Johnson City, TN
East Tennessee State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend East Tennessee State University

Justin

East Tennessee State University is a very encouraging and has many oppertunites to figure out what exactly you want to do in life. I like ETSU very much because they help you with what you need and are in a timely fashion. They also involve their students a lot more than any other schools that i have been to including, sports, events, tailgates etc... Overall ETSU is a great school and would recommend ETSU to anyone looking for a smaller but very good school.

Describe a day on campus you'll never forget.

The day i will never forget is homecoming parade. All of the different fraternities and sororities show up and sport their school spirt and have a contest to compete to get the best float and win the overall homecoming. This is a tradition of ETSU and will always be a big deal for everyone that gets involved in it.

Describe a typical weekend.

The weekends at ETSU are very big thing. It gives you some down time and helps to get all the community together. Most will go to the bars and parties but there are also the sporting events and the social hangout places and the clubs that are very big deals down here. But everyone that does go out on weekends ends up having a good time.

Tell us about the food and dining options.

The food at ETSU isn't horrible but they do not offer a lot of variety at main meal. But on the campus they have several different fast food places ad some better healthy places that are good and handy for all students.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

I decided to go to ETSU because that is where I'm originally from and where i wanted to go. I had been there to see the college before and seemed like a good school for me personally to succeed at and get my life back on tract to where i wanted it to be.

What are your classes like?

Classes are very involved with many different students and are involved in helping the students go through their schooling. Some classes will vary from smaller to larger depending on if the class is going to be in a auditorium or if it will be a smaller class schedule. But the classes can be easier or can be harder depending on if you are getting into your career. Otherwise the classes are hands on and the teachers will be involved and help you get the opportunities and help you need.

The tailgates are the favorite traditions on campus for me. They involve a lot of the students and they help to promote a lot of ETSU athletics and help to join all of our community together.

Some of the stereotypes of ETSU are very biased. One that i get a lot is the "gym rat". A lot of the students at ETSU are very involved in taking care of them selves and helping others. It does happen a lot at ETSU but we all need to take care of ourselves. Another is fraternities and sororities on and off campus. Being in a fraternity we all get labeled as a "frat guy". These two stereotypes are the two biggest in my eyes.

Matthew
Describe your school to someone who's never heard of it.

Describe your school to someone who's never heard of it.

Awesome. There's so much here to do and see that there will never be a dull moment for you. I'd highly recommend it not just personally but also professionally as the classes here are top notch and there are countless career paths to study.

The students here are motivated and driven to succeed and there is an overall feeling of teamwork and fellowship on the campus.

I absolutely love East Tennessee State. Here we are surrounded with beautiful mountains and with hiking trails close, it is a great way to exercise! Not only is the surrounding atmosphere wonderful, campus is beautiful too. My favorite part about ETSU is our unique personality. After a long day in the library there are bluegrass bands that practice around campus, hearing the music is a good way to ease my mind while I walk to my car.

Greek life is a big part of my life; as a small school there are fewer sororities and fraternities, but the smaller group creates a large competition rate. This environment helps with involvement on campus, for example supporting our athletic teams is a year-round activity that greeks attend. Another great activity to participate in on campus are the intramural teams! I absolutely love flag football, water polo, and a silly game we call Wally-ball. Wally-ball is inside a racquetball court with a volleyball in the center. The majority of the game is based on volleyball rules, but the ball is allowed to hit all four walls around the court. This might seem like an easy task, but I often find myself out of breath after the game is over! Over all there are many opportunities to get involved and stay in good health at ETSU!

ETSU has a diverse student population from all over the world. Yes, it is easy for local students to attend but our athletes come from all over the world. The different personalities create a learning opportunity each day for the teachers and students. Coming in contact with a variety of unique personalities is good experience now and will help in future jobs!

As a freshman and sophomore, teachers do their best to follow up with students who are not doing well. As a junior, I have noticed that my core classes are beginning to get very interesting and very intense. Fortunately, teachers are willing to answer any questions from students.

sasan

I like everything here. I like all the professors and staff. They are really kind and professional. I found so many friends here and I play music with some of them. We had a concert in Bluegrass music. So it is new experience for me being in United States for the first time and study music in English language. I love it.

As I am studying music, so our most activities is in music and going to museums and study about music history and practicing. We have also IBB that they always announce upcoming events to all students, like games, free lunch or dinner and so on.

I have some friends. They are really cool and kind with me and most of them Christians and real believers. They most of the time invite me for games and playing music together. I also mad them one of delicious Iranian foods. " Gjormeh Sabzi"

ETSU is best know for their medical programs. Right off campus is The Quillen Medical Associates, which is a very competative medical school to get into. 1 in 5 students get in.

ETSU has amazing school spirit and they also give amazing educational opportunities.

Don't rush your high school years, they will be the easiest years of your life. Cherish every late night football game and pep rally because when college arrives the study time is so tedious that you don't get to enjoy those things as much as you used to. Study hard and take ACT practice tests, the better you do the more money you get. Get into the habit of reading material before class and doing the study guides given to you, it may seem boring but it will help you trememdously with midterms and exams. Always be yourself, because in college it doesn't matter what you wear or how you look. People on campus don't pay as much attention to you as you think they do.

Autumn

As a high school senior, my second semester was probably the busiest of my whole high school experience. I was always on the computer applying for scholarships that I wasn't even considered to receive due to such a large pool of candidates. It consumed the second semester of my senior year. I was so focused on my freshman year of college that I barely enjoyed the present at the time. I would go back and tell myself to not worry so much about the next year and enjoy the present time. I felt like I had disconnected from everyone so much just from my obsession of being able to get as little debt in school as possible.

Personally, I love the location of the college. I think of Johnson City as a college town which makes the college relatively close to many activities and places that the city offers. Academically, the school sparked interest in me. I am very excited to get started on the challenging courses they offer. The professors have already emailed me weeks before class starts about what materials I need and what I should expect in their class. The teachers are open to help us if there is anything that we don't understand or need assistance on.

I had a pretty distasteful experience at orientation and I consider this the worst thing about the university. It took a while for the professor to figure out how to get the girl before me signed up for her classes; therefore, it delayed me time to sign up for classes as well. The professor then rushed me to choose classes which was very frustrating. He said the girl after me needed time to choose her classes when I had just walked into the room which I thought was very rude.

The atmosphere its like a small little town community. Everyone is so nice and friendly. I can definitely see myself making lots of new friends. As well as the scenery surrounding the college. It is absolutely breath taking beautiful.

If I could go back to myself in high school I would tell myself to save as much as possible for school and apply to as many scholarships as possible. College is very expensive. Doing whatever you can to not have as much to pay back in the end. You will thank yourself. Plus loans are much harder now if you do not have much family help. If you can not get the amount you need the rest comes from out of pocket. This is where saving will come in handy. Having to work full time with a full time course load can be very stressful. During college the main focus schould be on education and learning the most that you can, not wondering how am I going to complete my assignment if I am working 40 hours a week. And most of all have fun, join clubs and meet new people . Enjoy your college life.

l wish before school I would have known to save as much as possible for school and apply to as many scholarships as possible. College is very expensive. Doing whatever you can to not have as much to pay back in the end. Loans are much harder now if you do not have much family help. If you can not get the amount you need it comes out of pocket. Having to work full time with a full time course load can be very stressful. And most of all have fun join clubs and meet new people.

Michelle

My classmates are mostly young, but there are many non-traditional students and all are driven and goal-oriented.

I would avise myself to remain focused and complete college while I am still young and unattached, if/when obstacles present themselves. Completing college and balancing a family is hard, but it will be easier to balance one infant in your early twenties than it is three children in your thirties. Stay committed and strong. Remember that you will not always live up to the expectations of failure imposed on you by everyone, but instead you will be an overcommer and attain satisfaction and success. You are strong, beautiful, and smart. Never lose sight of that.

I feel the variety of available programs is the best thing about ETSU.

Floyd

I would definitely tell myself to focus on better grades and develop a more concise plan to complete my undergraduate degree. During my adult career, I have been passed over a multitude of times for not having the formal education that is required for advancement. Higher education, life experience, and job knowledge is an unbeatable combination for a successful life. Start early and you will finish STRONG!

The lack of distant learning courses and degrees available online.

East Tennessee State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.