Drexel University

« See more reviews of Drexel University

Located in the heart of Philadelphia, the cultural diversity of the students and faculty at my school was incredible. However, no matter how culturally different, we each had a common interest in getting the most out of our education and enjoying our time at Drexel University. An appreciation and respect for different cultures was incorporated into the curriculum. Students were taught about the most common practices of many of the local cultural groups and useful information about how to interact with different groups without offending or unknowingly conveying disrespect. As a professional, ignorance is definitely not bliss.

Once I reached the upperclassmen curriculum, I really enjoyed it. I felt that it was interesting and cutting edge, compared to the boring courses that all engineering majors take, such as thermodynamics and calculus. My biomaterials class had us grow cells on different biomaterials to see which material provided the best cell substrate! Talk about the opportunity to experience first-hand what you are learning about in the classroom. I felt like there was a lot of practical hands-on learning that took place at Drexel; lab exercises, independent research and top of the line technologies.

Drexel University gives you have access to their huge network of people that can help you succeed and potential employers. Firms contantly send representative to Drexel to recruit students. In addition to that, they also have a fantastic co-op program that allows you to gain 6-18 months of working experience before you even graduate. As the competition in the job market increases, employers are caring less about where you got your degree and more so if you have any experience. Drexel also has a solid academic program to pair with your co-op.

Drexel is very diverse with its student body. There are many, many clubs and groups you can join. The professors are well known in their field and the research facilities are top-notch. The cooperative education program secures almost all students with jobs with jobs related to their field of study. The placement rate of post-graduation jobs is very very high! The univeristy is making a lot of improvements to make the campus better and offer more and more. The city setting is prime location for culture and socializing.

This school had the best major I ever wished for. With the combination of business and engineering this was really the perfect school for me. However, at the time of my school search I did not see the price tag on this perfect major. So first and foremost I wish I payed more attention to the price tag. Furthermore, while the the co-ops and the quarter system is great in some aspects, It makes the schedule a rush. A quarter is over before you know it, which means that you have to study hard from day one.

My school has a Coop/Internship program, where for 6 months of their junior year the student just goes on an internship (no classes) in their major's field. This is great for students because of not having classes, students are able to go to other places like LA, NY, or even out of the country to do their internship. Also with having the internship before senior year the student can see what they need to fix to be able to get into that career successfully.

Coming to a school from 3,000 miles away where I knew absolutely no one, Drexel is the type of school where if you are not on top of you studies, you can fail out very easily. On the reverse side, if you are on top of everything and you know what you want to do in life, it is a great school to attend. This is why it works so well for me because I am very organized and I have known what I have wanted to do with my life since I was in elementary school.

I consider the best thing at Drexel to be the coop program. The coop program is paid employment in major-related positions consistent with your interests and abilities; only a small percentage of students accept nonpaid co-ops. I think this is the best thing because you get to see what it's like to work in different positions within in your major before you graduate. You get the best of both worlds -an education as well as experience in that field.

The best thing about Drexel is that the Media Arts building, also known as the URBN center, is open 24/7. So, if you have to work well into the night and early morning you can stay there and nap on the couches in between. Also, all of the art design programs, such as Zbrush and Maya are preinstalled on all of the computers in URBN. I also like how I can take some classes at night rather than very early in the day.

I consider the best thing about my school is the job opportunities. With having co-op and being able to work each year and learn your trade while going to school you are able to get the hands on experience of what you have chosen to do for the rest of your life. It is a great opportunity for each student to get the chance to work and learn about what they are going to school for before graduating.