Richmond, IN
Earlham College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Earlham College

Karl

It is a very nice college did the virtual tour of it and it looks very nice and I hope that I can go there to learn art education so I can be an art teacher.

Dana

I love this college so much!! However, this school does have its weaknesses and it's not a school for everyone. This is not a place for people big on sports or those who wish to experience Greek life. That being said, I don't believe that you'd find a more welcoming, diverse, and warm environment. There's definitely room for improvement, but the students have such an active role in doing things, and that continually inspires me to do better myself.

Caroline

I love Earlham College! Everyone in the community is super hardworking, kind, and involved (both on and off campus). There is amazing diversity on campus in every area except politics, and the faculty is fantastic. Classes are challenging, and there are plenty of extracurricular and research opportunities (even for freshmen). The Joseph Moore Museum is a great place to work, and other on-campus jobs are very accommodating to student schedules and interests.

Alexandra

Earlham College is a nice, picturesque college. It is very small and generally the people are all really understanding. There is a real sense of community that is supportive and will really speak out if the students feel as if something is wrong and needs to be fixed immediately. The education at Earlham tries to incorporate learning in and out of the classroom.

Vanessa

It tough to set in stone my overall opinion. My favorite aspect of the school is the size; you are bound to find a familiar face anywhere you go. My dislike would be the political tension. They very much promote just one side of the story and neglect the other. It'd say its my only concern because it has caused a sense of unsafely among the community.

Katherine

Think about what is rewarding, not what is interesting. Do you want to deal with the philosophy of life, or do you want to help people directly? Do you want to contemplate the theory of how history affects the present day, or would you feel more rewarded by helping others? My high school senior self was selfish and egocentric. It is doubtful that these questions would change her opinion, but it is always worth a shot. I could have saved myself several years of a low-paying job and soul-searching had I not focused on being a historian. At 18, the difference between an intellectual reward and a spiritual reward was small. Yet, maybe posing these questions would have persuaded her to at least think about what makes her happy to the core, not what is fun to debate. Life experience has proven to me that philosophy is not rewarding, and that true joy is seeing how my actions directly improve the well-being of others.

It is the most relaxed college to be a student. The professors are addressed by their first name; debates are fostered, encouraged and appreciated. The student demographic is diverse in all ways: ethnic, religious, political, etc. Since students are allowed to be their own unique entity, there is a big sense of acceptance.

Consensus. No decision is made until everyone comes to an agreement. This means very long meetings, strained relationships and sometimes a lot of stress. When most places have someone make the decision, Earlham gathers a group of people to discuss the issue and then agree upon a solution or policy. Due to this process, decisions concerning policies or anything can take a long time to develop. If you want a rule change quickly, you may be sorely disappointed, because they are debating the issue to the point of exhaustion.

I did not have to consider other schools because Earlham's small liberal arts community is the perfect fit for me. Other schools that came to talk to my high school did not seem to encourage the type of learning environment I needed. Earlham provides a wonderful environment in which one can contact their professor any time they need, can choose to be any where on campus but still be with others if wanted, and even find tranquility by walking behind campus a few yards.

I would tell myself to explore more and to relax more when entering Earlham. I would not suggest a change of college, but rather comfort the fear that was present all through my senior year that I had chosen the wrong college. I would, however, warn myself about the amount of work required for finals at Earlham. Earlham is definitely a good college becuase they make students work incredibly hard to earn the grades they want. This does make for better people in the long run, but it is still a bit of an adjustment.

There is nothing I wish I had known that I did not know already. Even if I had had questions, even those considering Earlham are encouraged to visit and talk to professors and other workers.

Rebecca

Earlham College is a small, midwestern liberal arts school.

Earlham College is a small, midwestern liberal arts school.

Dear Rebecca, I know you are nervous about going to college in the fall. It will be the first time you've lived away from your childhood home, your family, and friends you've known since preschool. I won't sugarcoat this for you - college is going to be hard. Academically, you will learn things about the world that will shake you to your core. Socially, you will have to learn how to live with your best friends and people who drive you crazy (often, these are the same people). Emotionally, you will experience extreme loneliness and even depression, at times. But you are strong. Not only will you graduate college in four years, you'll graduate a better, smarter, more mature person. You will graduate knowing yourself and feeling confident in who you are. It will take you these next four years to get to that point. When you have trouble - academically, socially, or personally - seek help. Tell a professor, a friend, or a counselor. You never have to endure anything alone. Just look to the light at the end of the tunnel. Do your best, and remember never to worry about that which you can't control.

I wish I'd known how poorly they would prepare me for the real world...

Anna

I learned a lot about myself through the challenges of college. I am glad to have attended a school which pushed me continuously. There are always new boundaries to explore at Earlham and I am grateful for all the things I was able to explore.

I wish I had known more about the individual departments, programs, and facilities. They were all great, but sometimes not what I expected.

Safia

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would have told myself to evenly balance out social life with acedemic life , especially during the first semester. It seems simple but one will quickly learn that it is difficult to do so when you are meeting new people, making new friends and starting new relationships. It does not matter how hard one works in high school, the focus can be easily lost in college. It is good to be social, however, one must keep motivated during college to obtain good grades because they will depict how successful you become in the future.

The type of person who should not attend Earlham is one who is not open mided to seeing new things. This campus is full of diversity; there are students who practice a variety of religions, come from different cultures and are open about their sexual preferances. If a person feels that he/ she could never be comfortable with this type of environment, they should not attend it.

The most frustrating part of Earlham was the lack of recourses for career placement. I feel that the staff at the career placement office do not have enough materials to help students find jobs or internships after college. Many times, I was disapointed with the lack of knowledge and recourses they had to offer me that I resorted to finding jobs on my own or from other schools.

Earlham College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.