Drexel University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Drexel University

Anthony

Drexel University is unlike most colleges I've seen, mostly due to their niche of having Co-Op and class cycles. The Co-Op experience is a wonderful opportunity that allows students to get full-time jobs for six months at a time. However, if you do not have a car or an out of state student like me, this becomes more difficult due to the lack of available job around the Drexel campus area.

Michele

I am going to be an incoming freshman at Drexel. They could not have made me feel more welcome or included on all of my visits. The University is in the middle of one of the most vibrant cities in America and I cant wait to get there! Drexel has everything I want in a University and more.

Corey

My overall opinion of Drexel University is highly favorable. I have only one issue that I experienced that's negative and disappointing. I felt the university should have been more transparent and forthcoming with regard to what they give out to students in scholarships and grants, etc. Unfortunately, I had to drop all of my classes because I could not afford to pay the $8, 718.00 bill for the 2017 fall quarter. Generally speaking, Drexel University appears not to have a generous scholarships/grants package for students from what I have been told and from what I personally experienced. I really wished Drexel attempted to assist me in getting other funding sources, especially when I explained my situation, and for this, I was greatly disappointed. Drexel is very organized and has a great investment in student support services. I love this school! I just wish I could afford to attend there and obtain greater increases in scholarship and grants funding sources. The customer service, professionalism, and friendliness of the university as a whole is top notch. Kudos Drexel University!!! What intrigued me most of Drexel University is there cooperative education model. There are very few schools with is model. Consistently Drexel University is highly ranked and incredibly reputable. The university more than adequately prepares their students for the workforce. Students gain real-life work experiences in their perspective degree paths before graduation that gives students who graduated that added edge over other students from competing academic institutions of higher learning in today’s job markets.

Hassan

It is a really good school but the tuition is outrages and limited scholarship opportunities. The campus is in the middle of the city so easy access to shops. There are a lot of things that can get you involved. The quarter system is a bit to much to handle.

Daniel

I really enjoy Drexel University as I know it is an institution that I can rely on and will allow for me to partake in varied activities while still getting a wonderful education. I'm still a freshman, so I know I still have a lot to see and explore, but I trust that if I need something, Drexel will make its best effort to help me.

Anne

Drexel University is a really good college and is one that allows for every opportunity for students' success. There are many services to help students with every aspect of student life. Professors are all helpful and friendly. I'm glad that I go here and wouldn't have it any other way.

Amy

Drexel is very well-known for the co-op program, but it is not the only thing that catches everyone's attention. The courses are intense and vigorous. The professors are driven by ambition. The atmosphere is usually busy with every student doing their work or studying but it pays off in the end. I like the fast-paced courses because it shows how much progress I am making. It taught me not to take time for granted.

Ratana

Drexel is a very interesting University with a lot of diversity and many activities to participate in. The University is a great place for students to learn, and it also provides a variety of facilities for students to enjoy and to further develop themselves in. Furthermore, the staff is helpful and respectful towards the needs of the students. The school is great!

Abigail

My opinion of Drexel University is positive. I love the location (the city) even though you should not walk alone at night. The academics are challenging but the perfect amount of challenge. The buildings are nice and they are all close together, so inbetween classes you do not have to rush from classroom to classroom. Most of the professors are very accommodating towards the students and have relatively favorable office hours. The community around campus is extremely welcoming and there is an activity for just about everyone. I enjoy being on campus because it feels like home.

Angelica

I love it here! Drexel University is right in University City in Philadelphia with Center City just one stop away on the subway. It is so conveniently located! The class sizes are pretty good too. The lectures have about 200 students, however, each class has a Recitation/Discussion class that you must also attend. I find this even more helpful than the lectures themselves especially because there are usually about 30 students in these classes and we go over specific practice problems and it's more personal. The TA's here are very well educated, and the professors are always easily accessible.

Kaitlyn

Drexel is definitely not for everyone - ex. quarter system, co-ops, location, expense, lack of school spirit. Personally, I really enjoy Drexel and it's definitely a school you go to if you know what you want to do after graduating. I surprisingly like the quarter system a lot since it allows me to take more classes than I would elsewhere and includes co-ops. The only downside is the cost - Drexel is extremely expensive and charges you for everything you do.

Alexa

Drexel is in a fun part of Philadelphia and has provided me with everything I need for graduation and grad school. Most of my professors have been fantastic, available, and helpful. However, Drexel's Financial Aid Office is an absolute travesty and honestly, if I had known how bad it was, I would not have gone here for that reason alone.

Greg

Campus doesn't have many hip restaurants or places to congregate Saxby's is one of few. Professors often not interested in mentoring or making time to answer course content questions. Advisors have poor comunication and loooong email response time. Summer sessions have very limited course selection. Disappointing experience after high expectations, not student friendly.

Zachary

Love everything about it! I'm a veteran and the Veterans program is incredible. We meet all the time, we help support each other, go to events together, and help each other out when in need. Drexel is very veteran friendly. The classes are challenging. Particularly in your first year. However, if you can plow through it your future classes make it all worth it. The learning really comes naturally and with some good study time and due diligence with Engineering you can't go wrong at Drexel.

Drexel is a great school and can open many opportunities for it's students and alumni. The buildings on campus have a lot of character and Drexel is a school that continues to evolve and reinvent themselves. The biggest downfall of Drexel is its cost of attendance. It is very expensive.

Eric

Drexel University truly is a special place. Located on the wings of University City in Philadelphia, Drexel is filled with a mash-up of modern and original buildings that catch the eye as one walks throughout campus to get to class. No matter what time of day, since you are in Philadelphia, there is always something to do. Wether it's playing frisbee at Buckely Field, grabbing some food at the Urban Eatery, or going to see the Drexel Players perform a show, you will always be able to find something new and exciting to try out in between classes. No matter what time or where you are on campus, there is always a strong sense of security due to the on campus police force and variety of helpful resources students have access to. With an academic staff that is truly unmatched in prestige, the classes at Drexel are ones that strive to prepare students for a fast paced working world. All together, Drexel University is a place that everyone should have the chance to see and visit.

Chalat

A good university that is going to be great in the future. There are many projects to improve the university and a lot of money is coming in. The students are professional and hard working. High employment rate after graduation. Some student are not really bright at the start, but after graduation most students are really good at what they do.

Amber

Overall my time at Drexel University has been very good. Most of the professors are friendly and easy to learn from, the class size is reasonable for most courses, and I have gotten along with and made friends with many other students in my dorm and in my classes. Although there are some courses I am not entirely satisfied with, for the most part the courses are reasonable, and interesting with reasonable grading. I also think think the cost for attending the school is rather high so that is causing financial issues for my family and I. Overall though, I have been enjoying my time at Drexel

Preet

Drexel University has its own rules to make impacts on other. We are different from other, it not just university its a huge diverse family. Life here is a bit faster than outside world. Quarterly semester and co-op design make every student succeed​ in there life.

Heather

Drexel is a very beautiful campus and there are so many opportunities for everyone no matter what you're looking for. It is a diverse school and very accommodating. The professors are often very relatable and are always willing to offer help and guidance for students. Many professors are willing to correspond after hours as well via email or phone. There is endless opportunity for success.

Anindita

Drexel is the right school for you if you don't prefer a social life, but just want to focus on academics. Usually there aren't parties or anything happening on campus that involves excitement. The professors can be harsh sometimes, but the classes are pretty easy and there is always extra credit.

After finishing my first year in engineering at Drexel I can say that I was challenged and pushed in ways that I have never been before. There are pros and cons to being a quarter system school and some people that although things move very quickly and are sometimes rushed through, we learn more than people do at other schools and are more prepared. Our co-op program is super beneficial and has taught me how to be professional and what to expect in the workplace when I graduate at such a young age that most people are not exposed to until later on in their college career. Even though we have no summer vacation while being on co-op it will pay off in the long run when we graduate and have months of working experience compared to those who have hardly any internship experience which will help tremendously when finding jobs after graduation.

Sam

Avoid going here. The entire Drexel beauracratic system is a money grab. You pay tuition during your internships (co-op). You even pay tuition during summer breaks and open quarters. The course offerings are rigged to force students to take additional quarters to graduate. This place is not worth 30-40k a year in tuition, especially since no one has heard of the university outside of Pennsylvania. The facilities are subpar, each meal in the cafeteria costs around 10-12 dollars. They literally have fees for EVERYTHING. The tuition bills are cunningly due BEFORE financial aid disbursements so they can collect a late fee of about 300 dollars each quarter. I recommend attending UPENN, Temple or Penn State which are ten times the school for 1/4th the price. Do yourself a favor and avoid life long debt and go to a much better school. If I have at least convinced one person to avoid this debt trap then I have done my job. I have transferred to another instate University and am GLAD I LEFT DREXEL.

Mobolawa

Drexel University’s campus is very beautiful. It is located in West Philadelphia and surrounded by a vibrant city life. My favorite part of Drexel University’s academic curriculum is the co-op program. Also known as the “cooperative-education” program, it allows students to obtain 18 months of a paid, full-time job relating to the field they are studying. This allows students to gain insight on the field they are interested in and gives them a competitive edge after graduation.

Sean

Drexel has this system that squeezes you for money for just about every service you can imagine. The issue with this system is that it works so well because Drexel's academic facilities and campus life convince students that all the money being forked over is completely worth it. It's hard to complain about the price of Drexel because I honestly do feel like I get what I'm paying for as far as academics comply. One of the biggest issues with Drexel is the quality of living. The campus is surrounded by places to get supplies for basic living but, everything is just so much more overpriced because it can be.

Maya

It is awesome. Expensive, but awesome. There is so much opportunity to do anything that you want. Faculty is very open to working with students in order to assure that they have what they need in order to succeed. It is truly a place that knowledge is sacred and rewarded.

Victoria

Drexel is a very nice university but is expensive for the working student and overall students in general. The University offers a while of courses both online and on campus which is a must for a working student like me. I feel the staff are friendly and work to help a student who has questions or needs help.

Drexel's biggest asset is their Co-Op Program.. BY FAR. If you are a business, engineering, nursing, or design students, this school is perfect for you. If not, there may be better educational opportunities for you out there... but really, there's no education like being thrown out into the field of your dreams!

Justina

When I first started Drexel I was a bit intimidated because everyone that goes there is so driven. I met so many people during my welcome week and those people became my closest friends. People that go to Drexel know it is hard, but they are willing to push and support you all the way!

Rukaiah

My first year at Drexel was the greatest opportunity to have ever been granted to me. Despite its extreme expenses, it was a great place to meet friends, have fun, and be educated and involved at the same time. The diversity is apparent, and fellow students are nothing but generous and kind. Not to mention that it is located within several modes of public transportation, with easy access to other parts of Philadelphia. My time in Philly was truly memorable and worth-while, and there is not a moment I regretted about it.

Kevin

Drexel is a nice and well kept college. The tour guides were very friendly and open, showing how great the students are. The staff there were also very friendly and helpful when we got lost and needed help. The campus is huge and has a wide variety of shops and places to eat. It would be very easy to make new friends.

Ching

It’s a very nice school if you are interested in a fast pace course. Students will feel safe in the environment and there are always availability of help if needed. The campus is really well design and the accessibility to many different stores is easily go to. A nice campus and student involvement overall.

Mia

Drexel is a great university if you enjoy living in the city. There is always something to do, and always some place to go. But if you want to stay at Drexel, you have to work for it. It is not a college you can just coast through. But if you really care about what you're studying, you will thrive at Drexel. The food is the worst part about it, but it's worth it when you see what you are working towards while you are taking the classes for your major.

Dikshita

I like Drexel! It's good. People are nice and friendly

Trevor

Drexel has given me an amazing opportunity. College of Arts and Sciences[edit] Main article: Drexel University College of Arts and Sciences The College of Arts and Sciences was formed in 1990 when Drexel merged the two existing College of Sciences and College of Humanities together. Antoinette Westphal College of Media Arts and Design[edit] Main article: Antoinette Westphal College of Media Arts and Design The College of Media Arts and design "fosters the study, exploration and management of the arts: media, design, the performing and visual". The college offers sixteen undergraduate programs, and 6 graduate programs, in modern art and design fields that range from graphic design and dance to fashion design and television management. Its wide range of programs has helped the college earn full accreditation from the National Association of Schools of Art & Design, the National Architectural Accrediting Board, and the Council for Interior Design Accreditation. Bennett S. LeBow College of Business[edit] Main article: Bennett S. LeBow College of Business The Bennett S. LeBow College of Business history dates to the founding in 1891 of the Drexel Institute, that later became Drexel University, and of its Business Department in 1896. Today LeBow offers thirteen undergraduate majors, eight graduate programs, and two doctoral programs; 22 percent of Drexel University's undergraduate students are enrolled in a LeBow College of Business program. Gerri C. Lebow Hall, home of the LeBow College of Business The LeBow College of Business has been ranked as the 38th best private business school in the nation.[8] Its online MBA program is ranked 14th in the world by the Financial Times; the publication also ranks the undergraduate business program at LeBow as 19th in the United States. The part-time MBA program ranks 1st in academic quality in the 2015 edition of Business Insider's rankings. Undergraduate and graduate entrepreneurship programs are ranked 19th in the country by the Princeton Review.[9] School of Economics[edit] Economics programs at the LeBow College of Business are housed within the School of Economics. In addition to the undergraduate program in economics, the school is home to a recently launched M.S. in Economics program as well as a PhD program in economics. Faculty members in the School of Economics have been published in the American Economic Review, Rand Journal of Economics, andReview of Economics and Statistics. The school has been ranked among the best in the world for its extensive research into matters of international trade.[10] College of Engineering[edit] Main article: Drexel University College of Engineering Drexel's College of Engineering is one of its oldest and largest academic colleges, and served as the original focus of the career-oriented school upon its founding in 1891. The College of Engineering is home to several notable alumni, including two astronauts; financier Bennett S. LeBow, for whom the university's College of Business is named; and Paul Baran, inventor of the packet-switched network. Today, Drexel University's College of Engineering, which is home to 19 percent of the undergraduate student body,[11] is known for creating the world's first engineering degree in appropriate technology.[12] The college is also one of only 17 U.S. universities to offer a bachelor's degree in architectural engineering, and only one of five private institutions to do so.[13][14] Edmund D. Bossone Research Center, located on Market Street 'Avenue of Technology' The Drexel Engineering Curriculum (tDEC)[edit] The 2006 edition of U.S. News ranks the undergraduate engineering program #57 in the country and the 2007 edition of graduate schools ranks the graduate program #61. The 2008 edition ranks the University Engineering Program at #55 and in the 2009 US News Ranking, the university has moved up to the #52 position. The engineering curriculum used by the school was originally called E4 (Enhanced Educational Experience for Engineers) which was established in 1986[15] and funded in part by the Engineering Directorate of the National Science Foundation.[16] In 1988 the program evolved into tDEC (the Drexel Engineering Curriculum)[16] which is composed of two full years of rigorous core engineering courses which encompass the freshman and sophomore years of the engineering student. The College of Engineering hasn't used the tDEC curriculum since approximately 2005. College of Computing and Informatics[edit] Main article: Drexel University College of Computing and Informatics The College of Computing and Informatics is a recent addition to Drexel University, though its programs have been offered to students for many years. The college was formed by the consolidation of the former College of Information Science & Technology (often called the "iSchool"), the Department of Computer Science, and the Computing and Security Technology program. Undergraduate and graduate programs in computer science, software engineering, information systems, and computer security are offered by the college.[17] College of Medicine[edit] Main article: Drexel University College of Medicine The Drexel University College of Medicine is a recent addition to the colleges and schools of the university, having been formed upon the acquisition of MCP Hahnemann University in 2002. The College of Medicine was ranked #83 in the "Best Medical Schools: Research" category by U.S. News & World Report in 2015. In addition to its M.D. program, the College of Medicine offers several graduate programs in professional studies and biomedical sciences. Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences and Professional Studies[edit] The Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences and Professional studies offers both Master of Science and Doctor of Philosophy degree programs in fields like biochemistry, biotechnology, clinical research, and forensic science. The school also serves as the center for biomedical research at Drexel University. School of Biomedical Engineering, Science and Health Systems[edit] Founded to combine Drexel's College of Medicine academic principles with its rigorous College of Engineering curriculum, the School of Biomedical Engineering, Science and Health Systems focuses on the emerging field of biomedical science at the undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral levels. Primary research areas within the school include bioinformatics, biomechanics, biomaterials, and cardiovascular engineering.[18] College of Nursing and Health Professions[edit] Main article: Drexel University College of Nursing and Health Professions Formed in 2002 along with the College of Medicine, Drexel's College of Nursing and Health Professions offers more than 25 programs to undergraduate and graduate students in the fields of nursing, nutrition, health sciences, health services, and radiologic technology. The college's research into matters of nutrition and rehabilitation have garnered approximately $2.9 million in external research funding on an annual basis. The physician assistant program at Drexel's College of Nursing and Health Professions is ranked in the top 15 such programs in the United States; its anesthesia programs and physical therapy programs are, respectively, ranked as top-50 programs nationwide.[9] Richard C. Goodwin College of Professional Studies[edit] Main article: Goodwin College of Professional Studies Established in 1892, the department now known as the College of Professional Studies has focused exclusively on educational programs and pursuits for nontraditional adult learners. Today, the Goodwin College of Professional Studies offers several options designed for adult learners at all stages of career and educational development. Bachelor of Science degree completion programs are offered in part-time evening or weekend formats; graduate programs and doctoral programs are offered at the graduate level, as are self-paced "continuing education" courses and nearly a dozen self-paced certification programs.[19] Pennoni Honors College[edit] Main article: Pennoni Honors College The Pennoni Honors College, named for Drexel alumnus and trustee Dr. C.R. "Chuck" Pennoni '63, '66, Hon. '92, and his wife Annette, recognizes and promotes excellence among Drexel students. Students admitted to the Honors College live together and take many of the same classes; the college provides these students with access to unique cultural and social activities and a unique guest speaker series. Students are also involved in the university's Honors Student Advisory Committee and have the opportunity to take part in Drexel's "Alternative Spring Break", an international study tour held each spring.[20] Thomas R. Kline School of Law Thomas R. Kline School of Law[edit] Main article: Thomas R. Kline School of Law Upon its founding in 2006, the Thomas R. Kline School of Law, originally known as the Earle Mack School of Law, was the first law school founded in Philadelphia in more than three decades. The School of Law offers L.L.M. and Master of Legal Studies degrees, in addition to the flagship Juris Doctorate program, and uniquely offers cooperative education as part of its curriculum across all programs. In 2015, Bloomberg Business ranked the Kline School of Law as the second most underrated law school in the United States.[21] School of Education[edit] One of the oldest schools within Drexel University, the modern School of Education dates back to the 1891 founding of the school. Originally, the Department of Education offered teacher training to women as one of its original, career-focused degree programs. Today, the School of Education offers a coeducational approach to teacher training at the elementary and secondary levels for undergraduates. Other undergraduate programs include those focused on the intersection between learning and technology, teacher certification for non-education majors, and a minor in education for students with an interest in instructio

Aliena

After just three terms, Drexel University has become my home. This university has offered me so much more than just an education. It has given me life long friends, experiences, and lessons. I am more than happy to go to school in the heart of university city and absorb all that this environment has to offer.

Ancy

It's a rigorous academic intuition with the right amount of fun. The engineering program is great especially with the hands on experience you'll receive from co-op. Drexel has lots to offer since it is located in the city of Philadelphia. It's also walking distance from 30th Street Station where you can catch a train to any major city via train.

Kerrie

I will be attending Drexel this fall of 2018 as a full time student. I have visited the school enough times to say everyone is friendly and welcoming. The buildings are amazing and they offer great programs for students to explore and experience different opportunities. Especially the co ops, which allow students to enter a company and work a job similar to their major, so the students could experience a taste of what their career would consist of.

Cynthia

Drexel is indeed, a very expensive school to attend. However, if you are smart with where you decide to live and where to get food, it won't put you in crippling debt. Drexel is also an extremely convenient place to be because it is right next to University of Pennsylvania, so you have access to those stores, and Center City is very easy to access as well. What makes Drexel worth it, though, is its co-op program. It can be difficult finding the right co-op, and for some students, they might not have the best co-op experience, but it is an opportunity that few other universities have, and if you plan far enough ahead, you can have a great experience. In addition, because of its proximity to other Philadelphia-based universities, you can also find plenty of various volunteer and research opportunities if you ask around. There are also many research opportunities on campus.

Sidney

I am a transfer student and coming from my previous school, Drexel is absolutely incredible. My professors are extremely qualified and experienced in their fields, students are passionate and approachable, the campus is beautiful. I take part in greek life and it was definitely a great way to get involved. Not to mention Drexel is super close to center city and their are subway stations right on campus so getting around the city is no problem at all.

Wiktoria

It's a very "you get whatever you put in school". Nothing is really handed to you, but there are plenty of opportunities to be found. The overall culture very well prepares you for the real-world as there is no one specifically pushing you to do anything, you have to be driven yourself to be successful.

Rachael

It’s a very expensive school and yet they still email you asking for donations even after you go into massive debt just to attend. I think that’s extremely messed up. It’s a good school but some of the teachers make the classes way harder than they need to be and are pretty unfair graders.

Drexel University is an okay school. It's academics aren't any spectacular for the total cost of attending. The housing options are decent but way too overpriced for the conditions. Overall, I can't say I would recommend it just based on academics, but they do have a decent co-op system where a student for three years can work at a company for 6 months and attend classes for the other 6 months, all while still being enrolled as a student. They also have a 5-year BS/MS program for most majors, but for those, you have to reapply your 3rd year and most people typically drop their 3rd co-op. It's also based on the quarter the system, so if you're thinking about doing study aboard or applying to any national internships, you really have to plan around it. I wouldn't recommend it if you're interested in academia, but if you're looking at doing industry and have a large enough bank account, then Drexel might be the school for you.

While the academic programs at Drexel University are average, the institution does offer a valuable co-op program that allows students to cycle through three years of attending classes for six months and working for a company for the remaining six months. The co-op advisers are willing to work with students and provided numerous sources and suggestions on how to ace a job interview. It's a great school for those looking to enter industry rather than research, but there are several opportunities for students to participate in research. One particular opportunity is the Students Tackling Advanced Research (S.T.A.R.), where first year students can choose to join a research team with one of the professors at Drexel or at an international partnering college or university abroad. I personally participated in the program and received the opportunity to complete my research at the Sri Sivasubramaniya Nadar College of Engineering in Chennai, India, which was an amazing experience. However, because Drexel is a private institution, the cost of education is quite high compared to other colleges. They do offer a decent amount in scholarships, but it would still be advisable to continuously apply for scholarships while attending.

Jillian

Drexel University as a great university to attend. With any university you will have your issues such as this organization or miscommunication. I have had a few interactions with my Advisor who came off as inpatient answer on edge, however I think it was due to the amount of pressure that she is always under. Other than that I would definitely recommend the school to other students if you are interested in nursing. The school has exceeded my expectations with both standardized testing and prepare me for jobs in the future.

Nina

Drexel University, located in Philadelphia's University City, is a fast-growing urban research university dedicated to learning and civic engagement. The campus fits snugly between the University of Pennsylvania and Center City Philadelphia, allowing for plenty of opportunities for cultural activities and meeting new people. The professors are friendly, knowledgeable, and are genuinely invested in their students' education.

Keyanna

I enjoy how the school is a public place where there's access to many opportunities outside. As a visitor, I don't however enjoy the reputation that some of the dorms hold. I have heard negative things about the dorms there and it is kind of discouraging.

Kylie

Drexel University is the perfect city school. It has a lot of night life and is close to University of Penn to offer college campus life as well. While it is definitely insanely expensive, the school has a lot to offer. The academic terms are 10 weeks long and so it is important that you are able to work in a fast pace. Their greatest attribute is COOP which allows students to gain work experience and get paid while still studying which is a huge strength career wise. The campus feels very safe despite being located in a city. Overall, I would recommend Drexel to any student who enjoys city life and fast paced academics.

Dalton

Drexel is a school that is rated highly and has a great location. The academics are almost ivy league as we share professors with the University of Pennsylvania. The campus is 3 blocks from center city Philadelphia making it easy i=to find something new to do every day. Drexel has a 10-week quarter system that makes each term go by very fast so it is important to stay on top of things.

Genevieve

A wonderful science and engineering school, professors who only want you to learn, grow, and succeed. Talking for the physics department alone, even though they’re over worked due to the high amount of Gen Ed’s they have to teach to the other majors, they still find the time and energy to help the physics majors understand their craft.