Drexel University

« See more reviews of Drexel University

There appears to be a lack of "real" concern for students at the adminstrative level. This can be disconcerting for students dealing with financial aid, scheduling, academic advising, or other issues. While the school recognizes this problem and has been making a steady attempt to improve the quality of service and help it provides to students, there has been no significant improvements in this area. Students are often treated as a number instead of person, are oftentimes ran in circles, given insufficient help/support for pressing issues. Networking helps to amerliorate this issue but doesn't fully eradicate it.

The worst thing about Drexel University is also the best thing--the quarter system. As opposed to semesters like most universities, Drexel uses a quarterly system in which terms are ten weeks long. Despite being shorter, students take as many credits as they would at a semester college and learn as much information. However, the material is crammed into a shorter period of time. We're expected to do more work on our own, have midterms almost immediately, and overall work at an extremely fast pace. Although it seems rushed, I like these because it keeps me more focused overall.

The cost of attendance relative to the amount of financial aid recieved by students at Drexel is relatively disproportionate. While Drexel is a reputable university it is also fairly new and does not have as big of an endowment as other schools. Because of this, the amount of aid recieved by students leaves much to be desired for and although it does the best that it can, some students are left with high, possibly unfeasible bills. What continues to draw students to Drexel, however, is its paid coop program as well as a myriad of specialized majors.

I know for a fact that Drexel University is an incredible institution that fully prepares their students for the future with the Co-Op program that which many other universities do not offer but I would have to say the worst thing about this university is again the extremely high cost of tuition. Yes, graduates get an incredible education and make many connections from their work experience but the incredibly high cost of tuition just sets the students up for an unbelievable amount of loans that they will be buried with after graduation.

The worse thing about my school is the difficulty of the classes. This problem is due to the fast paced ten week terms that make it difficult to stay on top of every class on your schedule. Students can have sixteen to twenty credits which is hard when you have fifteen week schedules, so imagine having five less weeks. After getting adjusted to the schedule, you can be successful and enjoy your college experience. You just need to learn how to keep on top of studying and not let stress get to you. Take time to breathe and enjoy college.

I feel that the worst thing about the school is the amount we pay for the tuition. Drexel is about 60 thousand dollars for a year including housing and most other resources. I just dont see where the money is all going. I feel as if all the money we spend is just going to making our school look better rather then the things that should matter. Better food, more houses, or even sports. Everything that you buy is very overpriced and because you are always dissatisfied with all the prices, your school spirit ends up not being very high.

I would say the worst thing about my school would be its reputation to most of the world of academia. For the past several years Drexel Universitys rank has rose. The U.S. News & World Report in its annual "America's Best Colleges". The 2008 rankings placed Drexel 108th out of 4500 college's and universities in America. Not bad if you ask me. The ranking is trully amazing but I personal feel that the value of the drexel education is undervalued by the ranking, and I truly belive Drexel is on par with Penn State and UPenn.

This school had the best major in the world. With the combination of business and engineering this was really the perfect school for me. However, at the time of my school search I didn't see the price tag on this perfect major. So first and foremost I wish I payed more attention to the price tag. Furthermore, while the co-ops and the quarter system is great in some aspects, it makes the schedule a rush. A quarter is over before you know it, which means that you have to pay attention and study hard from day one.

I think the school's use of money is the worst. It's clear to see that the university uses it to fund construction for more building on campus rather than fix problems that students have attempted to address in the past. Every year, financial aid packages get reduced while the cost of attendance increases. Despite the change to a quaterly billing system to make it more affordable for students, they decreased overall grants and also removed disbursements from the quarters when a student has their co-op cycle.

The worst thing about Drexel is Penn. Drexel is located right next to the University of Pennsylvania, and living in the shadow of an Ivy League school can be a downer at times. Drexel is an amazing school, we have one of the bust engineering programs in the country, one of the best business programs in North East, and one of the fastest growing art programs in the area. It really is a great school, but the shadow of Penn is always there to remind you you’re not in the Ivy League.