Dowling College Top Questions

Currently I am not attending college due to family problems that I am having. My parents are getting a divorce, my mother left town and lives with a new boyfriend, I am ending up getting kicked out of my home by my step-father and his girlfriend and having to find a place to live. I don't have any family or friends that I can stay with so I am on my own. I do plan on attending a community college for nursing next fall in East Peoria, IL and continuing on to the nursing program for OSF Saint Franicis Medical Center in Peoria, IL. Therefore, I would tell myself to apply for as many scholarships as I could, attend college IMMEDIATELY, and be prepared to work extremely hard. I have two jobs and pay for all of my own bills. It isn't easy at all.

Cassy

You're starting a new chapter in your life and try as you might you will never be fully prepared. Though you're a nervous wreck to leave home and be on your own, be excited. You're going to struggle at times and that's okay. No one expects you to be perfect. Freshmen year will be one of the toughest years of your life, but I promise as a senior you will look back on those times and laugh. I know you're in a hurry to grow up, but slow down. Time goes by too fast and these are the years you will cherish, so make sure to enjoy them. It won't always be easy and there will be times when you'll want to run home to mom. Trust not only in what mom and dad have taught you, but trust and believe in yourself. You can do this. College will test you, but you're much stronger than you know. At times it won't seem worth it , but you will leave college a strong, confident, and independent young lady. Your personal growth will amaze us all, and I've never been more proud.

Werlhens

I would have told my High School senior self to apply for more scholarhships and get out that horrible habit of procrastination. College is a completey different ball game. Everything is completey independent and there are no teachers babying students asking for assignments. You either do it or you dont. I also regret not getting sometype of scholarhsup for my first year in college. I regret it everyday but you live and learn. Experiences makes us become better people. We have to go throught the pain and struggle to actaully see for our own eye to see how things are like.

Throughout High School I was usually made fun of and or Bullied due to my weight. In High School I had very little friends and was not sure if I even wanted to attend a College however my parents helped motivate me to go. If I could go back in time to talk to my past self I would tell him that it would have been the worst decission of my life. Attending College has been a life changing moment for me. I go to a school where I can call dozens of students my good friends. I would help motivate my past self to not worry about all of the bad moments that I had to deal with in High School but to become ready for a new beginning. Iwould have also have told my past self in Freshman-Junior year to have done better grade wise. In High School I was a B to B+ student, now looking back I know if I put more effort in I know without a doubt I could have been an A student. Most of the kids who made fun of me are now college dropouts so I now laugh at them.

Alyson

I'm not a, "would-a, could-a, should-a," person. This past year has changed that but only in ways that would better myself, of which are never too late to change. I wish I would have challenged myself more in high school; taken harder classes, worked longer hours, studied more for my SAT's and ACT's. I wish I would have explored my options for outside of Nevada. I wish I believed in myself enough to know that I was and am bigger than the small town I grew up in. I wish I would have taken more time to NOT sweat the little things, and never take them for granted, either. I wish I was able to spend more time with my father, who passed away of cancer a month ago, three days before we were suposed to take a family trip to see my oldest sister graduate from Tulane University. I wish I read more, learned more, experienced more. Now, I'm happy and able to get up every morning and work to pay for school, work to learn. I only wish I would have taken more time to believe in my own future.

Shion

i would try to get my G.P.A higher

If I was able to go back in time to my high school self, I would have a lot of information to give. I would take my high school slef to a library and explain my actions. I would tell her to not give up art no matter what and to do your absolute best while in high school. I would also tell her to look up more scholarships and to join extracuricular activities id possible. Also, to do the best work in Wilson Technological Center.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would impart the advice I wish I had listened to at that time. First, I would reassure myself that if I were not ready to board away at college, then attending a local community college would provide a wonderful first stepping stone to college adjustment. Those first two years provide the gift of time needed to mature and to learn where your major interests are. I finally understand that it does not matter where you start from, which school you attend first, since this is all part of the journey. If that journey can be less stressful, then it is a wise beginning. My other advice would be: major in what you love! As a freshman, don’t worry about exactly which career you will pursue upon graduation. Don’t worry that it may take you an extra year to graduate. Give yourself time to adjust. Although that may seem like a long time, it will not be, in the long run, when you consider that college years are a part of achieving your life’s dreams.

Every freshman should make sure that they know EXACTLY what classes that they need to take, and should not depend on ANYONE else to help them. A sheet that tells them all of thier classes can be picked up at student services. Talk to your professors. It will make a difference in the end. Do not buy books from the bookstore. Get them online. (every college bookstore is expensive) Go to the events. There is always something fun happening. (or free food!)

cynthia

My college experience so far is shaping me in the independant woman I am trying to become. It has teach responsible, wisdom, and given knowlegde. This show me I can accomplish anything I set my mind on.

Jacquelyn

If I could go back in time, I would try to make astrong emphasis on telling myself to apply for many scholarships including athletic scholarships. I would have also recommended to apply to more state schools because of the low tuition costs. I believe that if I participated more in extra curricular activities and made a stronger commitment to varsity sports, I would not be in the hard financial position I am now in with my numerous private student loans. Although I love Dowling College's size and warm community of professors and students, I do wish I could have known the full extent of the debt I would incur by attending a private school on Long Island. If I could do it all over again, I probably would have still chosen Dowling, but I would have tried to be more financially prepared.

The advice I have for my high school senior self, given the ability to travel back in time, is centered around work load and personal health. College is hard, and some high school students will not believe how much time and effort is necessary in order to achieve a decent grade, but, too much work is unhealthy. Taking time to study and complete assignments before the due date is key, but socializing and taking breaks is also important to some degree. Money is tight, and paying tuition bills is stressful, but overwhellming yourself with too much work and not enough relaxation can cause multiple health problems in the present and future. Sleep is also extremely important. During my first semester, I would function on less than 5 hours a night of sleep, and rely heavily on coffee to continue throughout the day. Over time, the coffee does not work, the stress is overbearing, and you begin to feel sick constantly. Continue to work hard and achieve the goals that are necessary, but stay aware of your health and learn to manage time in order to limit stress.

If I were able to travel back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would inform myself that there is practicality to high school and to try harder. I would also inform myself that the college one goes to has a significant impact on one's life, and to research all of the schools with programs in philosophy before I settled. Finally, I would tell myself to try and earn as many scholarships as possible, since tuition is rridiculously high and student loans are incredibly oppressing.

I would tell myself not to blindly go with the flow with everyone. Stick to what you enjoy doing and don't be afriaraid of what other might say or if you fail. Asa human, you are subjected to make mistakes to better yourself. If you let doubts and fear lurking in your head, you have already failed to succed in your future. Take afterschool sports or get together with healthy based friends so you know who you are and find out what makes you, you. We are all the same but our uniqueness is what makes us more interesting and strong.

Fabiola

I would highly encourage for the parents and student to encounter on a tour of the college, and if possible to speak personally to current students at that college to ask them of their honest opinions of the school. Go to the finanical aid office and the registra office to also inquire more informationof the school. Make sure to ask LOTS of questions no matter what! Even though you might think that you are annoying them with questions, it's still best to ask because this is YOUR investment!

First, I would say Make Sure You Go!! Even if you are not entirely sure of what to major in or where you want to be in ten years; go somewhere, start somewhere. If you don't you may never go and that would be a disappointment, you owe yourself to go. Once you're there start some core classes and ask questions, get exposed to new ideas. See what you can do with different degrees and really work to find answers. If you already know you or your child is definitely going to college, make a list of what is really important. In fact, both of you should make seperate lists of what you want out of college. There are so many to chose from there Will be one out there that is right for you, you just have to have an idea of what is right for you. Pay attention to location, class size, activities, curriculum, religion. Don't be afraid to visit, visit 50 if you have to. The steps you make could start the rest of your life, make the right ones and make them important because your important!

Be sure to select a college that not only pertains to your career choice, but a college that you can see yourself enjoying academically and personally. Remember that although you are a college student and an adult, you are still your own person and you deserve to be in a college where you can enjoy yourself. While it is important to work hard and earn good grades to keep up your GPA, but it is also important that you do not overwork yourself and end up having a burnout. You want this experience to be rewarding and enjoyable, not unbearable and ruthless.

Make sure you go to a college that is fun and has a strong focus on academics. Your only a college kid once. Be sure to live it up!

I think that finding the right college is about what you feel is right inside. My father wanted me to go to a less expensive school just to get by and then apply to a four year school. I disagreed with him and here I am today working 2 jobs and going to school full-time just to save up to pay for college. I think that going away to college is a good thing for some students, I believe that I would be a different person if i went away and would have had different experiences but I do not regret staying home. The one big thing about going to any college is that you must get involved and make friends or you won't have any fun. When you visit a college you want to say, "I want to go here". You have to have the feeling of being in you home away from home, then you know you made the right choice.

Areesha

It is imporant to visit and attend orientations before you make your final decision on a college. The college must fit the views and comfort of the individual attending, and be sure that there are effective counselors there to help you through the process.

Marina

find something cost affordable, look into the atmosphere and the types of students that attend the college, look into available scholarships, known where you want to be (close to home or away) be open to all differnt types of people , look at housing, teachers, classroom sizes, and extracurricular activities - get involved at your college

When looking into colleges make sure that you do an adequate amount of research. Visit the campus as much as you can before the student actually will be attending, talk to advisors, professors and students. Take tours of the college campus, the class building as well as the housing facilities, and get a handbook on the college and look through it carefully.

Cecilia

Find somewhere you feel you can fit in. The name of the college on the diploma doesn't really matter once you get into the real world.

Make sure you research everything, campus life, teachers, students, surronding area, school review, and finanical aid.

Pamela

know what you looking for, whether it be large class sizes or small more personalized classes. know what type of setting you will be more likely to preform well in suburban or city like. and what major your interested and how many options the college has for you.

choose the one you like

good location, price range, education

Do a little more research into the school rather than just looking around campus. Talk to people and get real responses from them

Michele

I believe that it is always best to shop around. I think that future students need to visit multiple colleges or universities before making a final decision. Also, I think that they should pick a college or university that has options when it comes to courses. This is best for when students decide to change their majors. Also, speaking to current students and faculty is always an excellent resource. They truly know the college or university best and are usually brutally honest.

Noelle

Choose a school not for one thing choose it because it has everything you want. Its going to be a place for you to learn and borden your mind. As well as a place for you to have fun with plays, sports, clubs, dances, and events. It has to be a place you feel apart of a place where you will make friends for life. The school you choose should challenge you a little and make you step outside your comfort aone. And most importantly you get the best education. Because no matter what you can have everthing taken away from you, but you will always have your knowledege!

A great school for a personal experience. Not completely challening, but enough work.

Katy

Be sure to give yourself enough time to decide, it's never to early to start looking for the college of your choice. Take your time and really make sure that the college is the right one for you. Consider looking at commity colleges for your first two years of school, it's cheap and a great way to figure out what you really want to study. Also leave yourself open to the idea that you career choices can change many times during you college career, so don't limit yourself to a school that focuses on one area specifically in case you change your mind, because that's O.K! This is your time to grow and learn alot about yourself, so take advantage of it, it's fun!

The advice I would give would be, make sure you visit the school before you make a decision. The campus and surroundings make the biggest difference. Also try to ask students on campus what they think of the school. College students can be very vocal when it comes to their honest opinions.

When choosing a college, a student should consider the following factors, which will help determine the right choice for him/her and, thus, help make the most of his/her college experience: 1. class size 2. availability and course selection for your major 3. college location -setting (i.e campus in city or country), climate and how far away it is from home 4. how much college costs and availability of financial aid, if needed 5. dorm/housing, if needed 6. student activities on campus and their interaction with others. After considering these factors, the best advice I could give a student is to make a visit to the potential college of your choice to get "a taste" of life at this college. This opportunity to see the college and talk to students on campus can help you decide if this is the right place for you to be.

Russell

Make sure you make the decision that best suits you and not anybody else!

To find the right college, I believe you must visit all the schools you are applying to. Hands on expierences, a tour, and maybe an over night visit is the best way to really get the feel for the school. Ask a lot of questions when visiting the counslers or your tour guides. They have the best expierence at the college and know a lot more then a high school guidence counsler or a friend. The best advice i could give about having fun at college is do not go to the same school as your best friends. Pick the school that is right for you, but if you happen to love the same school as a friend, do not dorm with them. Get out there and make your own friends.

I would say that the most important thing is to make sure you look around at different locations. Don't rule out the idea of living away; it's a great opportunity. Parents, let your kids go if they want to; it's time for them to start making their own decisions. I would also say that you should not be a workaholic, leave some time for fun in your schedule, but DO NOT slack off. Keep it balanced. Finally, one of the most important things that I've learned about making the most of the college experience: be outgoing, accepting, and especially, involved.

Believe in yourself when it comes to making the right choice. Go with the school that has the best to offer you education wise. But also the school where you know you will enjoy yourself at !

Deanna

Don't just pick a college because it's as far away from home as possible or because it's known for parties. College is a world away from high school no matter if you commute or dorm in your home state or another country. Based on your major, look up the faculty and see if they are well known in their field. Success in life is all about making connections. College is the most important bridge between you and your dream job. Never sit alone in your dorm room (unless you're studying!) because there is always something to do- even if you just go for a walk around campus. Join a club or start a club- it's the best way make friends who share your interests and passions. You'll feel good about yourself, too. When it comes to your school assignments -don't fall behind! You'll find that many professors are flexible with due dates, but if you procrastinate everything- you're going to be cramming papers and studying for finals at the end of the semester.

When you go to look at the school, ask random students what they think of the school. Recruiters, people giving tours, even the students they ask questions are all on payroll, getting paid to lie to you. Don't trust administrators, they don't know whats going on. All of the above is nullified if you are offered a full ride to any school.

Visit many colleges and explore all aspects of it. Living on campus will make the most out of your experience.

To be perfectly honest, no one has the same college experience even if they attend the same university. Everyone responds to tasks & assignments in their own way and at their own pace, and it takes some students longer than others to adjust to college and refine their time management skills. But the main thing that will determine your overall college experience is the major you choose to pursue. If your a science major like I am, the subject matter is going to be very fact intensive and your freedom is going to be severely limited compared to students with different majors if you want to maintain a decent G.P.A.. I would advise students that are undecided to pick a major they might be interested in and just go for it anyway. Even if you switch, the worst thing that would happen is that you would use up some of your electives. But it is a lot better than leaving all of your major classes at the end, and having a ridiculous workload for the last two years of your bachelor's degree. If your dorming, do your work in the library to avoid distractions.

Kristel

The best advice I can give to parents or students looking for the right college is to find one that truly speaks to YOU. Do not just apply to colleges that have the best name or reputation simply because you want something to look good on a resume. Instead, find a place that speaks to you and your own personal journey. Does it suit where you are going in life? Does it feel like a place you'd love to spend the next four years or so? If so, you've found the right college. Certainly there will be road bumps and lots of trials along the way, but try and make the best of it. Get involved in clubs or sports; go to school sponsored events and shows. Make friends and even get to know your professors (yes, they can be cool too). There will be times you want to rip up your 20 page papers and cry in frustration, but just grit your teeth and work at your hardest. But, most importantly, have fun and make the most of your college experience...you'll be missing your college days when you get out into the "real world" !

Angelica

Make sure you visit the schools and talk to current students not just student embassadors because real students will tell you the truth not just sugar code it.