Johnson City, TN
East Tennessee State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend East Tennessee State University

Autumn

As a high school senior, my second semester was probably the busiest of my whole high school experience. I was always on the computer applying for scholarships that I wasn't even considered to receive due to such a large pool of candidates. It consumed the second semester of my senior year. I was so focused on my freshman year of college that I barely enjoyed the present at the time. I would go back and tell myself to not worry so much about the next year and enjoy the present time. I felt like I had disconnected from everyone so much just from my obsession of being able to get as little debt in school as possible.

Personally, I love the location of the college. I think of Johnson City as a college town which makes the college relatively close to many activities and places that the city offers. Academically, the school sparked interest in me. I am very excited to get started on the challenging courses they offer. The professors have already emailed me weeks before class starts about what materials I need and what I should expect in their class. The teachers are open to help us if there is anything that we don't understand or need assistance on.

I had a pretty distasteful experience at orientation and I consider this the worst thing about the university. It took a while for the professor to figure out how to get the girl before me signed up for her classes; therefore, it delayed me time to sign up for classes as well. The professor then rushed me to choose classes which was very frustrating. He said the girl after me needed time to choose her classes when I had just walked into the room which I thought was very rude.

The atmosphere its like a small little town community. Everyone is so nice and friendly. I can definitely see myself making lots of new friends. As well as the scenery surrounding the college. It is absolutely breath taking beautiful.

If I could go back to myself in high school I would tell myself to save as much as possible for school and apply to as many scholarships as possible. College is very expensive. Doing whatever you can to not have as much to pay back in the end. You will thank yourself. Plus loans are much harder now if you do not have much family help. If you can not get the amount you need the rest comes from out of pocket. This is where saving will come in handy. Having to work full time with a full time course load can be very stressful. During college the main focus schould be on education and learning the most that you can, not wondering how am I going to complete my assignment if I am working 40 hours a week. And most of all have fun, join clubs and meet new people . Enjoy your college life.

l wish before school I would have known to save as much as possible for school and apply to as many scholarships as possible. College is very expensive. Doing whatever you can to not have as much to pay back in the end. Loans are much harder now if you do not have much family help. If you can not get the amount you need it comes out of pocket. Having to work full time with a full time course load can be very stressful. And most of all have fun join clubs and meet new people.

Michelle

My classmates are mostly young, but there are many non-traditional students and all are driven and goal-oriented.

I would avise myself to remain focused and complete college while I am still young and unattached, if/when obstacles present themselves. Completing college and balancing a family is hard, but it will be easier to balance one infant in your early twenties than it is three children in your thirties. Stay committed and strong. Remember that you will not always live up to the expectations of failure imposed on you by everyone, but instead you will be an overcommer and attain satisfaction and success. You are strong, beautiful, and smart. Never lose sight of that.

I feel the variety of available programs is the best thing about ETSU.

Floyd

I would definitely tell myself to focus on better grades and develop a more concise plan to complete my undergraduate degree. During my adult career, I have been passed over a multitude of times for not having the formal education that is required for advancement. Higher education, life experience, and job knowledge is an unbeatable combination for a successful life. Start early and you will finish STRONG!

The lack of distant learning courses and degrees available online.

Brodie

My classmates are very intelligent, friendly, and great all around people.

My classmates are very intelligent, friendly, and great all around people.

Brodie, be prepared to experience the best time of your life. You have no need to be nervous, everyone in the ETSU family will welcome you. Do not be afraid to make new friends. Study hard because your education is the most important thing when it comes to college. Your future is dependant on the next four years of your life so give it one-hundred percent. You will not be a "nerd" when you get to college, everybody is there for the exact same reason that you are, to get an education. The drama that ingulfed everyone's social life will for the most part evaporate if you surround yourself with the right people. Respect what is other people's when it comes to dorm-life. Having a roommate will not be scary; your roommate will be in the same boat that you are. Enjoy yourself, do not make any dumb decisions, and take some risks that will set you apart from everyone else.

I do not think that any kind of person should not attend East Tennessee State University. The school is very welcoming to all students.

Laura

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, the advice I would give myself would be to strenuously pursue higher education and to allow my parents to keep me in the comfort of their safe, swaddling arms (and checkbook) until such learning had been completed. I would share with young Laura the value of independent wealth and I would encourage my young self to invent something wonderful (like a Snuggie) to achieve such wealth before venturing into the college and financial aid arenas. I would advise my bratty high school self to be kind and thoughtful to my "oppressive parents" and I would reassure her that their intellect is directly proportional to her aging. I would tell her to take the time and do the work and don't try finding the easy way out. I would also pontificate on the subject of accreditation so she would investigate and choose her schools wisely.

As I discussed above, the apparent shortage of phone lines and financial aid staff is what I would consider the worst thing about my school. Time is money. There are only so many tasks you can accomplish effectively and efficiently while being on hold with the financial aid department. I also think that the prolonged hold time has a negative impact on my blood pressure.

Greg

ETSU is an accreditted, medium-sized university with beautiful nearby mountains, offering many academic programs, including Liberal Arts, Business, English, foreign languages, communications, mathematics, sciences, several master's degrees, a few Ph.D. programs, a medical school, and a pharmacy school.

Generally, I would emphasize the needs both to take my studies more seriously and to change my attitude; I tended to discourage easily. Because of my father -- who was gifted in Arithmetic, as were my brothers -- these courses were especially poignant. In elementary and junior high schools and to my utter consternation, he tutored me. Memories of his constant berating, screaming, and cursing are still vivid. By the time I was in high school, my attitude suffered. Understandably, I rejected his further evocations of assistance. Moreover, my freshman Algebra teacher reminded me of my father. Before my classmates, he bellowed pejorative names and belittled my efforts. If I had the opportunity to rescue myself from my emotional problems recurring, I would offer encouragement. I would tell myself that although I may not be gifted mathematically as my father and brothers, still I surpassed many others. Simply I needed to apply myself better and to spend adequate time studying. Furthermore, I would illustrate how I was equal -- and in many cases superior -- to my family in English and foreign languages and in social and earth sciences. I would tell myself to consider college my opportunity for redemption.

Before entering my freshman year of college, I wished I had taken high school more seriously. Being a commuting freshman, I had no idea of ETSU's poor parking situation. The fact they sold more parking passes than they had available lot spaces often made getting to classes difficult. When I was in high school, we did not use book backpacks. Therefore, I began my college freshman year some days trying to carry books for three courses sometimes more than half a mile without a pack.

I would tell myself not to worry so much. You're going to be able to make good grades and have fun at the same time. The teachers will work with you to make sure you succeed. They really want you to do well. They also have free tutoring if you need a little extra help. Study groups are a great way to get ahead and make new friends at the same time. You will never be bored because there are so many things to do on campus. There are clubs, volunteering, sports, group fitness, climbing walls, swimming, dances, concerts, comedians, dinners, movies, cookouts, games, and competitions, and the best part is it's all free! You're going to love the campus. It is beautiful in every season. You'll enjoy the trees, squirrels, and bunnies you will see on your way to class. The campus is the perfect size. Not too big and not too small. Every class and office is within walking distance. It will be the perfect fit for you. You will not regret choosing East Tennessee State University.

tonya

Dear High School Self, It's ok if you don't know what you want for your life right now. When you begin college, a whole new world will open up for you. You'll meet new people, be exposed to fresh experiences, and learn more about where you fit and who you are. Breathe it in! Pay attention to your intuition and your heart. Take steps toward your dream knowing that the path may change along the way. This is your time. Enjoy the journey as you create your future and map out your path.

east tennessee state university is a great choice for those who love the outdoors! there are many opportunities for outdoor adventures as well as an on campus climbing walls and fitness/aquatics centers.

the professors are excellent and give individual attention to each student.

East Tennessee State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.