Philadelphia, PA
Drexel University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Drexel University

bud

Drexel's good point? It's co op program. It's the right size. Ppl think you're not that smart if u go to Drexel. I'd change group projects. It's been my experience that most TA's or professors give out group projects. You can not control what others due and their participation and it hurts your GPA. Party school. Had trouble with their financial aide ppl...they were not helpful or knowledgeable (i have a grant they said i do but i don't...wtf does that mean?). Not too much school pride. No football team. Ugly campus.

While diverse most racial/religous groups stay within their group. If you are from the suburban midwest or south and are not used to being around ppl of different races then drexel is not for u. It's not that u won't be accepted it's that you might feel uncomfortable if you're not open to it. While i feel basically safe at Drexel, it is in a bad neighborhood so some ppl might not feel safe. It's made up of many commuters. While the location is convenient to public transportation, Drexel segregates commuters. There are different activites and programs for them. It doesn't seem like they are welcome.

Drexel used to hold some clout, but it has gone downhill. Classes are taught by TA's. Classes are canceled a lot. Too many group projects. Too many bs courses that aren't necessary. Not enough to do on campus. No green spaces to just go and chill. Bad neighborhood.

Some professors do. Engineering (cause it's more hands on). Least favorite...would be university...it's a bs course and a waste of time. Most classes work on group projects and your grade depends on that. If you want good grades go someplace else because u cannot control other peoples participation and most are happy to let someone else do all the work and don't care about their grades. Drexel takes anyone and on top of that gives them scholarships and grants. Being in honors is no different than being in the generic system. I'm not actually sure which it's geared toward. Yes, it has a co op program that sounds fantastic, but you also forfeit vacations. Yes, it offers you the opportunity to get your master's degree in 5 yrs, but do outside companies see that as a REAL master's degree or just what drexel is calling a master's? Just being in the co op does not guarantee someone a job for life.

It's a party school....'cause there's nothing else to do. The DAC runs some good events but not enough...and the hours that the DAC office is open to purchase tickets is not convenient to those of us who actually attend class. There's not much to do on campus other than party....so many go over to University of Pennsylvania's campus for fun (ice skating, restaurants, etc).

Drexel is not up to par with other colleges. They let everyone in their honors program. It's a party school. Bad neighborhood.

Jordan

The best thing about Drexel is that it is an already respected university, ranked 108th in the country, and it is also climbing in the rankings and continuing to improve in every way. It is fun to watch things around you getting better and better. One thing that I would change is to focus some of the sooner infrastructure improvements on student life issues, such as outdoor recreation, retail, and housing, rather than on academics. The northern part of the campus has been improving quite as quickly as the rest. The school is just right. It is large with 20,000 students, but it feels like a small school because many students are commuters and many are on co-op, so you see the same people every day. Most people are impressed when they hear I go to Drexel. Some who are not familiar with the city will judge it based on what they hear on the news or on "Fresh Prince of Bell Air", but that is bound to happen with people who don't give cities a chance. I spend most of my time in a lab that I work in. There are plenty of opportunities to work on campus, even doing research within your own major, as undergraduates. This is a great opportunity. Philadelphia IS a college town, with 80+ colleges, and West Philadelphia has Drexel and University of Pennsylvania right next to each other and is called University City. Many people hate Drexel's administration and complain of red tape, but I have never experienced it, which is weird because most complain about the financial aid office but I have plenty of financial aid and have never had problems dealing with them. One thing that is frustrating and that the bursar's office and financial aid office don't work together as closely as they should. Recently there was a student who was arrested for identity theft. She and a boyfriend from University of Pennsylvania moved into a Center City Philadelphia condo and stole people's identities. The story had little to do with Drexel except that she happen to go here, but it was a pretty high profile story. The amount of school pride isn't as high as I would have hoped, but it is definitely growing, and rallying around our sport's teams is what is starting it. Drexel also hosted a Democratic Debate in Oct. 2007 and and in Jan. 2008 the Olympic table tennis tournament for the U.S., two things that students can pride themselves in. Also, as the campus aesthetics improve, students are becoming more and more proud. Students are rallying for change in all of aspects of the university like I've never seen before and it is bringing plenty of positive change. I think Drexel is unique with its location being close to Center City and walkable and also next to University of Pennsylvania. Most frequent student complaint is probably the administration, but I believe even that is improving, and I've never had any issues personally.

There are plenty of different groups on campus in all of these categories, and many fraternities and sororities on campus. It is impossible to not find a group that you would be interested in joining. I don't think many students would feel out of place because of the "kind" of student they are. I do think you need to be very mature though or the "launch" into the real world that Drexel gives you can be scary. Students wear a wide range of clothing. Some dress up, some dress normal, and some wear sweatpants or pajamas to class. Most students are traditionally from PA, DE, and NJ, but this dramatically changing and students are coming from all the states and other countries. Drexel was founded on the principle of allowing low and middle class people get an education, and that hasn't changed. A large chunk of Drexel's students are on heavy financial aid. The financial backgrounds have a wide range and are pretty well distributed. Students constantly talk about how much they will earn one day because Drexel is geared towards getting a job.

I think all of these stereotypes used to be true, and some are to an extent, but they are dwindling. For example, it is still mainly an engineering school, with 1% of the engineers that graduate every year in the U.S. coming from Drexel. However, its Business college (LeBow) has really developed into a strong and integral part of the school. The campus is on the small side and it used to be horribly ugly, but it is turning around. Drexel has poured $500 million into infrastructure changes and built almost a building every year in the last 5 or so years. In the next five years there are 10 new buildings/additions planned. There was a high male-to-female ratio, but the gap is closing and is expected to be 50-50 in the next 5-10 years. Some students are pessimistic, but that is because with no more summers off and having to immediately jump into the real world with co-op and having to find an off-campus apartment and pay utilities, etc., students have to mature quickly and some of them just aren't ready for it. If students don't make friends and find things to do or get involved with in Philadelphia or on campus, Drexel can be a very lonely place.

Most professors know my name. In your freshman year, some of the very general classes are big (Chemistry 101, etc.), but after that, all of my classes have been very small, 10-20 students. Favorite classes are my specialized computer science classes, and my least favorite was Calculus. Students study fairly often. The library is always packed and students asked for a 24/7 place on campus to study and Drexel just renovated a wing of the library to be 24/7 and it has a food cafe. There are many organizations such as the Drexel Democrats and Republicans who hold intelligent debates off campus, etc. I think students are competitive with themselves, but I do not feel a lot of competition against other students, which is really nice. My major is Computer Science. The department is really nice and my advisors have been very good to me. I've been able to get close to a lot of my professors and I also have a job through the department in one of their labs, and it pays very well and I can make my own hours. I do not spend time with professors outside of class, except in my job at the lab. Drexel's education is definitely geared towards getting a job with the co-op system. When you tour Drexel the first thing they show you is where you will work on co-op, the percentages of students who graduate with a job, the percentages of students who work for a former co-op after graduation, and your starting salaries. The school is very geared towards getting a job and I think that is unique and very good.

Most popular clubs, teams: Dac Pack and the men's basketball team. I am involved with the Triangle, the student newspaper for the university. It is fun and basically like writing for a real newspaper. Students in their dorms do leave their doors open in my experience. Athletic events and theaters are popular, and not only does Drexel have this, but Philadelphia has many theaters and professional sports teams to follow. Center City has over 500 restaurants to eat at, so there is plenty of places to go on a date. 2am on a Tuesday: Going to a party or out at a club or bar in Center City. There are plenty of parties if you know where to look. Fraternities are sororities are a big part of Drexel. There are many different ones and their houses are actual houses so the people that get to live there are limited and exclusive, but they throw a lot of parties to compensate. On the weekends there is plenty of do at school or in the city, whether it is sporting events, things at the PA Convention Center, restaurants, etc.

Stereotypes about Drexel are that it is mainly an engineering school and that it has a small and ugly campus. Stereotypes about Drexel students include that there is a high male-to-female ratio and that students are very pessimistic.

Jim

One thing I'd change is the food service at Drexel. It's greasy, expensive, and inconvenient. If you can't make it to the dining center for a grilled cheese or some soggy chicken breast, you can head over to Kelly Deli or Ross Commons for more quesadillas, burgers, fries, or pizza. Vegetables? Fruit? Oh, they have some fruit...but it'll cost more than that double cheeseburger with bacon. I'm not sure how it works at every other school, but at Drexel, all of the administrators get to be Senior Interim Associate Directors of something. I'm really not sure what some of the higher up Administrators do…I know our President is probably on campus only a few days a month (if that). We send him to India and to California so much (on the student's dime), that they actually just hired a "Executive Vice President and Chief of Staff. Seriously, can I just have someone answer a phone call when I call the main office or someone to help me process my transcript request? Greek Life at Drexel is probably the best thing to have ever happened to me. I've found a great group of guys to call my brothers for life, but besides that, I've networked for jobs, developed great public speaking and time management skills, and enjoyed college life.

Most students are from the tri-state area.

We need a new president. One who is actually on campus once and a while and who cares about students--not just about making money off of us. Once you get in, you can't get out of Drexel. They're going to set me up to be very successful, but they're also going to take all of my money along the way.

No, Drexel is unlike any school I know of because they put together a wide range of students...from top scholars all the way down to other individuals who may not make the best numbers but will have a promising future. And, as everyone knows, people always see the bad, not the good.

I don't have anything to comapre our academics to because i'm sure it's the same as any other school--you can put in as much work as you want. There are the kids that have 2.0's and don't put in the work, but people can have a 3.6 and be successful as well. The college of business has hired some experienced and great professionals to teach. I'd say the education at Drexel, mixed with the coop, is geared towards getting a job. Don't come to drexel just to go to college--come becuase you want to do something with your life.

Greek Life and the DAC pack are the two most popular groups on campus. Students in the dorms definately leave their doors open and are very willing to meet new people. The dating scene is terrible. Greek life is pretty much one of the most important things on this campus (in relation to Drexel Activities). The greeks are involved all across campus and dominate every aspect of college life. They are the RA's, presidents of student orgs, work studys, student staff memebers, and involved all across campus.

Drexel just has this wonderful feeling when you step on campus. That's what made me decide to go there. It has a great sense of community, the people really make the school. I am on campus just about all day because I work on campus also. I really couldn't imagine going anywhere else. Plus, Philly is great especially University City because there are so many student in the same area as Drexel.

Drexel has a very diverse population. I do not believe that any kind of student would feel out of place at Drexel. I believe that there is a niche for anyone. Student here are really motivated and you can tell that by talking to anyone. And because the student body is so motivated it help you to keep your own motivation. I think a lot of students are politically aware. Drexel held the Democratic debate and it was unbelievable to see the school come together as much as it did.

Professors are honestly my favorite part about Drexel. I have become very close to many professors and think they truly want you to succeed. Drexel academics is very unlike many other Universities. Drexel's academics gears towards your major, you do not take classes that you will not need and there is a lot of hands on learning which will help you once you enter the work force. All professors have so much work experience and many of them are still working in their field that you receive a lot o up to date information that you cannot find in a text book.

I think the dorms makes your freshman year. I no longer live on campus, but it was one of the best things I have ever experienced. Everyone leaves there doors open and its a great community, especially when it's hard to be away from home. For example, one night freshman year I was pulling an all nighter to finish a project for class and two other students on my floor stayed up with me all night to help motivate me and made me coffee and just hung out. Your fellow classmates want you to succeed. There are like over 180 clubs on campus, plus you have the entire city of Philadelphia. There is so much to do that isn't partying it's unbelievable. There are fraternities and sororities on campus and you can be involved in them, however it is not a school where you have to be. A ton of students go out to our basketball games, our biggest student enthusiasts for sports are called the DAC pack and it has over a thousand students that are involved. Most students here love Drexel and really enjoy getting involved into on camps.

One of the best things about Drexel is the co-op and the location. There isn't anything I would change. The size is just right, smaller campus with medium population makes it so you know a lot more people. Many are somewhat impressed, a few have never heard of it. I spend most of my time on campus, either in class or hanging out with friends in the office. The whole area is somewhat like a college town but since it is in the city it is more of an urban version of a typical college town. We are next to a few university to this entire side of Philly is like one giant college campus. The administration is pretty decent, they do the job that is needed of them to the best of their ability. There has not been anything terribly controversial on campus we have had some minor things happen, with someone being arrested for identity theft and that is about it. There is a ton of school pride, everyone always gets hyped for the basketball games. Drexel runs on the quarter system which is a little unusual for colleges. One experience that I will always remember is when the Democratic Presidential Debate was held at our school. The most frequent complaint is the traffic in order to get to class.

There are many different religion groups on campus, but everyone blends together. No one would feel out of place at Drexel, unless you are a close mined person then you may feel out of place. Most students wear jeans and a decent shirt to class or sweats, depending on where in the term we are. Everyone interacts, we are really an open campus with everyone getting along. Four tables would either be a table of all girls, all boys, a mixture. All the tables generally have the same type of people at them, sometimes you will see a table of a sports team. Most students are from Pennsylvania or New Jersey and we do have a high percentage of international students. Most students are scholarship students. Many students are politically aware and active. Our political groups do a lot of things to get people involved. Most are democrats but there is a decent size of center and right. Some students like to talk about how much they will make one day.

Well sort of, those two colleges are our largest colleges so there is a higher percentage of engineers and business students.

I have some professors that know my name, the ones where the classes are smaller then thirty students. My favorite class are my labs, I love being able to do things with my major and since my major is chemistry, the chemistry labs are my favorite. I really get to do things on my own and experiment. My least favorite are the large lectures just because it is harder to get the personal experience. Most students study a little each night. Yes class participation is common in the smaller classes. Professors want to know what you think. Yes intellectual conversations are held outside of class especially when there is a hot topic left over from class. Students want to the best that they can but they are always willing to help a fellow student. The most unique class that I have taken is my education classes. My major is a rather small one which is nice. Everyone knows each other and more then willing to make a recommendation or help if you need it. All the professors take the time to help you if you need it as well. I don't spend time with my professors outside of class but I know students who do. I feel Drexel's academic requirements really make you a well rounded student and you get more then the average college student since we take many more classes then the average college student. The education at Drexel is about learning what you want to learn and how you want to learn which really does prepare you for life after college just simply has a consequence but that is not the main goal of it all.

The most popular groups are the DAK Pack, CAB, and the student ambassadors and of course Greek life. I am involved with the student ambassadors, we help prospective students with making their college decision. We work events and open houses, we are the face of Drexel. Most students leave their doors open in the dorms. Basketball games are extremely popular as well as a few other athletic events. Guest speakers and theater are popular some events are more popular then others. It depends on who and what it is. Most people date within the circle of friends although it is a pretty open and busy arena. I met my closest friends through the organizations and classes that I am involved in. If I am awake at 2am on a Tuesday I am either studying or out with friends. There is always a few dances, comedy shows, and spring jam that happen every year. Most people party on the weekends. Greek life is somewhat important but it is not the end all be all of college life. Last weekend I went to a couple parties and was studying for midterms. You can go shopping, to the movies, or out to a restaurant. There is a lot to do in Philadelphia, museums, sporting events, shopping, theater, and movies.

That we are all either engineers or business students.

Drexel University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.