Johnson City, TN
East Tennessee State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend East Tennessee State University

tonya

Dear High School Self, It's ok if you don't know what you want for your life right now. When you begin college, a whole new world will open up for you. You'll meet new people, be exposed to fresh experiences, and learn more about where you fit and who you are. Breathe it in! Pay attention to your intuition and your heart. Take steps toward your dream knowing that the path may change along the way. This is your time. Enjoy the journey as you create your future and map out your path.

east tennessee state university is a great choice for those who love the outdoors! there are many opportunities for outdoor adventures as well as an on campus climbing walls and fitness/aquatics centers.

the professors are excellent and give individual attention to each student.

Marcie

East Tennessee State University: Big College Campus, Small Campus Feel.

East Tennessee State University: Big College Campus, Small Campus Feel.

As a senior in high school, I clearly had all the answers. I knew where I wanted to go to college and who I wanted to be (an interior designer). I had it all laid out: Marcie's Future: A Step by Step Guide to All Things College. I was wrong. On my third day of college, I realized that I couldn't draw and thus couldn't major in interior design! I was devistated for about five minutes until I realized that the choices and possibilities are endless when you go to college. My advice to myself would be to keep my heart and mind open to the many possibilities that await you. Be brave and bold in your choices about college and life in general. Don't place yourself into one specific category, branch out and re-discover yourself. College is always a choice, so choose to relax and enjoy it!

When I attended ETSU, the only real frustration I had was parking on the campus. It was oftentimes difficult to find a parking spot close the the building you needed to visit and I would get annoyed by that. However, I know the college has been working to improve this situation.

James

ETSU is mainly known for its Medical and Business programs. They are some of the top programs for both undergraduate and graduate in the nation.

If I could go back and talk to myself as a senior, I would tell myself to not spend money on fast food all the time, don't get caught up in peer pressure by drinking and partying, and take my grades seriously for the first year. All of these things may seem fun in the present, but in the future you will have to grow up and take responsiblity for the things that you did when you were 18. Your grades won't be as good as they could have been and you might have a little more money saved up in case of an emergency. More importantly I would tell myself to stay true to yourself and friends that you make, because they will get you through the hard times as well as the easy times.

The most frustrating thing about ETSU is the lack of support for the athletic department. ETSU has been known to be a commuting school with only 3,000 out of 15,000 living on campus, which makes it difficult to get students to come out and watch athletic events. While are teams are not great, they still need the support of students and fans to grow into a school that in the future could be known for not only its medical and business programs, but athletics as well.

Kirsten

Hello, Self. You might be in a place right now that you don't understand and are going through challenges that seems to keep knocking you down. Well, guess what? I'm here to tell you that it gets better. Everything you doubt about yourself and every moment that keeps adding to the list of "mistakes" turns into something more. Each choice that you make (good or iffy) reaps optimistic circumstances and makes you a better...YOU. Give ETSU your best and absorb the community for all it's worth. You can't screw up because no matter what you do you will grow into the woman you want to be. You are smart. Everyone around you wants to lend a helping hand--swallow that pride and embrace this chance for everything it gives you. I know you have it in you. Never doubt that! Carpe Diem!

I wish I knew more about the opportunities and the certain specifications about scholarships that could have helped me later on, but overall I wish I knew how much this place would mean to me. I judged the small campus and in turn it teached me a lot about community, team work, and dedication. I'm still learning and growing each day!

Someone who likes an open, kind, and interactive community. They like the mountainous environment and enjoy hiking and being in classes that are smaller, yet efficient. There's help and scholarships at every corner and a place to escape in your studies. ETSU is a place to call home.

Jeffery

You need to put your heart and mind into your college education. Soak up all that you can from professors and other faculty and staff. This is your time to shine. You need to make your college experience more than a piece of paper. Anyone can get a piece of paper. Are you in college to get that piece of paper or to learn? What you learn in college will be useful throughout life.

East Tennessee State University is a relatively small campus. The online program is great.

ETSU has become my home away from home.

ETSU has become my home away from home.

If i could go back and give myself advice it would be to open up my eyes and enjoy life. I changed schools many times so I was always the "new kid". This brought out my insecurities, and I kept mostly to myself. I missed out on prom and so many other things that I regret now. I wish I could have told myself that I am an amazing person, and can do anything I set my mind to! There are many things I missed out on in high school, and I refuse to do that in college. I am more involved on campus, with charity work, and have opened up more to meeting new people. I can honestly say I have learned and grown into a much wiser and happier young woman.

The best thing about my school is the beautiful surrounding area. East tennessee is known for mountains, lakes, and hiking trails. It is a great way to escape from the hectic stress of school. Many students are outdoors all year long from swimming in the summer to snowboarding in the wnter. The area around ETSU offers a playground to the avid outdoorswoman, me :).

Andrew

The few stereotypes that exist on Etsu are that fraternity and sorority ties can get students into excessive drinking and over socialization. This in turn leads to faltering grades because there are many people to meet and be friends with on campus. Otherwise, the college stereotype is students go party, while they attend school and balance their grades. How students choose to interact socially and responsibly effects scholastic achievement. I like to thing that Etsu doesn't have stereotypes because of its diverse network of great people steering students in the right direction. Each institution a student finds such as extracurricular activities and having a place to share your ideas, gives them more opportunity to excel away from social trends and meet the diverse range of great people.

Rebekah

I would reccommend ETSU to prospective students if the school has their major. It is a standard college. Some of the teachers are incredible and inspiring while others are out of touch and should probably retire. The president recently retired, and a younger man with little experience will be taking his position. The size of the school is average; classes usually have 15-30 people in them unless they are in an auditorium. Parking is limited, but a 21 million dollar parking garage is being built. Students can take the Bucshot shuttle from distant parking. Most of my time on campus is spent in class or at my scholarship job. The library is large and full of books and computers. My computer was broken for a semester and I was able to get all my homework done in the library. It is classy and quiet. I enjoy the outdoors and often go hiking at Buffalo Mtn., Roan Mtn., and Holston Mtn. I spent a summer working on the Nolichucky River as a raft guide. If people are interested in exploring but having the advantages of living in a town, this location is prime. Johnson City is demographically a college town, but downtown is small and although people get bucwild, the crime rate is low and the town is well-maintained. We don't have a football team so school spirit is not necessarily through the roof. One of the biggest controversies at the school is the smoking policy. The school is supposed to be tobacco free except in personal vehicles, but students and faculty smoke and dip on campus. I think the school should accomodate all types of students by providing ash trays or a smoking area. Smoking has almost become a sign of protest. Throwing butts on the ground is many students' way of saying "fuck your policy" as well as smoking near the entrance to a main building. Our mascot is the buccaneer, in layman's terms, a mountain pirate. In my opinion, the school should begin calling themselves the mountain pirates. I lived in a dorm my first year and had a meal plan. It was a complete waste of money. I recommend living off campus in the historic tree streets neighborhood next to campus. I lived there for two years in a house that was over one hundred years old. Johnson City is an excellent place to live for people who prefer a slow paced yet progressive city. ETSU has been an excellent place for me to meet like-minded people and to get the degree I need and the experience to apply my education.

The student population is diverse. Some are well-versed in their politics and capable of winning educated debates with other students. However, students tend to gather with those like themselves. Although they naturally segregate, four different groups of students could mix into four new groups and find common ground. We have progressive groups for almost every sect of people: LGBT, Republicans, Democrats, environmentalists, racial equality groups, support groups. We also have a number of clubs and athletic groups. Students are active in organizing new groups and getting sponsors for their cause. Anyone could make friends here. We have straights and freaks. Some come from wealthy families, and some are struggling to finance their education while supporting a family. Different types of students interact with each other in class, but I cannot speak for what they do outside of class. At some parties that I have attended, everyone mingles despite differences. ETSU students don't seem to have issues with embracing diversity. In any given classroom, one could find a student in pajamas, a girl who looks like she's going clubbing, a guy who just came from the gym, a stoner eating throughout the entire class period, a kid with headphones in yet not listening to them, the student who is on facebook all class, the student who raises his hand for everything, the student who turns every topic into one about social injustice, the sorority girl, the frat boy, the SGA senator who always looks like they are going ot an important meeting, the punk, the hipster and a variety of others. Most of the students are from within two hundred miles of the school and getting in-state tuition. Some are very determined while others are just in school because it seemed like the right thing to do after high school.

Academics at ETSU is designed to get students jobs in their desired field. With the exception of a few, my teachers have been willing to meet me outside of class and respond promptly to emails to help me succeed. Many of the teachers are passionate about their subject and make every effort to make class interesting and well rounded. General education classes can be boring and attendance is usually lower than upper level classes. Once I began my upper level courses, my college experience changed dramatically. My teachers all know my name, except in auditorium classes, and they are mostly fair and committed. The school requires internships for many majors so that when graduation rolls around, students already have experience and connections. Students are not very competitive. I am a Journalism major; lots of my homework is field work, not necessarily sitting at home writing papers and studying. Last semester was my favorite so far. Each week, I had a story or paper to write, photo assignments and lots of helpful criticism from my teachers. I already feel quite prepared to be a writer though I know I have much to learn. I worked 30 hours a week while taking 18 hours of classes and 6 hours weekly at my scholarhsip job last semester. It was extremely stressful and I seriously considered quitting school. My academic advisor doubled as a life counselor and friend and helped me assess my goals and sort out issues with my family and job in one sitting. I can probably thank her for saving my career, and that is not necessarily her job. The professors and advisors that I have had have gone above and beyond their job requirements to help me. That is how I would describe academics at ETSU, committed to individual success.

ETSU is often called a "suitcase school" because some people leave for the weekends to stay with their parents. Everyone does not do this, but students like this make up a large part of the population. Many of them are typical, fresh-out-of-high school students who have yet to be stereotyped as anything other than dependent. We have outdoors lovers (because the school is surrounded by hiking, caving, camping and rafting area). I sometimes hear the partiers called "chromies," named after our local dance club Chrome where the girls who tan too much and the boys with perpetual boners go on Thursdays to sweat on each other. We have geeks, artists and athletes. Greek life is about the same as any other school: bros in their matching glasses, vests, polos, shoes and hobbies and sorrority sisters with their philanthropy, fashion and booze. The student population is mostly friendly and laid back. Everyone seems to mesh. I suppose that happens when people get out of high school and learn to appreciate their differences.

David

I love my university, and of course, my university is ETSU. I will admit that I had some animosity towards my major and the school overall when I found out my graduation would be delayed. Almost every department has this problem of not informing students well enough of "ladder classes" that are only offered in certain semesters, and one class will be a prerequisite for another. It's very common to meet students who are going 5 or 6 years for their 4-year-degree just because of some scheduling problem. That being said, I have also learned so much about myself at ETSU. My previous university was Virginia Highlands Community College, and when I first started VHCC right out of high school, I was not ready for the college setting at all. I was able to work on my study skills and buckle down eventually, so when I arrived at ETSU after getting my 2-year-degree from VHCC, I felt ready to really step out into what felt like a "real" college. And ETSU is a real college, make no doubt about it. The best thing about ETSU is the fact that, it is exactly what you make of it. It sounds cliche, but ETSU is fortunately true of this. If you attend class regularly and get to know your professors and put forth an honorable effort, it will pay off for you. The one day you stay after class to talk to your professor might be the one day he/she brings up a potential internship. But likewise, if you become a "face in the crowd" and just float through your classes without ever getting involved, you might do okay, but you won't really progress as much as others. I have seen a lot of students get their degrees and complain of not having any jobs, but ETSU has taught me that nothing is really given to you, and I mean that in the best way possible. I have some great professors who would bend over backwards for me because I have proved to them I am serious about my studies. So I would recommend ETSU to anyone. Are their other universities in the area that are ranked higher? Absolutely -- but ETSU has a pleasant atmosphere, diverse student body, and a variety of majors to go into -- and all of them can be beneficial to you so long as you stick your neck out and work at it. ETSU is great. There is school pride, without a doubt. Driving around Johnson City and even the surrounding cities like Bristol and Kingsport, you will see ETSU bumper stickers and signs reading "ETSU Pride" planted on doors of local businesses. It's fascinating really. Even people who never attended ETSU will still show pride because of how well known the school is. When concerts and other venues come to Johnson City, 90% of them come to ETSU because it can house such a big crowd, and they know there is an audience for it. Johnson City is definitely a college town, and it's all because of ETSU. Even with schools like Milligan College near Johnson City as well, nothing comes close to the reputation ETSU has.

There is a big Fraternity/Sorority community around ETSU, but I would not say it's the most popular organization at the university. I would have to say "The Well" is the most popular and biggest group on campus, not counting something like the SGA. The Well is a youth group with a building located off campus where ETSU students can come and relax, and obviously worship. It's a Christian organization, but they go out of their way to try and bring in all students. I have a friend who actually holds a special meeting for Chinese students and he translates whatever message they are having into Chinese for them. But ETSU is not limited to that. There is also an Agnostic Group that meets on campus, and one of my friends also is a member, and they meet quite regularly as well. There is a lot to do in Johnson City off campus, and not all of it involves drinking. There are of course your typical restaurants and pubs, but there are multiple coffee shops, theaters, shopping malls -- all the necessities a college town needs. It even has a public transportation system called "The BucShot" that travels around Johnson City with the Johnson City Transit -- and this bus system is free for ETSU students. You can wake up on a Saturday morning, hop on a bus, eat breakfast at a bagel shop downtown, get back onboard and travel to a bike shop or one of the many shopping centers. There is even a Kroger and Earth Fare located conveniently near the dormitories, allowing students without a car to just walk and pick up groceries, and come right back to campus. Johnson City has really evolved around ETSU to accommodate the students there, and likewise, a lot of businesses come to Johnson City because they know it is a college town.

I don't think anyone can feel out of place at ETSU. I sincerely and honestly mean that, and I would tell anyone that. It's even shocking for someone like my mother when she would come to campus for whatever reason, because she would see how diverse it is. In any classroom, you will find a near equal ration of male and female students. There are black students and white students and Asian students and Hispanic students -- just to name a few. You will see students with blue hair who are going to an "Anime Club" meeting, and students with long hair and beards riding bikes around campus. You'll see people wearing suits and some people wearing pajamas at any given time of the day. And no one discriminates. ETSU hosts a lot of speakers throughout the semester. In the auditorium for the DP Culp Center you will always see an advertisement for some free event or debate coming up. I have seen the actor/bodybuilder Lou Ferigno talk about his hearing disability and his life as an actor. I have seen Ron Jeremy debate pastor Craig Gross about the porn industry. I have even seen the comedian Gabriel Iglesias perform on campus. Despite this school being set in "East Tennessee," it is certainly not limited to the stereotypes of the region. You will find much more than students from an agricultural community attending classes -- you will see students from around the world and from all walks of life. And if there is one thing I am sure of about ETSU, it is that.

The academics are ETSU are -- as I said in the previous answer -- mostly what you make it. You can have a thriving college experience with your classes and professors if you make it happen. There are a lot of groups and clubs on campus that meet outside of classes that can really help you network and impress potential employers in the future. There are study groups and tutoring centers that students can go to if they need the help. So yes -- the academics are definitely a positive thing, and ETSU has new and up-to-date facilities and technology to provide that. My major is Journalism, and one example of getting involved myself is by writing for the East Tennessean. The East Tennessean is a newspaper on campus that is ran entirely by students, and the paper is always looking for writers. I used the opportunity to get published in an actual physical print paper and I have been writing for the ET for over 2 years now -- and I get paid for it as well. In some ways, writing for the ET has given me more experience and an understanding of the newspaper industry than all the classes I have taken, and I do mean that as a positive thing.

I think people think of ETSU as the "affordable" college in the area that will literally accept anyone. There are a lot of other private schools in the area with much higher tuition rates and smaller student bodies, and it is true that ETSU is one of the more affordable universities, and it also does have a large student body that is growing every year. Therefore, I think people stereotype some of the students at ETSU as "lower class" or "middle class" who wanted to go to college but couldn't afford anything better. I also know ETSU has a very big international program, so some students stereotype it as a place with students from all over the world. You can literally walk in a classroom in almost any building for any major and you're bound to see at least one foreign student in a classroom, often times multiple ones. And I think ETSU has a stereotype of having this point in the semester where a big percentage of the students attending drops. ETSU is one of the only schools in the area (to my knowledge) that has a strict attendance policy. Almost every teacher will fail a student if they miss more than X amount of classes. So it's quite common to see a lot of people on campus at the beginning of the semester. It's almost chaotic. But as the semester goes on, parking frees up, and sometimes class sizes can drop down from 20 people to just 10 or less students. I know every college has this problem to some degree, but with a big student body count like the one ETSU has, it's synonymous with the school

Seaira

In my opinion the best thing about East Tennessee State University is the amount of personal interaction that is available to each and every student, due to the fact that ETSU is not a large university. However, ETSU is not a college that would be considered too small either. It is definetly a perfect size for anyone who feels they would not fit well in a school considered to be big. When thinking about what needs to be changed at this university, nothing really comes to mind except the slow pace that is present in the Finacial Aid office. Due to the slowness of this department, students are faced with some complications, but with consistence and the right amount of patience, these conflictions will be worked out. When others are informed of my attending this university; they are curious of its qualities and of course any cons as well, with the intention of themselves possibly attending the college. Most of my time is spent in the classrooms on campus. Being a full-time student, not much time is available for me to spend anywhere else. East Tennessee State University is located in Johnson City which is a considered to be a big college town. This is apparent especially in the summer time when most students decide to go home and not only the campus, but the city itselfs seems like a ghost town. The most recent controversy at ETSU is the lack of ethinc diversity, especially amoung African Americans. Although these ethnicities are present on campus, it is noticable that there is a minmal amunt. But this problem is currently being worked on. What is most unusual about this school is even though it is located in a college town and that it has a pretty successful baskeball team, there is an apparent lack of school spirit. Faculty, staff and city offcials are working to encourage students to show more school spirit with every opportunity available. With the increasing student population, parking is quickly becoming an issue. However many steps have been taken to fix this problem. The whole college experience itself will be remebered long after graduating. The people encounted, the classes enrolled in, the education and experice gained and the school chosen to attend will never be forgotten.

It was mentioned earlier that East Tennessee State University offers an abundace of opportunity for personal interaction due to the fact that the university and the classes avaiable are not large. For this reason, it is not difficult for professors to learn the names of each student and become fimiliar with their abilities and learning styles. My favorite class attended at ETSU was History 1010. I have an adimiration for History, so learning about this subject intrigued my interest. Another reason I found this class to be enjoyable was the teaching style of the professor. She seemed very laid back and patient with her students, which in turn made the whole class experience unforgettable. My least favorite class was Practical Reasoning. This was simply because the more in depth material of this course reminded me somewhat of a math course and math is not my best subject. The time spent studying varies with each student. Some students spend all their free time studying, some try to balance out time spent with their friends and the time spent studying and sadly some students do not take time to study at all. This aspect really depends on how deticated the student is with fulfilling their eduction. Once again, due to classes not pertaining a large amount of students; class particiapation is usually very common. Though this too also depends on the student and their dedication to education. The amount of intellecual conversations students have outside of class and the amount of competition each student possesses again depends on the student themselves. It depends on If the student is more concerned with indulging themselves in conversations that stimulate the mind or if the student is more concerned with what is going on in their personal lives rather then the information they are learning. The most unique class I have particiapated in was my sports writing class. The was unique because most of the class was spent not in a classroom, but at sport competitions. This class gave the student a good grasp on what it would be like to be a sports writer. My major is Mass Communication with a concentration in Journalism. The department for this major seems to be a very friendly, easy-going environment. I strive to have as much interations with my teachers outside of class as possible, simply because having one on one interactions with the professors is somewhat a necessity for the student to have a successful educational outcome. The academic requirements this university asks for is undoubtedly classes that each student should take. These classes are essential for achieving the right amount of knowledge for facing the intimidating situations present in the world after college. The education recieved at this college does great with preparing the student to get a job after graduation. Each department lets the students know what to look for, what to expect, how to act and how one should present themselves after the job has been found. If one performs well with academics, listens to the professors and actually takes their education seriously, the college experience one has recieved should prove to be a success in the real world.

Of course like every school, East Tennessee State University has all of the aforementioned stereotypes: jocks, frat kids, stoners and geeks and yes these stereotypes are accurate. It is no surprise to any prospective and current student that every school is going to include these stereotypes. What is unique about ETSU however, is that no matter what group one may be categorized under, they are greeted and welcomed with friendly, open arms. Stereotypes may be present, but they are not used to pass judgement. They are only present to identify one's own unique self.

East Tennessee State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.