Drexel University

« See more reviews of Drexel University

Through my multiple college experiences I have learned that each day is a journey, not a destination and that anything is possible. After previously attending a four-year university and a community college I found a great school, Cascadia Community College in Bothell, Washington. Cascadia helped me find my path, different from where I thought I was going, and have now been accepted by some of the best schools in the country: American University, Columbia University, and the University of Connecticut. I was high school student with great potential and mediocre grades. Now I am an adult with goals and the desire to achieve them. College has allowed me the time to look into my soul, answer questions, and battle old demons. This would have been impossible if I remained in my old job, working 40+ hours per week. I put even more effort into my activities at school than I did at work; yet this will benefit me with the long-term happiness and contentment only a college education can give me.

From my own experiences, I have seen many parents reject schools because of their insufficient financial aid packet to cover their child's tuition cost. I am personally not from a wealthy family and my parents did not decline my first choice school due to how expensive it was to attend there. I am a first generation college student and my parents want me to achieve a higher education. They have always been supportive of my work and I am very grateful for that. An advise I would give to students is don't procrastinate on projects or your homework. The difference between that A and that B is dependant on how much time and effort you put into your final work. Don't party with your friends too much because yourschool work is your number one priority. I believe your parents pay for your high cost education so you can become a well-rounded and understandable person. College is a time for you to try new things and get involved. But let me warn you, manage your time wisely because time flies!!!

You should apply early to all your colleges, and visit each college before applying to get a feel and taste of the academic and social environment. You know, you will be living there for the next four years of your life, so it's very important that you are satisfied with the college you are enrolling in. Make sure that the college specializes in your intended major and that they have an ideal program that will help you land a job once you graduate, since that's the ultimate goal. There's a lot of things that goes into transitioning from high school to college, from leaving your home and family to what new laptop you need to buy. Making a list and following it is your best bet for moving in and adjusting successfully. Join clubs, make new friends, go to fun events hosted by the college or even outside. College work may seem like a lot especially for an engineer, but if you study hard you will be very successful. Balancing your studies and social life is key to having a great college career.

Knowing what I know now, I would give my high school self two pieces of advice. The first, not knowing what you want to do for the rest of your life is okay. The hardest part of the selection process for me was deciding what I wanted to do; in fact I believe I selected a different major for each school I applied to. Today I’m still not 100 percent sure, and I like it that way. Not knowing allows you to try new things and find new interests. Very few people know exactly what they want in life, and I used to be envious of those people until now. The second piece of advice I would give myself is to do research! When it came to selecting a program I was very naive. I came to Drexel as an architectural engineering student. My thought process was “I like architecture, how different can this be?” Well it’s very different. Looking back, this poor diction helped me get to where I am now; but I wish I would have truly understood what I was getting into, not just making trivial assumptions.

If I could go back in time I would tell myself this: Read more, sleep more, play more I would insist. Take more AP classes and study hard in school, Spend less time with the mean girls who are cruel. Hang with my family and cherish home cooked meals, Because the dining hall food makes me want to squeal. I would remind myself not to stress; that I am doing a great job And not to put too much pressure on myself that I make my head throb. I would spend more time with those that truly love me, Because I might be moving half way across the country. College is nothing to worry about, not in the slightest. I fit in just fine and know my future is one of the brightest. The cost of tuition is higher than ever, But I know my education is worth the endeavor. I've made Dean's list and have an internship in my field. Now I'm looking to put a dent in tuition with this scholarship's yield. If I could go back in time I would tell myself this: Enjoy every step of life and soak in the bliss.

When I was in high school, I did not think too much about financial aid. Drexel University is a very expensive school. It is difficult because I need to work really hard in school, but I also need to work to pay for it. In high school, after I got accepted to Drexel, I was blinded by the beauty of the university. I wish I could tell myself then that I would not be able to afford it. I thought I could always get a loan to help me pay for school. It was very naive and ignorant of me. I could not get an eligible co-signer to get the loan. I love Drexel University: the atmosphere, my classes, and my fellow classmates. However, if I could tell myself to look into more options concerning the tuition of a school and financial aid, I would. I feel like that is the most important subject concerning college. A high school student needs to know that it is not that simple to pay for college anymore. Although, there are many scholarships available, there are also just as many people fighting for it.

The most important advice I would give to anyone seeking a college where they will be happy is that this time is a jumping-off point for the rest of one's life. Rather than comparing it to what experiences you might have had in the past, including your upbringing and high school experience, think instead of what you want for the future. Not only must one think about what they want in their career, but in the kind of people you will befriend and in the person you want to become. It is easy to get caught up in your superfluous wishes in what one wants in a college, but it takes a more thorough search to discover what deeper knowledge you will learn there. Also ask what makes one college different from others. If it is a place that gives you a distinct image, then it will also impress you in a unique way during your time there. Above all, make the decision for yourself. As much as other students and critics have some opinions, it is your own viewpoint that will most form your experience.

I would explain the importance of attending a school that facilitates the job search process. Through the co-op program here at Drexel University, students are given first hand experience in a real work setting and can explore their likes and dislikes. I would tell myself to join any and all organizations on campus that are of interest to me, and eventually take on leadership roles within them. It's important to experience responsibility within an organization when applying for jobs and also just for life in general. I would advise myself to begin researching jobs that spark my interest and ultimately steer my education in that direction. Rather than experiencing college as a succession of haphazard trials and errors, it's far more beneficial to go into a major knowing full well you are passionate about the material. I would also tell myself to take risks when it comes to registering for courses, making new and lasting relationships, and exploring the cultural offerings of the city.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to focus and be a lot more determined than I actually was in high school. A few tips I would offer would be to master the art of studying because it never goes away no matter how old you get or however many grades you get promoted through. I would remind myself to take my time and not to be in such a rush to accept adult responsibilities, as I wanted to before I took a glance at a university tuition bill. I would make a note to take advantage of the people who are willing to help me through the education process, so that I may exert my full potentials to the best of my abilties. The best thing I think I am recognizing while experiencing the transition from high school to college is that there is so much to explore. In highschool, some students may find themselves subdued to one way of living or one way of thinking, but in college you are opened up and introduced to so much more than that.

As a high school senior I was very prepared for college in almost every aspect. The biggest thing I was lacking was preparing to leave home and go to college over 1000 miles away from my parents. The summer before I left for college I was extremely nervous about leaving home. I had always had a very close relationship with my parents and I was sad that I was growing up and would no longer be living with them full time. Because I was so close to them, I picked a school far away so I would not go home easily. I worried so much about not being able to see my parents, but that quickly changed once I got to college. College has been a great experience so far. I saw my parents during breaks and found myself only being mildly homesick. I talked to my parents everyday on the phone, which was a refreshing break from my busy daily schedule. I now realize that there was no need to worry. I did miss my parents sometimes, but it was exciting to be independent and to be starting my college life.