D'Youville College

« See more reviews of D'Youville College

I got A friend or two, an experience or two, a job or two, and a path to follow through. I got stress along the way, lived there day by day, and was hospitalized in the month of may. I got excessive fees, experienced rough seas, and A's, B's, and C's. I got a W or two, accepted in a club or two, and was gifted a suit or two. I got promoted at work, the Language Lab is where I lurk, and faculty parking is a great perk. I got a key to the lock, have become apart of the flock, and I must say Brevard Community College ROCKS! I got a laugh or two, a scholarship or two, a privilege or two, and goal or two. I got a wonderful diploma plaque, a black robe hanging off my rack, and a strong will to come back. I got a feeling that BCC is a wonderful community that I plan to return to to teach developmental mathematics after I obtain my bachelor's degree and beyond.

Last semester was my first time in school in over eight years and the first time ever, that I set goals. I created a plan, worked diligently, and for the first time I made a 4.0 GPA. I appreciate each class and use it as an opportunity for personal growth. I have gained confidence and a feeling of empowerment. In my Success in College class I learned time management skills and how to use available resourses. I discovered that I do not really hate math, in fact I enjoy it. I learned in Psychology that my future in-laws really are. crazy. My parents and family are so supportive and proud of me. I have a closer bond and more in common with my sister who is studying to become a nurse. I am setting a good example for my two year old son and improving our quality of life. Through education I can make a difference in my life, those around me, and my community.

As a student and a single parent, my advice would be to find something affordable but reputable. Working on my second bachelor's now, when students are first graduating from high school, many but not all students, dont understand that a lot of financial aid is not free and eventually it will have to be paid back. So dont overspend. The are many colleges and universities that have plently of programs, extra curricular activities, some may be small or large, depending on your personal preference. Students that may be from small towns or small schools have to think about the culture shock of going to a larger university. Students that want to go away to school to get the "FULL" college experience, make sure you are mentally ready. Its a lot of work and becoming home sick is a definite possibilty. My best advice is take your time in choosing.

Since I have been to D'youville, I have grown so much as a person. Going away to school, allowed me to become more independent and more confident in my decision. I have also become more socially outgoing, which has helped me make more friends and get along better with others. Academically, I've struggled in certain subjects but through those struggle I learned a lot. One of those things I have learned is not cry over one subject. I learned to live in the moment and not let my school work to effect me emotionally. D'youville itself, has small classes and which allows more one on one time and I think that is very important. It is a very science based colleges so I have been introduced to a lot of different fields. Since the school is located in the city, there is a lot of opportunity to interact with other school and what they offer.

When growing up a student has a picture in their head of what college is and most likely that is the type of college they are aspiring to be a part of. Picking your college is one of the most important choices you will make in your life because college forms who who are. Most people do not think about this but if someone chooses an urban campus school and someone chooses a school where their campus is the biggest part of the town both of the students will grow to be very different. When deciding on a school the student needs to choose the college that they believe will turn them into the person they want to be They can do this by talking to students who go to the schools that they look at. Ask the current students at the college what they think about the college because that is where a prospective student will find the most truth.

My experiences with D'youville College has been invaluable towards my growth as both a professional and responsible human being. I've learned much more than just academic skills, like how to communicate effectively with a diverse environment of people, and the ethical and moral standards required of people in the health care field. The coursework is very challenging, and requires an extensive amount of hard work, but I love the feeling of satisfaction I get from completing it. I know that everything I put into it now will serve to benefit me in the future. The small class sizes and personal touch I've received from D'youville has contributed a lot to my success as a student. I feel confident that I will go on to lead a rich and fulfilling professional life thanks in part to the caring faculty and staff here at D'youville.

Wow! It seems like only yesterday my mother had my lunch packed, and bookbag ready to leave for school. I attended a small, public school and could not wait to get to college. Well, here I am, a Freshman student at Meridian Community College in Meridian, Mississippi. I am going to be honest, my first day I was quite nervous; however, as time went on I began to enjoy meeting new faces, as well as learning the new ciricullum. After long days and nights of studying, I proudly ended my first semester with a 4.0 GPA; however, without the determined teachers at MCC, this could not have been possible. Meridian Community College has a wonderful faculty who has made my first semester fulfilling! Although i plan to attend a Universtiy soon to furthur my education, I can proudly say the MCC has given me a valuable college experience.

At 25 years old working in the medical field as an assistant to a General Practitioner, I felt as if there was more I could accomplish and had a real calling towards nursing. The docotor I worked for also told me that I had missed my calling and needed to go back to school although, due to my age and the fact that I had not taken all the math and sciences necessary to apply to nursing schools, I did not know if that was possible. However D'Youville College allowed me to work for what I wanted, I applied to their Career Discovery Program and took a skills assessment test to find where I stood. After a year of working very hard I was accepted into the Nursing Program and hold a GPA of 3.5, without D'Youville College giving me a chance I may not have discovered what my real passion is, Nursing and caring for others.

If I could go back in time and give advice to myself in high school, I would say to go to college right away and do not wait. Life can get in the way of school and even taking a small time off can lead to a longer time than expected. Another piece of advice I would give is to not be shy. There are a lot of students experiencing the same emotions and struggles that you are. I am a nursing student and a nurse has to work as a team with other nurses and medical staff. Learning to communicate with other students and working with them helps prepare students for the real world working environment. A third piece of advice would be to engage and interact with your professors. Professors can be strict with grading but I have found most are willing to give extra help in ensuring that you learn the material.

I have been attending college for the last five years. It has been difficult because I am married and have two young daughters. I will have my AA next semester and will be transferring to a university in fall. Going to college has been very hard and has taught me that nothing good comes easy. I have been diligent in my studies and the experience has revealed to me how a dedicated person I am. I have questioned my goals in college many times, but I believe that it is still in my wife's and my two daughters best interest to stay in college. Since my work has paid off and I will be at a university next semester, I am more determined than ever to stay focused on finishing college. Going to college has not only been valuable to me but also to my family, since I am the first in my family to go to college.