Drexel University

« See more reviews of Drexel University

Drexel is an abusive father. You know how loving he can be when you manage to stay on his good side, but most of the time you just wonder why he has to hurt you, and it makes you want to run away from home. The administration is Drexel's inner child molester. The co-op people, who are supposed to teach professionalism, don't answer their phones and will be busy with something else when you show up for an appointment. Financial Aid will fuck you and make your little sister watch. I'm a National Merit Finalist, which normally gets you a full scholarship at Drexel, but they wouldn't give me the scholarship because I graduated high school as a junior and was enrolled when I got the Finalist letter. After I pushed they said the program was new the year after I applied, but all I hear is I would have got more money if I lazed through high school another year, and they don't want to reward talent if they don't really have to. Don't listen to me, though. Draw your own conclusions. The new president (Fry) puts on looks of caring, but reeks of the same old song and dance. Time will tell.

Do not let the GPA system discourage you from taking challenging classes. It is unfortunate that if we take difficult classes, we might not do as well as others who are taking easy classes and the student with the easy class will certainly look better on paper with his/her high GPA, but you will have learned so much more by taking higher level classes that Drexel offers. Since we're in school longer, we have an opportunity to take more classes than students in other universities, so I'd encourage incoming students to consider taking challenging classes like quantum mechanics, statistical mechanics, programming etc that might not be required for their majors. It is really beneficiary for co-op b/c employers are really impressed to see that a CHE understand quantum physics and programming can apply it to semi-conductor processing.

Sure, every major university has problems. There is quite a bit of administrative red tape at Drexel, the campus isn't quite picturesque, and it's an expensive school. That being said, in my opinion, there are far more upsides than downsides. Drexel is a school that is on the cusp of greatness (a phrase I stole from another review here), and you want to hop on this train while you still can. Construction is crazy on campus here and Drexel's reputation is skyrocketing. You don't want to miss out! If you want to work hard while still having fun and come out of college with a degree that means something, Drexel is the school for you.

Drexel University has a quarter system where students are challenged day in and day out and work during their coop cycle (fall-winter or spring-summer). This allows students to gain maximum experiential learning through joining the work force and networking effectively. Addtionally, international coop offers the opportunity to challenge language barriers are view the world from a different perspective. Furthermore, our president, John Fry, makes it his sole mission to get us involved in the community and thus makes sure everyone has a community service requirement and can even minor in things like leadership development.

College is college no matter where you go. What makes Drexel stand out? The city, the opportunity (Co-Op), the people, and the knowledge that its growing in a good way. You want to go to college to drink and meet people of the opposite sex? It'll happen everywhere. You want to become a leader in an organization? It'll happen everywhere. You want to learn a lot and better yourself? It'll happen everywhere. You want to leave college and think the "real world" is a piece of cake compared to what you dealt with at while in school, especially because now you're gettin' a big fat paycheck? It'll happen at Drexel.

Drexel University has a high success rate for their nursing program. They report a hundred percent success rate on the HESI examination for there nursing students. They do CO-OP which are 6 month externships to get you introduced into the field. Also they have quarter semesters rather than two semesters. They have a hundred percent success rate on the HESI for graduating nursing students because if you dont pass you get a health admistrator degree instead of a nursing degree. Also, the six month externships cost students about $20,000 each even though you don't attend classes.

Drexel University is an extremely fast-paced learning enviroment. Every course that a student takes is specific to your major. With a 10-week term as opposed to a 15-week sememster, classes are constantly going over new material. The student must be prepared to start working towards their major right off the bat. It is an extremely challenging school. It is often hard to take a time to rest as academics consume a lot of my time. If you are looking for a fast paced and specific learning path Drexel is for you. If not, find somewhere else.

The focus that Drexel University places on their students career lives after graduation. They include one or three six-month co-op rounds for undergraduate students with possibly over 300 companies. Drexel also offers career fairs, job workshop seminars, networking events, guest speakers, career center services, mandatory classes that focus on personal and professional development (resumes, presentations, proper social media etiquette, etc.), as well as hands on classes to prepare students for their industry.

Drexel University provides a unique combination in its Co-op program and location in the city of Philadelphia. As a Psychology Major, it will be extremely easy for me to integrate my Co-op experience with the unique needs of individuals in the city. I look forward to using both in order to assist individuals in need in the city as well as establish connection for other potential employment. The amount of experience Drexel University provides, in both its Co-op program and environment are unmatched.

Drexel's co-op program and quarter system is what made this school my first choice. Since the school runs on a quarter system, courses at drexel are ten weeks long. This allows you to learn more material because you are taking on more courses within a year. The drexel co-op program allows you to take two quarters off from learning to spend six months working a full-time industry job within your major. This is great because drexel students will have full-time work expirence before they graduate.