D'Youville College

« See more reviews of D'Youville College

From my personal experiance, the learning I haved recieved is to stay focus for the end results. I learned from swicthing majors and getting caught up in day to day activity has hurt my future career by making it further away. This time I will put school first . They way to it is to make a scheadule that is studying in libraries before and after each class at least an hour for each class and have a designted time on the weekend just to go study. This way outside interfance can not get to me as easily. I will make time for my wife and child but that will be during certaint times and we have allready had a family to discuss these times with them and came to an agreement for they are my support and my schooling will help my child in the future. As well most friends that I stay involved with are in families trying to get a degree to. This will help keep the end goal in mind caouse they will have the same end goal. This is college has taught me on how to stay focus on the results.

Elizabeth, I am now 31 years old, and looking back on it, I have some advice I would like you to consider. I understand the pressures of graduating highschool and going on to college, but don't do it for mom, dad, or anyone else. You need to do it for yourself. It is okay if it takes you longer than your friends to find your path. Trust in yourself, that in the future you will pick a career that makes you proud of who you are. Enjoy being young, it only happens once. Try not to stress about money. Do yourself a favor and do not go to school if you are not ready, because you have racked up an enormous amount of student loan debt, but with that debt, you have become more well rounded and an educated woman, which can only help you on your future path to becoming a nurse. You are a great woman! Beleive in yourself and allow yourself to make mistakes and learn from them. You will figure it out, trust me!! I am proud of the woman you are today, and the woman you will become!

College has taught me a lot about myself: who I am, what I want to be, what I want to do with my life, what is important to me, the tasks I need to accomplish in order to succeed and what type of people I want to surround myself with. It has given me the opportunity to travel abroad, volunteer and help my community, participate in events and meet people I will remember for the rest of my life. There were nights I spent in the library studying for stressful exams, and there were also nights I spent with friends laughing so hard my stomach hurt. Life lessons about friends, work and school were scattered throughout my time in college, making me a more well rounded and understanding person. Yes, my college experience has given me the academics I need to succeed, but it has given me much more than that. I anticipated obtaining a degree, what I did not anticipate was the growth aspect of who I have become. College has shaped who I am, and that is what made it so valuable to attend.

When I first started my first semester at Texas State Technical College, I learned that in order to advance through college, you have to work through it. You can slack off any longer, especially how I did in high school. In order to advance my way through college, I had to make sure I did my homework. I learned from myself that I have to make sure that the answers on my homework are always correct. I learned that I have to make sure every paper gets turned it. I could not take a zero in college. I could just not. I learned that I have to manage my time more meaning school first, and play later. I also set myself that if I don't properly finish that homework, no fun until the work is done. It was a great experience for me. I had my ups and downs and of course, I am human. I made sure I did everything well on those assignments and made sure I studied for that test. It all paid off when I got a letter stating that I had made the Dean's List. It will always pay off in the end.

Through this college experience I learned alot. When you have friends that attend other schools and they tell you their experiences at school, I kind of get jealous. Then I realize as the semester went by, I'm glad there isn't so much going on my campus, because it would be a distraction to my studies. My school is small,but it still feels like you don't know anyone. What helps though is that those you are in a major with will be the ones you will be with to the end. That is valuable to me, because we are able to form this bond and help eachother with work in any way we can. I attended a school prior to this one and I had all my fun there, but in the end my grades weren't that good. I began to lose focus as to why I was in school. I'm not saying one shoudn't have a social life, but make sure your school work outweighs the time you put into partying and hanging out with friends. Friends come and go, but your education marks life for you. I've never given up also.

Dear past Devan, I know that senior year is a difficult time and that you have a lot of things going on, but you need to focus. Really think about what you want to do with the rest of your life. You don't want to become a pastry chef, so stop with that nonsense. However, I know that you're stubborn and will not listen to me. So go ahead and apply to those culinary schools, but also take the time to research some other really great schools so that when the time comes to choose you will have numerous options at your fingertips. You'll assume that choosing the appropriate college is easy and will just fall into your lap, but it won't. I part of the reason you're hesitating about applying to all these schools is because you're uncertain about what you really want to do with your life. I would like to tell you to not be afraid and to put in the extra effort when it comes to your future. Finally, don't sit back and assume the world will come to you, you must go to it!

I would advise them to choose the college that they feel is right for the student. It must be the students choice or they will feel miserable the entire time that they are attending that college. It is something that must be thought over very carefully and thoughts of the future must be kept in mind. The student must think about how they need to make the right choice to ensure that what they want for their lives and future will happen. And they must realize that things change, people change, and times change and as the saying goes they must "roll with the flow." After a semester or a year they may not like the school anymore or want to major in the same thing as they started out with anymore, but the important thing for the parent to do is to be supportive and to not make the student feel pressured and guilty for wanting to change their mind. It is what the student wants that should matter the most because it is their future and happiness that is at stake.

The only advice I have to give to parents and prospective college students is to make sure you pick a college in an area that you like and can live in. Make sure students that you try everything at least once and never be afraid to come out of your shell. College is a new, exciting experience and can be a marvelous one as long as you do not live in fear. Always make sure your financial aid is done on time and get everything explained to you so that you do not get into trouble later and then have to struggle to make up money to pay for school. Parents, your child is growing into an adult now, let them try to solve their problems on their own and only step in if it is absolutely necessary. But also don't forget that your child is indeed still your child, and that this whole college experience is a new, exciting and also the scariest time of their lives. And your child will still need your advice, guidance, love, support and yes, sometimes, some cash as well!

I have gotten a great deal of experience from my college experience. Right now I am working towards getting my AA in Early Childhood education. In these classes I have learned how to not only be a better care taker, but a better parent. At Pierce we are taught to look at the whole child and get to know them each individually. Doing this makes every child feel important and loved. Instead of treateing a child as if they are bad, we look and see what the source of there bad behavior is. Then we can correct the problem and really help the child. I have a three year old daughter and these classes have taught me how to be more understanding with her when issues come up. Knowing the different stages children go through while they grow older, helps us also understand why they are acting out. As a teacher having understanding for children is one of the most important things. If we don't understand them, some children can get left behind, and that in not acceptable.

My college experience has changed my life forver. I have learned to grow up and be responsible for myself in th world outside of my neighborhood. I have learned a lot in the classroom as well but I think the main lessons I have learned since going to college have been outside the classroom. I always felt like a I was doing something to get ready for my future, work hard in high school to get into college, work hard in college to get into a professional program, etc. It seemed like there was always another step I was working towards and my future goals were so far away. Just lately I have realized that now that I am in my professional program, my future is here and all my hard work is finally paying off. I learned that everything I do today is going to effect me and shape the rest of my life. There is no next step, this is it and then I am on my own. College has taught me this lesson that I need to e responsible now so I dont mess anything up in the future.