Drake University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Drake University

Angel

Let me put it this way: I got 3 holds on my account in 1 year, all for not submitting a health form. Except, the health form was submitted 5 times, via the online submission, mail-in and eventually just me bringing it in--in-person, during a pandemic, and I'm a high-risk individual. Drake had LOST my PRIVATE HEALTH INFORMATION at least FOUR times. I got a hold on my account for not paying my fall tuition. Except, I have receipts from my student savings account that confirm that the money way paid. I don't know what the hell is going on in Drake's offices, but they're either wholly irresponsible, and shouldn't be allowed anywhere NEAR important information, or they're stealing information and money and need to be in prison. I'm sick of not getting to register for classes, when I've done everything correctly. Maybe this will get the stupid board to listen for once. Don't go to this school. I'll be transferring next year.

Anna

Drake University is a very nice college. It has great academics, and the professors really care about how well the students succeed. Although the neighborhoods surrounding the college may not be the best, public safety does a great job at making everyone feel safe. There are plenty of activities to participate in, and a club for anyone to get involved in some way.

Kailey

Drake is great

Bryce

Drake University is an excellent college that focuses on developing the skills and knowledge in its students. The professors are very willing to help students and keep office hours during convenient hours to facilitate learning. Some professors are even willing to meet outside of their office hours or outside of school hours. The class size is comfortable for a private college and the students are outgoing and kind. The student body as a whole helps to keep Drake University a college that is involved in the community.

Overall, I believe Drake is a good school with plenty of room for improvements. I am pleased with Drake's academics and rigor. I feel challenged, yet I feel as though help is easily accessible. The professors I have had thus far are extremely passionate and wish to see me succeed. I don't like how Drake is big on Greek life. It seems to be the center of campus and people who aren't involved feel left out. Many of the students on campus can be seen as snobby and unfriendly.

Doug

Overall I love the school. It's just small enough to get around with no issue and the class sizes are very small. Working with 8 like minded people in my physics class is very refreshing and class discussions always feel relevant and important. If I were to list any negatives, I would have to say the FYS program for Freshmen students feels very pointless. It's a great way to make friends sure, but the class itself felt pointless and I don't understand why it's a graduation requirement.

miriam

Drake offers many opportunities for many students, I chose to attend Drake this fall because I fell in love with the campus and with the programs. profesers take the time to get to know the students and work with them to fulfill their dreams and aspirations.

Abbygail

I transferred from Iowa State and I'm glad that I did. I really enjoy the smaller class sized and the amount of effort that the professors put into the course in order to aid the students. However, I have found that there are fewer activities on campus due to it being a smaller school.

Paige

Drake is a good academic school, but there isn't much else to do around campus if you don't have a car. Fraternity life is HUGE on campus, which creates too many cliques. Food is TERRIBLE. And our sports are just average. But on the bright side class size is just right, all the building are in good shape and clean. We just got two new building this year! Campus is very clean, and dorms are pretty big and spacious.

Jack

Drake University is a fantastic place for students looking to further their education after High School. The School of Business and Public Administration is second to none in the Midwest. The best thing about Drake University is the way it prepares you for life after college. There's plenty of great people around a beautiful campus, and lots of activities to get involved in, but the main draw here for me was the outstanding academic record.

Morgan

I really like the school they have a great program in my area of interests and professors are very accessible. Class sizes are smaller so I don't feel like a number and professor better gets to know the students. The food is okay, but there are a few close places off campus. The dorms are pretty nice. They are up to date and fairly large for dorm rooms. However, they can get really humid and musty.

Abbey

Drake is phenomenal for its academics and extracurriculars, especially its Pharmacy and Politics scene. Students are all incredibly involved, professors speak to you as adults and respect your ideas and opinions, no matter how different they are. Because it is in the Midwest, there is an imbalance of ethnically diverse students here, but equity and inclusion are huge goals on Drake Campus. The foreign exchange programs and the internships are acclaimed and one of the most prominent points of enrolling at Drake. It has a 98% placement rate after college, the faculty and staff works diligently to find every student who wants one a job opportunity, and you are encouraged to get involved in the job search whenever you are ready. The biggest issues I found with Drake is that, though they give you tons of healthy options, the banquet hall section of campus has hours that are too narrow and difficult to fit into a busy afternoon schedule of classes. The Quad is a great place to eat, but the healthier options aren't as numerous here and depending on when you duck in for food, it can be really packed.

Sophia

It's great. I've met a lot of great people and so far am having a good time at college. The campus is beautiful. Most of the teachers are really nice. The only club I've joined is Rainbow Union, and it's a lot of fun. The classes are sufficiently challenging.

Quynh

Very friendly staff and welcoming students who are always willing to meet new people and are, often time, great conversationalists. Housing can be improved, and the food can definitely be improved, albeit being somewhat decent. They're not very well known for sports aside from Women's Basketball. The pace and standard for the science department is very challenging and demands a lot of commitment and outside-of-class review, which becomes even more intense during the spring semesters when it is only roughly 3.5 months compared to the fall, which means there are exams every few weeks.

shameka

Drake University is a small university that has amazing opportunities for students and staff. One of the best things about it is that it’s easy to get around campus. The staff and the professors here are very helpful. I am glad I choose this university and I am a proud Bulldog !

Meri

Based on the unique opportunities the school provides, I chose Drake University. I saw my sisters journey through Drake, and I knew that it was the school for me. My sister was able to graduate in 3 years, minimizing college debt; she was sought out to receive a full-ride to Drake Law; through her involvement, she was able to build connections with professors and gain new networks throughout Des Moines. From personally viewing her success, I knew that if I could gain similar opportunities to her, I would be unstoppable in my future. I have been able to work with the staff to create a schedule where I can graduate within 3 years, which will save me over $30,000. Due to the hands-on staff, and strong opportunities, I am proud I am a Bulldog.

Cheyann

This school is a place where students can fully thrive. Whether it is through their studies, involvements, or community engagement, there is more than a few things for everyone. Along with students being so driven, the faculty and staff is just as, if not more passionate about helping students and other employees to achieve so much in the unique culture that is Drake University. It can improve on its quality of campus dining food and being more connected with the Des Moines community.

Anya

Drake has amazing academic programs and the small campus and class sizes allows an intimate and exceptional learning environment. The professors and administration do everything to make its students feel welcome and safe in an environment where everyone knows everyone.

Brian

DO NOT COME HERE! Drake University is an awful school. People ridicule you for anything and everything you say. You have to pay $7.00 for every meal in a terrible tasting cafeteria. The other food options aren't delightful either, everything tastes processed and/soggy if you buy in the "C-Store". I repeat DO NOT COME HERE, you'll regret it. Waste of money and time.

Kody

Drake University is an amazing place to be, especially if you are interested in politics! I am a member of Young Democrats, work at the Harkin Institute, am on committees at the Roosevelt Institute, and have had the opportunity to hear several Presidential candidates speak. There are also several other activities you can be involved in. I am a DJ on our campus radio station, and I recently joined a social fraternity that emphasizes scholarship and volunteerism. The class sizes are perfect! No large lecture halls, and the professors know you by name. They are easily accessible, and they work with you because they want you to do well. If you are looking for a small college with ample opportunities for growing into the person you want to be, Drake is the place for you!

Emma

I love Drake! There are so many clubs and sports for the students to participate in. It is very easy for students to be involved, and is strongly encouraged that you do so. There is always some kind of event going on to keep the students busy. The class size makes it easy for the students to get to know their professors and excel in whatever it is that they are doing.

Chelsea

I didn't know what to expect from Drake when I decided to attend the college but my first semester has been a huge eye opener. Now I feel confident to recommend Drake to my high school friends and family members. The Drake business school is magnificent! They have a wonderful staff and team to help their student do well.

Cassie

I had a great experience at Drake University. All of the professors I had were extremely knowledgeable, personable, and supportive. I participated in many on campus organizations and met many smart and talented people. The Greek system is very strong at Drake and offers a lot of scholarship and leadership opportunities for their members.

Angelica

Drake University is an amazing place to further your education. We brought Drake (the raper) to Drake ( the school) so we are pretty cool. The class sizes are small, typically around 30, which is an awesome chance to get to know the wonderful professors. Also there are so many ways to get involved from greek life to being a resident hall ambassador to being on an inter mural team. 10/10 recommend Drake University!

Ann

If you read one review, read this one. 120K for a college education is not worth it. Drake University is 30K a year, at least. Absolutely do not attend Drake, if you are paying for school yourself. I would also highly advise you pay no more than 40K for all four years, if you decide to attend. If you are spending more than that sum, do not attend Drake University. It is not worth the amount of crying you will do when you pay $900 a month in loans. It is not worth the anguish you will endure following graduation. Drake is no different than any other college in the US. Your education will be no better than a public education and you will be left with four times the student debt the average student accrues. Please, if you are reading this, listen to this one piece of advice. Figure out what public school you want to attend. Talk to their advisor and find out what elective courses are required. Then, take those credits at a community college and then transfer them to the public university. After finishing the elected courses, attend the public university, and try to graduate in 2-2.5 years. This will save you so much money as well as the grief and agony that I have endured upon graduation. Attending Drake University is the biggest regret in my life. Attend this school, and you will surely be fighting to stay afloat as I am now.

Aaron

The university is very small, which provides intimate class sizes and lots of one-on-one opportunities with professors. There are so many clubs for all interests and it is easy to start a club if you want to. Professors genuinely care about you- I have had personal conversations with professors in my department who I haven't even had in class yet! Especially for environmental science and politics, Des Moines is a great location with many of internship opportunities.

Kelsey

A great school that wants students to succeed in all areas of life, especially academically. There is a lot of things to do on campus and off campus that offer a wide variety for interests of all types. The facilities on campus are new and great. Drake really strives to be one of the top schools not only in the state, but in the country!

stephanie

I am a prospective student and I'm super excited to attend Drake University! It's been my dream school for the longest time ever and I can't wait to be on campus in the fall. I love everything about it from the class sizes to all of the outside class activities.

Autumn

It is amazing! I can't imagine going anywhere else! For me, it's the overall Drake culture that keeps me going. The faculty, the students, the opportunities are all apart of what makes Drake unique! Not to mention all the organizations to make your free time productive! Go Bulldogs!

Cecelia

The professors are amazing, most of them truly care for the students and our education. The institution itself could give a shit, especially if you're not in their pharmacy or business programs. If you want to come here for fine arts, don't bother. The Fine Arts Center is falling apart, most of the programs are underfunded, and the faculty are overloaded.

jyoti

I love Drake and would really recommend anyone interested. Great professor who is always there to support you. You will love it.

Cassandra

I love the Drake community and the Drake neighborhood. I am about seven hours away from home and Drake has helped me feel welcome and that I belong here on campus. I have made tons of friends already and continue to find more people on campus. Drake has a great variety of programs to choose from.

Jacob

I personally loved all 4 visits i've taken and each time i step on campus i like it even more than the last. I loved it from the very beginning and knew that's where i wanted to spend the next 6 years of school at. I am going to be attending drake next year and couldn't be more excited for the opportunities and memories that will accompany with attending there.

Grant

Drake is a wonderful campus with some many opportunities for students of all types. Drake talks about diversity in their mission statement, and it shows through their efforts to be inclusive of everyone. Drake provides students with all necessary tools for success. Whether it be helping out with a resume, ordering business cards, or connecting students to local businesses for internships and jobs, Drake is willing to help in any way possible to make our experience at Drake the best it can possibly be.

Ashlyn

My overall opinion of Drake University, is that it is a mediocre school for the price.

Trinity

My overall opinion of Drake University is that the academics are outstanding. Depending on the reason you attend college, if it is fully for the education than Drake is an awesome place to go. As far as the social life and this may differ for others, it isn’t quite there as it would be for a state university. Drake is full of very self driven individuals and has endless resources for its students.