Dominican University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Dominican University

Cat

I'm currently a freshman and I'm glad in my decision to come here. Although it's not a big school, since the campus is concentrated, it always seems like there's people everywhere. I always feel safe on campus. The longer I'm here, the bigger the school feels because of all the events happening everywhere.

Kristina

From the moment I stepped foot on campus, I felt a sense of ease and comfort. I knew that I could feel at home there and I loved all the amenities they had for everything. The campus may seem big, but it was just the perfect size to make me feel like I belonged there.

Tor

It really is a great school. The staff are very cordial and they are available to attend to both academic and non academic needs. It is a sanctuary campus with a beautiful scenery not too far from Chicago. The staff to student ratio is about 12 to 1..one of the best things for me is that, Dominican university is not too big, neither is it too small, a great atmosphere for me to learn in.

Dominican University is a University that strives to keep an education an experience at a time when it is seen as nothing more than a commodity. The professors challenge students not to copy the great works but to think outside the box and come up with solutions to real world issues in a way that is sustainable, ethical, and innovative. The university motto Caritas Veritas - truth and love is an ideological code that can be seen throughout the campus and is reiterated in the course work and class size. At most there will be no more than 20 students to a class and professors are always ready to answer questions and schedule time to meet - even outside their office hours. Even though Dominican is a small religiously affiliated liberal arts university, the atmosphere is very open minded and respectful. Everyone has a chance to be heard and represented. The manner in which relevant social issues are being addressed on campus is above reproach. The faculty and staff are beyond pleasant and work hard to recognized students by name and face. You won't feel like another number here. There is special attention to take care of the student here. There is a wellness center with counselors on duty and nurses. There is a tranquility room that offers massage chairs and cots to take naps in to prevent exhaustion during those intense finals weeks. There is also a Chapel, a grotto dedicated to Mary and a labyrinth or the library if you seek intellectual soothing. Speaking of the library it's three floors and is anchored by an exquisite spiral staircase. There are cozy nooks to settle into between. classes. Now for the design of Dominican itself- the photo here doesn't begin to show how much the campus looks like Hogwarts - you will feel that at any moment Ron and Hermione are going to walk past you. But don't let the gothic exterior fool you, for as “in the past” the outside looks, Dominican provides an innovative and modern interior. In regards to location Dominican it’s a nice in-between from downtown Oak Park and the Harlem Irving Plaza mall. You could literally walk a few blocks and take a tour of architect Frank Lloyd Wright's Robie House. The only change that I would like to see happen is that university events have more diverse time slots so commuter students can take advantage of them So for the students who want thier education to feel meaningful, who feel like it shouldn't matter where you go that you should be able to help change the world - this is your university.

Jacqueline

Dominican University is a safe and welcoming environment with great academics. Although there isn't much to do in the neighborhood, there are always social events on campus which invite residents and nonresidents to participate. There are community service opportunities, dances, and discounted sporting event tickets just to name a few. There are many different cultures to explore and everyone is always ready to give a helping hand. Also, the class sizes are very small so you really get the attention you deserve. Overall, a great university with many social events on campus as well as great academics.

Bianca

Dominican University is a calm yet encouraging environment where students from all backgrounds can succeed. There's people from all different walks of life, which not only makes the school diverse, but also a great place to learn. Class sizes are small which makes it easy to get to know your classmates and professors. It's mostly casual, but there are many formal events and opportunities.

Angeles

I love the school with suh a passion. It fights for human rights as a whole and people of all diversity and backgrounds matter. The school has set priorities. Academically it is rich as well, although sport wise it is not the strongest, but the games are still a pleasure!

Jasmin

I love Dominican University! I’m so glad i chose this to be my school. Staff/ faculty are really nice and help with everything they can. You can tell that they want you to be here and learn as there is a lot of financial help. Great school!

SANDRA

Overall, Dominican University is very community-based. There's diversity, integration, communication, and value. When it comes to major issues, (the majority if not all )students, faculty, and staff stand together to solve the problem or for support.

michelle

Great vibe and positive energy, everyone is friendly and welcoming. It feels like a family all the professors are intentional, helpful and care a great deal for the students. The students that are here have a desire to learn and get great education. The school advisors help anyway they can to assist with class schedules and financial options.

Britney

I have heard bad things about Dominican University Nursing program from numerous current nursing students. They have told me to change school because the nursing program is a waste of time. The faculty and staff are really nice but my freshman college algebra teacher was not there for her students. Never explained the material well and rarely had office hours.

Its okay, I love the small classes but i do not feel myself truly involving myself within the school. Seems to be a place in which I got for a couple months to learn and try to stay away from for the entire break. I would love to be more involved in it but it doesn't seem like it will be possible throughout my 4 years.

Rolando

My overall opinion of Dominican University is good. Dominican University is very close to home, this has helped me lower the cost but it's still hard to pay. The university has helped me with a payment plan, which divided the payments into two semesters.

Adilene

It is very student community centered. There are a lot of student life activities always going on. Staff is welcoming, friendly, and supportive, but there is al lot of trouble with student accounts, employees taking payment and not entering it correctly, being given wrong information about how you can pay tuition in person, etc.

Ivonn

It is a cozy school. It has small classes with teachers that are focused on the student and making sure they pass. They have faculty and counselors that help students who are struggling. I use to be on academic probation and the university made sure I got the help I needed in order to get off of probation. the counselors recommend study groups and tutors and everyone is very flexible to your schedule. I'm a full time student who worked 40 hours a week and even with my busy schedule, they all had time to meet with me and get me back on a path that helped me get off of academic probation. This is a wonderful school and I appreciate all the help ths school provides to making sure their students succeed.

Dahshane

For a small school, it is pretty fun. everyone is close, including the faculty. The campus is beautiful. there are so many secluded places where I can go and study. the professors and counselors are very helpful. there is so much to do on campus, its never a dull moment.

Aquela

Dominican University feels like home. It is small enough to get around and just feel cozy. The neighborhood it is in is quite. I feel like I would be able to focus easily. Everyone there s so genuine and nice. The classroom sizes are perfect for the one on one connection from professors. There is plenty of opportunities to get involved and meet new people. What mattes to me the most is that Dominican is very diverse.

milda

Overall I really like Dominican University. Every Wednesday they have a free student activity where they provide food. The services on campus are very helpful. The campus itself is very beautiful. Although very very expensive but you get what you paid for.

Dominican University offers great opportunities to learn, experience, and grow as a person. The professors here truly care about your process and their door are always open to chat or help with assignments. Dominican University was only the college campus tour I attended and immediately fell in love with the scenery along with the charming buildings.

From the first moment that I walked into campus, I felt so welcomed by the staff and the students. Now having spent my freshman year at Dominican, I'm sure that I made the right decision because although the campus is small, it is what I personally need to suceeed. Dominican offers a small class setting where students are each challenged in their own ways both inside and outside of a classroom. I have never been to a school where teachers make such an effort to show that they actually care about us.

Cristian

My overall opinion of Dominican University is that it is a great university. Dominican offers a variety of areas of study. Dominican has a diverse community of students and strive to ensure that everyone is accepted regardless of their background. In addition to this, Dominican offers a lot of resources to help Hispanics and Latinx students to further their professional career.

Jade

Great school! The dorm i stayed in was small but there is a hall with nice room that have a lot of space. You can learn a lot from the faculty here and since the class sizes are small there's more one on one time; you will get the opportunity to bond with the teachers and students.

Kamryn

Dominican University is a nice, quite University in Illinois. Everyone gets along and professors are easily accessible. Everyone comes to support sports teams, and the have many clubs to get involved in. The dorms are nice and clean, and most buildings are connected.

Vanessa

Dominican is a private Catholic University that is very inclusive and filled with opportunities. I've had a pheneomenal experience and I'm so grateful for everything I've learned, the people I've met and the relationships that have formed.

I think it is a very good school that is up and coming but they still have a few things to work out. There is a lot of diversity and so many opportunities for students. Many students are involved and overall everyone is very nice. The professors are also very great and it’s a pleasure to know them.

Sheila

I am a current commuter at Dominican University and have been for the past 3 years. I overall have liked my journey at Dominican. Even though I am a commuter I still spend most of my time on campus studying with my friends or working on my art. Dominican University has a very involved diverse community and the professors on campus are always trying to make sure that their students are getting all the resources they need to pass the class.

Kymm

Dominican is really open and accepting to all students. They pride themselves on their religious background and being open minded to everyone’s opinions and beliefs. Opportunity is a growth on campus and out in the community. Allowing the students to grow successfully if their work is noticed and given chances .

Perla

My overall opinion of Dominican University is very high. There is always great conversations going on, people are accepting, the teachers are helpful, and there are many great places to study. The classes I have taken so far are very interesting. We are required to take seminar classes and my freshman year, the seminar was about finding ourselves and I found that very helpful.

Maria

It has a great interconnectedness and family feel towards the community. Professors are always readily involved and motivational towards one's performance. The classes are small, which I enjoy and it is a campus that is much smaller than other usual universities. The school has a great conveniency and not only is faculty very supportive but also the staff!