D'Youville College

« See more reviews of D'Youville College

If I could go back in time to high school I'd tell my younger self to have more courage. I use courage very generally to cover many areas of my life. I'd say, "Kayla, have the courage to make more friends outside of your comfort zone and stand up for what you believe in. Do not allow that person to spew slurs at that kid in the hallway for any reason, much less because he is 'different'. Have the courage to join more groups and spread yourself thinner through packed schedules and volunteering. Believe me, you can handle it and it will prepare you. Take a second and have the courage to tell those around you, even the ones who do not know their effect, ‘Thank You' before it is too late, please. Learn from your mistakes and stay true to yourself because college is going to test you but if you practice these courageous habits you will grow further than you thought possible, and it will not end there. Have the courage to not make excuses and be the exemplary older sister you are. Have courage, Kayla. You will be phenomenal."

There are many goals one wishes to achieve in a life time. Being able to go to college to further my education in order to get a career was one of mine. Even though I am only a Freshmen in college, I have already gained so much wisdom and learned so many lessons that I will always be able to carry with me throughout my life. I value every minute that I am able to go there and learn more about the world I live in, and the carreer I wish to one day have. College experiences are such that they are never forgotten. So far in college I have learned many lessons. I have learned to never take for granted all I have in my life, even though I myself have been through many obstacles before finally reaching my destination at the college I currently attend. I have learned to make new friends while keeping the old. However, I have also learned to balance that social life with the education aspect of the life I went to college for. I am taking advantage of every minute at college and the time I make to give back to the community.

First, I applied in July 2010 for the Spring semester which starts January 18,2011. I graduated from Bryant & Startton in 2006. Since then I have made many attempts to find a perminant job placement. However due to my kids and the approprate job schedule for this field requirements , this resulted in being unemployed. Times are tough and since I'm home with my two little ones, I decided to go back to school. I viewed what a few Colleges had to offer and I chose to persue with D'Youville College. So in two weeks I will be starting a change of study in the BSN Nursing program. Once completed all course of studies ,I 'd like to move forward and find a job and settle in helping and treating others whom couldn't help thereselves.Find a job where I can pretty much have a set schedule gearing towards my needs as well. Hopefully to pull my family out of poverity and just live comfortably not looking to much over my shoulders. Thanks for giving me the time to think and know why this schooling so important to me and my life!

My college experience is fantastic. My first class set the bar for all other classes to come and opened my eyes to the fact that I wasn’t in high school anymore. Being a not so average teenager, I decided to spend my summer learning by being an intern part time as well as taking Chemistry as summer class. Since I was at a new school, a few days before class started I went and located my classroom and all my required materials. On the first day I sat down and the teacher walked in. She took roll and said it would be the last time because she didn’t care if we showed up; that was on our shoulders. She passed out the syllabus, went over her normal routine and just jumped into notes. One student asked her a question and politely said her name like we would in high school. She replied call me by my first name we aren’t in high school. She never required us to do our homework, just recommended it and never once acted like a high school babysitter. It taught me to be accountable for myself. College is the Great Awakening.

My advise that I would give to parents and students about finding the right college is to make sure you look for the major you want. That is the most important thing about looking for the right college. Make sure you also check to see if you like the campus. Do you want a big school or small school? If you want to live on campus, make sure that you are comfortable with the area, and if there are activities to do outside of classes, so you don't get bored. Try to get into social activities so you can meet new people. Most importantly, if you go to a college, you can go undecided, because once you go into a field, you may notice that there are alot of different careers you can do. If you have a major already decided, make sure the school you want has all the requirements for the major and clubs to join, so you can meet people that are also in your major. There are alot of universities and colleges everywhere. Try to do your research before you choose one, so you know if the college is the right one for you.

I would tell students and parents to talk to people that have attended the college. The school's advertisement is not the way to judge a good school. Ask people who have attended the school: "Did you feel prepared in your carreer when you graduated?" This is a very important question that can tell you if its the right school for you. The best school should have a safe location, an average tuition, and helpful staff that prepare you the best they can for the real career world. You should also look into how the school transfers credits. Some schools will not accept certain credits from different colleges. That is a terrible thing when you complete a degree, and find the next school you go to will not accept your credits. I would also tell them If you do not know anyone who went to the school then make sure you attend an open house, take a tour, and look at multiple options to base your decision on. This is one of the most important decisions you can make, and you do not want to go into it lightly.

My college experience at D'Youville has reignited my academic motivation. Some of my high school years and the year at my previous college took away my desire to attend school but this year I have found it and I enjoy school again, something that doesn't seem important unless you have experienced disdain of it. My classes are interesting and I want to study not just to get a good test grade, but to learn things for my own interest. I feel I am being trained for my career, not just attending college because I'm supposed to. I enjoy getting to be in the city more often and see a lifestyle I didn't see in the suburbs. It allows me to get more involved in things going on downtown. I thought my sports career had ended as soon as I wasn't good enough for the D-1 school I attended, but transferring to a D-3 school has allowed my to continue playing soccer and baseball at a competitive level. Sports helped me make a lot of friends and they have given me a school spirit I couldn't otherwise have found.

I would first go back and tell myself to be ready to work hard. As a high school senior, I applied for a rigorous program at D'Youville; early assurance Pre-Pharmacy. I knew from the beginning it would be alot of work, but I underestimated just how much work it was going to be. My first couple weeks at college, I was like, "Jeez, this isn't bad at all, I have all this extra time to go to the gym, and have movie nights with friends. This semester will be super earsy." However, in my thrid week I had a rude awakening. I no longer had time for myself, or friends, or so I thought. I had to learn quickly to adjust to the work load, but to also make time for myself and friends. I learned to manage my time, to balance work and play. The second thing I would go back to tell myself is to be prepared to make sacrifices. When you get to college, there are so many choices you must make. I learned pretty quickly that there would be times that i would have to sacrifice my scoial life for my school work.

I have met a lot of people form different cultures and with different backgrounds. I have also came across a lot of instructors that have given me a lot of knowledge and understanding. I thought it would be really hard to come back to school at my age, but I was wrong. D'Youville has shown me that if you apply yourself and keep current with the work : that it is possible to obtain a degree. The classeroom instructors allow you to eat during class as long as it does not interfere with the other students learning. It helps a lot when you come from work to school without having dinner and you can sit through class and still get your lesson. The books necessary for the class are readily available way ahead of the start of class. The process of ordering the books you need are very easy. I would highly reccommend the program and the school to others that need to get their degree through an advanced class . The experience that I am having at D'Youville college wil be with me for a lifetime.

AS YOU JOURNEY IN LIFE, ONE OF THE MANY STEPS THAT YOU WILL TAKE IS TO PURSUE AN EDUCATION. SOME OF THE THINGS THAT YOU WILL REQUIRE IS A SPECIFIC CARRER,YOU MIGHT NOT KNOW EXACTLY WHAT YOU WANT AT FIRST BUT IT WOULD SURELY HELP IF YOU HAD A CERTAIN CAREER IN MIND. I HAVE REALIZED SOME THINGS , NOW THAT I AM OLDER, ONE DOESNT TRULY REALIZE WHAT THEIR PURPOSE IN LIFE IS UNTIL YOU GO OUT THERE AND FIND IT, LIFE IS MEANT TO BE ENJOYED AND LIVED WELL, THERE WILL BE DISSAPOINTMENTS BUT WHO IN THIS WORLD DOESNT GO THROUGH THAT ,TRY TO DO WHAT YOU LOVE, WHILE SERVING OTHERS , BECAUSE IT WILL BRING YOU PEACE AND COMFORT AND WILL MAKE OTHERS FEEL GOOD ALSO. TRY YOUR BEST TO DO WELL IN SCHOOL, YOU ARE NOT PAYING FOR COLLEGE AND IT WOULD BE NICE TO TRY TO LEARN AND ENJOY EVERY MOMENT OF COLLEGE AS YOU CAN, BECAUSE YOUR ONLY YOUNG ONCE AND IT WOULD BE BETTER IF YOU HAD ALL OF THE STUDYING DONE NOW, THEN WHEN YOU ARE OLDER. YOU WILL HAVE FUN WITH THE CAREER YOU CHOOSE AND IT WILL ALL BE WORTH IT.