Drexel University

« See more reviews of Drexel University

I have come to know myself and what I want to do more than anything I had done in high school. Living in dorms opens your eyes to people just like you, who have similar work ethics and simliar career goals. Drexel is different from other schools because of the co-op program that is built in with your classes. Knowing that I will be working in the field I want to be in in about 6 months makes your career that much more real. Playtime is over and the real word is on your brink. I am a nursing major and being respsonible of taking care of patients makes me want to study harder and really work at being the best I can beause in a few months I will be responsible for what happens to them and thus cannot make mistakes if I do it means serious consequences. Further, I am from the suburbs of CT and living in the city of Philadephia has opened my eyes to how fast paced the world is and how interconnected we all are in terms of jobs. Lastly, I am paying for my education myself, making it all the more valuable.

Transitioning into college is a very memorable and exciting experience that every student should embrace. The memories and experiences that I?ve learned during the freshman year of college have shaped the way I look into the future. There are a few things that could have been improved on. If I were able to go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, there would be a few pieces of advice I?d give myself. First of all, I?d tell myself not to stress about classes too much. I found myself in the first few months to be stressing unnecessarily over things that I could not control. There was a need to get good grades but in order to do that I had to adjust and learn the material in a way that I could retain it. The common stresses of how I?m going to pay for college was something I needed to get over quickly and forget about in order to do well as a student. College is another frontier in a voyage to becoming an adult and to take it on like every other challenge that has been confronted.

Visit each campus of the colleges you have preselected on the basis of your interests, scholastic ability, your desire for a small or large campus, a rural or urban environment, and one which both you and your parents approve. You will find each has a different personality and may know right away at which institution you will most likely succeed. Choose one college as a safety net - one to which you are sure to be accepted. Aim higher for two - those where you hope your grades are good enough and would be really happy to attend. And finally, aim for the farthest reaches of your hopes for acceptance. College will be a huge adjustment. WORK first. Play second. Seek help when you need. Plant some seeds of friendship. Be ready to grow and experience success and even failure at times. Take time to recognize the value of your new experiences. Share the stories of your college life with your old friends and especially with your parents. And finally, perhaps trite but true - to thine own self be true.

Find out what you want to do, THEN find out how to get paid for it. The most important thing is finding a college that meets your career expectations and gets you the training you need to find what specifically you want out of the industry, then how to get there. If you know that, you will have the most important step of the college process figured out. After that, find out schools that have the kind of program you want that produce the experience that you want (within your price range) and scout around: visit campuses, talk to alums and friends of alums, and most importantly, professors. Once you figure out what program you want, weigh the other stuff afterwards: price, location, environment, food, etc. If they're impossible, then start again at the top. However, it's all about you first and foremost and if you're not gonna get what you want out of your career then you might as well throw $200,000 away and waste four years of your life. Your happiness comes first, it's just a matter of getting there.

When looking for a good college, make sure you take the amount you pay into considereation. Money ends up always being a big deal when it comes to daily activities. You dont want to be a a lot of debt by the time you get out of college. Al so make sure you like the campus. You are only in college for so long and you want to make sure that you enjoy where you stay. You dont want your college experience to be a boring one. Know where the money you are giving is going to. How well is the school managing the money that they make from their students. Are they really using this money to improve your childs education or to just spend it on pointless things. Food is something everyone needs so make sure that the food at college is good or else you might end up going hungry. Don't look into just cafeteria food but also food on campus and how late places will be open. And one really big thing you should look into is the quality of the classes that are offered. Best way would be to ask current students at school.

The advice I would give to myself if I could go back in time to talk to myself as a high school senior would be to research the different careers/majors offered at Universities. Originally, when I first attended Drexel, I was Computer Science only because my cousin had recently graduated with that degree and had a stable career. I did not conduct much research about this major nor knew much about it and after completing my freshmen year, I realized I did not like Computer Science anymore. That following summer, I spent all of June and July deciding what I like and looked at the job industry before finalizing realizing I have a passion for Biomedical Engineering. Most students do not switch into this type of major but I had a strong passion and drive to be part of a team in the future that assists human beings in completing mundane tasks. If I had conducted this research before attending Drexel, it would have benefited me and I would not have spent 9 months working towards a degree I had no passion in.

1. Stop stressing out so much, it will all work out. If you just keep working hard like you are, everything will eventually calm down and you will be where you are supposed to be. 2. Do your research. If you are so concerned with the rank of your college, look up what it will take to get into the college of your dreams. 3. With that being said, don't go to a college just for its prestige. Go to the college that you will benefit from most. What has the most to offer you personally? What combines all your interests and requirements? You will spend the next four years of your life there. Think about it. 4. Don't be afraid to go for it once you get to college. Try new things. You aren't the kind of person that gets themselves into trouble. So in your case, you need to break out of your shell. Make new friends. Join a club or two. 5. Find friends that complement your personality. You don't drink or do drugs. You want to do well. So find people to hang around that share that. 6. Remember that plans change.

The most important advice I would give to myself would be to focus on the main reason why I'm attending college in the first place, and that is my education. Another important piece of advice I would give myself would be to make sure that the major I pick is what is best for me. As a freshman, anyone who knew me in the past could tell that my mind wasn't focused on the task at hand. I got more caught up in wanting to fit in than I was studying and making sure I was getting my money’s worth out of the university. I had chosen chemical engineering as my major, not because it was what I wanted to do, but because I assumed it couldn't be that much different from my favorite high school subjects. After a year of self-discovery, I was able to make a more educated decision towards my education and switched my major to Business and Engineering. It was the best move I had made an over a year and classes became less stressful because I could actually apply what I was learning in class to my everyday life.

If I could, I would get into that time machine and first and foremost freak out my past self. After I amm done with making fun of myself, I would tell myself three things. First, I would tell myself to be honest with myself. I'd tell myself that what I really want is adventure and hands on experience, not a brand name school. Then I would tell myself to chill out. I would tell myself that everything is going to work out. I would tell myself that while there is a long road ahead of me, I will find my place in the world and the college that is perfect for me. Last but not least, I would tell myself to value the people around me. They will be by my side when life brings out the worst in me, and they will smile with me when things are great. I would tell myself that human capital is the only thing that remains when times are hard, and therefore I should pay more attention to my family and friends. These three things would have made the transition much easier for me and for the people close to me.

I always think to myself, “I wish I could go back to high school and do certain things differently.” When I was a senior in high school I certainly did not have the knowledge I do now. After completing one full year of college, I have learned a lot about myself. Many high school students do not necessarily know what it is they want to do down the road. Many people go into college looking to invent themselves and figure out what it is they may want to do in the future. If I could go back to my senior year I would have given myself one piece of advice. That advice would have been to figure out what it is I wanted to do in the future. Prior to high school graduation I knew I wanted to do something in fashion, however, I wish i had realized this sooner. I wish I could have known this was the path I wanted to take and be able to plan for my future a lot more efficiently than I had done back then. If I knew this piece of advice sooner, the present could be different, leading to a better future.