Duquesne University

« See more reviews of Duquesne University

I do miss Duquesne. As much as people complain about the music school (myself included), when you leave you realize how much knowledge you have! They teach you stuff inside and out (with the exception of a bad teacher here and there). Best teachers--Tom Kikta, Amanda Ford, Dr. Tamar, Prof. Cutler. He just subbed for my class one time. I don't do well with being called on out of nowhere so it's a good thing I didn't have him. However, he knows a lot of information! If you're looking for a party school/cool city, you're in the wrong place. If that doesn't bother you, then try it out. I would suggest Duquesne to a lot of people. I had a great time there.

Overall I did not like my experience at Duquesne. Most of the professors were rude and they talked down to you and did not want to be bothered with undergrad students. Some professor s do not even make new tests from year to year and therefore the frats and sororities do well because they have the previous tests. It is very unfair. The frat and sorority scene was overwhelming. The student accounts office is very rude and always messes up your financial account and then does not want to help you to make it right. No one knows where to guide you in the right direction if you have a question. If they do it is few and far between.

Duquesne is tucked away within downtown Pittsburgh; sometimes, while on-campus, I forget that I'm in the city at all. Duquesne provides the excitement and convenience associated with city living while also offering the safety and serenity of a more rural campus. Of course, that's not true all of the time. Trains and helicopters and low-flying planes are often issues, but as far as large crowds and labyrinthine traffic jams are concerned, a Duquesne student hardly has to worry about them. It's an urban campus with a beautiful, tranquil atmosphere.

Duquesne is small in size. The teacher to student ratio is approximately 1:14 so the learning environment allows for you to have lots of one on one time with your professor. Many of the students on Duquesne's campus know each other and help each other out in times of struggle or if we just need to talk. Although there is not much diversity, we as a collective group of students do not see color and we are like a big family. Other schools that I considered were much larger & lacking the family atmosphere.

Duquesne University was unique compared to other schools because of the campus. Because it is located in the switch from downtown to uptown Pittsburgh one might expect an urban campus that is not private or secluded. However once you are on the campus you tend to forget that just a few steps away are the busy city streets. The campus is gorgeous and very spacious for being in the city. Also it is within walking distance of the Consol Energy Center for Penguins fans, downtown, and the Southside.

Duquesne gave you big city living with a small school atmosphere so you were not overwhelmed at times. When on campus, you felt you were in your own world. When off campus, we had the advantages of professional sports teams, symphany orchestra, broadway, and museums for cultural entertainment. We also had shopping and dining hot spots all within about 20 minute commutes or even walking distances. Not to mention, top business for internships and side jobs while attending school.

When I chose to go to Duquesne, I chose it because of the size of the school. The classes were intimate and you could get the help when you needed it. I would have to feel bogged down by walking into a lecture hall that had 500 kids in it. I also enjoyed the fact that I would be continuing with my education at a Catholic college. I have attended Catholic school my entire life and it was important to me to continue to enhance my faith.

One nice thing about my college is the location. The school it self is quiet and pretty but as soon as you step off campus you are in downtown Pittsburgh with lots of different things to do. The teachers ask alot of their students but they also want you to succeed and are available to help you do so. It is a very tight-knit atmosphere which can be nice because you become very close with friends you meet here.

The location of the school is perfect and like no other college. Duquesene is located on a bluff that looks over the city. Students can go to the city or the neighboring area southside to hang out. The professors are very hands on and actually get to know the students. The school has excellent programs for students that focus from the start of freshman year directly on the major.

The teachers at this school place a lot of importance on the students' success. They are very helpful to the students and are readily available. It is an urban campus but also has a "small town" feel, so you get the best of both worlds. Students make a lot of friends here because everyone is extremely nice and hoping to meet as many people as possible.