D'Youville College

« See more reviews of D'Youville College

I thought I was a good student in high school, but I've realized I've grown so much already, just in three semesters. I have such good work ethic, I'm devoted, determined, and I know what I want for my future, which is why its easy to have the drive to be diligent. I've learned how I best learn, and how I can help other people do the same. I am independent as a student, which has carried through to being a daughter. When I'm home, I now have drive to help out. I don't settle. I'm getting the most out of these four years of undergrad, and hopefully will do the same for the 3 years of grad school. Learning comes from the classroom, definitely, but as much as people say it, I hadn't realized how much I've gotten from being away from home, friends, and the person who means the most to me. Looking back, the time has flown by, and in the moment I hadn't realized or been appreciative of who I am becoming, but when that ah-ha moment hit, that's all it took.

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to pay more attention in college classes! Sometimes I find myself daydreaming and doodling during class, so when I comes time to studying for a test, I really have to put a lot more time and effort into my preparation. I would also gell myself to always go to professors and ask for help when you begin to feel like you're falling behind - don't wait until it's too late! Most professors are more than willing to go out of their way to help you and if they feel like you are putting a valid effort into their class, they will give you the benefit of the doubt. Also, find study groups! When other people are involved, they tend to motitvate you when you aren't feeling upto studying. They also give some outlet of socializing when you need a quick (or a long) break from the books! Lastly, stay determined! Keep a goal/picture in mind and don't stop until you get there.

Some advice I would give to parents and students to decide what college to attend would be to visit several colleges. You have to decide whether you like the atmosphere of the college and whether you want to be in a rural or urban setting. Also, the students has to decide how close or far away from home she wants to be. The student also has to look at what the college offers and what the classes are like. Does the student want to be in a small class or in a large one? Another thing that they student and parents should look at is the crime rate surrounding the school. Also, the price of the school and the availability of financial aid and scholarships. The student has to look at what kind of activities the school offers. In order to make the most of the college experience the student should join clubs and get involved in the college. I also suggest that the student dorms. It is a great experience and gives them some freedom.

Attending college has taught me alot. As a Sophomore in college, I feel like I already know what I want to do in my future. The teachers have helped me figure out exactly what I need to do in order to achieve my goals. When I first started college, I knew what I wanted to study but I wasn't sure what I wanted to do with my degree. I took a class called Psychology as a Profession and it helped me set my future straight. Along with figuring out my goals, I have also gained alot of independence from living away form home. I am completely supporting myself and living on my own. I have made many friends at school and have a few close professors that have helped me greatly with any problems that have faced and whom I really trust. I am truly happy that I chose to attend D'Youville College. It was my first choice and I would do it over again in a heart beat. It's a great school and wil do anything to help students fufill their dreams.

The first and foremost thing I have gotten out of the last 8 months of classes is this new knowledge I am learning in this program of business management. There are so many facets to this and so far it's been interesting and wonderful. I have been wanting to come back to school for such a long time, and I just never had been able to do so, but when this program came along I finally, after 13 years, found the opportunity presented to me to further my education thus allowing me the even greater opportunity to a better job, with better pay. I have always been interested in learning, something you should do every single day, but this was my chance at something special, something I could do for myself and something no one can ever take away from me. I would have to say that to me, this is the chance of a lifetime. I always intended to go back, but not once in the last 13 years, did I ever have that chance and now..here it is!

There are two very important things I have received from this college. The first is direction for my career in healthcare and the second is a better understanding of who I am as a person. I have learned that a career is not everything and that people are what make life worth living. Despite this epiphany, I still remain committed to my program. I realize that this degree can offer me a future that I did not have before. I am willing to accept the challenge of being a healthcare provider while facing the uncertainty of health care reform. I plan to incorporate into my practice the humanity that this program has taught me . I feel I will be very competent because I have learned a lot about myself. This knowledge will allow me to understand others in a way I never have before. It is a wonderful thing when a program can provide you with tools to be an ever evolving person not only in your career but also in your life.

If I could go back in time and give myself advice I would tell myself to get involved as much as possible. When applying to colleges, they want to see more than just good grades, they want well-rounded students. Being involved in the community is very important being an undergraduate, especially when moving on to a designated profession or graduate school because it will help build my resume, making me stand out from other students. College is very competitive and prospectors want to see leadership. Another thing I would tell myself is to make sure my grades are solid and if I am struggling, seek help and show improvement. Making connections with teachers is also important because they can help me out if I am showing that I care about my grades. The last piece of advice that I would give myself is to explore and take advantage of as many opportunities as possible. Show dedication to the career that I am seeking.

Being far away from my family and also a single mother who is trying to make things right for her son, I feel as if I was welcomed into a new family when I started attending D'Youville College. The relationship between my professors and I as well as counselors and advisors have made me feel like part of a big family and not just a student. The professors know me by my first name and sometimes advice me through the difficult times of my life with being a single mother, a part time worker, and a full time student. They are very understand and are willing to work with students to help them succeed throughout the semester. The student-teacher relationship is of value to me the most because it’s what helps the student succeed in the long run and prepare them for their future career. Every student appreciates that a professional faculty member takes time in their busy schedules to have one-on-one advisement and support.

So far my college experience has been a roller coaster ride. I feel like I have had a difficult time trying to figure out how I'm going to pay for school and books. I feel like I was accepted into a program then to be told that the classes are not available so I would have to "sit tight" for a year until the classes I needed were available. Then I got interested in another field of study and I am able to start these classes right away. Like I said earlier, I am also worried about my college bills. I come from a very low income family and while they can't help with the financial aspect of school they helped me realize that I needed a good college education in order to get a better life and get out of the ghetto. The neighborhood I grew up in was a good area for kids and is slowing turning into a terrible area to live in and I look forward to allow my great education to propel me into a successful career.

my experience of collage has made me a better person. i have become organized, professional and determained that i will see the light at the end of the tunnel. college helps you meet all kinds of people, make friends for life and some of the people you meet can help you with your jouney and future goals. everthough college helps you to get a better education and to find that wonderful job so you can live a comfortable life. my life as a college student has been the best years of my life that words cant describe. there has been some set backs with tuition and scrapping up the money just to pay for tuition, but it has taught me to be strong and how to budget my money. college may have gave me life experience, but it has given me the information i need to know in the work place, so that i can become an effective healthcare manager i need to be in the future so that i can make a difference in this world.