Duke University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Duke University

Sophia

Duke Univesity is an amazing school for work-life balance. Students at Duke are certainly hard workers, but academics do not define them. The choice to separate freshmen on a different campus fostered an amazing tight-knit community that contributed to this balance. My adjustment to college was seamless, as I easily connected with people around me. Classes, especially those in Engineering worked to encourage collaboration between peers. The dining food has plenty of options, and I never got bored of the food. The one complaint I would have is that the math department does not match the academic excellence I have seen in other departments.

Isibel

It's a very challenging and difficult place to deal with in terms of academics and atmosphere. However, there are unlimited opportunities of which to take advantage. Most people are cooperative. Faculty is first-rate. Your future will be bright if you come to Duke.

Kaila

I LOVE Duke! It has everything I could ever want in a university. The academics are AMAZING. Professors and even my classmates are always willing to go the extra mile to help me understand material. There are so many resources and support systems waiting to be utilized. On top of the excellent academics, our basketball team is internationally known! There's something for everybody in all aspects at Duke!

Earl

Duke is a big college and I want to attend there cause I want to be in the NBA.

Naomi

I believe Duke does a good job at maintaining a healthy balance between academics and social life. Despite the academic rigor of the school, I can say that I have found friends and extracurriculars that interest me to alleviate stress. Duke was not my top choice, but after becoming a student, I would not want to be anywhere else. Duke is no walk in the park, but with every step, I find another reason to love and appreciate my school.

Melanie

Duke is a pretty amazing place. I've met incredible and brilliant people who I hope to stay friends for a long time, I have discovered new passions and pursued already known ones, and I have countless of opportunities to explore my diverse interests. The academics are rigorous, and if you are not used to study, they can take the best out of you. However, reaching out to your classmates, friends and campus resources will make it easier to handle. As similar colleges, it has its issues and things it can improve upon but at the end the day, I truly love Duke.

Divya

This place is a wonderland. If you want to go to a school full of the most ambitious, intelligent, social, and hardworking people you will ever meet, apply to Duke. Between the college sports, party scene, world-class academic resources, brilliant, accessible faculty, and extremely loyal and supportive alumni network, I cannot think of a place I am more honored to call home. Duke has been very, very, very good to me. It is one of my favorite places on Earth.

Demondre

Duke is a wonderful school that helps students reach their goals in that specific profession .

Danielle

I made my college decision on the last possible day, but I have never regretted choosing Duke over Dartmouth. Duke is at the forefront of Neuroscience with the Duke Institute for Brain Sciences which opens the door for interesting courses and research opportunities. Classes can be difficult but the people here are so willing to help you out with anything. 10 out of 10 would recommend. Also, we have basketball.

Nurah

I absolutely love this school. There is a great balance of academic and social life. You will never be bored here with the abundance of activities that are going on around campus year round. Everyone is friendly for the most part. The only thing I would work on improving is how the administration handles issues involving minority groups. Minority groups can sometimes be shoved to the side and when the problems are brought up they can be swept under the rug. That definitely needs to change. Aside from that, Duke is a great choice and I do not regret my decision to attend this school.

anonymous

00100011 01011001 01001111 01001100 01001111

Sujal

Duke is an amazing school full of motivated, interesting people. Everyone is incredibly involved on campus, from sports to student government to volunteering. While many may compare Duke to other high-caliber institutions, the sports and social culture sets it apart. The passion for Duke basketball (students live in a tent for two months in winter just to score tickets to the Duke-UNC game) brings the entire community together and creates a sense of belonging. People here are supportive and friendly instead of being cutthroat and competitive. There is truly an opportunity for everyone to thrive, and the professors and research opportunities are unparalleled. If you are choosing between Duke and another similarly ranked university, Duke is absolutely the way to go!

terria

i really wanna go there

Y

Duke is a great institution for sure, a place where you find balanced social and intellectual engagement and exploration. If there is one thing of Duke that is not at the top, it is the Durham location.

Jeremy

Its one of the greatest educations you could possibly attain. Professors teach you, so you have full comprehension of each and every lesson.

Frances

Duke is quite an interesting school-- I love the classes and professors and have had opportunities to travel and intern places I never thought I would. My professors have lit a fire under me and built my confidence. The doors my education will open up are undeniable. HOWEVER, I find the culture at Duke to be really obnoxious, centered around Greek life and drinking. It's exhausting sometimes, and I'm grateful that I have friends at UNC who can rescue me.

David

Duke is a school with a large enough population to have diverse groups of students. It has strong academics balanced with a strong party and sports culture. There are an incredible number of activities to get involved in as well as an amazing surrounding community.

Kate

A perfect combination of academically rigorous, extracurricularly plentiful and socially welcoming, Duke University is a culmination of some of the smartest kids who also love to party and be involved with the community. The university allows for a huge variety of student-led opportunity and initiative, as well as growth for existing programs and groups. Whoever you are, Duke probably has what you are looking for. However, because of the vast diversity in students and opportunities, Duke's flexible system unintentionally also allows for some separation between the unity of all students, and it's clear to see the different groups on campus. However, it's certain that almost every student is completely satisfied with their experience at Duke, and will stay active in the Duke family for years to come.

I believe Duke University in the place to be! The student body, the teachers, the academics, and more are what make Duke University the way it is today. Professors and other students are so open to helping and answering any questions we freshman may have. If it wasn't for Duke, I wouldn't have found my passion for Sociology and Anthropology.

Carrie

I had the time of my life as an undergraduate at Duke! My experience was well rounded: I participated in sporting events, art events, and engaged with speakers from a variety of disciplines. There was always something to do on campus, and the surrounding culture of Durham is up-and-coming, so it has a lot to offer as well. It was at Duke that I really truly learned to think more critically at a higher and deeper level. My professors challenged me academically, and interactions with fellow students were well rounded as well: we had intellectually stimulating conversations AND knew how to have a good, clean time. If it were realistic and I were given the chance, I would have stayed forever and never graduated!

Sofia

It's a great school with a balance of rigorous academics and great involvement in extra-curricular activities and sports. The location is beautiful and Duke does everything it can to make the experience positive and memorable for each of its students.

Mikayla

I LOVE Duke! I knew I wanted to go there the first time I set foot on campus. It is beautiful and the people are so inviting. Besides the amazing academics the environment is welcoming and a place I knew I wanted to be. The professors seem to really care about their students and make themselves available. 10/10 school

Jacob

Duke is a very extravagant University with many great academic programs, such as law school and the engineering school. Although perceived as a school where the upper class go to learn, there is a huge diversity of students from all different backgrounds. One thing that stands out is that these students are all for their basketball team. It is one of the most hostile environments in college sports and is quite a sight to see.

dakota

It sucks and I hate it

Al

Was fired from internship. I was fired from internship without cause. They told wrong fit and incorrect project idea. No meetings if I could improve or do differently. I tried my best for my project, but was feeling any directions I chose were not right. Again, no meetings, advices or help. I didn’t receive any official explanation what I did wrong exactly. I had more than several weeks to submit my project. Complaint department even didn’t send me an official conclusion what was wrong. I spent on such experience 7 K. Many people told me, I was fired because a coordinator hated me. In such fast, without respect and explanation, I was told to leave. My family lost their health thinking about me. Be careful with this organization. They don’t like people.

I hold Duke to very high standards. I do my best to call the administration out when they do some not so great things, but I also recognize all the good that Duke does for their students and all of the opportunities that are given to us. I love Duke University, but they still have lots of work to do. They need to listen to their students of color and the concerns they have and they need to be more proactive rather than reactive to incidents of hate on campus. But Duke also is the leading college in service learning, the amount of time and money that goes into some of the opportunities and programs that we have available to the students is incredible and should not be taken lightly. It is an immense privilege to attend Duke and I am at grateful to attend somewhere I feel comfortable and safe.

Mindy

I love Duke and everything about it. First, it's academics are obviously incredible, not only concentrated, but also various. Duke is a very well-rounded school, and its students demonstrate that. It is in a beautiful location in a beautiful city, which a lot of accessible resources both on and off campus.

Andres

Overall, Duke University always keened my interest for its combination of extracurricular activities and academic notoriety. It has a lot of school spirit, great food (For a college), and excellent academics. The reasonable weather and Souther Hospitality helps students feel welcome. Furthermore, the East Campus that is primarily focused for Freshmen to enter and get to know each other is an added plus. It is great.​

Kristen

The first time I stepped onto the campus, I was immediately mesmerized by the radiating beauty of the architecture. I joined a tour of the campus as well, and almost every student I spoke with seemed passionate about their major; in fact, Duke University bleeds passion. There seems to be so many opportunities for students, whether it's studying abroad or participating in internships. There are countless clubs and activities for students to join, whether it's sports or the arts or even robotics. And don't even get me started on the food. The selection at Duke University is so diverse, and the food that they serve is absolutely delicious. As a student in high school, Duke University is definitely one of my top dream schools, and I would be beyond ecstatic to be able to join such a passionate community full of motivated students (and the food, of course).

Jon

Duke is a phenomenal place. I've been fortunate enough to attend several excellent universities and Duke stands out because of the passion of its student body and the quality of its professors. Nearly everyone you encounter at Duke will be smart, well-adjusted and motivated.

Rohith

While my experiences at Duke University are relatively new, I can honestly express the fondness I have for the environment: both the campus and the people. The combination of which allow the school to maintain a significant level of intellectual vibrancy. The school maintains high standards of academia and etiquette. While this can appear to be forcefully integrative, the rules are actually designed to allow uniform standards in how we treat one another. Such policies are necessary in order to maintain an open level of honesty, respect, and a free exchange of ideas between students and faculty. As far as consideration for the people, the grade of student to faculty relationships are strong. The Fuqua School of Business promotes the idea of "Team Fuqua" an alternative to traditional thinking of leadership in business. The culture promotes closer ties between students, advisors, and professors when it comes to engaging in career and academic focus.

Jejr

lkkljjkjbjhgjhgjgjgjhgjhgjgjggjhgjhghjghggfjgffgfgfgfgfgfgfgfgfgfgfgfgfgfgfgfgfgfgfgffggffgfgfgfgfgfgfgfgfgfgfgfgfgfgfgfgfggffgfgfgfgfggffgfggffgfggffggffgfgfgfgfgfgfgfgfgfgfgfgfgfgfgfgfgfgfgfgfgfgfgfgfgfgfgfgfgfgfgfgfgfgfgfgfgfgfgfgfgfgfgfgfgfgfgfgfgfgfgfg

Symphony

I think that Duke University is a wonderful institution that provides its students with a plethora of opportunities and resources. Duke is a place where students can truly thrive and discover their true essence. Each and every student brings something unique to the campus and makes it that much more of an enriching experience for others.

Katherine

Duke is an amazing school! It has everything you could possibly want in a university experience from rigorous academics to a work hard play hard attitude and a tremendous school spirit that is unrivaled anywhere else! You can make Duke whatever you want it to be!

Brandy

I feel Duke is a top tier & University

Tolulope

Duke University has an amazing culture. Although I am a graduate student, I still feel part of the school spirit. It is an elite private school, with excellent education and opportunities. The sports spirit is very much alive with the blue devils (Let's go Duke!). Every year, graduate students get to camp out for 72 hours with little sleep but time of our lives, for a chance to win seasonal tickets for the Duke basketball games. Although the school is really expensive, I feel that it is worth it.

Tara

I love Duke University. I live about two hours away but I go there two to three times a month! The atmosphere there is great and everyone is nice and helpful. I am a high school student and I have a couple friends who attend Duke University and they love it too. Parking is very ample and very easy. I attend a lot of sporting events they are all astounding. Everyone is like a big family and I just love the atmosphere. Everything is clean and very nice. When walking in West and East campus, everything is perfect. I especially love the Duke Chapel.

Kirielle

?

Abigail

Duke is an incredible university. More than anything else, Duke students embody a sense of community and pride in our university. Our work hard, play hard mentality is very evident— a typical weekend for a Duke student involves a couple of hours in Perkins Library to grind out some homework, a rousing turnout in Cameron Indoor Stadium to support our basketball team, and an evening at Shooters, dancing the night away with friends and loved ones. Duke students are there for each other, always. Go Blue Devils!

Morgan

Duke is an incredible university. It has a multitude of opportunities and provides a safe space for students of every nationality, gender, sexual orientation, religion, and ethnic background. The food is easily the best provided by any college in the country. The mental health network is incredible and has been very accommodating to my health needs. The teachers are easily accessible and friendly. My only complaint would be that there are some people who feel that it is acceptable to hate on people who come from a very conservative background. People have very strong political opinions on campus, and I am in the minority when it comes to my own viewpoints. Other than this, Duke is the dream.

Erin

Duke is very competitive, and there are a lot of very intelligent people on campus, but people are very willing to help you out and there are resources to aid you in classes, mental health, etc. The campus is gorgeous and the food is pretty good too! There aren't many college bars around and Durham is not a college town, but there's the occasional thing to do off campus.

Isabella

Duke University has it all -- academics, athletics, and fun. The school spirit creates a sense of community that most colleges don't get, yet is crucial for the best college experience possible. Duke does not have a cut throat culture, since we are all connected by the blood. We bleed blue. Our love for our school is fueled by our love for our basketball team. Aside from sports, Duke has so many opportunities. With Bass Connections, Duke Engage, and more research positions than there are students, Duke University is the place to be if you want an elite and rigorous education with a fun and spirited environment. I recommend having a car at this University. Durham and the surrounding area near UNC is vibrant, but not having a car can make students feel trapped in the "Duke Bubble."

I loved the school thanks to the people and the intellectual conversations. The food and housing was better and more expansive than many other top schools. However, I would say I did not not feel safe all the time due to issue of race and gender and the school's seemingly lackadaisical response to those issues. Overall, it is an elite school and I learned so much about myself. I do not regret choosing this university but I wish administration would pay more attention to issues of mental health, and racial/sexual/gender discrimination.

Kymani

It’s a great school for those who want to enhance there learning and for those who want to go to the next level not academically but athletically

Gabrielle

Imagine you're on a bus, similar to public transit but a little nicer, and you finish going around a circle. Straight ahead is the Duke Chapel, and it looks exactly like what is on the brochure. The bus pulls up to the West Campus stop, and you hurry off the bus before the hoards of students trap you there. To the left are dorms, dining options, and beyond, the famous Cameron Indoor Stadium. To the right are classroom buildings, libraries, and the Duke Hospital. So many options, so much to do, so much to see. Depending on the time of day and period in the semester, students are either playing spike-ball on the quad or crying in various locations (see our bingo sheet). Duke is a place that prides itself on being the "best of both worlds," whether that is balancing frat parties and econ classes, building robots and being a Cameron Crazy, or living in Vondy and performing with DefMo, the choice is up to you.