Pittsburgh, PA
Duquesne University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Duquesne University

Jenny

Duquesne - Located in the city, but not! You have all of the great aspects of living within Pittsburgh, but yet have the comfort of an amazing campus. Attractions are close and easy to get to, whether it be the movies, shopping, dining, or bar hopping. It's not too big and not too small. It's the perfect mix for someone who does not want to be swallowed in a huge campus, but yet for someone who wants to escape the smaller numbers of high school. Major renovations are being done to make the campus even better. If I had to do it all over again, I'd pick Duquesne without hesitation!

The student body...I'd have to say that the majority of Duquesne is very positive, caring, and enthusiastic.

Academics...well for science it is challenging, but the professors are always more than willing to help. Private and group tutors are available for free and are extremely beneficial! The professors work hard to make sure you are actually learning and you can tell that (most of them!) really do care. At the end of the year, every student participates in an exit interview to bash classes that are a waste of time and those that should be introduced/changed. Therefore the curriculum is always being updated to best fit students' career paths. I strongly suggest taking any classes taught by Dr. Becky Morrow - she is fantastic, dedicated, and cares more about her students/people in general than anyone I have ever met! Dr. Ludvico is also another great professor that is worth mentioning, along with Dr. McCormick and Dr. Castric. The classes are tough, but do-able if you put in the time needed. You may have weekends that leave little time for play, but it is still possible to get A's and have a life as long as you are disciplined! Except maybe for junior year...beware! Duquesne is a huuuge leap from high school. Think you can do well studying the night before an exam??? WRONG! But like I said, it is do-able and the professors as well as study body are very academically motivating.

The Greek life seems to be a huge popularity contest. Every frat or sorority comes with a stereotype (all of which just came to your mind are correct). I'll just leave it at that. All other organizations or activities are very open to the public - meaning that being part of the drama club does not equal uncool. Stereotypes exist in college, but the line between cool/uncool seems to disappear.

That many Duquesne girls can be...easy, for lack of a better word.

Duquesne is the perfect size, I think. Everywhere I go I see someone I know, but I always meet new people and see new faces, too. Campus is beautiful and small, but there are lots of places to hang out and people around. Pittsburgh is a great college town, although being "right downtown" is really overrated. I wouldn't trade our actual campus for a better location, though; I love the campus and isolation, and yet that you can still see city buildings past the landscaped lawns and trees. People in Pittsburgh react positively when I tell them I go to Duquesne. People from home, around Philadelphia, usually don't know what I'm talking about, though.

Duquesne students do tend to "dress up" for class. Girls look cute despite the gross weather, and wear heels despite all the hills. It's not uncommon to see people in sweatpants, though. Athletes and students from other countries tend to sit together, but people mostly just sit with their friends at the dining halls. There are lots of small tables and different places to eat.

Many students are Catholic because Duquesne is a Catholic school, but a lot belong to other sects of Christianity, are Jewish, other religions, or nonreligious. We have a high commuter population and Duquesne is very well-respected in Pittsburgh, so a lot of students are from the Pittsburgh area, but there are students from around the country and international students, although sometimes it feels like everyone is from Pittsburgh. Duquesne is a private school and a lot of students do come from wealthy backgrounds, but with financial aid, there are plenty of people from diverse economic backgrounds like myself.

Academics vary greatly depending on your major, I think. Some programs are highly respected, others are not as academically demanding. I am under the impression that pharmacy, nursing, and education are really good programs. Class sizes are generally small and even science lectures are small compared to other schools. For example, I had a physics class of around 100 students freshman year. Most of my other classes are around 20-30 students, and smaller for my Honors College classes and the professional preparation classes for the School of Education. I have a love/hate relationship with the School of Education. Everyone's experiences vary greatly, depending on a person's class year, specific major, professors that you get, and even the semester that you take specific courses/blocks. There are a few of the best professors I have ever had within my program. My favorite class was Educational Psychology, even though it required up to 40 page papers and tons of work. I still keep in touch with the teacher I had for that class 2 years ago.

Student Government is fairly popular but you will find it is dominated by the same group of people, but it's really not that important. Fraternities and sororities are pretty prevalent, but I would never feel out of place not being in one. You notice their presence and they have parties and you see people wearing letters, but it's not really a big deal. The theater companies are small, but they put on good shows and people support their friends and watch them. I think a lot of people leave their dorm doors open, although they always advise us not to. My neighbors in my on campus apartment building always left their doors unlocked, and though we just met each other that year, we walked into each other's apartments all the time. I met my closest friends from living on their floor freshman year or through class. I am always up at 2am, I feel like. Usually studying on a weeknight, or if I don't have as much to do that day, chatting with friends, dancing around, or watching movies. People party a lot freshman year I feel like and then again once they turn 21. You pretty much have to go off campus to party, and Duquesne "owns" the nearby Southside. On campus, some people take advantage of the Nightspot which offers programs on the weekends, but I almost never go there. Occassionally I'll go when they show a good movie and get free popcorn with friends.

Everyone is Catholic, everyone is from Pittsburgh, everyone is rich.

Daniel

Duquesne is a school of overpriveledged rich kids who are oblivious to the outside world and secluded from reality.

The student body consists of soulless and oblivious alcoholics.

Although any education can be defined by the effort put into it, Duquesne does not provide a well rounded nor creatively inspired education. It is biased towards the Catholic Church and deprives students of the creative learning that educational institutions ought to be striving towards.

The greek life on campus is pathetic and the sports programs are inadequate and not entertaining.

Julie

The school size is nice. You get to know your teachers and they get to know you. It is nice because it is in the city and there are a lot of things to do nearby. The administration sucks. The student accounts office is the worst. They always mess up your account and put holds on your account and they never manage to fix things. There is a lot of school pride mostly because of the frats and sororities.

Duquesne is mostly rich white students. They come from very wealthy backgrounds. The girls dress up for class in skirts and hills. They have their hair done. Boys also try to look good for school.

Overall I did not like my experience at Duquesne. Most of the professors were rude and they talked down to you and did not want to be bothered with undergrad students. Some professor s do not even make new tests from year to year and therefore the frats and sororities do well because they have the previous tests. It is very unfair. The frat and sorority scene was overwhelming. The student accounts office is very rude and always messes up your financial account and then does not want to help you to make it right. No one knows where to guide you in the right direction if you have a question. If they do it is few and far between.

Yes this is true if you are not looking to be in either one of those do not come to Duquesne because that is what it is about.

The biology department is ok. There are not a lot of classes offered and so you will not get to take all of the classes that you want to take and there are only a few professors so if you do not like a professor more and likely you will have them again. Students are competitive. Class participation is required for core classes but for the biology classes most do not make class attendance a requirement. Duquesne is not very helpful and helping you get a job when you are done and it is very hard to get a professor to write a letter of recommendation in a timely manner.

Freshman year students did leave their doors open but that does not happen as much as you progress through the years. Most people move off campus after sophomore year. People party a lot. Most of it does not happen on campus but rather at Pitt or on the South Side. Frats and sororities are very important and they make up most of the school.

Most people are in a frat or sorority and they have previous tests and labs.

Blake

For me, Duquesne is one of the most unique universities. It's medium range regarding size so there are so many activities to do all the time like any other big university, but the majority of classes are very small so you get all of the personal attention that you would want from a smaller school. Also, since it is based in liberal arts, everyone is required to take a certain amount of classes outside of their major. It may sound stupid at first since you don't "need" them for your future career, but some of my favorite classes have been the ones outside my major because they're so different than what I would normally be learning. Duquesne is also unique because it's in the city, but you would never know it walking around campus. It's very secluded from the bussle of city life and is filled with green spaces and beautiful fountains. It's truly an amazing campus to view at any point in the year. Its seclusion also makes it a very safe campus, which helps parents when they worrying about their children going to school in a city. On the other hand, you are only blocks away from anything you would want to go to in a city: shopping, plays, concerts, etc.

The students at Duquesne are very diverse, especially considering it is a Catholic university. There are students of all races, ethnicities, religions, socio-economic statuses, sexual orientations, etc. You are never made to feel like you don't belong. For instance, I'm not Catholic and I've never felt like I should be or that I don't belong because I'm not. Most people are very open-minded. However, there are a decent amount of Catholics, and Christians in general. Also, many people tend to be more conservative. But there are a fair share of more liberal people, like myself, who make sure that we are heard on campus as well. I have never encountered problems relating to that even through election times. There are many students that live close by and a large amount commute, but then we have people from all over the country and the rest of the world, too. It's really a mixed group of people.

The only problem I've ever really had with Duquesne is the financial aid department. Basically, they're morons. They never seem to get anything right. I've heard this is a problem at other colleges, too, so maybe that's just a general thing. Just make sure that you stay on top of the financial stuff because they will try to screw you if they can.

Not really. There are a fair share of wealthy students that drive mercedes and only wear Coach or Gucci merchandise but that is certainly not the majority. Most people (like me) have worked their butts off for scholarships and have taken out loans to go to Duquesne so they do not take their education lightly. Everyone is very dedicated to working hard and getting the most out of their time at Duquesne.

I have had the most fantastic professors at Duquesne. Each and every one of them know your name and care how well you learn the information. They also love what they're teaching so they are more than enthusiastic which definitely helps, especially in the early classes. You'll have a bad professor here or there, I suppose, like every other school, but I never had one in my years there. They are also very open to speaking with you outside of class. They love when you come to their office hours with a question or just to talk about something that's going on in the class. The entire university simply wants you to learn. They want you to get a good job, too, but they realize there's much more to education than that. As far as the Psychology department goes, it is one of the only human-science undergraduate departments in the country. It focuses more on understanding the meanings people make in their lives as opposed to doing experiments in labs, which tend to be very far from understanding actual life. Our department professors are nationally renowned in their field and know more than anyone could ever hope to. They are truly amazing people. If you're looking for a unique spin on the traditional scientific psychology, Duquesne is the place to be.

Greek Life is very popular at Duquesne. I'm not sure what the exact number is but I think it's about 85% of the students are in a Sorority or Fraternity. But there are professional (by major or school) and social sororities and fraternities in addition to the traditional social ones which gives people a lot more options. There are also plenty of other acitivites to get involved in as well. Volunteering is HUGE at Duquesne. Every student is encouraged to give back to the community and most people do. There are an unlimited number of opportunities given its location in the city of Pittsburgh. Some of my favoritie memories at Duquesne involve volunteering. Partying is something that most people assume happens at all colleges. Duquesne is no different. There are definitely parties all the time if that's what you're into. But there's plenty of other things to do as well. I'm was never much of a partier but I never ran out of things to do on the weekends and still had fun. There are so many great places in the city and its not hard to catch a bus or the "T" (our metro system) if you want to go somewhere a little farther away. It would take me all day to list all of the other things you can do, but trust me, you won't have trouble finding something to amuse you .

A common stereotype is that all Duquesne students are rich and "snobby." I have never really heard any bad things about the school itself (other than the high price being a private school and all) so I'm not sure if there are any stereotypes about the university.

Marie

I love Duquesne and coming here was the best decision I have ever made. My favorite things at Duquesne are the small inner-city campus without the busy city feel. The campus is beautiful with tons of fountains, brick roads and grassy areas for laying out when its warm. I love Pittsburgh too and there are a ton of colleges here as well. University of Pittsburgh and CMU are both about 6 minutes away from Duquesne's campus. Duquesne is located downtown near everything you would need in walking distance. Pittsburgh is full of beautiful water and the Springs are amazing. I love Duquesne's size because it is big enough to meet a wide variety of people but small enough to see someone you know wherever you go on campus. It is also very easy to get to know people within your major because a lot of the programs keep low numbers purposely, like mine. Duquesne staff is friendly and knowledgeable about everything. There is a lot of school pride, but the sports pride isn't as big as it should be, but as the Basketball program is getting better the pride is getting better as well. My favorite thing at Duquesne is Greek Life. It is not stereotypical at all and is very community service-oriented. I have met hundreds of people through Greek Life and it is such a loving environment. Its very easy to get involved at Duquesne which is amazing because it makes you a well-rounded individual and helps you meet people easily. It is sometimes difficult to make friends at Duquesne in the beginning so make yourself as busy as possible. I would advise against Honors College housing as a Freshman, because it secluded me from other people and made it more difficult to meet people.

Duquesne is definitely not a very diverse place in many ways, but it isn't stiffling. The majority of students are caucasian of similar economic backgrounds, but there is some diversity. Politics are not very big at Duquesne as it is a more conservative and religious atmosphere. However, do not let that deter you- I am very liberal and non-religious and it is not an issue at all. People are fairly diverse once you get to know them, but I would say more people are conservative than not. Duquesne is very volunteer-oriented and everyone for the most part is extremely friendly. It is an amazing atmosphere- people always hold open doors for you and hold elevators as well.

The rules seem very strict at Duquesne on paper, but once arriving you find things are not written in stone. Duquesne likes to uphold a reputation to parents and others as a very classy and value-based University, which it is, but it is not stiffling. There's plenty to do, plenty of people who drink, some people that don't drink, etc.

To some extent, because there are a lot of fortunate people at Duquesne from PA and there are a lot of pretty girls but there are a lot of people that go to Duquesne because they recieved a lot of scholarship money or have a lot of loans, like me. There are a lot of average students as well.

I love my classes at Duquesne. I am a science major so my classes have always been very competitive but in a healthy manner. My general science classes as a freshman were pretty big- maybe 150 students, but since then my classes have been decreasing in size. My Science classes have become more specialized and classes are usually 20-35 students. Labs are very small as well with 20 or less students. I am in the Honors College and love the core classes as they are a little bit more challenging and interesting. My classes in the Honors college range from 8 students to about 25, with most around 17 students. If you are in the Honors College you get to schedule early and I have always gotten the classes I wanted! I took Race Relations in America this semester which is probably the most unique class I personally have taken. I am a Forensic Science major and my program is very specialized and most classes are chosen for you. Duquesne's Science programs are amazing and I am graduating in 5 years with an undergraduate degree in Biochemistry with a minor in Biology and a Masters in Forensic Science and Law. Duquesne has very specialized programs that are competitive to get into and competitive once you make it in as well. 50% of my major has dropped out of the program, but Forensics is an extreme instance because it has becoming more difficult in order to stay among the top schools. Everyone I know at Duquesne loves their programs or if they don't they find one which they love! It is common for people to change their major in college in general and Duquesne makes it fairly easy, most people still graduate on time. I have met very intelligent people at Duquesne, but there are people that don't have very intelligent conversations outside of class as well. Duquesne as a whole has fair academic requirements with a pretty high acceptance rate, but individual programs vary and are more difficult. For example, many programs require students to keep at 3.0 GPA. Dean's List is 3.5 GPA here as well.

Greek Life at Duquesne is smaller than other campuses but it is an amazing place to meet friends. Currently there are 7 sororities and 8 fraternities on campus, and it is easy to find a place where you fit in because they are all very different. I have been on the dance team for 4 years and we cheer for Basketball games. The basketball games during the week are getting to be very popular and its a lot of fun. There are constantly comedians, movies shown, speakers, etc. on campus which are very popular. People at Duquesne like being involved and busy. Many people date other people at Duquesne-- many of my friends have boyfriends and girlfriends. People within Greek Life usually date each other as well. However, not everyone is taken obviously. The partying at Duquesne is definitely not crazy but it does exist. Sometimes people who are sophomores and not yet 21 complain about things not happening on weekends but Greek Life is a great way to fix that! Also, when you do turn 21, Pittsburgh has the most bars on one street out of any city in the US! The bar scene is definitely crazy here. Also, if people at Duquesne do not have parties, there's always parties at Pitt or at CMU, though I don't personally like them. Many people do because they have much larger campuses and large fraternity parties.

Some people think that all Duquesne students are rich and that the girls are all blonde and ditzy.

Natalie

I love how it's in the city, yet not really. There are many places to go on weekends like the South Side Works for shopping and Station Square for a nice dinner; and yet it is out of the 'city atmosphere'. Also I love how the most I ever have to walk to a class is about 10 minutes. The campus buildings are all a nice short distance from eachother, no waking up hours before class just to walk there. I think greek life is really overrated. They act like they own the campus sometimes and like they are the only organization at Duquesne. I think other organizations should be recognized more, especially the ones who help others.

'Punkish' Skateboarders would at fit in at Duquesne. We have mostly preps. I think I've counted about 4 total 'emo, punk, piercing faced' people on the whole campus. Duquesne overall is filled with nice dressed and looking people. We care about our appearance. Some wear sweatpants and a t-shirt to class everyday yet others look nice. No one judges. Most Duquesne students are from PA, yet i have met many foreigners who come here fr our pharmacy program since it is very highly ranked.

It's very expensive, but definately worth every penny!

No, many of the athletes are on scholarship and alot of my friends get their tuition paid for if their family member works for Duquesne or a connecting branch of Duquesne.

Nursing is very tough and clinicals are long. It's definately worth it though to know your career will be helping people each day. While most majors have courses that are 3 credits and 3 hours a week, our clinical courses are about 20 hours a week, only 2 credits and you earn either a pass or fail (which means it does nothing to hel boost your GPA). The students are all very competitive and intelligent. Many will fight till the end to earn that one extra point. I think that makes the students Duquesne look very determined and I am pround to be a student here. Most professors give about 5% for student participation toward your overall grade. So since most of the coure classes have about 25 people or so, the professor will know who participates and who doesnt. The professors are all very nice and most will offer to help you outside of class. Most even give you there phone number and you always have their email address.

Greek life is very popular (yet over rated). In my opinion, paying money to have friends is ridiculous. There are many things to do that don't involve drinking, yet many still feel it is necessary (like most college students). Our football team is pretty good but not many people go to the games. Our baseball team this year is the best it's ever been and are some of the nicest, most intelligent guys at Duquesne. There are two 'loop buses'. One goes to the Waterfront which has a great movie theater and TONS of stores. The other goes to the South Side works which has sopping and the cheesecake factory, it's just smaller. These buses are free to students on friday and saturday nights from 7-3am.

Since it's so expensive, that all the students come from wealthy families.

Duquesne is in a great location - right in downtown pittsburgh, but up on the "bluff" so the actual campus is similar to a "small town' campus. It is great because Duquesne is in walking distance to Station Square and Southside, so there are always places to go! For the most past classes are small sizes other than the few freshman/soph. year science core classes. Duquesne is a good size school. There are many different places to eat on campus, but unfortunately meal plans are waaay overpriced, and required for all people living in dorms. Duquesne's president is all about the athletics...which can be very irritating. This past year the marching band was cut because the athletic dept. wanted to create a "pep band mentality"...whatever that is supposed to be?!? I would say there really isn't a huge amount of school pride unless the basketball team is doing well...I was in the marching band and pep band for football and basketball games, and my freshman year the basketball team was not very good, and the stands were always very empty! Despite these few bad things, Duquesne is a nice school, it would just be better if we could get some different people in the high positions on campus!

Duquesne is a Catholic university, and that is a large part of its mission statement, however if you are not catholic you won't feel out of place. Duquesne also brings students over from many other countries, but the majority of the student body is from the east coast, and many students are local. Because of this campus can get pretty boring on the weekends and downtown dies on the weekends as well, but you can always go down to the waterfront or southside to find things to do! Students where a large variety of clothing to class, from sweats to jeans to nicer, dressy outfits...

If you want a good education and don't mind a relatively small campus with a president who cares solely about athletics (particularly football and male basketball) then Duquesne is a good school to look at!

there are many pretty girls and many students with wealthy families, but there are also many that don't fall into these categories...

Duquesne's academics are for the most part pretty good. Most of the professors seem to really want to be here and truly have the student's interests at heart. One thing that can be frustrating is the large number of core courses required of students...some of which can get very redundant! But with that aside, Duquesne has a very good reputation, particularly in this area, and students rarely have trouble getting jobs once they graduate. As for studying, it really depends on majors. The liberal arts majors, in my opinion, are not difficult to get through. The toughest are definitely pharmacy and health sciences, and students need to study to get through those schools!

Duquesne is NOT a party school ON CAMPUS...there are many dorm rules, but there are plenty of places to go if you want to party...we are very close to Pitt, CMU, RMU, and southside. There are a lot of groups on campus, as well as sororities and fraternities. Duquesne does not have frat houses though. Sometimes Duquesne has guest speakers, comedians, hypnotists, etc come to campus.

good looking girls, students with wealthy families

Courtney

I don't think many people think about Duquesne because of the other bigger schools around (Pitt) but it is a perfect size, not too big not too small and you have all of Pittsburgh at your hands. There is really no school pride especially when it comes to sports. Even though it is a DI school.

Somewhat, i have met many people that are like this but also many people are very nice and would help you with anything.

Many majors your professors do know your name, but there are majors that you have to go and approach your professor at the same time. In the smaller classes there is a lot of class participation but that also depends on the professor. There are not too many unique classes but I didn't look into it because I am a pharmacy major and all of my classes are chosen for me. The pharmacy department and especially the teachers after your first two years really want to help you succeed.

That they are all rich and snoby.

Duquesne University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.