D'Youville College

« See more reviews of D'Youville College

In order to truly have a worthwhile testimony, I must allow myself to experience growing pains. By growing pains I mean the uncomfortable but rewarding act of opening my mind to new emotions, new people, new experiences, new views. Even though my college experience was a mostly positive one, I learned so much during my time there. I feel that I have grown so much as a person since going to college. I am not just talking about the course I am studying but the best thing to come out of college for me was that I learned a lot about myself, college was really a journey of self discovery for me. Knowing the fact that I have to support my family back home in Ethiopia and finishing school here without any destruction was one of the valuable and the time management I have learnt from my college expericance. Although college wasn't easy for me financially and I certainly didn't have the busy social life that most students do for me going to college was one of the most positive things I have ever done in my life and I don't regret it one bit.

I have gotten so much out of my college experience so far. I love it! Even though I am only a freshman, college has been challenging and yet, so rewarding at the same time. It has taught me independence, dedication, perserverance and alot about the person I am becoming. I intend on becoming a nurse at the end of these four years. This has always been a dream of mine. I have seen my uncle on life support pass away. I was there at both my grandparents bedsides as they passed on. I witnessed good nurses and I experienced less than impressive healthcare given to my family. I knew I wanted to go into nursing to make a difference and treat others as I wish my family were treated when they were ill. Some things you learn by living other things you learn by going to college. This college experience is so valuable to me because without the education I am recieving today and will be receiving over the next three years, I couldnt be the best nurse I could be. In closing, a college education is an experience I will always treasure.

I attended Le Moyne College for two years then decided to transfer to D'Youville College for the remainder of my college education. I really enjoyed Le Moyne I met some wonderful people there that I am sure will be lifelong friends. It was difficult to leave because I had really enjoyed life there but in terms of my education I felt that D'Youville was a better fit for me. I decided to attend DYC because of their renowned Physician Assistant program. At Le Moyne I was studying biology with a pre-health concentration but I didn't feel that I was taking courses that were in touch with what I truly wanted to do. At D'Youville I feel that I am involved in classes that will insure I will become a well rounded Physician Assistant. At first it was hard to adjust to life at a new school but its small and welcoming campus instantly comforted me and allowed me to meet fellow students fairly quickly. I am glad that I choose D'Youville it is a lovely college and I feel that it is the best place for me to achieve my educational goals.

I have recieved so many wonderful experiences in just one semester of attending D'Youville college. Since recieving confirmation of my acceptance into the PA program at D'Youville, it has given me the opportunity to achieve my dreams as a PA. My college experience attending D'Youville has been truely exceptional. D'Youville is committed and designed to helping you succeed. I have exceeded my expectations and have grown intellectually as a student. D'Youville has been so valuable to attend for many reasons. Most colleges and universities class sizes are not as small and aren't able to take the time to get to know their students. At D'Youville small class sizes allows for individualized attention and rapport with proffessors. You feel welcomed and feel like part of a family. Many of the proffessors hold doctorial credentials and are extremely educated giving students the highest quality in education. D'Youville is a friendly atmosphere and are ready to help you reach your goals and dreams. I can't wait to see what my futureholds!

I would look at the variety of academic programs that the college offers first before taking any further step. It's the best to choose the program that I like to do by heart. As you know, today economics is going down; it's also decreasing jobs. Therefore, it is ok to choose the program that is short and has a high demand job. It's better to have a job rather than unemployment. The most important thing is financial aid. Everybody can borrow money form loaners but not everybody wants to pay it back. Why they don't want to pay back? You can name it easily. In healthcare field we always have this term that preventing is always better than treating. Therefore, we should calculate, make plan, estimate before borrow money. Especially, we have to making sure that the money that we spend and borrow is worthy for every cent. Parents should spend more time with children no matter how busy and difficult life is because at the second that you think your children do not need you; it may be the second the second that they need you a lot.

College has not only expanded my education, but it has also taught me the importance and meaning of true friendship. In the beginning of my first semester at D'Youville, friend from high school was killed in a car accident. On the day of her viewing, I received a call while sitting at the Porterview Dining Room, stating that my mother was just in an accident and was on her way to the hospital via ambulance. I have never felt so much support from a group of people than that of the D'Youville community. Not only have friends from Marguerite Residence Hall given me the strength to push forward, but so has the staff. It is the job of the employees to know the names of the students, but they go above and beyond the expectations. The annual service trip to New Orleans, Louisiana this winter with friends has also taught me to be appreciative of what I have in my life, and to be thankful for the little things in life. Although I have mastered a 4.0 through the difficult times, I have more than education to value at D'Youville College.

Out of the one semester I have completed at DYC, I have picked up a of couple things. For one, DYC, in fact, cares about the students, especially freshman, and really puts in the effort to make their transition from high school to college as easy and fun as possible. From all the different events, activity nights, and knowledgeable faculty to help you along the way, DYC makes you feel like you are apart of a community and not just some random number. While I only part-time dorm at DYC, I have had the chance to meet new friends I probably never would have if I did not do so. Small class sizes and specific programs makes it easier to meet people and stay close to them. I believe meeting and gaining new friends is essential when starting in a new place. Finally, I have learned that hard work pays off. You only get out of something as much effort as you put in. My 3.8GPA for the first semester is proof of this. All of the things I have picked up at DYC are valuable to me because they have made me a more well-rounded person.

My experience at D'Youville has helped me to grow in independence, confidence and self-esteem. I transferred to D'Youville last year after attending University at Buffalo. From the day I attended the orientation, I have felt that the teachers, faculty and other students truly care about me and the person I am. This has allowed me to excel in my classes and learn more than I ever felt possible in my chosen field of Occupational Therapy. My teachers encourage participation and are always there to help give support and guidance when necessary. They challenge my abilities and never make me feel that my questions are stupid. My field work experiences have been rewarding and I know it requires a lot of time and effort on their to make this a reality. The friends I have made at D'Youville will be friends for life. We challenge and support each other in class and out of class. I am confident that when I graduate from D'Youville, I will be very well prepared for my career. I am proud to say I attend D'Youville College.

College allowed me to see myself as an adult more. I am given the freedom to pick my schedule not only for classes, but sleeping and socializing in the dorms. I manage school and work back home, while driving myself back and forth having to pay for my car and gas. Now I have to look out for my own safety and make choices when my parents are not there. D'Youville has different people than the all-girl high school I attended, so I have learned to have different kinds of friends, from all over the country and different backgrounds. Learning how different families work has opened up my eyes to thinking about what type of parent I want to be in the future. College is not just about the classes and school work. Those come naturally to me and while the knowledge interests me, I'm not going to look back at my college years and think of body tissues and Freud. College is valuable because it is another step between childhood and adulthood when teenagers have to realize it's time to be mature. Post-college isn't far away.

Attending college was the best decision I could have made. My experiences at D’Youville College are those that I will never forget. I decided to attend this college because it had a great pharmacy program. By choosing to go to this school, I knew I could get my doctor of pharmacy degree in 6 years and at the same location. However what I did not expect to find at D’Youville were great professors, counselors, mentors, advisors and friends. All these new people that I met have impacted my life in a way that I could not have imagined. During the three semesters I have been there, I have not once felt alone. There was always someone there to talk to. It was very easy to make new friends. I learned many new things about myself. One of these things being that I was not lost or wrong in my decision making process. I knew what I wanted out of life and what my goals were but I was confused about how to achieve them. Through D’Youville, I attained a job with Trio’s Upward Bound program at D’Youville College as a mentor and tutor.