Johnson City, TN
East Tennessee State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend East Tennessee State University

Kyra
Great School

Great School

Being at ETSU makes me feel at home. Although, I don't know a lot of people, the faculty, staff, and students are great. There's not much to do that is close to campus, however, there are many recreational activities held by mostly students. The campus is absolutely beautiful, and the mountains help to give it more color in the fall.

Campus Life

Great school

Campus Life

Great school

Maigen
I really liked going to ETSU!

I really liked going to ETSU!

I chose ETSU because it had a great Criminal Justice program, and it was in a beautiful part of Tennessee. I would highly recommend attending ETSU to anyone!

I really enjoyed my time at ETSU. I made friends that I know I will have forever. I think it has great programs and like every large school sometimes struggles to keep track of everyone - and keep everyone on track. I think it's a great school to learn to have independence and find out who you want to be.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

It was far enough away from home to feel like I left, without being so far away I couldn't see my parents within a few hours. Also, the Criminal Justice program.

Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

Football is POPULAR. So is Baseball. Not sure about Basketball.

What's the hardest thing about freshman year?

Keeping up with proper nutrition, staying focused on school, not overburdening your schedule, getting enough sleep, not drinking underage...the usual stuff.

What's the dating scene like?

It's like shooting fish in a barrel here, but I'd suggest holding off dating for at least the first year. Focus on school, not on making out. It's your future. You're paying for your education, why let someone distract you from success?

What are your classes like?

Some are small and intimate - 20 people in a British Lit class. Some are huge and impersonal - 200 in a History Lecture (ugh, 8am, kill me). I really appreciated the variety!

That it's so big. Freshman probably feel overwhelmed and lost, but hopefully there's been some advancements in including them in events and groups right away.

That it's a fun school in a great location with an awesome school spirit!

People who shouldn't attend this school are those who aren't self-motivated. If you're in a class of 200 and it's a lecture class, you need to get it together and find people to study with or you're going to feel lost and unproductive.

Smart, and who aren't scared of being lost in a crowd. There are a lot of people at this school, so it's important to be outgoing. Join student groups and get out and meet people. It's not high school anymore - you aren't going to have your hand held and forced to go to events.

How hard it is to stay properly fed. Like, I didn't have a huge meal plan, figuring I wouldn't want so many meals, but I wish I had forced myself to eat more often and eat healthier.

In most classes there is a friendly and conversive atmospher among peers.

In most classes there is a friendly and conversive atmospher among peers.

Don't slack off simply because no one is making you go to class! It takes self discipline and it can be tempting, but attending class is the biggest key to success in college. When you don't attend you miss work, miss lectures, and it is so easy to slip behind. If you can get into good habits your Freshman year it won't be as difficult to make yourself go to class the following years. Have fun! Get involved and make new friends, but remember that an education is the reason you're there.

How amazing the class discussions are in vocal intensive classes.

Amber

I have yet to meet one instructor or staff member who is not eager to assist me with my courses or college experience.

It is important to slow down and not take the moment for granted. High School is one of the best times in your life. Do not rush time away by wishing to be done so soon. Although you want to make the best out of what short time is left, it is imortant to focus on the future as well. College comes faster than you think. By the end of senior year, you will be faced with many desicions you have to makes on your own. College is the real test of maturity. You will be forced to exit your comfort zone and do tasks you have never done before. It is okay to be nervous, but remeber, if it was really that difficult no one would be doing it. College is actually an easy process. The amount of information that will be launched at you at once is what make the idea of college stressful. Get in the habit of managing your time. Talk to anyone who is in college to hear about their experience to improve yours. You will miss high school, so enjoy what is left, but make sure you have a plan for the future.

It is difficult to get in touch with financial aid and recieve the right information because they have srudents who are employed in the offices.

Jenvara

I was not experience with socializing, and I was also somewhat closeminded coming from a very strict family. If I could go back in time, I would tell myself as a high school senior to join clubs, go to school events like annual picnics or athletic events, rush sororities just to experience what it is like, and to not be scared of new experiences just because I was warned against them by overly strict parents. I would also tell myself to find a balance between fun and serious; without one or the other, success is inevitable. If you have too much fun, then your future goals will be harder to attain because you got a F in a class or you did not attend classes which may impact your GPA. If you are too serious, then you miss out on the joys of life like making new friends, discovering a new skill, or love. Especially do not turn your back on love; because once you lose that love, you may never get that back. Enjoy life as it is meant to be. Live life to the fullest but do not forget your responsibilities.

The best thing about my school is accessibility to majority of the university buildings, student-friendly environment, and knowledgeable, unique professors.

I think the kind of person who shouldn't attend this school is one who does not like a semi-rural college town, non-urban lifestyle, a sense of adventure, and the ability to co-exist with local people who have very deep-seated views.

Justin

East Tennessee State University is a very encouraging and has many oppertunites to figure out what exactly you want to do in life. I like ETSU very much because they help you with what you need and are in a timely fashion. They also involve their students a lot more than any other schools that i have been to including, sports, events, tailgates etc... Overall ETSU is a great school and would recommend ETSU to anyone looking for a smaller but very good school.

Describe a day on campus you'll never forget.

The day i will never forget is homecoming parade. All of the different fraternities and sororities show up and sport their school spirt and have a contest to compete to get the best float and win the overall homecoming. This is a tradition of ETSU and will always be a big deal for everyone that gets involved in it.

Describe a typical weekend.

The weekends at ETSU are very big thing. It gives you some down time and helps to get all the community together. Most will go to the bars and parties but there are also the sporting events and the social hangout places and the clubs that are very big deals down here. But everyone that does go out on weekends ends up having a good time.

Tell us about the food and dining options.

The food at ETSU isn't horrible but they do not offer a lot of variety at main meal. But on the campus they have several different fast food places ad some better healthy places that are good and handy for all students.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

I decided to go to ETSU because that is where I'm originally from and where i wanted to go. I had been there to see the college before and seemed like a good school for me personally to succeed at and get my life back on tract to where i wanted it to be.

What are your classes like?

Classes are very involved with many different students and are involved in helping the students go through their schooling. Some classes will vary from smaller to larger depending on if the class is going to be in a auditorium or if it will be a smaller class schedule. But the classes can be easier or can be harder depending on if you are getting into your career. Otherwise the classes are hands on and the teachers will be involved and help you get the opportunities and help you need.

The tailgates are the favorite traditions on campus for me. They involve a lot of the students and they help to promote a lot of ETSU athletics and help to join all of our community together.

Some of the stereotypes of ETSU are very biased. One that i get a lot is the "gym rat". A lot of the students at ETSU are very involved in taking care of them selves and helping others. It does happen a lot at ETSU but we all need to take care of ourselves. Another is fraternities and sororities on and off campus. Being in a fraternity we all get labeled as a "frat guy". These two stereotypes are the two biggest in my eyes.

Matthew
Describe your school to someone who's never heard of it.

Describe your school to someone who's never heard of it.

Awesome. There's so much here to do and see that there will never be a dull moment for you. I'd highly recommend it not just personally but also professionally as the classes here are top notch and there are countless career paths to study.

The students here are motivated and driven to succeed and there is an overall feeling of teamwork and fellowship on the campus.

I absolutely love East Tennessee State. Here we are surrounded with beautiful mountains and with hiking trails close, it is a great way to exercise! Not only is the surrounding atmosphere wonderful, campus is beautiful too. My favorite part about ETSU is our unique personality. After a long day in the library there are bluegrass bands that practice around campus, hearing the music is a good way to ease my mind while I walk to my car.

Greek life is a big part of my life; as a small school there are fewer sororities and fraternities, but the smaller group creates a large competition rate. This environment helps with involvement on campus, for example supporting our athletic teams is a year-round activity that greeks attend. Another great activity to participate in on campus are the intramural teams! I absolutely love flag football, water polo, and a silly game we call Wally-ball. Wally-ball is inside a racquetball court with a volleyball in the center. The majority of the game is based on volleyball rules, but the ball is allowed to hit all four walls around the court. This might seem like an easy task, but I often find myself out of breath after the game is over! Over all there are many opportunities to get involved and stay in good health at ETSU!

ETSU has a diverse student population from all over the world. Yes, it is easy for local students to attend but our athletes come from all over the world. The different personalities create a learning opportunity each day for the teachers and students. Coming in contact with a variety of unique personalities is good experience now and will help in future jobs!

As a freshman and sophomore, teachers do their best to follow up with students who are not doing well. As a junior, I have noticed that my core classes are beginning to get very interesting and very intense. Fortunately, teachers are willing to answer any questions from students.

East Tennessee State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.