Drexel University

« See more reviews of Drexel University

The most frustrating thing students would agree on is that we do not have summer break. Due to the aforementioned quarter system, classes run in the summer. Despite not being able to have an enjoyable summer vacation or using that time to find an internship, Drexel has paid internships built into their schedule, so that if you are in a 5 year program, you have three 6 month internships or if you are in a 4 year program, you have one 6 month internship. So despite not having those summers off, you graduate ultimately with an advantage.

The most frustrating thing about my school is how they do not propely prepare you for the transition into college. They do not tell you what classes you need and don't need. This causes some students to find out after they have struggled with a class that it was not neccessary. The other problem students face is not being prepared for a class and ultimately having to drop it due to a bad grade. The result is, unless you drop within two weeks of beginning class, having to withdraw. This looks bad on your record and can be avoided.

The most frustrating thing about Drexel University is the cost of tuition, many people have to turn down their dreams of going to this university because it is simply too expensive. I can relate to this 100%. After competing my freshman year here I was forced to transfer because it was just too expensive. After starting a new year at my new school I quickly realized how much Drexel University meant to me and that is why my goal is to get back to this school as soon as possible at an affordable cost.

Sometimes the classes I need to take are only offered times that are inconvenient for me. A Powerpoint should not include practically the entire text book, and be read from word for word (one professor I had did this). Assigning students a chapter of the text to teach the class is a waste of my time and money. I really enjoyed my undergrad experience. The main issue was financial aid. The paperwork was so difficult, and it was very hard to get assistance in the Financial Aid department.

The work load at Drexel is pretty difficult to handle. Each term only stretches about 11 weeks, which is not much time for a full course. It's common to see you're first midterms on the fourth week, which flies by really fast. During the next you might have a lot of projects or papers due after the same weekend. If you take a co-op, you don't have a summer break during your sophomore and junior years either. Most say the co-op is worth it, but giving up your summers isn't easy.

I would say the most frustrating thing about my school is the underlying feeling of fitting in. My school has a lot of students with very well-off parents, meaning they seem to have a never-ending allowance; which is difficult for someone like me because I need to decide between having a social life (buying alcohol, taking taxis, going out to eat) and saving money (buying/cooking my own food, walking everywhere, not going out) to pay off student loans.

Most frustrating thing at this school is the lack of diversity. Every race here clump together as a separate groups and its rare you see interracial social interaction. You might have a chance of making friends if you lived on campus, but if you're living off campus, then you'll have an excrutiating hard time trying to interact with others, especially your freshman year.

I believe the most frustrating thing to myself and other peers at this school is the expense of housing. It's incredibly pricey per term, but many students are almost forced to pay or get loans for housing because off-campus housing is more dangerous, a further distance, and while it's only a fraction of school housing, transportation may become an expense/inconvenience.

The most frustrating thing about my school is the two-year on-campus residency requirement. Unless given an exemption, students are required to live on campus for their first two years, which can rack up a large amount of debt a student will have coming out of the university. Although it is well-intentioned, it can really be a financial burden.

Quite simply, its the price and trying to deal the expenses presented each term whether its textbooks or online software. At the tuition at Drexel at about $66,000 which is roughly my family's income a year, I am finding it challenging to pay for school, especially since Drexel does not meet 100% of the financial needs of students.