Pittsburgh, PA
Duquesne University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Duquesne University

Academially based with a lot of possible organizations you could join.

Academially based with a lot of possible organizations you could join.

A great education and the knowledge and experience to create a great future for myself and go onto law school to get a great career and future.

Probably the professors. They are very friendly and willing to help you in whatever way you need.

Anna

College, for me, was a valuable learning experience, both personally and professionally. I needed to work during my three years at Duquesne University, so it was rewarding to see myself improve and expand my knowledge and experience in my profession. I was proud of myself because I knew my co-workers and superiors watched me grow and become a better person (again, both personally and professionally). One of the best experiences in college was that I was always being challenged - and that it was fair to challenge my fellow students and professors. This allowed me to receive and give better constructive criticism when needed. It was important for me to be a part of a learning team, so that I can be a better part of a working team.

Duquesne University is a small Catholic school, located on the outskirts of downtown Pittsburgh. The campus is beautiful and overlooks the city and surrounding areas. Because Duquesne is small, there is ample opportunity for the professors and faculty to know the students on a personal basis. Although this is a Catholic University, diversity is one of Duquesne's strongest characteristics. The diploma I carry is impressive to every prospective employer, because they know I earned a valuable education.

To be completely honest, it was very expensive. There are several worthy educational institutions in the Pittsburgh area that offer fantastic educations. Most of them are about half the cost of Duquesne.

Olivia

Duquesne cannot be described in words, let alone one sentence; the faculty, alumn, students and I myself are walking attestments to the University itself, a University unlike anyother grounded in education, morality, faith, reason, and a strong sense of self worth and pride, dedicated to hard work and those life experience that embody the self, that become the self, those things which cannot be explained in words but only in the character itself and the look of accomplishment and pride in the eyes of all who walk the campus of Duquesne University.

"Knowledge is Power"; a wise and familiar quote to us all, the implications of such a statement hold true for any college student. But what is knowledge? Is found in that which we obtain deep in study, in the pages of a book or the words of a lecture hall? Or perhaps it is something deeper, something that lies within the self, that which is found through experience and life itself? I would argue that it is a combination of both, and that one cannot exist without the other. It is true, scholastic aptitude and capability are measured in terms of how learned one is in various subjects of higher learning, but all that is obtain from a text book shall hold little meaning to he who is without passion, he who does not live, he who breathes with no experience, for all the knowledge in the world is wasted without wisdom, that which comes only from experience and life itself. My college experience founded that wisdom vital to knowedge, crucial to the power that lies within us all. I learned much of Sarte, Camus, Shakespeare, Calculus and Physics, but i learned more about myself than words can describe.

Duquesne University is not only one of the most highly and respected establishments of higher education in the world, but also one grounded upon the values of faith and reason. As students, we are expected to maintain quotas of unwavering academic integrity, discipline, determination and scholastic apptitude but also further develop as individuals. It is with self assurance, conviction and a strong sense of character that we learn to succeed in life, bettering ourselves through education and moral exploration at Duquesne. What we learn here is not found soley in books, but what lies within.

Nick

As of this moment I do not start untill June 2010. But I expect to get a wealth of knowledge and satisfaction from a higher education. Changing careers so late in life will be exciting to say the least. Going through all my life experiences has taught me that hard work and determination will get me through this transition in my life. Completing each college course through these next couple years will help me in my endevour to be a great nurse and help me help others. I'm hoping my college experience will lead me through this next chapter of my life. Kind of like being reborn and living another life. I can't wait.

Cecily

I would say the slogan "Mind, Body and Spirit" through the Roman Catholic Religious affiliation. Duquesne even has a campus in Rome, Italy.

Duquesne gave you big city living with a small school atmosphere so you were not overwhelmed at times. When on campus, you felt you were in your own world. When off campus, we had the advantages of professional sports teams, symphany orchestra, broadway, and museums for cultural entertainment. We also had shopping and dining hot spots all within about 20 minute commutes or even walking distances. Not to mention, top business for internships and side jobs while attending school.

What I have gotten out of my college experience is a great education. There are some great professors with real marketplace experience teaching you on current topics and keeping up with today's technology and real world advancements. I felt very prepared in my first job from experiences gained from my classes.

Timothy

Attending college at Duquesne University has allowed me to really discover what I want to do as a dream job. I came in with the idea of jobs that I knew I would not want to do, but through the campus experience of meeting people inside and outside of the classroom I developed a sense of purpose that ironically fits the Duquesne Motto: It is the Spirit Who Gives. I have never really had a profound urge to join a campus church group or even talk about religion in groups, but I think that by going to Duquesne I have discovered a spiritual facet of myself that could not have been discovered if I went another college. Duquesne's community emphasizes its mission statement from the minute you arrive on campus, and the more you hear it , the more you start to apply it to your own life. I think most people who invest the time, money, and effort in the past, present, and future come to the same realization of their spiritual character that I have come to acknowledge by attending Duquesne.

I wish I had known more about the International Relations Program and Political Science, but fortunately I ended up in the program anyways. The Political Science teachers are amazing and really intelligent. Half of them are Ivy League educated and have connections to people in the government that can help you get a job.

I usually address the stigma attached to the university, which is commonly called South Hills University based on the idea that most people that go to the college are from the Pittsburgh area. It's true that alot of people go here from Pittsburgh, but Duquesne is far from the 13th grade most people think it would be like. It's really easy to make friends for out of towners too, all you have to do is friend a local and your in.

Duquesne University is comprised of two different groups: Those concerned about their studies and work really hard and those who are here because they feel privledged and want to party and have a rich spouse.

They are arrogant, self absorbed, rude, and more concerned about their looks than anything else.

I would tell myself not to be with concerned about how much other percieve me and only how I percieve myself. I"m in college to get an education and to better myself, not to impress others.

Joseph

Duquesne is a geographical hidden treasure in a corner of Pittsburgh's uptown section but a university of diverse students who share a common goal of gaining a top quality education to prepare us for for our futue careers.

Being that Duquesne is located in a large city, there is a quaint smallness of this school that made me feel comfortable. Duquesne is a good fit for me me since I graduated from a small Catholic High School also in Pittsburgh. The two schools are similar in their values and mission.

The advice I would give to myself would be to trust in the decisions you make. In the time of choosing the right school and also making the transition from high school student to college student, many questions are asked. I would say to myself, "Have faith in yourself." At those moments, decisions seem life changing. They are really life learning. So much pressure and lost hours of sleep are put into making decisions. After experiencing the first semester of being in college, I wish and most other freshman would agree, that no matter what you choose to do or what school you get in to, the decisions you made were good ones. If they were not, learn from them. If I were to go back in time and talk to myself and other seniors it would be the same message, enjoy your last year in high school and do not worry so much about the decisions you make for your future years. They are all life lessons learned. Don't make decisions in haste or take them too lightly. Remember most of all, your parents really do know what they are talking about and have learned many life lessons.

Danielle

Duquesne University is education for the mind, heart, and spirit.

Duquesne University is education for the mind, heart, and spirit.

Duquesne is probably best known for our red ring

Dear2008 Self, I just wanted to write to you from the future about how your life is going to change in a few months. You will soon be entering the hardest, scariest, most exciting, most fun years of your life; your going to college! Now, since I know exactly how you are, I want to give you advice so this scary, hard place isn?t really that bad at all. First of all, be yourself. On those first days of orientation when you?re scared and don?t know anybody just smile and introduce yourself. If you stay true to who you are you will make some of the best friends you?ve ever had. Also, get involved. There are so many adventures and experiences out there waiting for you that you may never get the chance to experience again. Seize the day and enjoy every moment of it. Now the hard stuff, you need to manage your time! Do not procrastinate. Take time after each class and look over your notes. Trust me, it pays off amazingly! Lastly, choose a career that makes you happy. If you are happy and positive life is so much better. Good Luck!

Duquesne University is best known for it's volunteer work. Those familiar with Duquesne know it has a spectacular reputation and takes pride in its heavy commitment to volunteer work. Unlike other schools, Duquesne promotes student involvement in the community; the work we do with others helps build our character.

If I were able to go back and prep myself for college, I would definitely press one single point: do not be afraid to be quirky! My friends know, after getting to know me, that I am slightly crazy. I enjoy making situations comically awkward, love to make others laugh, have strange fascinations (with, oh I don't know, jellyfish, dinosaurs, ghosts, and anything scientific) and am fearless- I do not care if people judge me for the crazy things I do. I wish I would have known not to hold myself back in the beginning of the year. I was rather tentative with my actions, and I feel like that greatly took away from my personality. Eventually, I learned that my friends all have their own eccentric ways. If I were to come straight to college completely open and unafraid, I feel like I would not only felt more comfortable the first week, but also made more friends right off the bat. Showing your true colors from day one is something freshmen college students should fear, but embrace. I wish I could have the chance to tell myself this.

Duquesne is the right school for those who take great joy in helping others, are dedicated students, and have good time management skills. Although it is difficult to balance both volunteer activities and course work, students at Duquesne find a way to make sure they keep up on their studies while being involved in the community and other on-campus events.

Duquesne University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.