Johnson City, TN
East Tennessee State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend East Tennessee State University

I would tell myself to apply for as many scholarships as possible because money is very hard to come by. I would also inform myself that being involved is very much worth the extra time it takes out of the social scene!

I was very well informed about the school and luckily I do not have to deal with financial aide as much as other students do.

It is very hard to deal with financial aid at this school, they are late on payments and usually mess up students aid to the point where some students do no even recieve it until the next semester.

Kelsey

Apply to multiple schools even if you think you are not interested at the time. Don't miss scholarship deadlines and apply for whatever you qualify for. Don't follow everybody else. Go where you want to go and be who you want to be. College is your last chance to become you. It goes by fast so enjoy it!

Parking. Even though there are technically enough parking spots, they are in very inconvenient places.

Courtney

East Tennessee State University is a great school overall. The financieal aid office could be a little bit more helpful in actually offering what they say they are going to offer. The mathematics deparment has some great people in their staff and I am honored to be a part of it.

I would tell high school self to get a set routine in place or I will have problems with completing all of my tasks. High school is a fun learning experience but college is more serious since most of us are here upon choice. I would tell myself to be ready for a long and exciting experience and to not bring so much junk into my dorm! I would also tell myself to have saved money because having student loans pile up is not a good thing.

Anyone can attend this school! People with disabilities may have a little bit more difficulty coming here though. Also, if you love big cities, this is not the place for you. Johnson City is a suburban area with the perfect amount of buildings to be considered a medium sized city.

Bethany

It just seemed perfect. Not too big, not too small. Not too uptight, but still has some restrictions to keep everyone in line. The campus is like it's own city. It has restaurants and a coffee house; also, there are tons of places to work and eat within a five mintue drive from campus.

First and foremost, I would advise myself not to take 8:00 a.m. classes if I could avoid it! 8:00 a.m. comes far earlier than you think when you have been up all night studying! Second, I would tell myself that even though college is more laid back then high school, I still need to get myself to class, instead of laying out to go out to lunch with friends. Third, I would make sure that I let myself know how much fun I can have in college, without having to be a party-animal, or waking up to a crippling hangover every morning. On a campus with 15,000 students, it IS possible to find friends who share the same morals I do. And finally, I would tell myself that in college, my quirkiness is not something I should hide, and that I will be shocked by the number of people who are just as unique as I am, and as fun as I am!

ETSU has high-ranking science programs, but anyone wanting to go into education may want to look elsewhere.

Bryce

A lot of them are from similar backgrounds. Most are hardworking and interested in doing well in school.

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, I'd tell myself to hang in there and not get discouraged. I'd impress upon the younger me that college is an amazing adventure and learning experience. Attending college is one of the greatest events of my life because it allows me to continue my education with much more depth and freedom than I have ever been privileged with before. I'd tell my high-school self that seemingly insignificant decisions I make every day--about friends, about studying, about what I choose to do for fun-- matter very much in who I will become. For every high school class I'm bored or disillusioned with, there is a college class that will teach me, transform me, and open new worlds of interest and imagination for me. I'd tell myself to study harder than I've ever studied, because knowledge and expansion of my world view matter. I'd encourage myself to dream bigger dreams and never settle for an ordinary life. And finally, I'd tell myself not to worry so much, to have confidence in me, and to remember to have fun.

Two things: First, it is a great size-big enough to have a good college campus feel and a lot of diversity of activities, and second, it is in a great location-close to the mountains.

Katie

It's a diverse crowd: some are funny, some are smart, some are unintelligent, some are real jerks, and some are really great people.

Evaluate what's important to you like how close you'd like to be to home, the cost of tuition, the size of the school. Those are three major things that can make or break your college experience. Research what the school is known for and whether or not it has your program of study. Once you decide on a school, visit it, look around, and ask questions so you know what you are getting into. Finally, get involved with activities on campus. It can help you make friends and keep you active. College can be a great experience if you make some good choices.

How to avoid spending some unneccessary money, as far as textbooks, housing, and meal plans are concerned.

Adam

My school is what other schools advertise themselves to be; It is a tight knit community of students, where faces are known and smiles are contagious. Almost all of the students would agree that they can easily make friends with someone in every class they have taken. There is much in common amongst the students, and where they came from.

When it comes to choosing the right college, you must first know two things about yourself: what type of person you are, and what type of person you wish to be. Considering these things, go out in search for the right college with a full tank of gas. Do not limit yourself to local colleges and universities. While these may coincidentally suit you, don't be restrained in your ideas. Understandably there are more factors when choosing a college, but know that the fit is most important. Once you have discovered that one, defining campus, make no excuse for being inactive. Go out and socialize with those around you. They have reckoned that same school to be their perfect fit. Having joined those around you, embark on that journey to graduation day. Your degree will be a pair of shoes you must wear for the rest of your life. Acknowledge all factors, such as fit, cost, and comfort. Happiness is sure to follow.

The most negative aspect of East Tennessee State is the worth of your degree. I am enjoying my time at this school, but I fear that regardless of my determination or desire to rise professionally, I will be restrained because my diploma will bear the symbol of ETSU. It is not an embarassment at all to have a college degree, but to have worked for something that may still hold you back is a terrible worry.

Choosing the right college is a huge decision that should involve not only the student, but their family and loved ones as well. Look for colleges that not only fit the student's interests at the time, but also give them an environment in which to spread their wings and grow as an individual.

What I was going to do with the rest of my life...doesn't everyone wish they knew that?!

Everyone! The people at this university are wonderfully diverse and friendly.

Travis

I would say the most important thing to do is to tour various schools. The only way to learn about a school's program is to take the time to go on guided tours and ask questions. Once you have settled for a certain college, find out what all they offer. You should try to get involved in clubs and organizations because you will make tons of friends and make some memories that will last forever! This doesn't mean you have to because I have made many friends not being involved in clubs, however, I wish I was more involved because of the feeling of being a mentor to other students. Live up your college years to the fullest, work hard at your grades so Mom, Dad, and yes yourself will be proud, and have no regrets. This is an opportunity to build on the rest of your life. What you do in college will reflect what the rest of your life will be like. Why not go for it all and give it your best the first time around?

We don't have a football team. Also, the amount of people accepted into PT school produces a stiff competition that is stressful.

We have an amazing gym facility and library. It is a beautiful campus with all kinds of things in the city to attract your attention. We also have some great professors that explain material better than some schools I've been to.

East Tennessee State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.