Pittsburgh, PA
Duquesne University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Duquesne University

Andrea

I love it here. You have the city, but yet a quiet beautiful campus to come back to. It is great to have other universities (Pitt, CMU, Carlow, Chatham) around, it gives you more to do. I think the size of the college is great. I came from a large high school and I had no problem adjusting to being here. I get a lot of good feedback and pride when I tell people that I attend Duquesne. It has a great reputation, and there will be someone who knows Duquesne everywhere you go.

The campus can be a little close minded when it comes to GLTB issues. We do have a Gay-Straight Alliance but it really isn't recognized. I understand this is a catholic university, but times have changed. This campus has an interesting range of dress. There are people in sweats every day and there are the people wearing Gucci and Prada. So dress how you dress and there will be people to match you. Also, most students are from around the Pittsburgh area.

I really do like this university. I think it is overpriced and I complain about it, but I know my education will be well worth all of the loans I will have to pay. I have had so much fun the past 3 years and I wouldn't trade it for anything. I have met my best friends on this campus! I had other school choices, but I am glad I went with Duquesne.

These stereotypes are inaccurate for the most part. A majority of the students are not like that, but there are some that are. It is like that with any stereotype of any group of people.

The professors here are great. Most of them really love being here and teaching the students. There is a class for everyone and I think we have a diverse range of classes. Its great to participate in class and the professors really appreciate people that do. I think that Duquesne prepares its students for their future careers and their fields of work.

Basketball games are big events and draw large crowds. All the student organizations usually put on some sort of event annually. The girls outnumber the boys on this campus, so the odds are better for the guys. But Pitt and CMU are not far away!! If it is a weekend there is bound to be a party somewhere, or just ask around. For those that don't drink there are things to do as well and some under 21 clubs and what not in the city.

Duquesne students are stuck-up, rich kids that have nothing better to do than blow their parents' money.

Brian

Duquense University is a small campus that is bigger than any high school out there in populous , but is no where close to as big as a Pitt or a Penn State. The size is small enough to run into many people you know on the way to class, but big enough where you do not know everyone who goes to school there. Duquesne sits right next to downtown Pittsburgh. It is a five minute walk to the heart of downtown and a ten minute walk to southside, which is where most of the partying is found. Biggest controversy is parking. If you park you car on campus without a permit for more than 5 minutes you will get a ticket. It seems as though all Duquesne police do is ticket cars.

I feel that Duquese greatly lacks in diversity, both ethnic and religious. Economic wise you will find a range of every type of person. The majority of student are middle to upper class. Duquesne is diverse if you come from a high school that had no diversity. However, if your high school did have diversity, Duquesne comes off as a white Christian University. I have rarely found anyone who is not Christian. Politically, students are pretty 50-50. Though, you rarely find people who are passionate about politics.

The student population does tend to be leaning toward the higher end of the economy, however I do not feel that the majority of those individuals are cocky about it. I think the girls are extremely attractive. Our basketball team is up and coming however outside of that there is not much interest in any other sports.

The number of students in your classroom rarely go over 30. If you are not in an auditorium you do tend to get some kind of relationship with your professor. Professor do enjoy class participation. Outside of class students usually talk like anyone else. There is rarely a awkward moment where you feel your are not smart enough to carry a convo with another individual.

There are not many events on campus that are popular to go to. Duquense Basketball is on the rise and I feel will soon pull in large crowds. Outside of them, I do not see much popularity anywhere else. I met all my closest friends freshmen year. They all lived on my floor in the dorm and we have stayed close ever since. The dating scene is a little difficult. The girls at duquesne are very attractive, however the majority seem to have steady boyfriends, usually from home. Most of the parties will be found on southside or in house near Mercy Hospital. I think there is a large populous of people that go to the Fraternities and sororities. However, the administration tends to barely support the greeks and houses for frats and sororities are not allowed.

That students are rich and cocky. That we have a very attractive student populous. Our sports are really bad.

alot of students complain about parking. Duq. is an inner city school (although you would never know it because most of the campus is green). But parking is limited and the Duq. police don't hesitate to give out tickets. Duq. is a smaller cozy campus. It's nice to walk down the sidewalk and see so many people you know and recognize.

Most students dress up for class. I never really did, but alot of the girls will bring their expensive bags, sunglasses, and shoes to class thinking they are in a modeling show. After sophomore year noone seems to care about what they wear anymore.

while, most students at Duq. come from wealthier families, most students are from working middle class. Duquesne has students from all over the country but most are local. Duquesne has high tuition because it's a private school, because of this people think the school only wants money.

I would say the competetiveness of students depends on the major. Some majors are more difficult than others and require stricter QPA to remain in the program. Obviously, students in these majors are more competetive with one another.

Since Duq. is near the city, it's easy to find things to do if you're over 21. You can walk or get a cab for cheap if your planning to go out. The college scene is great and Duq. is near to Pittsburgh University and 2 other colleges all within 15 minutes of each other.

all students are rich and from the pittsburgh area. People say Duquesne is just out to get money.

Amy

Duquesne has strong academic programs, but the grading curve is harsh in the sciences. It is a nice size -- some classes are large lectures, others are small. There's not a lot to do right near campus -- the bar and social scene is in Southside.

Generally students at Duquesne are from an upper-middle class background. Many are from the surrounding area, but there are people from throughout the country and world for programs in the health sciences and pharmacy. Students dress up for clas more so than at other schools -- no pajamas and sweatpants here -- be prepared to wear the latest looks from Express, Gap, American Eagle, and JCREW to class.

Yes for the most part, though there is a very small diversity -- most students at Duquesne are upper middle-class and white, and in fact most shop at JCrew.

Students tend to be friendly and helpful, but are competitive at the same time. Professors are very approcahable, and always willing to meet with students outside of class. Students talk about class in class and out of class -- study groups are common. There is a lot of free tutoring avaliable.

People at Duquesne are usually involved in on campus activites. Greek life is popular -- int he form of social or professional. Students Government and DPC also attract a lot of students. Duquesne kids aren't huge partiers during the week, and almost all partying is off campus. On the weekends students want to have fun.

Common stereotype is that Duquesne kids are rich, white kids. It looks like a jcrew ad walking around campus.

Alex

I loved that Duquesne was on the bluff overlooking the South Side. It's a BEAUTIFUL campus. Small, but nice. I liked that it was in the city even though Pittsburgh isn't much of a city. That's part of the reason I transferred. I liked that it was a small school. You know just about everyone in your major. The music school is great in that you learn SO much, but there were weeks at a time where my entire body ached of stress. That's another reason I left Duquesne. Of course in college you must work, but that's all I did for the most part. I practically felt guilty if I went out on a weekend night. Weekdays?! Forget about it. My friends didn't see me Monday-Thursday cause I worked literally every waking moment. One of the absolute best teachers I've ever had was Tom Kikta. If you can take a class from him, even if he doesn't teach your major, TAKE IT! He has the maximum knowledge about everything.

Emo kids would probably feel out of place at Duquesne. Coming from Long Island, the first thing I noticed was that there are no guidos and no emo kids. it was awesome! Most kids look nice going to class. I rarely saw pajamas. Most kids that go to Duquesne are in the area. I think I was the only person I knew from Long Island.

I do miss Duquesne. As much as people complain about the music school (myself included), when you leave you realize how much knowledge you have! They teach you stuff inside and out (with the exception of a bad teacher here and there). Best teachers--Tom Kikta, Amanda Ford, Dr. Tamar, Prof. Cutler. He just subbed for my class one time. I don't do well with being called on out of nowhere so it's a good thing I didn't have him. However, he knows a lot of information! If you're looking for a party school/cool city, you're in the wrong place. If that doesn't bother you, then try it out. I would suggest Duquesne to a lot of people. I had a great time there.

Professors know you by name and a lot of them have you call them by their first name. It's a very friendly environment overall. You pretty much CANNOT be absent for just about any class. My attendance in high school was so bad I was afraid I wouldn't graduate. My full year and a half at Duquesne, I missed like one of each class MAYBE each semester. Students are a little bit much for me. At the same time, I was in the music school...most people kind of have to be competitive. I wasn't a performance major though, so my goal wasn't to outdo someone else.

Throughout the week not too much goes on at all. Maybe I just didn't know cause I was locked in my room doing work. Weekends there are barely any parties except for Towers. Otherwise you have to go to South Side or Pitt. South Side is generally more personal feeling than Pitt. If you go to a Pitt party, you'll smell gross, and probably get your ass grabbed at the least. If you want to actually socialize verbally and have a good conversation, go to South Side. Duquesne in general is NOT a party school. You have to go out and find the parties or make your own fun. Another reason I left... What can you do on a Saturday night that doesn't involve drinking? They have a lovely arts and crafts area open to students who are ranging from 17-23!!!!!! It's really pathetic.

Duquesne University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.