, but if you plan things right everything will run smoothly. The first thing you should do is decide what type of college you want to attend as far as size. Both a big and small college have their benefits, but only one is what you are truly looking for. After you have decided what type of college you are looking for, the next step is to do your research and look for colleges. You should then, call the colleges to set up a day to visit their campus in order to get a better idea of what they offer. Before you visit them, write down some questions you have as far as the application process, financial aid, and tuition. When you have visited all the colleges, write down the pros and cons for each college, which will help narrow down the colleges you want to apply for. Send in your applications on time and wait for your acceptance letters to arrive. Once you have been accepted by the colleges, make a decision on what college you want to attend. Finally, get ready to get involved, make new friends, and work hard.

Stefanie

I would highly encourage prospective students to visit the colleges they are interested in. Research online is beneficially, but it is very important to get a feel of the campus, talk to students, sit in on lectures. Get involved! That is how you meet people, make friends, and make the school yours.

Beatriz

Make sure you have just a vague idea of what you want to do with your life. Small schools are sually better because you can get more divided attention from your professors. Also, make sure you fill out FAFSA so that you can have an idea what you can afford. Make sure you stay at the campus for a weekend so that you can get a feel for the school as well. Also take a look at the demographics.

Ayodele

Finding the right college require some research. First, research the school to make sure the college offer the major the student is interested in. Second check the class sizes, this will help determine how engaging the teachers or professors are. Third, visit the school and ask questions online researching could not answer. For example: whether or not the professors or school is research based. Social and academic life on campus. Something to keep in mind, is that it might be good to ask students just walking on the quad or going to class, most will be honest with you, asking someone that work for the school may not be as beneficial because they may be biased. Fourth, narrow it down by prices, check the aid package and scholarship information. Then decide, or if possible spend a weekend there with a student, preferably someone in the intended major, some schools offer this, go to class and parties with the students and take it as a learning experience, not as a pre-college vacation. Finally, get ready for the experience and enjoy every moment!!

Carmen

make sure you visit more than once. Ask regular students not part of the leadership programs at the college about the school to get a more honest answer about the school

Theresa

I believe that the most important thing one can do when chosing their college they will be attending is to visit, Visit, VISIT ! One will be able to "feel" when a college is right or not right for them to attend. There are so many things you can take in on a college visit that a summary or website will not be able to tell you. By visiting you will see how the college "fits" you and how you fit in at that institution.

When choosing, look everywhere and at everything. If you don't know what you want to do (and even if you do), then go for a Liberal Arts college/university because they offer a little of everything. If you really know, then go for a strong trade school or one with a really good program in your area of study that will be able to set you up with a grad school or job right out of your undergrad years. Be aware of what schools are party schools and which are study schools and know which you want/are attending. When there, make the most of the people you meet. Some will become best friends; some coworkers in the future. Follow the rules and you can do pretty much whatever you want; be responsible because it's very different than you'll expect. Make friends with upperclassmen; they are really good sources of connections, support, and help, and having a 'big brother/sister' on campus makes all the difference when you're stressed from all the changes from high school.

Sylvia

The best advice to find the right college for you or your kids is to explore your options. You should start researching colleges of your interest as soon as possible and with that visit many campuses along the way. High school will be over sooner then you think, so you should not put it off until the last minute. Study hard, keeping your G.P.A high and of course start saving up your money way before you think it's necessary. This way you will have more options to choose from and won't have to worry about paying off the students loans for the rest of your life...

I think you have to understand that for your child or for yourself there does not need to be so much pressure in deciding the "right" school. The truth is wherever you go can be the "right" school. It is up to you and what you want to put into it!