Duquesne University

« See more reviews of Duquesne University

I love my classes at Duquesne. I am a science major so my classes have always been very competitive but in a healthy manner. My general science classes as a freshman were pretty big- maybe 150 students, but since then my classes have been decreasing in size. My Science classes have become more specialized and classes are usually 20-35 students. Labs are very small as well with 20 or less students. I am in the Honors College and love the core classes as they are a little bit more challenging and interesting. My classes in the Honors college range from 8 students to about 25, with most around 17 students. If you are in the Honors College you get to schedule early and I have always gotten the classes I wanted! I took Race Relations in America this semester which is probably the most unique class I personally have taken. I am a Forensic Science major and my program is very specialized and most classes are chosen for you. Duquesne's Science programs are amazing and I am graduating in 5 years with an undergraduate degree in Biochemistry with a minor in Biology and a Masters in Forensic Science and Law. Duquesne has very specialized programs that are competitive to get into and competitive once you make it in as well. 50% of my major has dropped out of the program, but Forensics is an extreme instance because it has becoming more difficult in order to stay among the top schools. Everyone I know at Duquesne loves their programs or if they don't they find one which they love! It is common for people to change their major in college in general and Duquesne makes it fairly easy, most people still graduate on time. I have met very intelligent people at Duquesne, but there are people that don't have very intelligent conversations outside of class as well. Duquesne as a whole has fair academic requirements with a pretty high acceptance rate, but individual programs vary and are more difficult. For example, many programs require students to keep at 3.0 GPA. Dean's List is 3.5 GPA here as well.

Academics...well for science it is challenging, but the professors are always more than willing to help. Private and group tutors are available for free and are extremely beneficial! The professors work hard to make sure you are actually learning and you can tell that (most of them!) really do care. At the end of the year, every student participates in an exit interview to bash classes that are a waste of time and those that should be introduced/changed. Therefore the curriculum is always being updated to best fit students' career paths. I strongly suggest taking any classes taught by Dr. Becky Morrow - she is fantastic, dedicated, and cares more about her students/people in general than anyone I have ever met! Dr. Ludvico is also another great professor that is worth mentioning, along with Dr. McCormick and Dr. Castric. The classes are tough, but do-able if you put in the time needed. You may have weekends that leave little time for play, but it is still possible to get A's and have a life as long as you are disciplined! Except maybe for junior year...beware! Duquesne is a huuuge leap from high school. Think you can do well studying the night before an exam??? WRONG! But like I said, it is do-able and the professors as well as study body are very academically motivating.

I have had the most fantastic professors at Duquesne. Each and every one of them know your name and care how well you learn the information. They also love what they're teaching so they are more than enthusiastic which definitely helps, especially in the early classes. You'll have a bad professor here or there, I suppose, like every other school, but I never had one in my years there. They are also very open to speaking with you outside of class. They love when you come to their office hours with a question or just to talk about something that's going on in the class. The entire university simply wants you to learn. They want you to get a good job, too, but they realize there's much more to education than that. As far as the Psychology department goes, it is one of the only human-science undergraduate departments in the country. It focuses more on understanding the meanings people make in their lives as opposed to doing experiments in labs, which tend to be very far from understanding actual life. Our department professors are nationally renowned in their field and know more than anyone could ever hope to. They are truly amazing people. If you're looking for a unique spin on the traditional scientific psychology, Duquesne is the place to be.

Academics vary greatly depending on your major, I think. Some programs are highly respected, others are not as academically demanding. I am under the impression that pharmacy, nursing, and education are really good programs. Class sizes are generally small and even science lectures are small compared to other schools. For example, I had a physics class of around 100 students freshman year. Most of my other classes are around 20-30 students, and smaller for my Honors College classes and the professional preparation classes for the School of Education. I have a love/hate relationship with the School of Education. Everyone's experiences vary greatly, depending on a person's class year, specific major, professors that you get, and even the semester that you take specific courses/blocks. There are a few of the best professors I have ever had within my program. My favorite class was Educational Psychology, even though it required up to 40 page papers and tons of work. I still keep in touch with the teacher I had for that class 2 years ago.

Nursing is very tough and clinicals are long. It's definately worth it though to know your career will be helping people each day. While most majors have courses that are 3 credits and 3 hours a week, our clinical courses are about 20 hours a week, only 2 credits and you earn either a pass or fail (which means it does nothing to hel boost your GPA). The students are all very competitive and intelligent. Many will fight till the end to earn that one extra point. I think that makes the students Duquesne look very determined and I am pround to be a student here. Most professors give about 5% for student participation toward your overall grade. So since most of the coure classes have about 25 people or so, the professor will know who participates and who doesnt. The professors are all very nice and most will offer to help you outside of class. Most even give you there phone number and you always have their email address.

Duquesne's academics are for the most part pretty good. Most of the professors seem to really want to be here and truly have the student's interests at heart. One thing that can be frustrating is the large number of core courses required of students...some of which can get very redundant! But with that aside, Duquesne has a very good reputation, particularly in this area, and students rarely have trouble getting jobs once they graduate. As for studying, it really depends on majors. The liberal arts majors, in my opinion, are not difficult to get through. The toughest are definitely pharmacy and health sciences, and students need to study to get through those schools!

My major is sociology and i really like it and the teachers in the department. Since the school is smaller the teachers are able to get to know students more and actually know their names and remember them. People are always participating in class too which makes them more interesting. IT is not like highschool where everyone is afraid to speak and you just have to sit and listen to the teacher. The proffesors here like to make class fun and they actually have a lot of interest in what they are teaching and they know what they are talking about. THey are also always there after class to give their students extra help that they need.

Professors almost always know our name, because of the small class sizes. A good amount of people are serious about studying, but as with most colleges there is a group of people who are there for the parties. The History Department has amazing professors with great class option. The Political Science Department's professors aren't as great, but I had a ood experience in tat department. I worked on projects with professors outstide of class, and they were very good about communication outside of class. Duquesne's requirements are reasonable and provide a diverse education.

The biology department is ok. There are not a lot of classes offered and so you will not get to take all of the classes that you want to take and there are only a few professors so if you do not like a professor more and likely you will have them again. Students are competitive. Class participation is required for core classes but for the biology classes most do not make class attendance a requirement. Duquesne is not very helpful and helping you get a job when you are done and it is very hard to get a professor to write a letter of recommendation in a timely manner.

Professors know you by name and a lot of them have you call them by their first name. It's a very friendly environment overall. You pretty much CANNOT be absent for just about any class. My attendance in high school was so bad I was afraid I wouldn't graduate. My full year and a half at Duquesne, I missed like one of each class MAYBE each semester. Students are a little bit much for me. At the same time, I was in the music school...most people kind of have to be competitive. I wasn't a performance major though, so my goal wasn't to outdo someone else.