D'Youville College

« See more reviews of D'Youville College

D'Youville has offered me a variety of positive experiences, personally as well as academically and professionally. The diversity of students is allowing me to learn about and accept other cultures and religions and to be an open-minded individual. The academic experience offers small class sizes and ideal professor interaction that is conducive to a successful learning environment. D'Youville is very challenging academically but if you are motivated and determined to seek the necessary assistance from the staff, the sky is the limit. It has taught me that through hard work, anything is possible. The school also has many affiliations within the community that allows students to make professional connections and even to set up job opportunities for after graduation. The benefit of attending the smaller college as opposed to a larger university has enabled me to attain one-on-one help from professors and in the process, develop real relationships with the staff on a personal level. Some colleges offer a mentor program; due to the small size and personal nature of this school, any and all of your professors are mentors. They are willing to offer personal as well as professional advice to ensure success.

My limited collegiate experience has birthed a plethora of realizations about higher education. First, transitioning out of high school, my false self-confidence led me to believe I was incomparably wordly savy.. Yet, collegiate exposure expanded my existential insight, causing me to question my mortality and the grandeur of our universe. Awareness of my inadequacies launched into self-motivation. Secondly, I realize the value of communication skills. The ability to analyze both the written and verbal causes engagement, contributing energy and collaboration for solutions. College has deepened my interest in current affairs. I am motivated to delve and examine all points of view, determining implications for the future. I realize the value of systematically comparing and contrasting history of local, state, national, and world affairs to what is transpiring currently. The improvement of self is essential to the betterment of the whole. And, finally, I have developed the awareness of the value of self-discipline. Regulating focus builds structure and brings order. An ease in perception flows promoting positivism and confidence, allowing wholesome decision making and a sense of centeredness.

High School is full are numerous pressures for the approaching college semester such as SAT's, friends, college applications, career choice, entrance exams, and financial assistance; it may seem confusing, overwhelming, and scary. To best ease the experience and transition of becoming a freshman in college the best advice would be to trust the people with your best interests in mind, and have trust in yourself. Your family, guidance counselors, and people that love you will guide you down the right path to making the best choices. Stress is not needed if you prepare yourself for what's to come, and what to expect. Be optimistic of the future, and don't sweat the small stuff. Friends in high school are important, but don't allow them to hold you back; a true friend would want the best for you. You have your whole life to worry about relationships and dating this isn't important at this time in your life, this is the time for you to focus on yourself. Avoid the wrong people that are consumed with partying and drinking they don't have the proper priorities. Work hard and stay focused and you will be successful.

College is definitely a place for hard work. It is expensive and always stressful. But it is also something much more than that. College is one of the only environments in the world where every single day there is an opportunity to improve oneself. Even though I enter pathophysiology every single class frightened, I also appreciate the challenege and opportunity to gain knowledge which I can use everyday to help a patient and perhaps save a life. College is the stepping stone to the future a person dreams of. It provides the student with all of the necessary tools to succeed in their chosen career. As a nursing major, I had the opportunity to go to a two year school and graduate with an associates degree. However I value higher education and I am trying to obtain my baccleurate. I go to school everyday and work my hardest. Last semester I recieved a 3.9 GPA. I know doing this is, I will be prepared when I finally graduate and will feel knowledgable and confident when treating my patients. I value college so much because through the knowledge I am gaining there, I have the opportunity to help humanity.

Both parents and students should consider the average size of classes, how frequently necessary courses are offered, the availability of tutors or mentors, the safety of the campus, and the tolerance of race/ethnicity and sexual orientation. When a student is entering college for their first time, they must be aware that most colleges contain students who participate in parties involving alcohol. This can really ibe detrimental to a student's progress through college, and they will find it in their best interest to seek out social situations that will not complicate this difficult journey. They will certainly benefit from using the academic facilities that provide tutors who specialize in subjects the student is having trouble with. Most importantly, students should be aware that the purpose of college is to become a working professional in at least four years, but this minimum of four years can only be achieved with arduous work! Their social life in not their first priority! Do encourage their search of friends, but urge them to find those who will provide a positive influence on their studies.

While it is difficult to offer only one piece of advice to prospective students, safety and cost of education is applicable to EVERY student. Before applying to any institution, you should most certainly look into the area the institution is established and visit there. Do you feel comfortable walking or driving down those streets? While touring the area, do you notice anyone dressed in security patrolling the area? If not, then you should strongly consider other institutions. Unless this particular school offers excellent programs, your safety should never be put at risk. My second piece of advice is to really recognize what your tuition is truly paying for. If you are attending a college where tuition is $10,000 a semester, figure out WHO is educating you! Is it a student in a doctoral program, or a long term professor who holds their PhD? After you figure out who is teaching you, stop by professor's offices and interview them. Do they appear happy to be working for that particular school? Chances are if your professor is not happy, you may not be! Do your research and really look into EVERYTHING!

College is not for everyone. Some people are satisfied and content with their life and the path it's headed, and there is definitely nothing wrong with that. But in my mind college education is extremely important because it gives you a base to build your life around, teaches you about the world we live in and how we can utilize its resources most effectively. College education also gives me a good mean of leaving; it makes me capable of being a productive memeber of the work force. And if you can combine your education with your experience it can be extremely profitable. Another reason why I attend college is because I can get practical and valuable experiences while studying at college. Everyone at college is grown-up here, and you'll also have to learn to act like a grown-up yourself, learn to adapt and take responsility for everything you do. College is teaching me to live an independent life. So, besides the knowledge, it's also important to prepare and learn what it's like living in the real world. A college education, unlike most other purchases, will appreciate in value, not depreciate.

My college experience has been rewarding in a number of ways. I have learned a great deal about myself, my goals, and what I would like to achieve in my future. Attending college has encouraged me to become a stronger, more independent person. While going to college is often considered to be a requirement for many students today, I am only the second person in my family to pursue a higher education, and I plan to be the first to earn a Master's degree. I truly believe that my education will help me in my future, not only with finding a good job, but also because it has allowed me to grow and learn about myself, others, and society in general. College is a great learning experience that has allowed me to take advantage of many opportunities. I have met and befriended people from all walks of life and I have broadened my knowledge through classes, extracurricular activities, professors, and other students. Although the financial burden is substanstial, I look forward to graduating with a degree and the skills I will need to become a responsible citizen and a valuable member of society.

By attending college I have become more in tune to the world around me. I have been taught to challenge everything and to think critically. I have become more aware of the importance to serve, not only those in my own community, but those around the world. I have made friendships and memories that will last a lifetime. Through participation in athletics and campus clubs, I have become a more well-rounded individual. I am much more aware of cultural differences than ever before. I have thought about cultural, ethical, and world issues, many of which I had never before considered prior to attending college. Out of my college experience has not only come widsom and knowledge, but what I feel is an increased capability to relate to, serve, and develop relationships with more types of people. I feel for all of these reasons college has been a valuable experience. It is the goal of most people to someday obtain a skill that can be used in finding a career. I feel college has not only helped me to develop a skill, but that it has also increased my awareness for the world in which I will be working.

I am a 33 year old, single mother. I have endured many difficult experiences throughout my life. It is detrimental, not only to me but to my 6 year old son, to complete and succeed in college. Attending college has enabled me to expand my education and learning skills. I have obtained many useful techniques and personal interaction tools to thrive in today's society. College has enlightened me and empowered me with knowledge. College has proven valuable to me because it has shown me the strength and will power to succeed. It has challended me and pushed me to the breaking point while fulfilling my heart and mind with happiness from learning the field I love, medicine. Learning new material has proven to reward me time and time again. Everyday, I look forward to the new knowledge I will obtain in school and how I can use it to assist others. I intend to finish college with a master's degree in applied science. I will proceed in mastering the board exams for a registered physician assistant. I will then become an asset to our community in serving underpriveleged areas in the healthcare field.