Drexel University

« See more reviews of Drexel University

To my high school self: 1)Work harder. High school is not really that hard as you thought it was, well compared to college anyway. Pick up better study habbits and try harder. You could of definitely been Valedictorian if you didn't slack off. 2) Also, grow some confidence. Be confident about the way you look. 3) Be confident in your faith because its the only thing that is keeping you going here at Drexel. 4) Stay in touch with your high school friends during the summer because you will lose contact with a bunch of them once college starts. 5) Appreciate your family more. They are all you have and are the only ones that will have your back no matter what the situation 6) Apply to other colleges so your options are more open then just choices between a few schools. 8). Try to get more patient contact hours so you aren't freaking out now when you have to apply to Physicians Assistant school in 1 year and don't have enough hours. 7) FInally, don't worry and be happy. You're doing the best you can and that's all anyone can ask.

If I were able to talk to my 18 year old self I would tell him to wait and consider. College is certainly a great venue to explore yourself and get a great education, but it is more of a fools errand to go just for the sake of going. College must be more about realizing your full potential in what you want to do, not a destination of peers. College should be something you choose to go to after you have had time to get to know yourself more outside of the classroom, apart from pure theory and the friends you grew up with. Finding who you are takes time, and is worth the investment, but to spend an exhorbent amount of money on a hybrid of finding yourself and finding your vocation is a costly venture. I would strongly urge my younger self to absolutely go to college, but to spend at least a year unplugged from the rat race of getting the degree, and plugged into real life. Take a job doing something you have never tried before. If my younger self is so insistent upon going to college, I'd recommend community college for your cores.

Start your college and scholarship applications early. It will make your life a lot easier and give you a lot more power over your options. Be ready and open to meet and interact with new kinds of people, both good and bad, and the unique experiences that come with them. Everyone is probably as lost as you are - they're usually just hiding it, like you'll want to - so allowing yourself to ask for help whenever you need it is a smart choice to take pride in. Communicating with your professors and advisors whenever you need help is also a great way to start forming better relationships with them. Learn how to study and work with groups, you can't expect and don't want to do everything by yourself. Eliminate boredom and distraction however you can from your classes and your work, being more engaged with help you retain information and feel more satisfied with the way you spend your time. Last piece of advice: you'll mess up eventually, maybe more than once. Everyone does. Just pick yourself back up and try again as soon as you can.

If I could go back in time and speak to myself as a high school senior, I would reassure myself that all would work out for the best. As a high school senior, I was anxious and unsure much of the year. Senior year was like a frenzy, consumed with so many applications, interviews, tests, questions and decisions, that I felt as if I had little control over my future. I wasn't peaceful during that year because there were uncertainties and twsits and turns that I never could have envisioned. But I could have told myself that somehow the right path would become clear. I needed to realize that I had tried my hardest in high school and I simply must have faith that good opportunities were coming my way and that I would be able to recognize and seize those choices. As a senior, my realization that all was not within my conrol made me feel a sense of panic. Over the past year, I've realized that no one has complete control--this is a fact of life. We must make the best choices where we can, but also accept and even enjoy uncertainties.

Dear high school senior, You are about to begin on an amazing journey in your life. It will have high points and low points but do not worry, you will be able to get through everything you face and be proud of your accomplishments. As you begin this journey, you will need to remember to breathe. It may sound silly now but you will see just how important it is. Everyone needs to take time to just stop and listen to what their body is telling them. By breathing, you avoid stress which can consume your college self if you let it. While you will discover quickly how important GPA is, do not let a number define who you are. All of your life accomplishments can never be summed up by two numbers. Above all remind yourself that you are an amazing individual who has overcome so much to get to this point in your life. It will not always be easy but you will be able to keep pushing through because that is what you know how to do best. Be confident in your knowledge and enjoy this wonderful chapter in your life. Good luck and you got this!

Go to a college where you can show your passion and where you can give back to the community. I have planned Bone Marrow drives, a 3-on-3 basketball tournament to help raise money for the V Foundation for Cancer Research and I attend the Jewish Relief Agency every month to build and deliver boxes to those Russian Jews who are unable to provide for themselves on a regular basis. One of the reasons why I was named the IFC Varsity Athlete of the Year, the IFC Man of the Year and I received the Alpha Epsilon Pi Most Outstanding Undergraduate Award in North America in because when you have passion, you can overcome any obstacle and all adversity that is thrown toward you. This might sound cliche, but just believe in what you believe in, and do not let others stand in the way of your dreams. Sometimes, making those dreams a reality takes longer than expected, but do not give up because there is always a light you should follow that will guide you to the path of success. You just have to trust in yourself and believe with your heart.

Put down that video game and listen up! You can't coast on high test scores alone once you get to college. Unfortunately, it took me (you) a year to understand that. Your SAT scores were high and frankly high school was easy so you maintain a decent GPA. What you lack is an understanding of work ethic and study habbits. The first year in college was brutal. You got into a good school, but along with that came a tough school. You will realize the world is filled with smart people and you now have no advantage over anyone. The first year kicks you in the behind. Frett not, though! You do learn how to study and get 4.0's or just shy of 4.0's for every term since. You will realize a whole new world of things you can accomplish opens when you apply yourself, whether at school or at work. Also, speaking of work, internships are the most valuable thing you can do with your free time! Well, I hope something sunk in. There are tough times ahead (cancer...), but fear not, the world is an amazing place and you can overcome any challenge!

The one piece of advice I would give to myself as a high school senior would be to attend a college or university that is not in a different state. Looking back this is one choice I have made in which I have doubt. I never had the opportunity to live in another state; even temporarily during my college years. I feel that attending college in another state would have afforded me the opportunity to experience living elsewhere while still having the opportunity to come “home”. It would have provided me with the perspective needed to make a more informed decision as to the type of community in which I wanted to raise a family. I am very happy with the life I have today but I feel that not having experienced living in another area has hampered my ability to make informed decisions about the best community in which to raise my family. In retrospect I’m not sure if I would have been mature enough to handle moving to another state and attending college but if I were to do it would be the one thing I would like to do differently.

A Note from the future: Hello Minnie, You don't know me but I am you in the future . I am writing this letter to you now at the 30 and I want to help you to be as successful as possible for your future education. First, stop being a procrastinator! At 30 we are still procrastinating in grad school. We could be so much better if we did not procrasitnate. Please get better at this if you can. Second, don't worry about not knowing what you want to major in or feeling the pressure of going immedialtey into grad school after college. Life experiences will help you to be so much more successful and have more to add to your discussions when you do eventually go to grad school. Not knowing what to major in will help you to determine what your best at through exposure to other opportunities. Lastly, I know that the advice I gave is easier said than done considering the source (LOL) we do tend to stress over everything but one of the best things I've learned is that we will be a success no matter what. It's our destiny. Good luck!

Dear18-year-old me, DO ALL THE OPTIONAL HOMEWORK. The term optional is a trick. In college "optional" is defined as "if you want to pass you'll do this." And look out for scholarships! They are specifically made for people who think ahead and look while their young. Use websites like campusdiscovery.com to gain insight on where you'll be. Every day not doing something is a day loss, so don't sit inside and play video games with your new friends, go out and explore the campus that is new to all of you. Speaking of exploring, GET INVOLVED. There is no reason to miss the great opportunities that the university clubs offer. They plan things that are way funner and way cheapier than something you can plan yourself and they take care of all the logsitics for you! It's also a great way to meet new people. Lastly, don't go to college to get straight A's, go to college to LEARN. Your degree will mean nothing to you if you don't feel like you gained the knowledge you came to get. Sincerely, Present Me. PS: Freshman 15 is a real thing.