Duquesne University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Duquesne University

Morgan

Duquesne is a glorified community college that overcharges its students. Looking back I would not have attended this university. The city of Pittsburgh, but no coincidence, the city is for its main university. Everyone goes home every weekend and there is zero school spirit. I do not feel as though I am being academically challenged and a lot of my classes just give busy work. If you come here I highly recommend that you join greek life, because they are the only form of social interaction on campus.

Alexandria

I believe that Duquesne is a very nice University, but there are some things that could be changed. For one the quality doesn't match the price, and the food is pretty nasty. Housing is way to expensive, and some of the staff around campus can be very rude. But the Professors are very helpful and want you to succeed. More of the college for academics not partying.

I love the University, I enjoy my classes and there is always support for me from the administration when needed. i enjoy that the school is in Pittsburgh although i am from New Jersey, i have family in Pittsburgh and have always loved downtown Pittsburgh which is walking distance from the school

I personally love it. I think it is the perfect size with the best Education program I have seen in Pennsylvania. I am very happy with my choice. It is its own little town with things going on, but right when you walk down the street you have the city of Pittsburgh at your fingertips! It is very safe and cozy and the people are so very friendly.

I really enjoy being at Duquesne. I get a lot of joy out of participating in extra curriculars. I am a part of the Gamma Phi Beta sorority, the Duquesne University Red Masquers, and the Cultural Ambassadors. The food is mediocre but you get used to it, and the dorms are small but I think that's normal. This school is overpriced and it keeps getting higher, but it's hard to want to leave when I can't get this education anywhere else. Scholarships or being totally rich are the only ways to pay for this place.

Leslie

It's a beautiful school with fantastic professors and faculty as well as facilities. That being said, there are a lot of preppy, not-as-intelligent kids who go here, not because of the fantastic academics, but just because their families can pay for it. So, for someone like me that came from humble beginnings and actually cares about her education, it can be hard to find relatable people, but I refuse to give up because I believe in making the best of an experience!

I really like the classes, but would not recommend to people who want a big college. There is almost nothing to do on or near campus on weekends and parties are in the surrounding area but usually a short Uber away. Great for people who aren't interested in a crazy party life, but that life is still possible

Olyvia

It is a great school academically that challenges students to stay focused while still handling their social life. The classes are intense and fast pace but prepare the students for future classes and future exams (PCAT, MCAT). They have plenty to offer the students and the location is nice because it is in the middle of the city but still feels like a secure campus.

Sabrina

Duquesne university provides selective specialized programs. A lot of students who attend are part of these programs rather than general majors. The food has been increasing exponentially. Housing for freshmen is good but not amazing. gets a lot better the higher grade.

Anna

Duquesne is a university that grows on you. Never hearing much of this school and knowing it is not huge, I expected a cute little college in Pittsburgh. It is still a relatively small school, but it feels bigger than it is. The people, classes, push for Greek life may feel overwhelming at times, but Duquesne is truly a unique university. There are countless options for clubs, classes, majors, activities and more! From exploring the streets of Pittsburgh to analyzing a reading, Duquesne is what you make it. And from my own personal experience, you can make it great.

Erin

Duquesne is a great school. Although many people go home on the weekends there are still plenty of activities and a decent amount of people around. This campus community will start to feel like another family. With only 10,000 students you are bound to run into someone you know on your walk to class. You are in the heart of Pittsburgh with just a short walk into the middle of downtown. There is limited transportation, although you are within walking distance to all of south side which has restaurants, a few stores, grocery store and a movie theater. I definitely feel I have made the right choice by choosing to attend Duquesne.

Marissa

Wonderful professors, small class sizes, very tight-knit community. Beautiful campus.

Abigail

Duquesne university is an academically strong at University with many extracurricular activities available and with decent food and housing options. There is a decently large party scene and greek life involvement. Overall Duquesne university is a pricey school with strong academics and decent nonacademic opportunities.

Diana

I love Duquesne, it is little expensive, but I love learning there. Professors are very kind and would serve to help you succeed. Campus is beautiful through out the year and save campus. Each department offers something unique and stand out from other schools.

McKenzie

I had an amazing college experience at Duquesne. The academics in the business school were great and my professors were always very helpful. Some administrative decisions, especially on where money was spent, I disagreed with. But, that is really my only complaint!

Maia

During the summer before the start of my senior year, I attended a week program for high school students. That was where I first fell in love with the University. I knew without a doubt that it was where I wanted to be. So, after a long senior year of going back and forth between different options, I knew Duquesne was where I wanted to be at. I started my first semester of college in June and at first, I was terrified. It was my first time really being out on my own in a new place that I was only a little familiar with. However, not even a few days in I realized how ridiculous it was for me to be scared. The people, the atmosphere, everything about Duquesne is home-like, warm, and inviting. Not only do I feel myself growing into becoming a better student, but also a better person. Duquesne University is an outstanding school with not only a great location right outside the city, but also a great place for academics and resources.

CeCelia

"What makes Duquesne University memorable?" Shops, student life, downtown Pittsburgh, classes, parties, professors. All these things are a large part of Duquesne University, Being the heart of downtown Pittsburgh, you can enjoy college and city life. Even if you do not live in Pittsburgh, you can find a place in you heart for it. Shops and restaurants are a perfect way to get out of campus with friends. Even if you are not a big foodie, the campus market and dining hall has great food options. Do not worry about classes and professors. You are seen as a valuable student and get the attention you need in your high quality classes. Overall, you will not be disappointed with Duquesne University and has the crucial elements to make your college memories last for a lifetime.

Joseph

Great learning facility for any medical professions. In the heart of Pittsburgh with access to the best hospital and teaching facilities in the country. Easy access to the cultural district and sporting events. Diverse campus with students attending from all over the world. Many organizations and clubs to join or you can organize one yourself. Class sizes are small with a more one on one with professors and teaching staff. Duquesne is rich in culture and heritage.

Kira

Duquesne University of the Holy Spirit is a great school. It provides a small school atmosphere while still being located the heart of Pittsburgh for that city feel. The staff is all extremely helpful and really cares about the students who attend the University.

Austin

Duquesne University is a wonderful school that offers a safe, academic environment while still offering many opportunities for social interaction and involvement. The opportunities on campus are made readily available from the first day you step on campus, and the atmosphere of the campus is that of a wonderful, accepting place.

Colton

Nice School

Elysse

It's a small liberal arts campus in the middle of a magnificent city. The food on campus is mediocre at best but there are always options in town. The classes are interesting and fulfilling, the teachers are helpful, and the people are some of the best I've ever met.

Mary

Duquesne University is an excellent school for anyone who highly values academics and positive interactions on a daily basis. The courses are challenging and engaging, and the professors are always willing to meet with students outside of class not just for class-related questions, but also to be an available mentor and guide for any difficult situation. All of the students are kind and considerate toward one another, and there are tons of ways to get involved no matter what your major is. If you are looking for a school that makes you feel at home, I highly recommend Duquesne.

Corey

I very much enjoy being a student at Duquesne University. The other students here are super nice and cool, and the professors are really helpful and know what they're talking about. Its location is perfect since it's right in the city and it's safe. Tons of fun activities to do here. My only negative is the food quality is pretty bad here. But overall a great school to attend.

Alex

Duquesne is whatever you make it. If you enjoy partying, Duquesne is a great fit with parties every night if you’re looking for it. If you don’t like to party, Duquesne is a great fit with many other activities. The academics are second to none; with many students, professors, and alumni being recognized nationally. The athletics are also a huge part of Duquesne culture, with many Division 1 teams that compete every night.

Caroline

Overall, not a bad school. I live off campus and am only in the building I’m required to study in, so I can’t say too much about the state of the other buildings and faculties. I feel safe on campus, there are food options nearby and the students here are as a whole, are pretty nice. If there is one thing I would like is a higher standard for academics, at least in my faculty.

David

In general, Duquesne University is a great college. Although it may be a rather pricey option for some, you certainly get your bang for the buck. Even though I write this review only being a first year student, I can tell you that my experience here has been amazing. The dining and housing services are great, there are tons of clubs for students to participate in, and the proximity to the rest of the city make this university an excellent choice.

Gina

I loved my first year at Duquesne. I felt safe on campus and in my dorm. The food is also good, there are plenty of options to choose from, however some of them can be a bit pricey. The view from the university is also very beautiful, it looks over the river.

Abigail

Duquesne university is a great school, amazing professors and tons of things to do in the best city in the country! You'll never get bored. Although, keep in mind it is a dry campus no matter your age and it is catholic which means big restrictions on overnight stays with the opposite sex. other than that, awesome place to be!

I love it! It's the perfect balance between partying and academics. The professors are very knowledgable and willing to meet outside of the classroom and the university itself is well known and respected. There are many opportunities for internships and career oriented activities. The school is right in the city but feels like a park when walking around it which I love! There is always something to do, something to see, and plenty of amazing restaurants to enjoy! Pitt and Point Park are also within walking distance so there is a good amount of students within the same age group as you. As for the dorms and facilities, they are well kept and cleaned well. The dorms are spacious and the bathrooms are communal but have separate showering areas to maintain the privacy. The food is good and there are many options. There is a main dining hall, a smaller one with "make your own" selections, Chick Fila, and Chipotle, etc within walking distance. Sports are not a huge thing like at Ohio State or Penn State but they are still present and students still attend the games. For students not looking to watch, intermurals throughout the recreational center are also available in addition to a three story gym with classes and basketball courts. Some classes include HIT and spin lead by licensed instructors and sure to give you a great workout! Overall, Duquesne is a great school that is well kept and promises career success. The beauty and strength of the campus are strong attributes.

Anastasia

Duquesne University is a small to medium-sized school that seems to have a little bit of everything and something to offer everyone. It is a Catholic university, but religion isn't forced onto students. People come from very diverse backgrounds to study at Duquesne and that's due to the fact that the university tries it's best to be a welcoming place for all. The academics are generally strong and Duquesne boasts one of the best Nursing and Education schools in the region. Overall, it is a good school that one can build a solid character, resume, and social life at.

Like many universities, you get out what you put in at Duquesne. A lot depends on what your major is and which classes you take. I had several professors who were excellent, but a number of them were mediocre teachers or lacked qualifications. If you're going to Duquesne in the pharmacy school or to work with a specific teacher in the music school, it may well be the best choice. Give yourself options, though. Duquesne is expensive and the work they expect of you, by itself, won't necessarily put you in a great position for job or graduate school applications. You'll need to go above and beyond (which you should anyway) and seek out opportunities to learn and work towards your goals.

Jordyn

Overall, I am thoroughly enjoying my time at Duquesne. I chose the school because it has a high academic standing, while still being fairly involved in sports. The rooms are typical college dorm rooms, and the bathrooms are always kept clean. Because of the way the buildings are set up, it was very easy to make friends on my floor. My professors and teaching assistants are all very helpful and accessible. Most institute an open-door policy in addition to their normal office hours and check e-mails daily to make communication as easy as possible.

alyssa

Duquesne University is an amazing school that provides students with amazing opportunities. I am incredibly lucky to say I am a student at this school and I am grateful for the future Duquesne is helping me create. There is a great environment in and outside of the classroom.

Alexis

Duquesne is a great school with tons of great opportunities! The teachers and staff are a lot of fun to work with and they really seem to have the students best interest at heart. The classes are by no means easy, but that is a good thing when you are paying so much money to attend an institution for schooling. There are the occasional problems ,but overall Duquesne is a great school to attend!

Kassidy

I never expected Duquesne University to mean as much to me as it has. In only a few short months, I was able to make friends that feel more like family. Since it was not my top choice university, I did not go into the year expecting to be as satisfied with the school as I am. Though you are in the heart of Pittsburgh, you can barely even tell. The Bluff, as you call the campus when you are a student of Duquesne, is a home like no other. The campus, though small, provides you with opportunities similar and may be even better than a large university. The chance to have a home away from home is rare, but at Duquesne, it's as if you never left and started a new family where you left off with your family back home.

Christina

I enjoy Duquesne a lot! The people are nice and the professors are always there if you need to talk about you courses! The school is very pretty and there are many activities to participate in. School sports games are very exciting to attend! I love Duquesne University!

It's a nice campus, with lots of opportunity to do things , meet friends & learn. There's information posted everywhere about events, , security around to keep you safe , the ultimate help from professors. The campus is clean & neat, the dorm rooms are a decent size. Being a freshmen is great , I look forward to being a sophomore!

Abigail

Duquesne University is a wonderful school that gives many opportunities for growth for one's career. The university is academically advanced, obviously seen in current student progress and history. The campus is inviting and very safe for anyone, making the university available for nearly everyone.

Krystina

One quality that drew me to Duquesne was the diversity and open-mindedness that significantly influences campus culture as a whole. I had worried initially that a Catholic institution would be extremely conservative, but when I researched further, I learned that this is an ecumenical institution, and also offers organizations and support for the LGBT community, individuals of different faiths such as Judaism and Islam, and numerous other belief systems and backgrounds. Students are also encouraged to uphold this sense of open-mindedness and not to simply be a spectator in life, politics, human rights, etc. Finally, students have easy access to their professors, as the class sizes are generally small and departments tend to encourage cooperation, as well as the availability of mentors that assist students in planning out their schedules and meeting their goals. Some negative aspects of this school are that there are very few affordable dining options available, and that there is not much respect for creative arts such as literary magazines, although this is unfortunately true at many schools. Overall, I feel very at home at Duquesne and am very glad to be a student here - it is not always perfect, but I've already learned a lot here.

Jeramiah

The school is great, but expensive when you see what the money you pay goes to (Mostly upkeep, and not improvement to some buildings). Most professors are helpful and willing to speak to you and help you if you just walk in their office. Others don't want to speak to students at all. The class sizes are great usually a size of 15-30 student depending on the class, a larger class would hold 150-200 student at max. The facilities used are great and more up to date. When it comes down sporting even most of the student body has no spirit and would rather pay for a PItt or Steelers game then support our own teams. The school can improve a lot when it comes to art or cultural events. The cafeteria food could be better. Depending on what you want from a college this school may or may not be for you. The school is in a great area thats close to many stores, and the school provides shuttle buses during the weekend to go to other places(Unfortunately the school does not give students bus passes).

Jazmin

I love Duquesne. Honestly, I don’t think I would have fit in to another school. I am a trans man, and though Duquesne is a catholic college, they accept me for who I am and who I want to be. Their academics are on their top and they really try to get their students involved in athletics and be equal to all

I absolutely love Duquesne University! I was hesitant at first because it honestly wasn't my number one school, but I literally could not imagine my college experience at any other school. Campus is easy to navigate, classes aren't too big, professors are personable, I'm not sure what else you would need! The fact that campus is in the heart of Pittsburgh yet feels like a "normal" college campus is incredible. There's so much to do and so much to see, there's truly never a dull moment!

Bethany

Duquesne is a great school to attend if you can afford it. The cost of education here is exorbitant. However, you get a great education. The school itself is in a nice area with plenty to do. The campus life is fun and living on campus is expensive but living off of campus is more expensive. Overall, I think the school a great and i give it a 4/5.

Damian

Overall my opinion about Duquesne University is at it always has been since I started my freshman year. It is a school with a great academics program with an amazing opportunity for its students. We serve God by serving our students and our community. I am currently transferring majors and Duquesne is doing a great part in their staff for helping me realize what I would like to do with my life. They are doing their best to help me become my best.

Weston

Duquesne University is a small school, but a great school nonetheless. We do not dwell on athletics, but more on overall success and learning. I think the education one can receive here at Duquesne is much better than what you would find at bigger schools (say Pitt or Penn State). Being in the heart of the city, you can become immersed with so many different peoples and ideas, and visit many different places. Duquesne definitely presents itself with many opportunities for greatness and success

Zacheus

I really like the school. It is kind of away from the busy city life but right in the middle of it at the same time. The academics are great, I feel I am getting the best learning possible. I do not like that big push for Greek life on campus. There is a huge Greek Presents which I feel hinders social growth.

Duquesne University is a great school! Although the dorms are sort of small and could use some improvements, the classes are great! Tuition is high, but it is worth every penny because the academics are great! Duquesne has a diverse set of students and staff and they make sure everyone is involved in campus events.

Grace Marie

Duquesne has been the best decision I’ve made as it has everything necessary to be a professional in Nursing such as: availability of faculty, the rigorous courses beginning freshmen year, and the size of campus to allow you to grow close with your classmates.

Jaycee

Duquesne is a place that many people attend locally in order to stay close to home. Many people who attend this school know one another and are consistently going home to see their families. Many students commute or go home every weekend. The professors are often apathetic to student needs. The academics are not challenging enough for someone who is used to AP or IB courses. Advisors are not overly helpful, nor are they entirely honest. Overall, this school is decent enough to attend if they give you enough scholarship money; otherwise, don't waste your time and money.