Drury University Top Questions

Follow your parent's advice and choose a school that will benefit you financially, ie gives scholarships. In addition, do not rush to be an adult, enjoy dorm life, social clubs, and the "typical" college experience. You will never get to go back and be in your early 20s again.

I would advise to stay out of the "college life," which is revolved around partying and is not focused on academics. The college life tends to ruin people's education because it interfers with their academics. They spend thousands of dollars towards tuition and taking steps closer to earning their degree, but choose to go out and party instead of focusing on what truly matters. Nothing is more important than education in college; that is the reason why students are there. It is important to stay on track and to prioritize what is important.

If I could go back in time and give my former high school self some advice I would absolutely ensure that I understood the importance of focusing on my school work. Unfortunately, when I transitioned from high school to Saint Louis University I did not understand that importanct. In high school I was like a lot of other teenagers; consumed with social life, sports, friends, and enjoying life. One thing that did not make it onto my radar was studying! I felt good about getting decent grades and rarely (if ever) put in the work to ensure I received great grades. Looking back now it's easy to see my former self perfectly placed for a stiff punch from college life. Now, I'm on my second attempt at college and this one will be successful. I have grown-up and matured as a person with te ability to recognize my past flaws and look forward to 'showing-up' my past self by displaying the amount of focus needed academically to be successful. It wasn't hard to identify what my former high school senior self needed to hear. The real question is, "Would I have actually listened?"

I would tell myself few things. I would tell myself that it isn't as intimdating as you initially thought. That I can accomplish anything, but that I need to study hard. Also, i would tell myself to apply for more scholarships to help pay for college. Other that I felt like that as a senior in high school, that i was fairly prepared to continue my journey into the college life. I was prepared, but scared to make the transition. Once it came time for it, I realized it wasn't nearly as scary as I initially thought it was. With that being said, I would tell myself that I can do it. I would also tell myself that I should shy away from procrastinating. I'd also tell myself that I need to get in the habit of studying a lot. If i could just tell myself that advice, I believe I would be a much better student.

If I could go back in time to when I was a senior, I would tell myself to embrace new beginnings. Life is so full of opportunities and the journey is spectacular. I would've told myself to apply for scholarships. It's difficult seeing my bank account, and my parents, being drained from tuition and books. I would've told myself to spend more time with my family. After all, family is all you have at the end of the day. They have always supported me and I always took them for granted when I was younger and it shows now. I would've told myself to find a hobby and seek pleasure and enjoyment in little things. I would've told myself to let go and face my challenges head on instead of trying to escape. Six years later I am finally starting to see that only I am in charge of my life and others can't make my decisions for me. It's funny how life works and how time has the perfect way of showing you what matters. I wish I would’ve learned that everything I was running from was in my head.

alissa

I would tell myself to not take advantage of the down time. and do all the extra credit you can!

Cinnamon

I did not go to high school at all, so I would actually go back and talk to myself at age 12 when I completed only one quarter of my seventh grade year. I would of told myself that schooling is much easier to do when you are young and that it will be harder to pick up later in life. I would of told myself that I would for sure be wanting an education in some area in the future and that learning basic education like math will be much easier at a young age.

Pheobe

Study hard and talk to my school counselor about which classes I need to take to help me do better when I go to college. Apply for scholarships during my senior year and keep my gpa high.

College is exactly what you expected, but easier. If you're hoping for an academic challenge, you're going to be severely disappointed. I understand how International Baccalaureate prepared you for strenuous work and night upon night of slogging through homework, and hundreds of hours of work on a single paper (I'm you, I would know, after all). College is different. Get used to it quickly, or else you're going to be miserable and bored, because, really? College needs to be different. You learned how to work hard in high school. That kind of work pays itself off quickly when you know how to write a paper and see symbolism, rather than look for it, and in the kind of general knowledge that you get through Psychology, History, and Chemistry classes. College is learning how to work with people, learn how the world works, and gives you time to figure things out by yourself, and for yourself, without being so rushed that important personal epiphanies get written down and thrown into your next Theory of Knowledge paper. College is less of a 'grade' and more of a personally beneficial experience that absolutely must be taken advantage of.

Dear Ali, I have some adivce for you for the coming months and years. I know you do not feel like moving 800 miles from your home and friends to the Midwest is what's best for you, but your parents actually are right this time. Even though they are the ones who made the final decision you know deep down it is really right. In the end you are going to have the best four years of your life, and you are going to make friends who truely love YOU. You will make mistakes and date the wrong guys, but life is a journey and you will come out on top in the end. Throw all your anxiety and fear out the window. Your freshman roommate is an absolute doll, and you will love every moment you share in your tiny dorm room. Yes, you will fit in and actually join a sorority of girls just like yourself. You can take any classes you want. Take the time to figure out what it is YOU want to do with your life. Enjoy the time; do not rush it. Life is about the journey - embrace it!

The advice that I would give myself would to make as many friends as possilable. That way you will always have someone who wants hangout if someone doesn't. I would let myself know that after I do join Zeta Tau Alpha do go to as many greek events as possilable so I can meet as many men and women who are in the greek system as well. Then I would talk about keeping my head into why I came to Drury so to keep my head in my studies. That way I can earn very good grades and keep all of my scholarships. Do not let going out and partying get in the way of my future becasue my education what will happen with the rest of my life.

Just be yourself. Do not let others pressure you into being someone you are not because this affects who your friends are. Find those friends that accept who you are and they will stick around and make your life wonderful. I would not need to remind myself that school is important because I have never forgotten that once, but reminding myself that sleep is important would help me transition much better. There is not much I would need to tell myself besides those two things because I have done well with the transition to college life by just staying true to myself and reminding myself that I am here to learn and get a good job once I graduate.

Mingee

Get a job as soon as you can before graduating! Saving up is definitely something worth doing since there will be four more years plus graduate school. I would also tell myself to go with my original gut feeling when choosing a major. Nothing hurts more financially than doing a year or so in a field you were already having a doubt since first declaring the major freshman year.

Get your basics out of the way first. Stay in school and take full course loads. Give it everything you got!

Jana

If I were to go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would advise myself to take as many college courses in high school as possible. When I was in high school, I wanted the easy route. I took many useless elective classes instead of taking classes that would have saved me time and money in the long run. I went into college with fifteen credit hours, when I could have completely finished my AA degree in high school. Teachers used to tell me that I would eventually regret my decision, but I paid them no mind. I was too worried about getting through high school with no stress. I wish I would have listened to my advisors. I'm sure taking a college course in high school is a lot easier than it is in an actual college setting. It also would have saved me a good two hundred dollars per class and I could have shortened my college career. I advise all high school students to take as many college courses as they can before they graduate! It really helps with money and time.

My senior year of high school was filled with scholarship applications, calculus AP study guides, and college brochures. I put a lot of pressure on myself all throughout high school and my senior year was my chance to prove myself and stand out. Not only did I want to succeed in high school, but I also wanted to pick the perfect college. I am a very indecisive person and trying to choose the university where I would spend my next four years was nearly impossible. And instead of enjoying my last year of high school, I was stressed about editing my application essays and studying for the next big test. If I could go back and give myself advice, I would say to take it easy on myself. I would say, "Erica, this is your last year at home and the last time you will see a lot of the people you have grown up with. Enjoy this year and relax, you have the next four years to stress about picking a major and becoming an adult."

Ethan

So far I've really liked my campus. It's a small school, so you have a closer relationship to the proffesors. The proffesors also all will know your name, we're more than just a number here. The campus life is also wonderful, including dorm and appartment life. Drury offers many different programs so that you can study in just about anything you are interested in.

My personal experience as a college student has been a roller coaster of a ride. Enrolled as a newly minted, if slightly immature freshman, I could hardly wait to begin studies and make new friends. Now a junior, looking back I have seen so much personal growth and maturity and this is due to the efforts of my professors, the positive influence of good friends and the overall mission statement of my school. I have learned that everything and anything can be studied- but it is up to you about how your academics will form and shape your lifestyle. No one can learn the lessons for you- it is your life, your future and you are responsible. I know that this has already affected my work ethic not only towards academics but also my professional jobs. I feel that this university has prepared me for the future and wherever I go I know that this insitute's lessons will be applicable everyday of my life. These valuable lessons have been at the forefront of my mind since day one of attending this university and will continue to develop long past my graduation and for this I am forever grateful.

I not only earned a Bachelor of Biology degree, I found who I was in college. I went from being a naive young girl who wouldn't stick up for herself to gaining self-confidence and independence, allowing me to end a terrible relationship and find what I wanted out of life. I no longer allow people to walk over me and I hold my college education in the greatest of regards as it is one of the most valuable things I will ever attain.

Completing my undergraduate degree has been a dream come true. I believe I have grown as a person and have a better understanding of our world on so many levels. I am a mother of two college age children and finishing my degree has made them proud, as well provided a model of how important higher education is in our ever changing diverse world. I believe I have gained a more humanitarian approach to communication and understanding of other societies and cultures regardless of gender, religion and culture. We share our world with all other mankind and creatures which rely on one another through biodiversity, communication and socioeconomicall issues. I have become a better person and member of society through my educational experience at Drury University and aspire to complete my PhD--it will remain on my bucket list until that final day of graduation with diploma in hand.

I have learned many things in college and overall found myself and what i would enjoy to do with me life and still helping people. It has been quite valuable to attend not only am I learning but I am making friends.

Ethan

So far I have begun to understand that, even though high school was so easy for me, college is a completely new level. It has taught me to be more responsible, and less of a procrastinator. It has reminded me that you get out of something what you put into it. Drury is an amasing school. I definaltely made the right choice.

Being at Drury, I've learned that you should never close options off until you have explored them. Limiting yourself by not examining all options will leave you wondering and doubting months or years down the road. College and classes are an important choice, so wiegh every decision, dont jump into one even if you are dead set at first; examine all options.

Billie

Sitting here at my desk at 33 years old I wonder how much easier it would have been to go through college and not worry about supporting a family. I came from a single parent home with no college education in my future. If I could go back in time and talk to myself in high school I would say college IS in your future and this is what you need to do to get started. I would tell my younger self first of all that I will grow up to be a confident, outgoing woman so stop being so shy. I would help my younger self as if I were my own high school counselor. Finally, I would say to my younger self that I have a good life but it would have been soo much easier if I had someone helping me back then like I am helping you now. Life is hard and it's the little things that adds up that helps us the most. College is difficult so just do it and get it over with so you can enjoy the rest of your life doing what you love to do.

Dear Ian, Strange, but true. I am "you" four years from now...a college senior. No, not high school senior. College senior. I am the future you---a few inches taller, a bit broader in the chest and shoulders, and immensely more mature. I know you're a bit arrogrant right now, thinking you don't need advice because you think you know all there is worth knowing. However, listen up...I can help smooth the way as you begin the next part of your educational journey. (And just for the record, as a seventeen year-old kid, you are not even in same zip code as "All Knowing.") While you still have the "safety nets" called Mom and Dad, learn what works for you in the way of organization. Try different ways to keep up with your courses, your trumpet practice, your schedule. A college your parents won't be keeping you on track...You have to do that yourself. Also, when friends get stuck without any hope of college, make sure to keep in touch whenever you're home on break. They'll keep you grounded and appreciative (and they'll continue to be good friends). Love, Ian

Sky

One: DON'T PANIC. And two: It's okay to be clueless! Don't be afraid to ask all of these questions before you get here; I know you think the American School System sucks (and you'd be right), but if you don't know the answers, and you can't get them from the books or the teachers or anyone else, go look them up elsewhere. Stop being afraid of everything and go learn what you want to learn, no matter what you have to do to get it. The world isn't obligated to tell you everything you want to know, and nor are you entitled to make them tell you. If you want something so badly, stop hiding behind things and go get it! (Also, the food's great. Note to self: take a yoga class so you won't have such violent thoughts towards bad roomates and kids with too much time and money on their hands.) Two jobs and people to take care of is only the beginning of Dante's Inferno, but if you thought that book was actually FUNNY, then I promise you - it will get better. It's worth it.

Stephanie, life is not always what you expect nor is it always what you want. When you take the ACT relax and do not let the stress bog you down. You are unique and your opinions are worthwhile. Everyone in the world is different despite some all too apparent similarities. When you apply to colleges do not procrastinate and be sure to show your passionate side. Apply for more scholarships than you think necessary because what you think is ample is not adequate. Expenses will pop up and surprise you around every corner. Once you get to college call your parents, this may sound clich? but they miss you and you may not admit it but you will miss them too. You will learn that not every family is like yours. But do not be afraid of meeting new people, in fact embrace the opportunity. Throughout the semesters people around you will constantly be changing their majors but do not feel pressured to do the same. If you find what you absolutely love do not give it up. Although lucrative, being a doctor may not be right for you. Another clich? but utterly important, be yourself because you deserve it.

chelsee

The advice I would give myself is, get serious. In high school it feels as if you are going to be there forever, so you goof off and do not take things seriously. In college however, you cannot do that. You have to be able to buckle down and get things done without someone constantly pushing you to do so. Being self reliant is key.

Having the ability to talk to myself as a high school senior, I would say that college is a great experience, and if you just be yourself and try new things, you will make the best of it. Every other freshman around you is going through the same thing, and making friends is not as hard as you think. Don't hold back, accept challenges and be honest...nobody likes a liar. Remember that you are a beautiful person, inside and out, and people will eventually accept you for who you are. Although you will not agree with what everyone has to say all the time, be open and listen. Have respect for others and don't create unneccessary conflict. Enjoy your education, you are definitely paying enough for it! Also, ask questions and try your hardest to keep up! Procrastination is the worst disease to have. College is a time to enjoy, and it WILL go by quickly. FInally, love yourself and others, don't take advantage of people and have the time of your life! :)

Johana

I would let her know that despite how hard things may be at times, that there will always be an upswing. Life has its share of both good and rotten events. Some of these events can be avoided by making good or timely decisions, and some are unavoidable and must be endured like a bad storm. But no matter how harsh things may seem, the important thing is to not give up and try to always look on the bright side of life. This is not something that is always easy to do, but nothing worth having is easy to obtain. I would also tell her that she is worth more than she thinks she is, that there are people who care about her, and want her to be happy. Even though she will meet some people that should ultimately be avoided, that there are many others who are more deserving of her friendship. These people will help her gain more confidence, help her succeed, and put her on the right path of life. It's easier than it seems to fall off the wagon, but it's never too late to hop back onto it.

Rossana

You are stronger than you think. Take the time to find your passion in life an transcend it to your occupation in life. Do not let other people's opinions guide your decisions, for you will truly find no sense of identity in that. Take advantage of the resources afforded to you and never be afraid to ask for help. Pride will always be your downfall, humble yourself to every situation, and always stay teachable. Idle hands are the devil's workshop, always have a hobby or get out of yourself and go help someone in need, the feelings of happiness and usefullness you will experience can soar your heart to the heavens. You are the circle of people you spend your time with, if you hang around people who excel in their endeavors then you will too and vice versa, if you spend your free time with those who focus on partying the weeknights and weekends away, then you will find yourself sinking along with them. Find your balance, implore moderation in all that you do, do not let any one thing take up all your energy, you can accomplish anything you dream, take the risk and try.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself eight important things. The first thing I would tell myself would be that when you get to college no one will care who you were in high school, that you get to start over, and at the bottom. The second thing would be to get involved, join Greek life, a sport, or a club, get connected. The third thing is to be serious about grades from the first day, developing good study habits. Which leads to the fourth thing, do not procrastinate, school work comes first. The fifth thing would be to eat healthy when you can because there will be many nights you will not. The sixth thing I would tell myself is to find a way to relieve stress that works for you. The seventh thing would be to make a friend, a true friend who you can tell everything and anything to, but this will take time. The last thing I would tell myself is to have fun, take pictures, and make lots of memories because college is suppose to be the best time of your life!

Wherever you go make the best of it. You get the experience YOU want out of your school--you get out of it what you put into it. Also, apply to as many scholarships as possible, including those outside of school.

Dear High School Senior, That ACT score meant more than getting all A's, I'm afraid. In other words, take a little breather and focus on what really matters in the end. Your close friends deserve some attention for sticking by and putting up with your intense and crazy personality for the past four years. Look into the college called Drury University, I think you'll find what you're looking for and save a good amount of time. Develop your smooth talking skills about all topics of conversation to prepare yourself for the big scholarship interview. It's the smooth talkers that get the full rides in the end, honey. Do not worry about living in the "best" looking dorm; there are so many ways to spruce up a shabby looking space. Oh, and do not open your mouth and complain about money; we're all poor college students. Just relax and take everything in. It is all overwhelming, but every student is feeling the same way. You will meet your true friends in time, as long as you be yourself and, believe it or not, if you sorority Rush! Take care, girl. Love, Your Future Self

I would tell myself not to be in such a hurry to start my life. Higher education is so important in this day and time. After high school I got married and started a family not thinking about what I wated to do with my life beyond being a mother. Eleven years later, here I am 29 with 3 children and a full-time student. As a high school sudent, I just never really understood why going to college was such a big deal. Neither of my parents went to college. I know now that if they had, we may have been finacially more stable. I want to give that to my children and give them the understandance that I never had.

If I were able to go back in time to talk to myself I would tell myself not to be so afraid. Now konwing that college isn't so imtimidating makes me look back and laugh about all the questions i had in the back of my mind. Also i traveld 500 miles to go to Drury and was also afraid that i would not make any friends. The first thing that happened whole i was on campus is i joined a football game infront of my dorm room and made new freinds. Those same guys are my best friends to this day and i am greatful that Drury had that opportunity waiting for me. Also i would tell myself that I need to go to every single calss and not slack off. This is college and its for real and it will affect your future and what road you will take there. Also i would tell myself to never be afraid of failing because failing makes us better people and we can only learn from failing.

I would tell myself to be who I am and stand up for myself and be confident in all I do.

I would tell myself to always be true to who I am and what I believe, no matter how hard it gets. I would remind myself that if I lose sight of who I am, I will lose myself in who I've become, and that person is never as good as the person I truly am. I would also reassure myself that my dreams will come true, that some of them already have, and to keep fighting through it all.

yang

Enjoy the life and don't waste the time.

Sarah, I know you dont think that you will actually want to go into physics as a career, but you will find out in a few years that it is actually your calling, so acknowledging that now would benefit you greatly. Also, I know you dont feel like you have time to apply for all of those scholarships, but when it comes time to pay off school you will REALLY wish you had that money now, especially since dad is going have a serious accident in a few months and wont be able to keep his job due to the injury to his brain. He will have to work at a gas station to be able to pay his bills and you will be left on ur own for college. Also, dont be afraid to wait a year or two to start. if you dont feel ready, thats ok. get a full time job at pier-one and save-up. It's what you will end up doing anyway, so its better to just get it outa the way first. Lastly, remember to breath. It's the most important thing to know in college.

Fallan

If I could go back in time to my senior year in high school I would tell myself that in one year I would realize just how amazing school can be. I would tell my younger self to not worry about anything, that as long as I continued to stay focused on school and homework, I would be fine. I would tell myself about the wonderful library that has thousands of books to read and learn amazing things. I would advise myself to start reading and listening to the news, because Drury is a place where knowing what is up to date is very important. I would also advise myself to take more art classes, as I am in a Fine Arts major and it does get competitive because there are so many talented people. The last thing that I would suggest to myself is to be careful of what I spend my money on. Other than that, I would just tell myself to get excited because the best is yet to come. Drury is amazing and offers so much and continues to offer more each year.

Colleen

On my college search, people always told me to pick the college that ?felt right? or the school I could ?imagine myself at.? I?m sure this advice works for some people, but not for me; when I was in high school, I couldn?t imagine myself living anywhere away from home. So my advice for someone choosing a college would be to go someplace comfortable, but not overly familiar. A person shouldn?t choose a college based on where his/her friends are going, because it?s hard to meet new people with an old group of friends always around. I chose my school because of its strong pre-medicine program instead of where my friends went, and I love it. To make the most of college, you have to find good friends to experience it with. Freshmen need to join organizations to make new friends, whether it be Greek life or religious clubs or intramural sports. College isn?t all about partying, it?s about finding out more about yourself in a completely fresh, exciting environment.

Aprille

Make sure that what you are pursueing is accredited by the school you are attending. Education is very important and go to a school that will give you all the benefits of your degree. Even if the tuition is high it is about the best education possible look for the accredition based on placement. Education is the upmost importance.

Dalton

I advice parents and students to check out a college before deciding on one. This can give the student a feel for the school. Also, I highly recommend a smaller college say 8,000 students or less because you can really connect with people in your classes and with your professors. I think this is really important because it allows the student to learn better and make more friendships in their smaller classes. In a larger class, it's hard to get to know people because you're just a face in the crowd. Also, your professor doens't get a chance to know you for who you are. It really comes down to what the student wants and is looking for in a college. In the end, it is the student who will be attending classes, participating in sports or intrumals, and meeting new people. You need a place that fits you and your wants and needs.

Taryn

Quality is very important when deciding what college to go to. It is a decision in your life that could alter your career path so think about what's best for you in all aspects. Whether it be academic, sports related, social, or financial reasons, let those reasons guide you. Ultimately the student will have to attend this school for 2-4 years so be sure to be somewhere you'll love. Think about college as not only a degree granting process, but as an experience that will let you grow not only academically but in many other ways.

I am a non-traditional student. I'm a 27 yr. old mother of four. My advice would be you must find a school that fits you; not your best buddy. I searched extensivly for a school that would work with, not only myself, my family. Drury offered classes that fit my schedual, and were SO nice in understanding that if I have a situation arise with one of my children that is my first priority. My oldest child has down syndrome, so my professors are always interested and supportive if I need ANYTHING!

Dean

Look at lots of different places. It isn't just the education that you want, it is the experience that will forever mold the minds of the future generation. We must feel comfortable with the new surroundings in order to accept them and allow them to influence us in a positive manner. And let your kids make up thier own mind. Don't try to make them go do this or go to that college. You will get the wrong reaction in the long run from that type of negative influence.

My advice to parents and students about finding the right college is find a college that fits the students personality. I think going out of state if possible is important to get he full college experience. At my school many of the students who live close go home all the time on weekends and do not get the full experience. Going out of state give the student an experience somewhere different than where they have been for most of their life. Its important to see what else is out there so after college they can decide where they want to be and what the right place for them is. Also, a lot of students go to college with a lot of the same people when they go in state. This can often times limit then from going out and meeting new people. They tend to hang out with the same people and not as many new people as they would if they went to a school farther away. To make the most out of a college experience you have to do what makes you happy and not what the parents want you to get involved in.

Get to know how financial aid works. It doesn't matter how well you do in class, if you can't pay for it, you can't stay anyway. Understand the rules of financial aid and how to make them work for you, not for the school. Once the financial aid burden is out of the way, make sure you get to know the head of your degree program once you've picked it. If possible, have your academic advisor changed to this person or someone else in that department. If you decide to seek a graduate degree, try to make this choice as early as possible; no later than the start of your second junior semester. Get as much information as you can and get to work on the application process before the start of your first senior semester. Lastly, have fun. This is your life and if you aren't having fun in your classes, then take ones you do enjoy. College may be about work, but it should also be enjoyable.

Being on the Student Recruitment Team at Drury, I talk with prospective students and their parents often and the best advice I could give is to visit the schools you are interested in and do your research on them. Ask lots of questions, no matter how absurd it may seem. File your FAFSA early and be applying for scholarships early in your Senior year. When you get to college, students, try things that are outside of your comfort zone and get involved on campus, because thats where you make those life long friends. Never take for granted the opportunity given.