Richmond, IN
Earlham College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Earlham College

Earlham is a vibrant place, with a diverse student body and faculty.

Earlham is a vibrant place, with a diverse student body and faculty.

Search long and hard; use all resources you have to the maximum yield that they can offer. Doing lots of research as well as following up with visits is vital. College is important, and not just to find a job. College is an experience that helps you find yourself, and your place in the world. It shapes who you are. Therefore, it is of the utmost importance to really devote a lot of thought, time, and effort into finding a school that will be right for you or your child. Do not leave the decision to your high school guidance counselor, they often do not have a broad enough background or knowledge of schools that are not focused on "traditional" areas such as law and medicine. Schools with more specialized and less-common areas of interest will be entirely up to you to find. Do not give up, or settle for what others tell you is good for you. Find your own path; e-mail the admissions department, ask for more information, set up an interview, visit the school.

The tendency of people to be so firmly rooted in an opinion or idea that they will be blind to other possibilities.

Lillian

My classmates were pretentious, precocious and intelligent.

My classmates were pretentious, precocious and intelligent.

It is really important to see each college that you are interested in and speak with both students and professors there. Not every college is a perfect fit for every student. Asking questions is absolutely necessary when shopping for a school. Somewhere might seem like a great place from it's website or brochure, but being there and getting a feel for it is the only real way to tell if it is going to meet your needs.

Someone who is not dedicated to studying should not attend this school.

elena

the education you recieve from college depends on you more than any other factor.

The community - liberal arts should be studied in a small intentional community where you can always get good advice from students, faculty and community members. this is a school where you can go on the journey of self-discovery without being alone.

a samll community means less privacy in general, also we don't always practice the values we preach.

Joshua

Don't pay so much attention to college guides; the most important thing is VISITING where you want to attend. I almost applied Early Decision to a school I thought was perfect, until I visited it. Visit classes, visit college housing, visit students, and go with your gut instinct about how comfortable you feel.

Sometimes the homogeneous nature of the student population, especially politically. Sometimes people get the impression that the school is radical, but that's not true; that describes only the loudest people on campus.

Larisa

Start your college search early and do campus visits! Ask the students on campus what they like the most and the least about their school.

Friendly atmosphere and engaging community

the small size that makes it difficult to take all the classes you want

Melody

funky, eclectic, smart, intelligent, inquisitive, driven.

funky, eclectic, smart, intelligent, inquisitive, driven.

Look for schools that are strongest in the area of study you are most interested in, but also give you choices to explore other areas you might not have considered and may fall in love with.

sorority, fraternity oriented (none on campus).

Erum

A small college is best suited to one`s needs since your social circle is likely to increase faster. Also, a college with lots of diversity, or a college which welcomes diversity helps students gain perspective for opinions that they never would have on their own. It gives life a whole new meaning and one is exposed to different views, cultures, values across the world while in at college.

Samara

It was about 1/15 of the size of the others schools I considered. It cost about 4 times more than the other schools I considered, and also was looking for a more well-rounded applicant when I was applying. Financial aid was also available FROM the school where as other schools didn't grant me any.

Don't think you have to settle for a big public state university. Check out smaller schools and smaller programs. And don't think that just because you failed Chemistry your freshman year of high school that no one will ever accept you. I did, and Earlham wanted me so badly they paid for over half of my tuition. Hold old for the school that's right for you. Do your research and prove to them you're the student they've been looking for.

The size of the classes and the differences amongst the students and the staff that become known during class dicussions and group projects. Earlham's diversity is what makes the college a truly unique experience.

Laura

The activism of our students. Most students are involved in social/political/environmental change in some way. Earlham students have been know to picket and lobby both in the local town of Richmond and take trips over breaks (a recurring one is to protest the School of the Americas in Georgia over part of Thanksgiving break). Also, campus movements are quite common, such as petitions and signs to raise awareness about getting cage-free eggs in the cafeteria, or getting Coca-Cola kicked off campus.

As a homeschooled student, the best advice I can give is to homeschoolers: find a school that non-traditional. Unless the student really wants the formal learning experience, I highly recommend finding a school that doesn't give grades, allows students to design their own major easily, does only one class at a time, etc. Try to get a feel for how flexible the school is in doing things a little outside the norm. The hardest thing for me (and one of my other homeschooled friends at my college) was adjusting to being told how to learn (what classes I have to take when, doing busy-work homework, etc.), when, as self-dictator of my own education for 10 years, I already knew perfectly well how to do it. I resented conforming to what the school said my learning cycle should be, and I resented that I had so much homework that I couldn't properly pursue my own interests. Even in classes I enjoyed, I only barely had time to complete all my homework anyway, let alone going deeper into a subject. So I suppose to summarize: find a place that mimics the homeschool style/values of learning.

The relationship between staff and students. Earlham being a Quaker-founded school, we call everyone by their first name--even the president! So right away many hierarchical barriers are taken down. You truly become friends with the staff--I even kept in contact with the ladies I work with at the registrar's office over the summer!

Zipporah

First of all I would tell students to make sure their grades are up to part and that they begin to work on scholarships to attend college. Study Study and more study is the key to getting into the college of their choice

The worst thing about my school is again the lack of transporation that is needed for the students who do not own cars.

No transportation to assist students around the town or on campus.

Earlham College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.