Pittsburgh, PA
Duquesne University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Duquesne University

Duquesne University offers all the opportunities of living in a big city, but the campus has a small town feel to it.

I get along with all of my classmates and we provide support for each other; however, their are definite cliques and people tend to hang out with their friends only.

I would tell myself to get involved in all of the clubs and organizations right away, and to take advantage of any and all opportunities provided. Clubs and organizations are a great way to make friends who share common interests and to become more familiar with your school. I did not get very involved in school programs until my sophomore year, and I made a lot more friends, and got more out of my education the more involved I became. Also, opportunities do not last forever. I had the chance to go to Africa for a month out of the summer to study medicine in third world countries and then go on a safari. It was a costly trip and I put it off too long; the school no longer does that trip. Lastly, I would tell myself to never be afraid to ask for help. College classes are difficult and at times it can be very stressful. There are many resources here that can really help you transition from high school level work to college level work. There is nothing shameful about getting a tutor for a class or asking a teacher for extra help.

Victoria

Listen up! I’m only going to say this once: I’m you from the future. It’s a little freaky but deal with it. I can’t tell you what path you’re going to go down (it would interrupt this whole space-time paradox we have going on here), but I can tell you that if you just stick to your heart, love every second of your life and stop caring about what people think about you, in 2 years, you will be the happiest person you’ve ever had the pleasure of getting to know. Take a second to breathe, retreat and meditate because college’s fast pace changes your entire life. It flips things in perspectives you thought were nearly impossible – don’t worry, you’ll like whatever outcome it throws at you. Do what makes you happy and don’t let anyone stop you, not your family, not your friends – no one. Deep trusts will fail but in that dark shadow of betrayal, other relations shine brighter than before. Stay true to yourself; true ties will follow. Also, your girlfriends breaks up with you; deep down it's not true love. You find someone better.

Juliane

Duquesne offers a small town atmosphere in the middle of a large city. So, you feel comfortable walking around campus and get to know everyone fairly well, but you can walk a few blocks and attend a hockey game, concert, or other night life activities. There's so much to do here!

Dear High School Me, Dump your boyfriend. Save your money. Don't study on Fridays when the rest of your friends are going to the movies or a party downtown. Get to know your roommate, you may need her to be there for you one day. Be yourself and don't try to fit into a crowd that you don't belong--just focus on you! You only have four years to enjoy your life before the real-world will get in the way, so enjoy yourself. Some of the people you meet today will become your best friends. Just get out there and talk to someone! The next four years are going to go faster than you will ever be able to imagine. So, cherish every moment you have and remember: "If you aren't worth his time, then he isn't worth yours!" Good luck! Love, Me

How close it was to downtown Pittsburgh! I sometimes forgot where it was located simply because it feels so self-contained on the bluff.

Bethany

Duquesne's location is truly unique; it's a smaller school, but in a big-city environment. Students have easy access to theaters, concerts, sports arenas, shopping, and businesses.

I would remind myself to work harder when it came to applying for scholarships. Although my school is on the smaller side, it is still rather expensive and our financial aid office isn't the most helpful when looking for outside scholarships. Applying for scholarships in high school was quite a bit easier; while in college, you have to balance your schoolwork, your social life, and your job, which makes writing essays for scholarships hard to fit in.

I wish I would've known how financial aid works; Duquesne is expensive and while financial aid is helpful when answering questions, they are not helpful in helping students find outside resources to help pay for school.

Marissa

Be more out-going. There are going to be friends that come and go, so as long as you continue to meet new friends and seek new activities and clubs in order to make those friends, you will be OK. However, you don't need to drink to meet new people. In fact, drinking never produces good friends, so look else where. Also, don't spend so much money on honor societies! If they don't actually require service work, it's a waste of money unless you're just looking for word to put on your resume. But I don't recommend that because it doesn't make the most of your college career. Spend more time in activites that relate to your field and try to be the BEST THAT YOU CAN BE IN EVERYTHING THAT YOU DO. Sounds cliche, but when you are done you will wish that you tried a little harder and made a better impression. As they say in sports, leave it all on the field. Leave it all on the campus.

It goes fast, so don't wish it away! Also, in regards to joining honor societies, look for the ones that you can actually do stuff in. If there is no involvement, it's a waste of money.

This school is really flexible for any type of person. There were really a variety of people at this school.

The teachers at this school place a lot of importance on the students' success. They are very helpful to the students and are readily available. It is an urban campus but also has a "small town" feel, so you get the best of both worlds. Students make a lot of friends here because everyone is extremely nice and hoping to meet as many people as possible.

The advice I would give myself would be to not be so scared of the college atmosphere. It's hard knowing you're so far away from home, but all of the students are going through the same thing. I would tell myself to make sure to put myself out there and meet as many people as possible because you never know who's going to turn into your best friend. I would tell myself not to turn down opportunities. College is a time of change and transition into the real world, and it's important to try to get as much experience as possible, so you are the most ready for what's to come in life. I would make sure to stay focused on my studies and not fall behind, and just try to be as active as possible in the college environment because it will help in the long run. All in all, college is about finding out who you are and who you want to be, so don't be afraid to experience life.

Brittney

I always knew college would be different from high school, but I didn't realize how much of a transition it would be until I was finally there. Of course, the first advice I would give to myself is to never give up, even if everything seems impossible at that moment. Staying on top of your homework is another big one, along with attending every class session. From my experience, missing a day in college is like skipping four chapters in a book; so much can happen and you wouldn't even know it. If you're ever confused about something, don't just assume you'll figure it out on your own; go ask the professor for help. College isn't a social party; when you're in class, be sure to pay attention instead of texting or talking to the person next to you. The last thing would be to always be confident in what you're doing; thinking negative while studying or asking a question in class will only make your mind less likely to learn, because you're too busy thinking about how other people are judging you at that very moment.

Juliann

Duquesne is small in size. The teacher to student ratio is approximately 1:14 so the learning environment allows for you to have lots of one on one time with your professor. Many of the students on Duquesne's campus know each other and help each other out in times of struggle or if we just need to talk. Although there is not much diversity, we as a collective group of students do not see color and we are like a big family. Other schools that I considered were much larger & lacking the family atmosphere.

If I could go back in time and tell my high school senior self about what to expect in college I would begin with, "Julie don't stress yourself out so much." As a highschool senior I was both extremely anxious and stressed at the thought of attending college. I would also tell my highschool senior self, not to even attempt to take early morning classes. I don't understand why I am so lazy and zombie like when I get up in the morning for classes in college, but I was always energized when I had to wake up at 6 am to go to high school in the morning. Lastly I would tell my highschool self not to worry so much about how i am going to meet new people, just be myself and don't pack your entire life in 5 suitcases because lugging that junk from California to Pennsylvania each summer is a hard task and annoying.

Students who are capable of balancing their studies and extra curricular activities should atten Duquesne. We want a continuous growth of love, life, and enthusiasm on our campus. Those who are solely committed to their studies and are incapable of balancing our school life between having a life should not attend Duquesne. Those who will take pride in their school should definitely considered Duquesne because this is a school of spirit, literally and figuratively

Diondre

I have got a lot out of my college experience. First college has taught me to multi task because I have school work to do and also football to play. I have to manage my grades and sports which means I have to do well on and off the field. Second, college has taught me how to live on my own when my parents are not around. I learned how to wash clothes and cook some things. College has been valuable to attend because I get to further my education. Since I am going to college I will be the first person in my family to go to college. This means a lot to me and my family because I am starting something that for now on will be expected. My brothers and sisters are going to follow in my foot steps. This is what I got out of my college experience and why it has been valuable to attend.

The worst thing about my school is it is very strict about the rules. Which can be a good or bad thing because the rules protect the students and keeps all the bad people out. The rules also limits things that people do everyday which can be bad. Everywhere a student goes they have to sign in or sign in a guest. This is the worst thing about my school.

A person that is very hard working and likes to challenge his/herself. A person who likes meeting new people that are kind and nice. Also a person who wants a school big but not too big at the same time. A person who likes the feeling that they have not left home. This is the kind of person that should attend Duquesne University.

Nicholas

So far my college experience has provided me with valuable experience in that it makes me understand the importance and commitment necessary in life. What I mean by this is that by college most students, myself included, face the realization that they now are not only going to school but also taking out multi-thousand dollar loans to pay for that schooling, and there is no harsher reality than realizing you better start taking school serious because you have some real money to pay back. I think that is the reason it has been so valuable to attend becuase it takes a realization like that to make some people realize that your life in college is full of responsibility while also being one of those rare times in your adult life when you can try to have as much fun as possible.

Provides a small school environment while being a larger sized school. Also provides a city environment while also providing enough seclusion that you don't have to deal with the troubles of big city living.

Because the school is a catholic institution there are some rules and regulations that you won't find at public schools and you are required to take multiple theology courses.

Duquesne University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.