Dutchess Community College Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Dutchess Community College

Felicia

The college has a strong faculty but not all of the professors that share the same department are on the same page. Two students would be taking the same course but would have different professors. One student would be getting an A and the other one was struggling to get a C. The professors definitely need to communicate more about how they choose to present the same material. It was always very easy to find drugs and alcohol simply because of the environment where the school was located. Poughkeepsie is a very poor inner-city and also there weren't many rules enforced at all. It was very easy to get into the residence hall and I was not a resident student. It was very easy to get in drugs or alcohol or anything that was not supposed to be on the campus because of the security. This also makes it worse simply because it was a dry campus and still is. They do not have the best security because it is a community college and student don't necessarily stay on campus except for the ones that live there. The college is in the process of becoming a 4-year school but it has a lot of work to do before it can reach that point.

Christopher

If you're planning on going to college, why not do your core requirements at a local college? Dutchess Community College has a wide selection of classes and mostly good professors, and most classes will transfer to a four year school. There is a lot of help available for those who choose to take advantage of it.

Mia

Dutchess is definitely like grade 13, but it can be great for a student hoping to prepare for their next college. Dutchess helped me restart my life in a why I probably would not have been able to do at other school. I was able to create a new and better GPA and find a love for learning. Teachers at the school are wonderful ( when you find the right ones) because they really challenge your ideas and do not take community college for an excuse. Many people do not take advantage of these opportunities and actually complain about the work , but I believe it is great because you can get a great education for a very affordable price. On the other hand many of the students enjoy partaking in a lot of events non academic related (eve though it is a dry campus) affecting their education being that it is all they do. This can be a distraction depending on the type of person you are or it can be ignored. This would be a lot easier to ignore if there were a lot more activities on campus for residence enjoy. Dutchess does have a very large list of campus clubs, but many of them are not involved. Moral of the story: Great school to help you get back on your feet, but don't waste your opportunity because they may give you multiple chances, but your next school won't.

Judith

The school is alright overall. Most of the teachers in the Criminal Justice department are former or current police officers. This enables us to learn everything we need to know about the criminal justice system. The campus is very clean and is a smoke-free campus.

Mayra

Great teachers, they organize the class very good. The staff are helpful all the time.opportunity to pay your semester in payments . Is a good college.

Dutchess is great for those who have no idea what to do with their lives, with low tuition it’s not a big commitment to bounce from major to major. However it’s in the city of PK where the night life gets boring. There is something for everyone on campus, with hundeds of clubs andactivities you’re sure to find something. The teachers are hot or miss many of them are very qualified for their jobs while some are not.

Nadivah

I think that this college is great for those who are looking to save money. If you are looking to pursue something like your associates degree in Nursing, then this is a great college to come to. In terms of social life/atmosphere, academics, food, etc, this school is rather mediocre...the classes aren't the most challenging. People tend to come to class and then leave right after, which makes sense since lots of people have jobs and families and kids. Like I stated earlier, come here if you want to save money!!

Rebecca

Overall, Dutchess Community College is an excellent two-year school. There is a variety of clubs and extracurricular activities that entice students of all backgrounds to join in. A second interesting fact about DCC is that the student population is so diverse that I end up meeting all different types of people everyday. A third positive is that a lot of the professors are extremely nice, accessible, and wanting to help, but there is always that select group of professors that are the exact opposite. I experienced this, but was able to get through the class with my advisor's help. Finally, the class size is so great because it creates a much more one-on-one feeling with a professor. I especially love this because I do so well in this type of environment. Overall, DCC is a good school

Veronica

DCC is the sweet college on the hill. It's architectural buildings and endowments of sculpture amplify its artistic nature. Sweeping views of the Hudson Valley give students a vantage point to dream big. The faculty is comprised largely of actual industry professionals which enriches the students with exceptional understanding in their field of study. The college provides affordable tuition where students can make learned career decisions without breaking the bank and a multitude of academic departments like Architecture for example. Overall it's a great nurturing environment for anyone who wants to find a new path, career or a fresh start to their future.

Tracyann

my overall opinion of my school is that we have great faculty and staff that are here to offer students the help they need in the areas they need it. The campus is great and i never not feel safe. we have many academic opportunities for students who need that extra help. i'm proud to say i'm a Dutchess Community College Student.

Joshua

The school is a great school if you are looking for something cheap or only want to take a class or two. The campus is a decent size and the campus has decent food and a Dunkin’ Donuts that was recently added which is convenient. The teachers are amazing and have great office hours, they are there for the students.

My overall opinion on DCC is that it is an okay community college. They offer a lot more than I thought they would but they could use improvement. Some of the professors are great but others need to be better trained in teaching. The campus itself is nice and the equipment is decent but needs improvement.

Kristen

I enjoyed my time at DCC, though my first year was not necessarily the best. There are some horrible professors, but there are many more extremely good professors that outweigh the bad. Additionally, I felt the school better itself every year I was there.

Eniola

A good school. Love the opportunity and education given. More than a community college, the mixture of students and opportunities available is great. The school has given me the opportunity to effectively transition from high school to college and I am happy I decided to attend this school

Kendra

My overall opinion of Dutchess Community College is it has great classroom sizes, professors are very accessible, and it's very affordable to attend. They also give students a lot of aid which helps cover others costs such as books or other applies needed. Being a community college, they have given me a great liberal arts/general studies education.

DCC definitely wasn’t my first choice. I had gotten into all 12 colleges I applied to, including prestigious colleges like Northeastern and Villanova. I then realized I could never afford these colleges, and that’s when I decided to enroll in DCC. I had gotten free tuition since I graduated in the top 10% of my high school class, which was a deal I really couldn’t pass up thanks to the Conklin Scholarship. After my 2 years at DCC, my view of the college changed dramatically. DCC isn’t “thirteenth grade”, as a lot of people at my high school would call it. I received a great education with amazing professors, some of which I am still in contact with. The classes set me up well for my 4 year college, as I am actually ahead of a lot of my peers. I made great friends and great connections. Even if I could have afforded a college like Villanova, I still would have gone to DCC for 2 years. I love DCC and I’m proud to see that my younger sister ended up transferring there after her first semester at another college. DCC is the way to go!