D’Youville College Top Questions

Shannon

The list of advice I could give my past self concerning my college transition is endless. There is nothing like the college experience. The only way I can describe it is that it's extremely different, but a good different. I guess the best advice I would give my high school self would be to stand up for what I believe. I like to think that I'm a genuinely nice person; it's rare I don't get along with someone. However, I will say that I have the tendency to allow others to take advantage of me. Maybe not so much now, but definitely when I entered college last fall. Learning to stand up for myself was probably the hardest thing I've learned this year (even harder than Anatomy & Physiology!) and although I fought it for a long time, I eventually did it, and boy did it feel good. That was the moment I realized that I could stand up for myself and still be a good person, only stronger. So past self, you will grow as an individual to fight for your happiness. It happens, so don't resist it, because it's a beautiful thing.

Agharese

The first thing I will ask myself is if I am ready for college and by that, I would set up a short and long term goals for myself. But the number one most important advice for me is to always talk to my advisor about my program and classes before and at the end of each semester because every school are different and some requires the students to take an entrance exam first. Moreover, I would advise myself to stay update with the changes going on in my school especially when it comes to my education and making sure I am taking the right amount of classes in regards to financial aids. And I would have talk myself into taking the freshmen seminar class during the summer after my senior year in high school because I believe do it would have better prepare me for college than I would have expected. Although I cannot go back to better advice myself which would have been great but something I learn along the way is that college is not a place you can just rush into but rather an education you have to better prepare yourself for when you are ready.

RayNis

The advice I would give is to be ready to attend college know what you want to do, because it makes picking your major much more easier. Make sure you definately visit the campus make sure you know that this college is the best fit for you and make sure you attend the open house you receive so much useful information.

Jenna

I would tell myself to learn study skills, as I never needed to study in high school but in college I have found it difficult to actually study. I would tell myself that it isn't as intimidating as you think, and you don't necessarily have to finish in 4 years. Take your time and do well.

High School Counselors convinced me that it is okay to go into college with an undecided major because we have time, but because of that advice, I am graduating in 2016 instead of 2014. Therefore make sure of what major you want to pursue, it is never too early to decide. When I applied to colleges, I applied to the common Sunys like Stony Brook , University at Buffalo & Binghamton. It is okay to look beyond the common schools and look into the smaller and private colleges because they may have just as great programs as the Sunys.

Habiba

If I had the option of going back to high school, the advice I would give myself would've have been to pick a school that is more social science oritnated. I would've also picked a school a little bit bigger and reserach foucas. I would've picked a school that was out the area if I had knowing what I know back them. I would've applied to more scholarships also.

Alicia

The advice I would give myself is make sure to save all your money and not spend it on silly things. Dont pick a major because of how much money is involves, pick something that you will truly love to do. Look into all the options you have with college, and not just settle because you think thats all your good enough for. Take the ACT one more time and go in with the mind set you can do better.

Cheryl

If I could give myself advice in high school I would tell my high school self to not take time off from school. A short time off of school can turn into an unexpected long time off. Another piece of advice would be to scrutinize all the forms and course plans. This will make sure that the correct courses are taken and allow you to graduate on time. A third piece of advice would be to interact with students and faculty. Forming study groups will help learn the material and help in career networking. Also if you engage most professors at the beginning of semester they will do extra work to help you learn the material.

Tammy

If I could go back in time and give advice to myself in high school, I would say to go to college right away and do not wait. Life can get in the way of school and even taking a small time off can lead to a longer time than expected. Another piece of advice I would give is to not be shy. There are a lot of students experiencing the same emotions and struggles that you are. I am a nursing student and a nurse has to work as a team with other nurses and medical staff. Learning to communicate with other students and working with them helps prepare students for the real world working environment. A third piece of advice would be to engage and interact with your professors. Professors can be strict with grading but I have found most are willing to give extra help in ensuring that you learn the material.

Carlton

do this now and not wait 25 years

Joelle

If I could go back in time and speak to my highschool self I would first tell myself that everything will be okay! Things have a way of working themselves out. I would tell myself to focus on my work because it does matter and you actually need to read the material given in order to succeed. You can have a social life while doing well in school, you don't have to compensate one for the other but be sure you keep your priorities in check because in the end, what you do now will effect you later in life. It is important to branch out and meet new people, especially people from different backgrounds in order to expand your horizens and become cutltured. You'd be amazed at how different yet similar many of the people in the world are. Don't be afriad to try new things and meet new people. Make connections and alwasy be respectful to your professors, they can really help you in future endevors.

Matt

If I could go back in time there is a lot I would like to tell myself. First that grades and acedemics in high school are more important then I believe, so straighted up my act and get focused. The next thing I would tell myself is to pick the correct major to begin with. Take the most obvious choice . When I first went into college I failed out because I chose the wrong major and I struggled to get my GPA back to an acceptable grade. I would also tell myself to stayed focused and do the work. Also I would want to tell myself that I am capable of more then I would have thought back then.

I would tell myself to take college more seriously the first two years. Also i would have advised myself to apply for more scholarships ahead of time and throughout college. I would tell myself to really get involved in the clubs offered at the school they are super fun and really help you make friends. I would tell myself to be careful; at soccer so that I did not recieve the injury that i did making it extremely difficult to play my last year. I would advise myself to eat better and work on my organization to prevent getting worn out and tired quickly while at school. And finally i would tell myself to really push myself and fill every semester with as many opportunities as i could as far as classes because there are a number of classes that i wish I had taken that are no longer offered. i avoided them to lighten my work load but i could have taken them on in hindsight.

Catherine

Difficulties arise almost everywhere in a person's life and college is no different. The thing about college though is that you have the power to change your difficulties into oppourtunities that work to your advantage. There are many situations you may not be prepared for in college but you also learn in these situations to think and act on your feet while trusting your best judgement. When you are considering the transition to college, don't let worry control your life, instead stay focused on the practical things that matter most to you. Making sure that your academic, financial and social needs will be satisfied are all important items to keep in mind. When you eventually arrive at college, it will be helpful to begin fostering immediately all sorts of connections with your new home and the people associated with it. This is the place where you will continue to be shaped into the person you are meant to be and you want to get to know it well! Know that in the end things will work out, this moment is the only one you have to work with and what you do with it is what really matters.

Katherine

High School is full are numerous pressures for the approaching college semester such as SAT's, friends, college applications, career choice, entrance exams, and financial assistance; it may seem confusing, overwhelming, and scary. To best ease the experience and transition of becoming a freshman in college the best advice would be to trust the people with your best interests in mind, and have trust in yourself. Your family, guidance counselors, and people that love you will guide you down the right path to making the best choices. Stress is not needed if you prepare yourself for what's to come, and what to expect. Be optimistic of the future, and don't sweat the small stuff. Friends in high school are important, but don't allow them to hold you back; a true friend would want the best for you. You have your whole life to worry about relationships and dating this isn't important at this time in your life, this is the time for you to focus on yourself. Avoid the wrong people that are consumed with partying and drinking they don't have the proper priorities. Work hard and stay focused and you will be successful.

Alyna

Stay focused work hard, have fun at the same time but know your limit. Strive to be the best you can, dont get discourged.

Abbey

I would tell myself to focus on scholarship applications and finding ways to afford college, because that has been a struggle since I began. I would also tell myself to spend as much time with my friends and family because when you leave, you will miss them more than anything. I would also tell myself not to worry so much about what others tell you to do, and do what makes you happy. I would encourage myself to have been more outgoing and recomend that coming into college with an open mind and positive attitude are the key to making new friends, as soon as you open up you will be happy!

Joyce

Pick a major and stick with it, study hard and eat well.

Matt

The advice I would give to myself would be that the classes are not as easy as they were in high school and that the tests need to be studied for and prepared for more then a night in advance. The professors help the best they can but it becomes more independantly focused and that the acheivments are being strived for becomes weighted on the decisions that are being made and trying to make the right decision rather than the easy one.

Elizabeth, I am now 31 years old, and looking back on it, I have some advice I would like you to consider. I understand the pressures of graduating highschool and going on to college, but don't do it for mom, dad, or anyone else. You need to do it for yourself. It is okay if it takes you longer than your friends to find your path. Trust in yourself, that in the future you will pick a career that makes you proud of who you are. Enjoy being young, it only happens once. Try not to stress about money. Do yourself a favor and do not go to school if you are not ready, because you have racked up an enormous amount of student loan debt, but with that debt, you have become more well rounded and an educated woman, which can only help you on your future path to becoming a nurse. You are a great woman! Beleive in yourself and allow yourself to make mistakes and learn from them. You will figure it out, trust me!! I am proud of the woman you are today, and the woman you will become!

Kaitlyn

There are so many things that I could tell myself with what I know now and there are many things that people did tell me as a high school senior that I now understand with new meaning. I left high school with lots of friends not realizing how much my life would change in just a few months. My biggest piece of advice would be to not have any expectations about college. Nobody can anticipate the way their lives are about to change or how little changes depending on the college and a persons personality. My second piece of advice would be to go away to college. Go live and experience something new and different. Go live on your own and become an adult. I didn't dorm at my school and that is one of my biggest regrets. I wish I had lived on campus at a college that was at least an hour away from home. You can always come home if it doesn't work out, but at least give yourself the option.

Sydney

I would say, you dont always know what you want to do with your life and its okay to change your mind and alter the path you are on. Also do not be afraid to stand up for what you believe in because you never know people may say something cant be done, and you are always able to prove them wrong if you put your heart and mind to it.

Meghin

I would first go back and tell myself to be ready to work hard. As a high school senior, I applied for a rigorous program at D'Youville; early assurance Pre-Pharmacy. I knew from the beginning it would be alot of work, but I underestimated just how much work it was going to be. My first couple weeks at college, I was like, "Jeez, this isn't bad at all, I have all this extra time to go to the gym, and have movie nights with friends. This semester will be super earsy." However, in my thrid week I had a rude awakening. I no longer had time for myself, or friends, or so I thought. I had to learn quickly to adjust to the work load, but to also make time for myself and friends. I learned to manage my time, to balance work and play. The second thing I would go back to tell myself is to be prepared to make sacrifices. When you get to college, there are so many choices you must make. I learned pretty quickly that there would be times that i would have to sacrifice my scoial life for my school work.

Kristel

AS YOU JOURNEY IN LIFE, ONE OF THE MANY STEPS THAT YOU WILL TAKE IS TO PURSUE AN EDUCATION. SOME OF THE THINGS THAT YOU WILL REQUIRE IS A SPECIFIC CARRER,YOU MIGHT NOT KNOW EXACTLY WHAT YOU WANT AT FIRST BUT IT WOULD SURELY HELP IF YOU HAD A CERTAIN CAREER IN MIND. I HAVE REALIZED SOME THINGS , NOW THAT I AM OLDER, ONE DOESNT TRULY REALIZE WHAT THEIR PURPOSE IN LIFE IS UNTIL YOU GO OUT THERE AND FIND IT, LIFE IS MEANT TO BE ENJOYED AND LIVED WELL, THERE WILL BE DISSAPOINTMENTS BUT WHO IN THIS WORLD DOESNT GO THROUGH THAT ,TRY TO DO WHAT YOU LOVE, WHILE SERVING OTHERS , BECAUSE IT WILL BRING YOU PEACE AND COMFORT AND WILL MAKE OTHERS FEEL GOOD ALSO. TRY YOUR BEST TO DO WELL IN SCHOOL, YOU ARE NOT PAYING FOR COLLEGE AND IT WOULD BE NICE TO TRY TO LEARN AND ENJOY EVERY MOMENT OF COLLEGE AS YOU CAN, BECAUSE YOUR ONLY YOUNG ONCE AND IT WOULD BE BETTER IF YOU HAD ALL OF THE STUDYING DONE NOW, THEN WHEN YOU ARE OLDER. YOU WILL HAVE FUN WITH THE CAREER YOU CHOOSE AND IT WILL ALL BE WORTH IT.

Hannah

If I knew what I know now about college when I was in highschool, I would ask myself the question of what I really like. When I started college I was really undecided on a major. In highschool noone explained what kind of careers there are in this world. When i thought of careers I thought of basic ones; doctors, nurse,lawyer..etc. Being in college has made me do a lot of research of what I reallly love and possible careers doing what I really like.

Paige

I would tell myself to learn better study habits for science related classes and accept tutoring a lot sooner. I would also tell myself to watch out for those who say they are willing to help but are also out only to better themselves. I would also change some of the ways that i have approached certain situations and tell myself to look at all possible outcomes that could come from them. try to find a better way or more efficient way to handle things.

kayla

If I could go back in time to high school I'd tell my younger self to have more courage. I use courage very generally to cover many areas of my life. I'd say, "Kayla, have the courage to make more friends outside of your comfort zone and stand up for what you believe in. Do not allow that person to spew slurs at that kid in the hallway for any reason, much less because he is 'different'. Have the courage to join more groups and spread yourself thinner through packed schedules and volunteering. Believe me, you can handle it and it will prepare you. Take a second and have the courage to tell those around you, even the ones who do not know their effect, ‘Thank You' before it is too late, please. Learn from your mistakes and stay true to yourself because college is going to test you but if you practice these courageous habits you will grow further than you thought possible, and it will not end there. Have the courage to not make excuses and be the exemplary older sister you are. Have courage, Kayla. You will be phenomenal."

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would have one very important message for myself. I would tell myself to live more fully by being open to opportunities that come my way. Coming from a small town with little diversity, I was very shy growing up and was not exposed to different cultures. Today however, I am very fortunate to attend D'Youville College and live in the diverse city of Buffalo. I have been exposed to so many different ideas and ways of life, and they are all so beautiful to me. Most importantly, I have learned that there are more beliefs in the world besides mine. Therefore, there is more than one way to solve a given problem. Being open to different beliefs and opinions did not always come easy for me. It would have been helpful if I could have given myself such advice. Today, I am a more open person in general which has made me a more understanding person, who will be able to better care for my patients when I graduate as a nurse and later become a Family Nurse Practitioner.

Brian

The most important thing that I would tell myself before entering college would be that there will be many distractions, including choices and situations that you have never encountered before. While there will be a time and a place to allow these distractions to take hold, and experience many of the new things that college life has to offer, the major point is to keep your eye on the prize. You are going to college for a reason, to better yourself and hopefully your quality of life, and spending a good deal of money for the education you are receiving. Make sure you take advantage of that education by going to classes, asking sound questions, getting to know your professors where possible, and utilizing all of the tools and services the college provides in order to help you to succeed in getting your degree and reaching your goals. After all, you are paying for them, make sure you are getting the most for your money. And finally, develop a network of fellow students in your major, and join the campus student association that is involved with your major and future profession.

Kaitlyn

If I had to go back in time and give myself advice as a senior in high school I would tell myself that college is a lot harder than it looks and that it will be a struggle but will be well worth it in the end. I would tell myself to be more outgoing and participate in more college activities. I would tell myself that I will need to dedicate all of my time studying and doing homework. I would tell myself to be prepared for major changes in my life including relationships, friends, and family. College is most definitely a learning experience and is a time to learn more about yourself and what you are capable of. I would tell myself that there will be times when you think you'll fail and feel like giving up but you can't because you can do it and YOU WILL.

Chelsea

I would tell myself to take the time to develop a variety of study methods. I attended a small high school where I was considered one of the top students. I felt that the coursework was easy and hardly ever took the time to actually study for a test. Upon entering my freshman year of college, I assumed that college would be just as easy as high school. However, when my first college test came along I was rudely awoken from that dream. A variety of study methods would be helpful in college because a college ciriculum includes an aray of subjects. Each subject may require a different study method in order to do well on the test and memorize the difficult material.

Felicia

I would have focused more my senior year to prepare better for college. I attended an 2 year college getting my 2 year degree. I knew I wanted to be a nurse, however my gpa was not up to standards for a 4 year program. Now I am in the program and it is a lot of hard work. If I had to go back I dont believe I would because I believe that everything in life happens for a reason. I learned from my choices in life and that has made me a better person.

Mark

Have faith in yourself, you can do it.

Mark

I would tell my self to study and do good in high school. To use my full potential acedemically, so then i could have gotten more scholarships and wouldn't desperatly be looking for money to pay for college.

Sara

I have only been in college for three semesters, but I think I would have plenty to say if I could talk to myself as a high school senior. I would initially tell myself to enjoy and cherish the rest of high school, but know that college is indeed an exciting experience. I would also tell myself to make sure I order my books on time, and to study more for that first Anatomy lab practical. Beyond these little pieces of advice, I would tell myself to not let anything hold me back. I would give the advice to be more outgoing, in every aspect of college life. I would tell myself that while picking the right college is very important, a college experience is less about which school you attend and more about what you put into the experience. I would tell myself that being a commuter can make the transition to college life a little difficult. However, it would definitely help to get more involved on campus, join more clubs, and go to more campus events, especially during the first year. I would say that your experience is what you make of it.

Briana

Take classes in highschool that you think are going to be relative to what major you are going to take in college. Focus on study skills, and note taking capabilities. Do not use highschool as a time to have fun and blow off your grades, instead use it as a learning experience to prep yourself for college.

Melanie

If I could go back in time and talk to my high school self, I would tell myself to take college more seriously. I would make sure I knew that it was not as easy as high school was, and that if you want the good grades, you really need to put in the work. I would also tell myself to be a little more social when I got to college and make more friends from different groups. I would tell myself to socialize with all different people, rather than just the people that live on my floor and people that I met through/with them.

Megan

I would tell myself that it will be tough but, that "you can do it". You are hard working and focused, and the time will fly. Most importantly I would tell myself to enjoy the ride.

Lisa

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to pay more attention in college classes! Sometimes I find myself daydreaming and doodling during class, so when I comes time to studying for a test, I really have to put a lot more time and effort into my preparation. I would also gell myself to always go to professors and ask for help when you begin to feel like you're falling behind - don't wait until it's too late! Most professors are more than willing to go out of their way to help you and if they feel like you are putting a valid effort into their class, they will give you the benefit of the doubt. Also, find study groups! When other people are involved, they tend to motitvate you when you aren't feeling upto studying. They also give some outlet of socializing when you need a quick (or a long) break from the books! Lastly, stay determined! Keep a goal/picture in mind and don't stop until you get there.

Devan

Dear past Devan, I know that senior year is a difficult time and that you have a lot of things going on, but you need to focus. Really think about what you want to do with the rest of your life. You don't want to become a pastry chef, so stop with that nonsense. However, I know that you're stubborn and will not listen to me. So go ahead and apply to those culinary schools, but also take the time to research some other really great schools so that when the time comes to choose you will have numerous options at your fingertips. You'll assume that choosing the appropriate college is easy and will just fall into your lap, but it won't. I part of the reason you're hesitating about applying to all these schools is because you're uncertain about what you really want to do with your life. I would like to tell you to not be afraid and to put in the extra effort when it comes to your future. Finally, don't sit back and assume the world will come to you, you must go to it!

Megan

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself to either jump into college with both feet or not at all. I wish I would have focused more on school when I first attended college out of high school. I see young kids attending college now just barely passing and worried about the party tonight more. If you put yourself to it and work hard studying, your life will be easier than having to go back when you are older. When you attend college as a middle aged adult it is much harder for you to pass your classes due to brain functions (memory) and your life being filled with more distractions such as kids, job, household duties. My advise is to study hard, excel in all your classes, and succeed in granduating college while you are young and you will have the rest of your life to have fun and an education to go along with it.

Shaun

Stay focused. College life is different in numerous ways from high school, and it is very easy to become distracted. For most, it is the first time to be on your own and away from the control of your parents. A newly found freedom gives a sense of irresponsibility. However, having this attitude can and most likely will distract you and bring down your overall grades. It is easier to bring down your GPA than it is to bring it up. So during that first semester do not become distracted by frivilous events and stay focused on the whole reason you attend college in the first place, which is to gain an education and become an overall better person.

Nigel

If I could go back in time to my high school days I will advice my self to stay focus on my school work, quit roaming the hallways and meet assignment deadlines. I currently attend a 2 year college, so far college studies have been going smoothly, I know it is going to get intense soon. When I applied for college, most of my choices were to 4 year institutes. I was denied a seat in each institute but Bronx Community College. Dissapointment was not the word, no one was the blame but myself . In high school I spent very little amount of time studying, I took classes as a joke until I realized the reality when I walked up the stage for my high school diploma. If I could go back in time, I would have started to practice; time management, math skills, independency and worked on putting an end to laziness.

Bashiyra

If I could go back in time and give myself advice I would tell myself to get involved as much as possible. When applying to colleges, they want to see more than just good grades, they want well-rounded students. Being involved in the community is very important being an undergraduate, especially when moving on to a designated profession or graduate school because it will help build my resume, making me stand out from other students. College is very competitive and prospectors want to see leadership. Another thing I would tell myself is to make sure my grades are solid and if I am struggling, seek help and show improvement. Making connections with teachers is also important because they can help me out if I am showing that I care about my grades. The last piece of advice that I would give myself is to explore and take advantage of as many opportunities as possible. Show dedication to the career that I am seeking.

Kaitlin

If I could tell high school senior me about college, I would tell myself that there is absolutely no rush to graduate. When I was a high school senior and choosing classes for my first semester in college, I thought I had everything figured out. Fast forward 3 years, I am two classes away from an AA in Anthropology but I am enlisting in Cabrillo College's medical program for Radiology. There is no time limit on finding the correct career path for you, because life changes. I wish I could have told myself to take classes that interested me instead of hurrying to get a degree. Being able to enjoy the college experinece and find myself and what I want to do would have helped me see what I really wanted for a career earlier.

Madeline

If i could go back to my senior year I would do it all over again. My grades were the best they have ever been but I would change not studying everyday for the SAT's and not applying for any scholarships. I knew the school i was looking into was farley expencise, but I was a senior and I just wanted to go to college! I also knew that D'Youville gave scholarships for the SAT's. I didnt make the cut the first or second time,especially because i have test anxiety. My senior year was a great year minus those two flaws. So if I could go back I would do exactly what i am doing, and apply for scholarships.

kyle

visit the school more and get familar with your teachers

If I could go back in time, I would have forced myself to study more as a freshman. As a high school student immersed in the plethora of extracurricular clubs and activities available at my high school, I had an easy transition into college by getting involved. As a freshman in college, I got TOO involved in what my school had to offer, and my academics suffered. I now realize the importance of balancing "hitting the books" and managing a rewarding social college experience, I just wish I would have learned how to do this sooner.

Derek

First and formost make sure you sleep along with study for your ACT. Second make sure you recieve every college that says they will pay all your tuitian in writing. Third do not be afraid to decide to stay home for awhile to save money. Fourth MUNCHIES ARE KEY TO COLLEGE LIFE. And finally ask that girl your in love with if they want you to stay instead of just kissing her one last time and leaving thinking she does not feel the same way for that moment could have saved you a lot of later problems in an instant.

Denise

If I could go back, I would have gotten better grades, been more involved in my school and not waited to experience college. Don't assume the future will take care of itself. Your senior year work hard and get good grades, plan for your future. Your senior year should be fun, be actively involved in shaping the next step of your life. I would tell myself to focus and not to get distracted by all the nonsense in high school. College is so much better!