Johnson City, TN
East Tennessee State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend East Tennessee State University

Tina

I have had such a wonderful experience at ETSU. The schedules are flexible and will fit anyone's schedule. The professors and staff are very caring. They want you to be successful, and are there to help you whenever you need help. There is free tutoring for most classes if you need extra help. I am very happy with my experience here.

What do students complain about most?

The most common things that students complain about at ETSU are complicated tests, too many assignments due at one time in different classes, and parking. Parking can be a bear sometimes because there are so many students at ETSU. If you get to school a little early, it usually isn't that big of a problem though.

Be organized! Ask questions about issues that you are not sure about. College is totally different than high school. There is a lot to say about being self sufficient. If you stay organized, you will be good to go!

What are your classes like?

My classes are fun, but challenging. I love my professors that I have this semester. I have become very attached to many of my fellow classmates too.

There is a lot of diversity among students and staff at ETSU. There are many ethnic backgrounds here, which makes the classes better in my opinion. We can all learn from each other. You will see a lot of different backgrounds here, some wealthy, middle class, and lower class incomes. Everyone is treated with respect and dignity however. I don't think that there is any group that would feel out of place at ETSU. We welcome everyone from all backgrounds. The more the merrier!

Some of the classes can be very challenging, however you get out of it what you put into it. There is no allowing students to slide by because you earn the grade that you are given, which I think is a great thing. Most professors know your name pretty early into the semester, and are willing to help you. The academics at ETSU are not only geared towards just learning the material, but also to help prepare you for the job force after graduation.

Tyler

ETSU is the perfect size. Not too big, and not too small. ETSU is at the very core of Johnson City and has many different options for students. Where else can you major in Bluegrass, Old Time, and Country music, or get your masters in Storytelling? One of the most common student complaints, is that of parking. However with in the next 2 years, this will no longer be an issue as plans are already finalized for a new parking garage!

What are your classes like?

Even though I am in some upper level, difficult classes, the learning environment is a fun one, and the professors are extremely concerned with student success.

The most active organizations on campus include: Buctainment - a campus wide programming group providing cheap date movie nights (free movies), and other events such as Hypnotist Jim Wand, all for FREE! Residence Hall Association - an organization that every student who lives on campus is automatically a member of. RHA provides many different events, one being the Silent Disco. Its epic. Look it up!

We are a genuine melting pot at ETSU. Students, for the most part, tend not to judge others and are very accepting of all different races, ethnicities, genders, and sexual orientations. We have students from a wide range of socioeconomic backgrounds, but when you are on campus, this doesn't matter. Everyone is a friend to their neighbor, and your past and your home life doesn't get in the way of making new and amazing friends.

The academics are great. You will always know something about your professors, and in most classes, your professor will know a lot about you too. The average class size is in the 40's, but in some upper level classes, it is not uncommon to have a class of 10-15.

At East Tennessee State University, we have a variety of types of students! We have a healthy mix of students in Greek life, the 'jock' type, and of course, the geeky ones too. Overall, no matter what type of student you are, you will find a niche on our campus.

Alessandra

There is no one specific stereotype of students at ETSU. Yes, there are frat kids, geeks, girly girls, foreign students and much much more. There are all types of people who attend ETSU from adult students to foreign exchange students; it is a very diverse campus. This a great thing because there are students just like you and students completely different than you who you can meet. It's amazing to have so many different types of people in one place; it broadens one's horizon to experience diversity.

Adam

Answers to some of the above questions: --Our school is just the right size, we are like a close knit family, but if you are the person that wants to get lost in the crowd, you can do that too. --People think it is awesome that I choose to attend ETSU, and ask me all shorts of questions when I tell them I go here. --I spend most of my time in meetings, mainly the Student Government Office. --We are a college town, but we offer everything just like a small town would at the same time as having all the amenities of a large town. --The school's administration rocks!!! Almost everyone in the higher administration has an open door policy. I have got to know the President of the University very well in my time here. --Our school hold immense history and interesting facts and opportunities. Other..... The decision to enroll at ETSU was and is the best decision I ever made. I now call ETSU home. I was welcomed with open arms and continue to feel like I belong to a close-knit family. I have had the amazing opportunity to serve in many different organizations in many different leadership rolls. I currently serve as the Secretary of External Affairs for the Student Government Association. My job is to organize, plan, and implement all aspects of the Major Event/Concert each semester. I have had the great privilege to serve in many organizations thus far including: Admissions Ambassadors, Preview and Orientation Leadership Organization, Environmental Conservation Organization, Kappa Sigma Fraternity, Relay for Life Committee, Habitat for Humanity, and many others. I am honored to have served with many different student and university leaders. I charge everyone to give it their all, leaders are nothing without their followers. My experiences within these organizations have enabled me to become a part of the ETSU community academically and socially. I believe that you always get out what you put into anything. I encourage everyone to enjoy this time, have fun, and work hard. I live my life by the quote, “If you always do what you’ve always done, you’ll always get what you’ve always got.”

There are currently over 200 student led groups on campus, and we are growing everyday!! Some of the more popular ones include, Student Government Association, Preview Orientation Leader Organization, Buctainment, Residence Hall Association, and many more. Our men's and women's soccer team is extremely popular. Our men's team won their conference tournament last season and are playing in the tournament again this year! I am heavily involved with our Student Government Association. I have served as a Junior Senator, a Senator, the Chief of Staff for the President on his Cabinet, and now serving as the Secretary of External Affairs for the President on his Cabinet. My job is do plan, organize, and implement the SGA's Major Event every semester. This involves planning our concerts we host every semester for the students for FREE!! We are able to get big names Our Residence Hall Association is extremely active on campus. The RHA plan and host major events every semester for ALL ETSU student at no cost. The residence life on campus is amazing and is growing every year. The athletic events on campus are every popular with our student body and community. We always have a great student representation at games. We host numerous guest speakers and comedians every semester at no cost to students. Also, our theater departement usually puts on at least two performances every semester, all student ran. The dating scene at our campus is just like any other campus. However ETSU is unique, we have a 1 to 5 ratio of men to women! I met some of my closest friends and relationships in the activities I have been involved with on campus. There are numerous traditions that we have every year that are unique to ETSU, for example Homecoming Week, Major Event Concerts, and many more! Now the question you have been waiting for, is ETSU a party school. The answer, any school is what you make it. There is a different scene for whatever you want to become involved with. Fraternities and Sororities do play an active leadership role on our campus. Greek life is popular and expanding! There are plenty of things to do on the weekends that don't involve partying. The surrounding area has a lot to off off campus. I know my friends and I enjoy going out on a Saturday night and catching up over dinner then maybe a movie or bowling or even laser tag! A lot of students enjoy going snow boarding or snow skiing during the winter months. We have a number of snow slops only minutes from our campus.

Our campus has every walk of life represented. I honestly feel that there is no student that is welcomed onto our campus. Most students wear causal clothing to class. Some where business causal because of the jobs or positions they hold on campus. All types of students, faculty, and staff interact at ETSU. While most people come from the surrounding Application area, ETSU has students from all across the world. Most students would be classified as being in the middle of "middle class." ETSU does have a very strong group of students that are politically award and active. We have both a College of Republicans and College of Democrats student groups, which play very active roles on our campus. Students don't really discuss about what they will be earning one day, they are in their major because they love that field of study.

Almost all of my professors know my name. I witness students studying all the time on our campus. Students take advantage of our state-of-the-art facilities to study and prepare for their classes. Class participation is very common on our campus. The first step to learning, is showing up. Our professors and students understand this concept and reflect it in their actions. I know I have seen and participated in many intellectual conversations outside of the classroom. Our students can be competitive, but in a very constructive way. I am a Public Health major with a Health Services Administration concentration. My department is unique in the fact that we are the ONLY College of Public Health in the state of Tennessee! I regularly send time with my professors and administrations outside of class. We enjoy lunch together almost weekly. I think ETSU's academic requirements are right on target. However, our administrators know that academic requirements change and are understanding to the fact that we will have to grow and adapt to those changes. He education at ETSU is geared toward getting a job and our institution provides the tools to obtain jobs. We offer endless possibilities for students to get job shadowing, internships, research positions, and jobs in our growing economy.

I would say our campus has a variety of stereotypes, some fitting, most not. We have everything from your average campus stereotype of "frat boys" to "nerds." The truth is our campus has every walk of life. People don't try to live up to any particular stereotype on our campus, some people just like to marginalize others into a certain stereotype. ETSU has so much to offer to everyone, I guarantee you will fit right in.

Alisha

I love going to ETSU! ETSU was originally last on my list of colleges I'd like to go to. However, once I got on campus and looked around, I realized that it is so much different than I thought. We have a little over 15,000 students currently, so it's not too big, but not too small. The fit was just right for me. Also, the campus is beautiful! The most frequent student complaint is about parking. While there is definitely enough parking spots on campus, they are all not necessarily close to buildings and residence halls. For students who live on campus, parking is not a big deal. For commuting students, it can be a small hike. However, I am a commuting student and I have had no problems with parking. I don't mind walking for 2-3 minutes to get to a building.

There are several big organizations/groups on campus. Some examples are Student Government Association, POLO- Preview and Orientation Leaders Organization, Admissions Ambassadors (campus tours), and Residence Hall Association. I am an active member of Admissions Ambassadors. There are over 200 clubs here at ETSU. These clubs range from academic clubs like honor societies and clubs for your major, to ghost hunting clubs. There are a few sororities and fraternities on campus. They are not an integral part of ETSU campus life, but they are available for students who are interested. Athletic events are somewhat popular. Out biggest sport here is basketball. Soccer is becoming a big sport as well.

This area of the country normally leans to the right politics wise. However, students on this campus are more liberal than the rest of this area. Our campus has many cultures represented. Predominantly, the campus is made of Caucasian students. I have had classes with students from Japan, Russia, Brazil, and Ecuador. Students here express themselves through their clothing. While some chose to wear sweats and a t-shirt to class, others show off their originality.

I am majoring in Elementary Education. ETSU's Clemmer College of Education is nationally accredited. It's a great place to study and learn. Once I got into the classes for my actual major, I got to know my professors better. All of my professors currently have given out their email addresses, cell phone numbers, and home number to students. They genuinely care about the students succeeding.

The biggest stereotype is that everyone from this area of the country is illiterate, has a thick southern accent, and doesn't wear shoes. This is not accurate. While there is a small accent in this area, we are not as dumb as people believe.

ETSU is an amazing place with a very unique culture. What I enjoy most about ETSU is its' adaptability to student needs. I have found that any student that wants to invest energy and time into ETSU they will have a highly rewarding experience. The administration office is deeply concerned about student needs and overall happiness. I spend a great deal of my time working in the Student Government office, doing research for my thesis, planning Homecoming, serving on a variety of committees, or simple studying and attending classes.

We have a large variety of students and it is impossible to place any individual into a stereotype.

Nick

I think SGA and the University Administration work hard to make student voices heard. If there is a concern on an issue from a student, then that student has the power to work toward changing it. The diversity is great at ETSU. People want to know more about ETSU when I say I go there. I highlight the area of Johnson City as a whole and the surrounding Appalachian area. Outdoor activities are a must do if you come here; they are so numerous and hard to pass up. The school itself is just a right fit. We are not too big like other schools in the state, but we aren't so small that you see the same people walking around every day. I am honored to go to a school that is safe and our Public Safety department works to ensure everyone's safety on campus. Johnson City as a whole is an extension of the university community. I can't help but notice ETSU Pride signs in yards, businesses, and restaurants everywhere I go. I don't have any complaints really. I have heard students complain about parking, but the university is working to address that with a new parking garage soon. Not enough housing may be a complaint, but the Housing and Residence Life department is working to change that with the new Phase of apartments and residence hall renovations.

There are so many organizations on campus that are tailored just for the individual student. If it is special interest groups such as skydiving, we have it. If you want major specific organization such as STEA or Communicology Student Association, we have it too. If you want religious organization such as The Well, CRU, and Muslim Student Association, we have them too. There are consistently lectures and speakers on campus weekly who discuss a variety of topics. Some interesting lectures have come to campus. One of the greatest ways that students meet their friends is through Preview the week before classes start or through their major/minor classes and in the residence halls. Fraternities and sororities are important, but they do not take over the school like other college campuses. Johnson City is large so students can find themselves, eat at the many restaurants, shopping at the mall or other stores, seeing a movie, or taking part in outdoor activities. We are a dry campus partying doesn't happen much on campus.

Since we are a state-supported university we have added benefit of welcoming students from all walks of life and socio-economic statuses. Students are welcome to create their own university recognized organizations on campus, so if one is not available it can be made. Religious diversity is evident with Christian, Muslim, and other religious organizations on campus. Most students dress casually for class and many wear ETSU logo shirts or their fraternity or sorority letter shirts. Many of the students are from the surrounding region but it is not uncommon to find students who are from many hours and states away. I would say the middle class is the financial background that is most present on campus. Students are more goal driven and are concerned about their future life one day.

Every class I have had, except maybe in my larger gen ed classes, the professors know my name. Academics are a high priority for students at ETSU. I have had many classes in social sciences and biological sciences and I have not been disappointed by any of them. I try to take classes that will challenge my critical thinking. Many of the pre-professional students are competitive because space is limited in medical, pharmacy, physical therapy, and law schools. Many of the departments train students in a variety of topics within that field. Very few train students for a specific career. This way students have a broad knowledge so they can be flexible in a variety of career fields. Many of the professors I have had give their personal cell phones to students in case they need assistance with anything. The academic requirements are high in many cases. I do not know of another state supported university that requires students to have so many intensives which are certain classes that are either oral, writing, or technology intensive. Career and Internship services make every attempt to help students succeed so they can find the career that is best for them.

Most people think that students at ETSU are from the tri-state area or are from another Appalachian area which is false. We have many states from all states and many international students. I don't believe there are many stereotypes that identify most of the students at ETSU. We embrace and welcome diversity among our students; therefore we have students from all walks of life, races, cultural heritage, international students, etc. We have Buccaneer pride when it comes to our athletics, but we don't embrace the jock stereotype. Only a small percentage of our students are in fraternities and sororities; most everyone is active in one or more of our other 200 organizations on campus. Drugs and alcohol aren't welcome; and our Psychology department's research on student use of these substances proves that use is minimal. We like academically oriented students, who also engage themselves in extracurricular activities. I would welcome the geek stereotype, but its not a representation of all the students.

Tabitha

The school is best known for it's tobacco free campus. I'm glad that they have this. Some people have smoke allergies, and some people (like me) don't want tar covered lungs. Second hand smoke is worse than first hand.

Hey Tabitha, I know this whole college thing sounds confusing, but I'm here to help. Highschool is very annoying and frustrating, I understand that so listen to me. Study your hardest and do your best, this year is it for your g.p.a. Don't worry about not getting accepted, you're a great student, and you will get in. Campus Ridge, where you'll be living, isn't scary either. The whole rent every month may sound a little unsettling, but you will have enough financial aid to cover you. I know college is a big change, but I promise it's for the better . There's no drama, seperate classes on different days, and usually no homework. Don't give up. You've made it too far to turn away now.

The worst thing about East Tennessee State University is the huge classes. I entered my Biology class, and there were 180 people in there! That's more than my graduating class in highschool. Not all of my classes are that big, however.

Brooke

The buildings are fairly close together, so it is very easy to get from class to class (even if you only have 10 minutes between them). Almost all of the teachers, advisors, and students are friendly and willing to help out someone who is lost or in need. The gym, which is both on campus and close to the dorms, is entirely free to students and well-maintained, promoting a healthy lifestyle. The health center is also free to current students, so there is no need to worry about an expensive medical bill when you get sick.

I would have researched more about the cost of college. I started out my college career at Pennsylvania State University, which is currently the most expensive public non-Ivy League school in the nation. I'm already a lot of money in debt, and with three more years of school yet to pay for. I also would not have spent so much money on items for my dorm room. They're actually a lot smaller than you would think, especially since you have to share the space with another person. I would also tell myself to being to save a lot of money, as food and other living expenses can really rack up. With no savings going into the college life, I really have had to sacrifice a lot just to make ends meet.

I wish I had known that parking is kind of difficult to find on campus. They are currently building a parking garage though, so hopefully this will not be a problem in the future.

Alek

If I could go back in time when I was in high school and give myself advice, I would say; Alek You should always remember the reason why you decided to leave Israel and move to the States to go to College. It’s not going to be easy and you will have your ups and downs. Even though you are going to leave everything behind you need to remember that in the end it will be worth it. To get to your B.A you will find yourself in times of despair and you would consider giving up, but you will know that that’s not an option. Believe in yourself, know that you can do this. It will take more time than you expect but don’t worry you will get there and everything will be fine. The transition that you will go through will empower you and will make you stronger. One more thing, doesn’t party too much remember you will have time to do that once you graduate.

East Tennessee State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.