Drexel University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Drexel University

Joan

As a Drexel student, I'd say the classes are fast paste, the activities on campus are amazing on and off, and the professors are available to the students. There is some craziness on campus sometimes but there are four hospitals within 5-20 minutes of campus and a police station not far either. The campus is also close to Center City and you can walk around and explore pretty easily tons of restaurants and cool places to visit and check out!

Bridget

Drexel really is what you make of it. You can just go to classes, just do what's necessary. But there are hundreds of clubs. You can join something on campus -- or better yet, off campus. Embrace the city. Embrace the culture. Go to music gigs, go to museums. Find yourself lost in Reading Terminal Market. Take classes outside of your major. Take a cooking class. Find one on Shakespeare. Drexel is your oyster, and you can be its pearl -- you just have to allow yourself to be.

NWACHUKWU

Drexel University is a wonderful Institution overall. It has a kind and friendly atmosphere on the campus. Coming in as a freshman, I did not have issues adjusting to the new setting and I made friends easily. The Co-op program is the most beneficial aspect of attending Drexel and its advantages are superb. I enjoy being a student here at Drexel.

Anna

Drexel University caters to a certain group of students - those who are willing to work hard with no breaks. As the terms are 10 weeks long, one has to be able to digest and process information quickly and must be willing to pass up opportunities for socializing in order to do well in class. Different majors lead to different experiences with professors - I have nothing but wonderful things to say about my professors (they all strive to get to know students and push them to succeed), but other programs have professors who are less invested in their students. The largest incentive here is the co-op, or intensive internship, program. I am one of Drexel's "success stories", as my co-op led me to a full-time position once I graduate. If you know what you're getting yourself into in terms of work load, and you are willing to sacrifice some of your weekends, Drexel will, without a doubt, help you have a good start to your career.

Robby

I think it is a great university to attend. There are a lot of special people you can meet. Also, it is in one of the best cities in America. Drexel has a numerous amount of programs for all its students. And it is also one of the best well known schools in America. The only downside is that it is a little too expensive and it may not be the safest.

Katrina

Drexel University is a very expensive school. Yes, Drexel faculties and staff is very abundant, however, not many of them do their job. Some of them get irritated really easily and is very rude. I emailed a coordinator about a question that I could not find and she resends me the document again and said please read everything before you ask a question, you are wasting our time. I'm not an idiot. Of course, I would research myself before I go to someone. I could not find the answer that's why I came to you. Drexel does give financial aid, but for the student where they receive a large amount of tuition from, they do not use it on their students. They use it for other things that most students do not even use. or have no clue that it even exists.

Briseida

Simply put expensive, overrated and a workload. I find that the majority of my floormates are heavy drinkers who like to spend their free-time, if they luckily have any, going out at night to smoke some joints and get it on with other people of their kind. As an introverted and reserved person studying Biomedical Engineering, I find myself stressing over the amount of strenuous work provided while I see others easily getting through the college life without much worry or thought.

Haley

Life at Drexel will keep you busy. The 10-week terms go by in the blink of an eye, and oftentimes you're learning everything that you would learn in a semester at a regular school. There are tons of clubs and activities, and I know very few people who aren't involved in at least one thing outside of class. Co-op is probably the main reason that everyone decides on Drexel, and you won't regret those experiences. You'll hear people working at big-name companies like PWC, Google, and Boeing. There are also a ton of opportunities to go abroad, whether that's an exchange program for a term, an Intensive Course Abroad for a week or two between terms, or going away for co-op. There are plenty of opportunities for research with professors or at the Academy of Natural Sciences. We're also right next to Penn and plenty of students will utilize their resources as well. The area outside of campus can be unsafe and we definitely get our share of DrexelAlerts, but I don't feel any less safe than in other major cities. Overall, Drexel is a great school and if it weren't for my experiences here, I wouldn't have a great job for co-op or the leg-up for grad school. I would definitely recommend the Drexel Experience.

Spencer

Drexel University is a pay-to-play school: if you don't have the money or the grades to afford the school, there are few opportunities. But, for those (like me) who received enough in scholarships in grants, there are more than enough resources and opportunities to make the college experience worth it. The food is overpriced for mediocre choices and quality, and the housing quality is excellent, but with a price much too high. Overall though, I absolutely love it here in Philly as a Dragon. I'm proud to brag about my school, but I'm also aware of problematic policies and professors from the school.

Nidhi

Drexel University is a big university that has a lot of students enrolled. Because of the large student body, some of the professors do not have enough time for all of the students. The professors are generally accessible, but most of the time, there are too many students who need help and the professors do not have enough time for everyone so some students are left behind. In terms of academics, the university is very rigorous and the quarter system is tough. Drexel's extracurriculars are subpar at best and there is not a lot fo advertisement or incentives for the students to join clubs or sports.

Tamara

Great School. 1st 2 years are easy and the professors actually care. After that its professors that are here for research money and hate teaching. Bombard them with questions or else you wont learn anything. Co-Op program is awesome. I made great professional connections and have the name Drexel to back it up. Even though its expensive, there's grants given from Drexel and financial aid.

Niayla

Drexel is a great school, but with any school comes flaws. The food quality isn't very good at all. Sure, at first it's enjoyable, but it's enjoyable in the sense that fast food is enjoyable. It's a nice treat, but it will never compare to a well-cooked meal. Often you will get tired of the food selection offered. My classes are small and personal. Most Humanity major classes are fairly small. Majors residing in the fields of science, engineering, nursing etc. usually consist of large lecture classes. Drexel offers great professors. Many of which you are able to become friends with and network accordingly. Greek Life isn't very important on campus. But, many students appreciate Greek life only for the parties they offer. Clubs and activities are limitless. There's a club for everyone and if there isn't (the chance is slim) then one can be created. Drexel supports all of its students' interests. The dorms are fairly modern and the housing application allows you to room with like-minded individuals. It allows you to create your first friend, in your dorm. Over Drexel is a great place to attend. There aren't many flaws, but there are a few minuscule ones that can be overshadowed by the positives. Freshmen are made to feel welcomed during the first week. It​s trimester system doesn't create much stress and allows flexibility in major changes. Overall, it's amazing here.

Nana

Drexel is in the city which makes it big and small at the same time. There are plenty opportunities and activities to take advantage of. The 10 week quarter system goes by very fast, so it is important to keep up with academic work. There are plenty resources, find them and use them!

sarah

I'm currently a Sophomore at Drexel University and love going to school in an Urban environment. As someone who grew up her whole life in a small town, coming to Drexel University has allowed me to experience forms of diversity that I've never experienced before. Through daily conversation and observation, I find myself learning much about people's differences. My eyes have been opened to the uniqueness of each student on campus. My prior understandings of people from various backgrounds and social classes, owning various values and standards, have expanded. Drexel University excels in academics and is known for its exceptionally valuable Co-op program. I'm surrounded by students that understand time management and are intentional about their career goals. Ambition Can't Wait is our slogan for a reason, and I am proud to go to a University that pushes me forward to take leaps of faith in finding an area and/or career that I can be passionate about before I graduate.

Atta

Drexel is a great place to be, the people are great, there is so much stuff to do, never a boring moment. Then there are classes! They cram all the information needed from a 16 week program into 9-10 weeks, it is crazy to me how they think people can keep up. Just one tip if planning on attending prepare to not only through your social life out the window but sleeping to because all your going to have time for is studying.

Atiq

I like attending Drexel University. It's close to home, so I'm able to commute, but it is also a little expensive. Most professors in the eng department are mediocre and may be more focused on their research than the performance of their students - although, as usual - if you make an effort to get to know a professor, they usually respond pretty well. Drexel runs on the quarter system (10 week terms), which makes classes really rushed and hard to manage. But it also offers the co-op system, which is basically one or three 6-month internships, depending on your package (4 years vs 5 years). All in all, Drexel is a great place to go if you don't mind hard work and responsibility and getting a head start in the workplace.

Josh

Drexel University is a school to go to if you know what you want to study and are willing to put in the work right away. For many, there is not a lot of time for parties and binges, but if you are smart and put in the work, you will find an opening. Overall, Drexel is a good university, but not a party school.

Jacob

Drexel is an extremely fast paced university. We work on 10 week programs, and have a co-op program. All of this combines to allow students to experience the real working world while still getting an education. This is a fantastic school, but not for the light hearted, there is work and alot of it.

Deborah

Drexel definitely isn't for everyone. It's located in West Philadelphia and has a very urban feel which I love but I know people who prefer more of a grassy state school campus. It's walking distance from the Philadelpha Art Museum and Center City so there's always plenty of night life and things to do on weekends. Drexel also strays away from the "traditional" college experience by implementing the quarter system, which means each term is only 10 weeks long, making the work more fast paced and rigorous. This takes some adjustment and is stressful at first, but it makes for better time management skills. The co-op program is fantastic. It is a great resumé builder and you get several months of work experience before you even graduate. I would recommend Drexel to anyone who enjoys being challenged and wants state of the art career building starting freshman year.

marcel

Its an excellent school with great professor and academics. I am looking forward to begin my study January 2018. I am also looking forward to be a part of the co-op program for two years. It will be a great experience for me since I will be able to gain experience in my field of study.

Juliana

Drexel can be a very challenging institution for some students. We run on a quarter system instead of semesters meaning we are in class all year round. Including summer. However, Drexel offers co-ops to every students. Co-op is a 6 month work experience that can begin as early as sophomore year and is usually paid. So for half the year you are just working instead of being in a classroom.

Nick

Drexel University is a good school. Most of the complaints that I have, and that I hear are not due to the academics, unless you count the cost. It can seem overpriced, and very well may be, but the money the students pay is starting to come back into the school now. While Drexel is not the best school overall right now, it is steadily improving. Our current president, while overpaid himself, seems to have a good vision to improve the infrastructure on campus. In the next few years, I expect Drexel to continue to increase in it's overall quality.

kayla

Here I am, sitting in my dorm room. Broke, ashamed, and tired. It's 12:07am in the morning, and I have a 10am Math 102 lecture when I wake up from my two hours of sleep. Yesterday, I befriended a mouse in the library. We talked about Chemistry and how hard it is to survive here at Drexel. We both agreed that the classrooms belonged in either the set of Human Centipede or SAW. We also agreed that the cockroaches here a quite friendly, to which we both hate. The teachers are great, the mouse and I learn a lot here. We would call it home except for the fact that the resident halls don't feel like home. No, I'm not being dramatic just... okay dramatic. I mean the showers are gross, I'd rather bathe in Schuylkill. Overall it's okay here. Other than the fact that there are exams every five milliseconds. I can't even rest for a half a second before I'm writing my full name on a bright green scantron in the dank and dark Main Auditorium, on a 175 year old piece of plank wood. I guess that's where my nonexistent money is going to. The mouse agrees.

Shiying

I love our campus' environment and all the activities we can participate. We have the best gym in Philly, also the famous co-op program. One thing isn't that perfect is that our tuition fee is also one of the most expensive ones in the US. Other than that, everything else is enjoyable. I love the city life here, and you will have lots of friends as well once you come to Drexel. By the way, our dining isn't so great, forgot to mention it.

Daniel

Drexel is full of opportunity. As long as you're someone who takes up on the challenge, you'll go really far. There are also a ton of great people to make. We're right on the presence of a great urban area, so there's always somewhere interesting to explore or shop. It's all in what you make it. Drexel University is definitely unique in a lot of areas, but it doesn't ask for too much to compromise without losing your grand college experience. We do things a little differently because we boast that we're a different kind of students. Becoming a part of the Drexel community has been a blessing, and I know for sure that with the education I get here, I'll go far. It's fun, the sports you might have to do some looking around, and when you find them it will be worth it. The party scene is also elusive. You have to "know a guy," to get all the info on parties. Nonetheless there's a party every weekend, and it's not too hard to find out where. Greek life is also great. The food is a compromise, but Drexel is getting a new and more promising food company to bring better goodies, so hopefully the food gets better. Housing isn't the best, the the people in it makes the housing situation a 1000 times better. Drexel is definitely worth the experience. If you want a promising education, and still have a reasonably fun college experience, Drexel is the move.

Daniel

Horrible school. The professors are mostly foreign, new, or simply don't give a crap about you. The entire student body is academically apathetic and there is very little school spirit here. There is a reason for that as well as the enormous transfer rate. The faculty are terrible, the food is just as bad and the service is rude, internet disconnects frequently, you will get charged for a bunch of random "fees", and overall this school is a joke academically.

Meredith

Drexel University is a great school to attend for hardworking and driven students. The majority of the sub-schools at Drexel are based on a quarter system (the Law school is a trimester program) which is 10 weeks. Compared to a typical semester program (which is 15 weeks), Drexel is very fast paced and straight to the point. This fast paced system may appear difficult at first; however, it becomes easier to get the hang of as time goes on. Drexel is no joke. You will have to work hard as soon as you start the term. It prepares you for your potential future occupation and teaches you to stay on top of your game. Most, if not all, of the professors I have had were all very helpful, supportive, and want you to succeed in their class.

KRISSTEN

I think that Drexel is an amazing school, especially if you are some one who purely wants to focus on your goals and education. It highly encourages you to be the best you can in the field that you would like to be in within the future. I know i made the right choice and I think one people are here they see that too.

Sam

The school is fun to be in. The city of Philadelphia is wonderful to be in, it's like New York, but less intimidating to a newer guy (this is coming from someone who mainly lived in the sticks). The problem with the school is two-fold though. One: the price, Two: the speed. A quarter system is not for the faint of heart or unorganized. This school WILL eat you alive if you're not on top of your game week one. That and the price feels like it borders on criminal. Sure, going on co-op helps ease the pain, but your wallet will be crying for years to come after coming here, unless you prepared ahead of time. Still, it's worth coming to if you've got the time and money to drop.

Jordan

Co-op is the real saving grace here. The program is fantastic so far, but mainly because of this. Administration has seemed completely absent, and the academics often feel lacking. There isn't really a "college culture" here like you see in media. Some people--like myself--prefer it that way, though.

Drexel is a great school if you're looking for a full-time job post-grad. With the integrated co-op program, the university nearly FORCES you to gain experience that will help you land your dream job later on in life. A professor recently asked me the question, "Did you come to Drexel to learn or to get a job?" Not that I don't learn a ton in the general ed's and the core concentrated major classes, but the ultimate goal of this college is to ensure us a spot in the real corporate America. When it comes to school spirit - we don't have much. Other than the basketball team that practically gives away free tickets as bribery, the only other form of community we have is Greek Life. The Greek community on campus is huge and one of the strongest webs we have. The 10-week quarters are definitely tough - so the coffee is stronger and non-stop. While being extremely stressful, and with an extremely low return rate from year to year (most people I knew freshman year that weren't in Greek Life dropped out or transferred), it's not for everyone. But, if you can make it to the end, the expensive tuition and long study hours with a few minor mental breakdowns here and there, I wouldn't want to have chosen any other University to complete my undergrad experience. "Go Dragons!"

Kalie

Drexel University is far too expensive, and it isn't worth the money. This school is not good enough to cost as much as it does. It also uses a quarter system which sucks. They try to cram too many exams and projects into only eight weeklong terms, so you are constantly struggling to keep up with everything. You'd do better to save yourself some money and go somewhere else.

Jazmean

Overall, I believe that Drexel University is an amazing school with plenty of opportunities available for you to take advantage of. From their co op program to the their study aboard programs, there are plenty of ways for you to get introduced to your field and explore other cultures! There is a steep price associated with this school but if you have the means, apply!

Marta

Drexel has it's pros and cons and I think it comes down to how much you are willing to pay for your "Drexel Experience." The school is very expensive, however, in my opinion it is worth the price. The co-op program is one that stands out and honestly makes the whole thing worth it.

Nicholas

Drexel is outstanding academically. The quick paced quarter system requires impressive students, and the teachers handle it well for the most part. What makes Drexel such a desirable destination for college is the Co-op Program. Students are required to land internships for 6 months for college credit. 90% of Co-ops are paid. You get paid to go here. It's amazing. The University helps tremendously in securing these jobs and there are countless opportunities for all students. Administratively, there are a lot of complaints about Drexel. There is a phenomenon known by students called, "The Drexel Shaft", which is when the university makes seemingly simple issues with equally simple solutions much more complicated than they have to be. This is frustrating and makes a lot of students' lives a lot harder. I could go on forever about the dining services, but to summarize... they're garbage. The food, the service, the quality, the variety, the availability, it is all garbage.

Claire

I love this place. I chose it because it is the perfect distance from my house where I feel independent but I can also go home in emergencies. My professors are supportive and encourage me to explore my academic and creative limits. The food could be better, but I adore this place with my entire soul. For me, it's home.

Paolo

Drexel University is a great institution for students to attend. They offer plenty of guidance to their students on their careers and have professors that help with academics. Additionally as students, we are able to participate in co-op programs where we are able to explore our chosen careers and work during that time. Some of the students are even hired at their co-op which gives great security for once we graduate and start our careers. Overall the campus is great and there are always great things to do at DU.

Maura

My digital media classes are all pretty good, and there are also a lot of clubs around that you can join to learn more. There are many places to go outside of school because Drexel is right next to downtown and public transportation is extensive. However, despite the overpriced meal plans, the food is pretty mediocre.

Kijika

A school who values the dollar over their students. None of the large amounts of money we pay to the school is given back to the students. our housing facilities are dilapidated and warn down with rodents and bug infestations. The food options under meal plans are limited and unhealthy, just this week there was an outbreak of e-coli.

Jenna

Drexel is a very practical school that aims to set you up for a solid future. It sets a fast pace and tries to put you more in work situations than academic. Coop, which they are known for, is one of the most important parts of the curriculum, whatever your major.

Drexel University is located in the amazing city of Philadelphia. It is a hub for culture, socializing, taking part in protests, volunteering, and finding jobs. Drexel is great for job placement, preparing students for professional life, and realizing which career paths they want to pursue. I love it here and I am so grateful have picked a school that has presented me with endless opportunities. I have had the chance to study abroad multiple times, intern abroad, explore new languages, and participate and take leadership roles in diverse clubs. I highly recommend Drexel University to students who are passionate about learning and serious about their studies. Drexel is truly unique!

Joseph

The university is a great place to learn. The faculty are very helpful and willing to provide assistance to students in need. The food could be better but the living communities are nice and promotes interactions between peers. It is also right in the city so everything is pretty close and accessible.

Molly Jean

Drexel University takes pride in its quarter system. Each quarter lasting only ten weeks compared to the normal fifteen of the semester system, there is a whole lot of cramming. Some students love the quarter system, they take an enormous amount of pride in doing what others do in fifteen weeks, in just ten. At the end of each ten week period they come out like proud hunters holding their kill high above their heads. For myself, however, I can barely hold myself up, let alone a metaphorical kill. Drexel fosters a competitiveness between the institution and its students that is perpetually negative. I literally own a shirt that was given to me for free that states "Drexel Vs. Everyone". That's the joke. If you like feeling like you've just narrowly escaped Satan's grasp every ten weeks, Drexel is the place for you. If that's not your style, then 3/10, would not recommend to a friend.

Ariel

Over all I think Drexel University is a great school and it really prepares a student for after graduation with their co-op program. The co-op program gives the student the opportunity to have work experience in their desired career choice which will give the the step forward when finding a job and also have that experience to add to their resume. The professors are very informative and helpful and are willing to help their students succeed.

Mia

I love Drexel and all of the opportunities it provides to me. Especially the co-op, it’s an amazing way for students to get some actual hands on learning on their intended major. Not only this but there can be a paid co-op that allows students to make a good amount of money which can be very useful when it comes to students who will be facing student loans in the near future.

Ibrahima

My overall opinion of Drexel University is that it is a great school. If you are looking for a school that is focused on academics then Drexel is for you. Once graduating from Drexel University you will have much more job opportunities then if you had graduated from a different university.

Matthew

I was mostly an online student with Drexel but I loved my experience. My professors were extremely engaging (no small feat in online coursework) and I felt actively engaged the entire time I was enrolled. Professors were always available whenever I needed help which was a big plus.

Anthony

Drexel University is unlike most colleges I've seen, mostly due to their niche of having Co-Op and class cycles. The Co-Op experience is a wonderful opportunity that allows students to get full-time jobs for six months at a time. However, if you do not have a car or an out of state student like me, this becomes more difficult due to the lack of available job around the Drexel campus area.

Michele

I am going to be an incoming freshman at Drexel. They could not have made me feel more welcome or included on all of my visits. The University is in the middle of one of the most vibrant cities in America and I cant wait to get there! Drexel has everything I want in a University and more.

Corey

My overall opinion of Drexel University is highly favorable. I have only one issue that I experienced that's negative and disappointing. I felt the university should have been more transparent and forthcoming with regard to what they give out to students in scholarships and grants, etc. Unfortunately, I had to drop all of my classes because I could not afford to pay the $8, 718.00 bill for the 2017 fall quarter. Generally speaking, Drexel University appears not to have a generous scholarships/grants package for students from what I have been told and from what I personally experienced. I really wished Drexel attempted to assist me in getting other funding sources, especially when I explained my situation, and for this, I was greatly disappointed. Drexel is very organized and has a great investment in student support services. I love this school! I just wish I could afford to attend there and obtain greater increases in scholarship and grants funding sources. The customer service, professionalism, and friendliness of the university as a whole is top notch. Kudos Drexel University!!! What intrigued me most of Drexel University is there cooperative education model. There are very few schools with is model. Consistently Drexel University is highly ranked and incredibly reputable. The university more than adequately prepares their students for the workforce. Students gain real-life work experiences in their perspective degree paths before graduation that gives students who graduated that added edge over other students from competing academic institutions of higher learning in today’s job markets.