Dutchess Community College Top Questions

If I were in high school again I would spend more time researching schools and applying to scholarships. I knew I wouldn't be able to afford college but I never took into consideration how many scholarships are out there. So, I felt like community college was my only choice. I should have visited more colleges and chosen one that I really loved. I feel like that would have helped me do better academically and just overall happier.

Don't rush into going to a four-year school and chossing a major quickly. It is perfectly ok to go to a two-year school take a few classes and figure out what classes excite you.

Brienne

My first piece of advice to my high school self would be to focus more and to stop procrastinating. Breaking the habbit early on is much easier. College is different than high school and your work is more important than it was in high school. In life we are constantly working to make sure that we have a better future and college is a major stepping stone that will determine the rest of your future. Being able to focus and get work done will help you keep a clear mind without becoming over stressed. In the end hard work and dedication will pay off even if at the moment it seems that there is no hope. I would also tell myself to relax and enjoy life because soon enough your childhood is goinng to be over. Enjoy what you have before it is gone. The people that you once thought you could never live with out will move on and so will you. Life changes people. So enjoy it while it is still there and make the best of everything that you do.

My high school experience was far from typical. Because of a debilitating illness, I was forced to home school. I also became isolated and was too sick to socialize much; all I did was my school work, due to a lack of energy. I decided that enrolling at Dutchess Community College would be a good way to still be around people my age; my first course was Social Problems in Today's World. By some lucky chance, this course happened to be taught by the head of the college disability office. It was tough, but very worth the effort. It was this course that made me decide that Liberal Art and Humanities was that path I would take. Up until now, while struggling with my illness and attending public school, I had been very frustrated and had become socially withdrawn. If I could go back, I would tell myself that I am not so different than others, that everyone has basically the same insecurities and many of the same concerns. I would tell myself that I have just as good a chance as anyone to be successful.

Shavon

The advice I would give myself is to study more and work hard. Ask question in class if you do not understand a problem with anything. This will help you when you get into college because you will be better prepared for what you have to do. I would also tell myself to not joke around all the time, take some things to the heart. Listen to your teachers when they talk and not just hear them. But, most of all I would tell myself to not skip out on school just because you feel you will not learn anything today or you think it is borning.

Meaghan

I would go back in time to tell myself that college isn't important because of the degree you earn. It certainly helps out in the 'real world' which I know from spending almost 8 years out of school before going to college. Having a degree opens doors but the important part of college is the experience. Trying subjects you aren't sure you'll like and finding something you're passionate about instead. Or finding out that you're are smarter than you ever gave yourself credit for. It's a chance to leave everything from high school behind and be something completely different, and grow into a well rounded adult. I always thought college was an extension of high school and a complete waste of time, but now that I'm actually doing it I can say it's the best thing I've ever done for myself.

The transition from high school to college for me was incredibly difficult. I was so used to not having major responsibilities that I was on the brink of not attending college at all. Originally, I wanted to attend Dutchess Community College because it was a smaller step than attending a four year school right away, but even that was tough. My first semester was incredibly rough on me. It's not that I was tkaing hard classes, but I psychologically told myself that I didn't want to be there, and started to count myself out. At the end of the semester I wound up failing my pre-calculus class and only attaining a 2.67 GPA, barely making it through, but setting me back greatly. Since then, I have achieved Dean's List status for the past two semesters and haven't looked back since. If I were to talk to myself in high school, I would say one thing. I would tell myself to gain more responsbility day after day so I would be more comfortable transitioning into college. I believe that if I had more responsibility on my plate, things would've been much easier.

Dezraia

The biggest advice I would give myself if I could go back to me as a senior in High school would be to prepare alot more for this next stage in my life. College is the total opposite of High school. In High school you are baby by your teachers throughout your whoel high school career. When it come to college you are completely on your own. Teachers are there to help you but you have to be there to help yourself first and foremost. You are invested alot more in college because you are paying out of your pocket for your education rather than taxes being used for your education. I will tell myself that for college you need to study harder and know that you are seen as an adult upon entering college and you should start acting like one during your senior year so the transition won't be so diffcult to overcome.

Kenneth

If I was able to go back in-time and talk to former self as a high school senior I think I would have much to say. I would point out all the mistakes I did during high school and right after. One of the main things I would talk to my past self about is working so much harder then I was at the time, in school and school sports. If I worked a little bit harder I would be playing college football like I wanted to. If the colleges didn?t come to me I should of went to them. Also a with school I would explain to myself that college is much different then high school. When in college its like being on your own, no teachers to babysit you no one to call your house if your doing bad in class, you basically get out of college what you put in. If you work hard, study, and come to class everyday it will show in your grades. After high school time flies before you know what happened. Time is one of the only things in this world you cannot take for granted.

Dillon

Looking back, I would tell myself that you should pursuit the subject you love, not sign up for somthing because of the potential salary prospects. I would tell myself that the environment in which you learn is just as important as the education itself and that the journey and its resolution, a degree, are all a part of the adventure, enjoy it. Sign up for classes that challenge you, that make you think and push your limits, because you will always find that you can work harder and achieve more. I would say put yourself out there, hang out with people you never used to, get active in not only the school but the social scene. Being happy is just as important as being successful. I woud tell myself to dream big, think radically and not to accept the way things are but to envision the way things could be. I would remind myself of who I am, but also affirm that in college you have the ability to re-define yourself, you are not limited to being what you have been, but to finding and creating who you want to be. Pursuit your education, your life and your dreams.

Helen

I would tell myself to attend college right out of high school. The longer you are out of high school, the harder it will be. To get my degree and career first, before getting married and having children. Secure my future with a good paying job, where there is a high demand and where the economy won't effect it (ie; laid off, etc). You can't put a price on Security in a career. That is worth it's weight in gold!

michael

start from scratch and make a new beginning for me.

Juliette

If I could go back in time, I would be brutally honest and straight to the point telling myself first, to not be startled, go verbalize your concerns to the principal that you need the right guidance counselor with real college opinions and advice that will benefit your goals in life. Second, you need to make your own decisions listening to your gut. Do not listen to a guidance counselor who wants to collect her money and only aid students who she favors and who always discourages you since ninth grade to not take classes that would better your future goals. Third, enroll yourself at a community college earlier in the year and take classes necessary for my major as an alternative to wasting your time taking random classes that wouldn?t prepare you for college. Finally, I would tell myself to have no regrets, continue to follow your dreams never diverging from it, and never feel like you are less than anyone just because you don?t have enough to support yourself or your family. Constantly, have the motivation to better your future or you will end up as I, your future self, having many regrets till this day.

Ana

Dear Ana, As much as you want this, you hold back. You think you have nothing to offer the world. After all, you didn't make National Honor Society, or lead a charity, or were the best runner in the track team. Yet, all you really needed all along, is something you already have- passion. You have determination and are not willing to take no for an answer. You came to this country without knowing the language, had a young mom, and for a short period of time did not have a father. Yet you had love, encouragement and most important- a good work ethic. You have overcome so much. So something like how to pay for school, while difficult, is not an insurmountable feat. Trust yourself. Have confidence. Put yourself out there, and make yourself known. You have all you need to make it in this world. No all you have to do is tap into it. Sincerely, Me

rebecca

If i could go back to high school and start over with what I know not it is to not procrastinate and put everything to last minute. Life is about to change and it is not going back. School is not your responsibility and you can no longer argue for your grades. Your best is all you can do but that involves a lot of studying. Although studying is important, don't forget to take a day off every once and a while or finals will come and stress influences grades.

Roderick

If i would have known now as a high school senior I would have planned out my future a lot better than I did. College life requires a lot of planning and time. People say that college is hard work and dedication but in reality its very easy work and determination. Planning financially is probably the most critical part of college. If you do not have the money to pay for college you should start thinking about how you are going to pay for tuition months before classes start. I have a lab fee of around $8,000 and I learned the hard way that I should have looked for ways to pay for college before I entered.