Drexel University Top Questions

What should every freshman at Drexel University know before they start?

Shauna

Dear High School Self, Make new friends. Don't worry so much about holding on to old ones. People grow up, people change, and people move on. The friends that matter will stick around. You're moving to a new city full of new people so go out and mingle! However, don't forget to stay up late and study for that exam that you need to get an A on. Please please please don't stop going to the gym, you don't want to gain that freshman fifteen. When it comes to choosing an internship, don't just pick the one that pays the most. Think about your interests and where you will be able to get the most experience. Don't be shy. You're not alone, ever. There is always someone out there ready to talk and be your friend, you just need to give him or her a chance. Finally, have fun! Once your 5 years of undergraduate are over then you need to be ready to become an adult. But don't think that far ahead, live in the moment!

If I could go back and have a conversation with my high school self, I would mainly tell myself two things; work harder and open up more. I wish I had done more in high school, like participated in more clubs and sports and also worked towards scholarships because now I know how beneficial those are. I was a shy person in high school and thankfully had friends who helped me open up some, but as all high school seniors experience, not all of your friends go the same direction after graduation. This was a hard transition. Looking back now, I would tell myself not to be so worried about fitting in and to always be myself. I would remind myself daily that I am under no obligation to make sense to anyone or fit anyone else's mold. Lastly, my dad has always told me to "step up to the plate, Hannah" and I would have made that my motto... It sure is now!

Diana

Assuming I would go back in time, I would tell myself to not be so narrow minded. In high school I was set on physical therapy and that was that. I am attending graduate school for occupational therapy, and if I were more open to other ideas and suggestions I may have educated myself on other avenues. I do not regret my past, but I would tell myself to not be so stubborn. In high school it is easy to stick to one idea and believe you know all. This thinking is in opposition once you are let loose out of high school. There are so many carrers and some of those you may not have to go to school for as long or need nearly as much training.

Melissa

Tak a deep breath. Before coming to college, I was inwardly petrified by the future. Despite what people told me, I felt like I was the only one of my peers who was significatnly struggling with the age-old question: "What do you want to do with your life?" Since the 5th grade all I could talk about was getting out of my small-time hometown, and my chance had arrived yet I was convinced I would be wasting it. You'll never get anywhere in life if you don't step outside your comfort zone. High-school-Melissa, it was definitely worth it.

Jacquelyn

There is one specific thing that I would love to go back and tell my high school self, which is to follow my gut or, more so, my dreams. I originally applied to all business schools, believing that was the most practical plan. I knew fashion was my ultimate passion much earlier on but did not take the idea of it seriously enough, so I took the only other route I could somewhat see myself doing, business. However, after multiple open houses, visits, and accepted students days, I was convinced of my unhappiness and boredom. Even my mom picked up on it when she was impressed with one of the schools' stock market labs and I stared blankly. I finally came to terms that if I want to be successful, which is determined through passion and happiness, I needed to pursue my dreams. This is when I discovered Drexel and learned of their Design and Merchandising program, the perfect combination of business and fashion. I now attend and study what feels like a hobby, not work. I wish I could go back and tell myself that if I do the research and put in the time, dreams can be reality.

Kerry

The advice I would give myself is to put myself out there and not be so shy. I think being shy has caused me to miss out on oppurtunities that I could have benefited from. I think putting yourself out there is important and I wish I knew that as a high school senior. Being in college I have learned that the worst thing that can happen if you put yourself out there is being told no. If you are told no then you pick yourself back up and start all over again. I think my college life would be a lot different if I didn't shy away from so many oppurtunities.

Jerome

Dear Self, You are going to come across many obstacles that will distract you in the near future. Whatever you do, stay focused on your school work. This part of your life is so simple yet, so critical. It is simple because you only have to go to school, do your work, and you will be able to have whatever your heart desires. The reason this part of life will be critical is because you can possibly save yourself thousands of dollars by getting good grades which could possibly lead to a full scholarship. This way once you graduate your money will be free to spend on whatever you want instead of paying back student loans for the rest of your life. Drexel is very expensive and if we do what we need to do now, we can eliminate that problem. I also suggest that you either do some volunteer work or take on a leadership role during your senior year. It will be highly desirable and knowledgeable for your future. Adopt the phrase, "don't make excuses, make a way." This will allow you to always stay focused. Our success and happiness will come if you do these things.

Thea

Thea, check it out! I have a time a machine! I knew you would love that. I’m here to give you some important advice. I know, you’re me, and you probably won’t take it, but there will be decisions you have to make soon. What to major in. Where to live. What to wear. Whether to date your roommate or not. How much time to spend working instead of going to class. The list is long but my time here is short, so I have a single principle for you, to remember when you’re faced with any choice, that will build your confidence, reputation, enthusiasm for life, general likeability, and, choice by choice, your ultimate success: ask Nine-Year-Old Thea. You knew who you were and what you wanted when you were that bug-poking, T-Rex-tee-shirt-wearing, rock-carving, wheelie-popping explorer. If you’re ever in doubt about anything (and you will be, all the time, for years), find a tree, touch the bark, listen to the leaves, close your eyes, and ask Nine-Year-Old Thea what she wants. Never forget that you’re the guardian of her dreams.

Ann

I would tell myself to make a list of my dreams and place them in my journal for safe keeping. I would tell myself to look at that list a couple of times per term, in order to keep things in perspective. When a student , especially one fresh out of high school, travels to a whole new set of surroundings, that student starts to feel a mix of emotions. The student is excited for the new adventure, eager to start the new term, but has a fear of failure. Although I was pretty accepting in the beginning, a partial melancoly feeling came over me. Leaving my past life and everyone and everything I hold dear, was one of the hardest decisions I had to make. I feared that I wasn't going to do well, especially while embarking in the competitve business field. I kept pushing myself to never give up on whatever was thrown at me. I now know that keeping things in perspective is imperative, because it is so easy for someone to lose sight of their purpose.

Letitia