Pittsburgh, PA
Duquesne University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Duquesne University

Duquesne University is a small collaborative campus with a small student base which easily allows for academic support.

I would give myself the advise to incorporate myself into many more high level classes. My high school poorly prepared me for the atmosphere present at a University. College professors are much less interested in minor details such as hall passes, using the water fountain, what you are wearing, or whether or not you are eating in their presence. These professors are more interested in providingtheir students with important information; whether or not a student chooses to learn is their choice. Although I have always considered myself a proficient student in high school, college classes caught me off gaurd with higher intellectual expectations. Although I did expect college classes to me much tougher than high school classes, the amount of time my high school adminstration spent on formulating new dress codes, behavioral rules, and conduct rules, disracted me from more intellectually stimulating courses. Knowing how different college is from high school, I would advise myself to better prepare for a college enviorment, rather than forming familar routines with the high school enviorment.

I wish I had known the Catholic afflilation with the college, because such an affiliation directly affected the particular methods and regulations of the university.

L

First, I would like to bring to your attention the fact that some of your questions (specifically those with the 1 to 10 bar) came without an N/A option. Therefore, I was forced to give an opinion on some things, which are irrellavent to me and I could not answer with truth. Secondly, to myself, I would say good job.

The school is best known for its pharmacy program. It is also the only Spiritan Campus in the world, I believe.

If I were to go back into time, I would tell myself not to worry about the transition into college. As a high school senior I was worried about not being able to make friends because I hadn't made new friends in at least five years. I now know that everyone comes to school ready to make new friends. It's an easier transition than I could have ever imagined. I would also tell myself to not worry about the workload. The workload is not nearly as much as I expected when I was a high school senior. I was worried then that I would not be able to handle it because I had never really studied for any test in my life. But when you are thrown into the college situation you learn how to study. Studying is a major part of college and it is something that comes naturally, at least to me. College life definitely changes who you are as a person, but in a good way. There is no reason to worry about the transition because change is a part of life and growing and adapting comes easily.

The worst thing is the food. There is not much variety. We'll have tacos one day and mexican wraps the next, which is basically the same thing.

Angela

College is about two things: learning from books, and learning from life. It is about taking as many interesting classes and meeting as many people as possible. It is about studying to gain knowledge, not studying for a grade. Shadow people. Learn what they do. Find what you love. Explore possiblities. Take a music or art class every semester, don't just focus on math and science. It is so important to have a broad education, to be well read, and to be well spoken. Do a semester abroad where other Americans do not usually go. Learn about other people and their cultures. Learn who you are. Learn what makes you happy in life. Learn to be happy with yourself, by yourself. Learn to love yourself. If you learn to accept and love yourself, you will be non-judgemental and accepting of others, no matter how different they are. If you can learn to be happy and content in your own skin, you will not only lead a life fulfilled, but can make another person smile.

The Rollins School of Public Health at Emory is amazing. The professors have each contributed to the health of the world in profound ways. I've had lectures from the Czar of AIDS from the White House, the man who was the key player in eradicating small pox in Africa, and the man who wrote the policy to put folic acid in our every day foods. I have the opportunity to learn research techniques from the best in the field. I will have the opportunity to put my knowledge to use with one of these incredible people as my mentor.

I am now at Emory University earning my dual degree in Nursing and Public Health. I wish I had known how fast of a tract this program actually is. I am concerned, primarily because of finances, of the amount of information and the number of incredible classes that I will not be able to have. Earning both degrees in a span of 2 years seems like a long time at the beginning, but now in the heart of the program, I wish I had the finances to stay an extra semester.

It's important to realize that your entire life will revolve around school. Studying should be your main pritority, however, you may get distracted by friends or drama. So, learn how to use your time for the right things. College is hard. You need to study everyday for long periods of time. It is necessary to understand that once you live in a dorm, you can't leave your problems. If you're having an issue with someone, figure out how to fix it like an adult because you will be living with or near that person for a while. It is best if you just try to get along with everyone from the very beginning. College is the first step into becoming an adult and so it's improtant to learn to be one.

Duquesne University does not do much to supply any sort of transportation around the city of Pittsburgh. Every other school in the city supplies its students with bus passes that are included in the cost of the tuition. Duquesne has what is called the "loop bus." It takes the students to a total of three places and is not big enough for the students on go out on friday and saturday night which are the only time it runs. This means the students have to pay everytime they get on the bus during the week/day which gets costly.

Duquesne University prides itself on having hardworking students and a tough curriculum. Anyone considering Duquesne should be prepare to work extremely hard to earn well deserved grades. This difficult curriculum prepares the students for their chosen career what ever it may be. Another aspect that Duquesne students possess is that they are volunteers and serve others. Many service opportunities are offered to help the students to help others in the community. There are many opportunities for any kind of student as long as they are willing to work.

Mary

The transition into college will happen at some point, but it takes patience and time. Although it is hard to balance schoolwork and the want to make new friends, it is possible. Schoolwork requires A LOT of time management, but achieving your goals is even more rewarding knowing how hard you have worked for them. It is easy to make a lot of friends once you get involved, but it's more essential to make strong, dependable friendships. These are the ones that will get you through the hardships of college. Many people believe that when at college schoolwork should come first. I agree with that statement, however, I have never turned away a friend in need if I was too "busy" with schoolwork. I have found this more rewarding than any goal that I have attained. In giving it is that we receive. College is what you make out of it and it is worth your time to get the most out of the experience.

Someone who is looking to slack off, break the rules, be reckless and antisocial should not attend Duquesne University.

The people on Duquesne's campus are some of the most intellectual, but caring people I've ever encountered. We hold doors for each other, we study together, we help each other. There is a very strong sense of community here, but there is enough diversity for any student.

It's a smaller school so everyone gets an opportunity to make some really close friends that they will have for a lifetime. Also this school has many different schools within the university so there is a lot to choose from academically based.

I would have told myself to focus more on what I wanted to do with my life and how I wanted to start developing my career and life for the future. I would have told myself to really look at how to change myself and and open up to people and allow myself to make friends and really show my intellectual talents in the classroom. I also would have told myself to not be afraid to raise my hand and class and be open to making mistakes because everyone does, so it shouldn't matter if you allow yourself to become vulnerable inside and outside of the classroom.

What I wanted to major in so I could have had more time taking classes that would further my knowledge in that field as a freshman.

James

Duquesne is tucked away within downtown Pittsburgh; sometimes, while on-campus, I forget that I'm in the city at all. Duquesne provides the excitement and convenience associated with city living while also offering the safety and serenity of a more rural campus. Of course, that's not true all of the time. Trains and helicopters and low-flying planes are often issues, but as far as large crowds and labyrinthine traffic jams are concerned, a Duquesne student hardly has to worry about them. It's an urban campus with a beautiful, tranquil atmosphere.

To put it simply, I would recommend that parents and students alike leave a little room for uncertainty. College is a time of exploration, where a student can find him or herself and truly learn where their strengths and interests lie. To expect to have all of that figured out as a graduating senior in high school is unrealistic. Students change their minors and majors all the time; transfers between universities are commonplace. I feel that a studen trying to fit him or herself into a certain academic or athletic mold right at the outset is being counter-productive, as that student shuts out other possibilities that would be open to a student who was less "certain" about what they wanted. The most important question students can ask themselves when selecting a college is, "Is this a place where I can grow intellectually? Spiritually? Is this a place where I think I can find out who I am?" Then, if they keep their eyes and minds open, possibilities that capture their passions and their interests will appear before them, and, in time, their future will fall into place before their eyes.

Anyone looking to study visual art as a primary academic path. Duquesne has a prestigious music school and a diverse liberal arts program; the auditory and literary arts are well-covered. Visual art - painting, sculpting, et cetera - is vastly underrepresented. I cannot name one class from the catalog that focuses on the creation of visual art. Art history, yes; art production, no. However, artists who work their craft in their spare time as a hobby will find that there is more than one way to showcase their work on campus.

Kerri

My classmates in my major are a very small, close-knit group, from very diverse backgrounds. We tend to be a little "strange", since we're music majors, but that just makes it easier to be creative, learn a lot, and have fun!

Listen. Listen to yourself, listen to your parents, listen to your guidance counselors, listen to your academic advisors. Find a trusted adult non-family member you can talk to about your college decision; then listen to his/her advice. Once you have listened, then you must internalize and sort through all the advice, carefully considering everything, and then decide what you, yourself, want to do. Do not become anxious or distressed; that can destroy your ability to think clearly. Choosing a college decision is important, but it's not the most important choice. It's a means to an end -- and the end is becoming more fully the person you're meant to be.

I would not recommend Duquesne for you if you don't intend to work hard, study, and enjoy doing so. The more effort you put into your education here, the more you'll get out of it, the more you'll get along with your professors, and the better you will get along with other like-minded students.

Kelsey

The biggest advice I would give would be to visit all of the schools you are choosing between. Most students get to the school they think is going to be perfect for them and find out that they are unhappy with the area in which it is located or the lack of things there are to do. Social life is a big aspect of college, without it, all college would be is a more stressful expansion of high school. The students who get "the experience of a lifetime" in college are ones who not only focus on their studies, but time-manage with friends, sports, clubs, and other activities. It is important to succeed in life by being very goal-oriented in college, but it is also a time to still live your life before becoming a true adult and facing the "real world."

The school sent home a lot of information about the school before the school-year began and what was to be expected, so I would have to say there is nothing I wish I could have known.

The social life is exciting. Living in the city brings a lot of opportunities for free-time. Also, the school is on a hill that separates itself from the city, so it is very close yet the area nearest us seems very relaxed and not busy like most city life.

Duquesne University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.