Johnson City, TN
East Tennessee State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend East Tennessee State University

Brandy

Visit the website, make sure it is easy to navigate because a lot of the resources you will need are there. Then go and visit the campus, talk to advisors, go to club meetings that you may be interested in or talk to the staff advisors of those groups. This will help you get a feel for the college.

The worst thing about my school is that it is farther away from my family than I would like. I enjoy having a lot of family time, and the level of these classes demands a lot of study time in order to make high grades like I want. I strive for a 4.0 each semester, this school really makes it easy to get IF you study hard.

This school may be bigger than the local community colleges but it is much smaller and "user friendly" than the larger state university. There are so many great classes offered it is really hard to choose what I want to take every semester, and I really have to remember to take more classes that I need as opposed to those that would be really interesting and fun.

RebaAnn

It might sound silly, but when you find the right college, you will just know. Visit all of the colleges you are thinking of attending it at all possible. When you find the right school, you'll just feel it in your bones. As for making the most of the college experience, just remember that college isn't just about making good grades and finding the perfect job. It's about finding yourself, too. Participate in activities, talk to people you wouldn't have talked to in high school, try new things, take classes just because they interest you (most majors require that you take "free electives" anyway) and just do your best to enjoy life. Always remember that your grades don't define you. And, above all, have fun. You only get one shot at this life. Make the most of it.

The professors at this school are the most caring people I've ever met. All of them seem to want their students to do well and succeed.

The digital arts section is supposedly well-known in the animation industries. There are rumors that Pixar comes directly to the school to recruit people.

Anna

most of my classmates keep to themselves, while others do like to converse.

most of my classmates keep to themselves, while others do like to converse.

it is a smaller campus and it gave me the oppurtunity to get out of my town and discover new places

Find one that has multiple things you are interested in, cost isnt what matters, it is the satisfaction and quality of the education you are getting.

Alyssa

I believe the best advice for parents and students who are trying to find the right college are choose a institution you know you will be able to make your home and one that includes the best program for your desired major. Individuals need to be able to call their college a home because the majority of the time they are spending a minimum of 5 hours at the institution, therefore they need to be able to feel at place and relaxed. Further, if this was not so certain persons would feel anxious and lonely if they could not call their college a home. Lastly, students need to be able to choose a college that will best suite them and their major. For obvious circumstances you first need to look at a college and then figure out if they provide what you want to study. Moreover, students need to then figure out the best institutions for their form of study. The main reason why we go to college is to get an education so by picking the best place for your major you are already putting yourself in front of others also in your major. who did not.

I wish I would have known that I would need a lot of self-disipline. Since I was now living on my own and I was able to make my own decisions I found it quite hard to be able to choose studying for one of my classes over going to hang out with my friends.

The worst thing about East Tennessee State University is that it is completely dead on the weekends. Since I live in the dorms on campus I wish it there were more things to do for the whole week not just the week days. Further, I also have a meal plan and the school knows not alot of people stay on the weekends therefore usually only one or two places are open and these places are the worst places there are to eat at on campus.

Tina

My classmates are very helpful and usually know what they are doing, sometimes they are the best people to ask for help or advice on projects.

Find a college where there are several majors that interests the students, just in case your initial major is not what you expect. Also, don't follow where everyone else in your graduation class is going, go where you feel you can best succeed. Remember, you are not living your life to be accepted with current friends, but where you believe you will be the happiest.

I consider the best thing about my school is the size. It is big enough to find things to do, classes to take, and clubs to join. But it's not too big where I feel overwhelmed or feel like I can't concentrate on my studies. It is just right.

Alicia

Mostly my classmates are pretty down to earth people. One of the most common things that happen around here is people have "class friends." In class you always sit next to them and talk to them like you're long term buddies, and you probably have them on facebook. However, the relationship is strictly in class for whatever reason. I find that in most classes people normally keep to themselves, whether the class has 20 kids or 200. All of my friends I have were not made through classes.

I wish that someone would have told me around my junior or senior year to really research schools. The first thing on both parent and student's mind is what is most convenient? But that should not be the first priority. If you are undeclared on what major to choose, be consciously aware of what you could possibly see yourself majoring in, and try to find a school (or a couple) that has an excelling program for the area you want to study. I also find it useful to get a little background information on the city in which the school is located so you know what you will be in for. Once you do that, your mind becomes a little less boggled and you focus on the most important thing that will come from a college career.

I think there is a fairly diverse group of people at East Tennessee State University. People looking for big-city life might want to rethink their options.

Abby

My classmates were friendly, career-focused individuals.

My classmates were friendly, career-focused individuals.

My school is a state university with the feeling of a hometown school.

The advice I would give prospective students, is to first decide who they want to be not necessarily what they want to be. Most schools offer similar educational paths. If I had wanted to be a teacher, lawyer, nurse, or even in marketing, any school would have sufficed. However, every school offers different extracurricular activities, different types of professors, and a different environment. When picking a school, it is important to take in to account all aspects of college life, not only the academics.

Charisse

Ask students that are already at that particular college their opinion on the school. Attend as much as you can before you actually enroll......look at surveys online about the school and professors.

The fitness center and the computer lab because the school takes care of it

Blake

Great!! They are always fun to meet.

Great!! They are always fun to meet.

I believe that choosing a college is one of the hardest decisions to be made in todays world. One would need to evaluate many things such as: cost, housing, types of degrees and many other things. So, my advice to the next person would be to stay informed! Things like rules now change pretty often as well as your grades, and these two things affect your financial aid which i believe is the most important thing to watch out for. Without aid from somewhere I would not be able to attend college and persue my dream of practicing Physical Therapy one day. The hardest part yet is the balance of social and school events. Here at ETSU my friends and I attend all different kinds of sporting events and social experiences. This is how we make the most of our time here at college. We meet many new people and try to learn from every experience. So, in the end, one just needs to be evaluative for the choice of school and experimental once there. This is how to find the best and do your best!

East Tennessee State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.