Johnson City, TN
East Tennessee State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend East Tennessee State University

Brodie

My classmates are very intelligent, friendly, and great all around people.

My classmates are very intelligent, friendly, and great all around people.

Brodie, be prepared to experience the best time of your life. You have no need to be nervous, everyone in the ETSU family will welcome you. Do not be afraid to make new friends. Study hard because your education is the most important thing when it comes to college. Your future is dependant on the next four years of your life so give it one-hundred percent. You will not be a "nerd" when you get to college, everybody is there for the exact same reason that you are, to get an education. The drama that ingulfed everyone's social life will for the most part evaporate if you surround yourself with the right people. Respect what is other people's when it comes to dorm-life. Having a roommate will not be scary; your roommate will be in the same boat that you are. Enjoy yourself, do not make any dumb decisions, and take some risks that will set you apart from everyone else.

I do not think that any kind of person should not attend East Tennessee State University. The school is very welcoming to all students.

Laura

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, the advice I would give myself would be to strenuously pursue higher education and to allow my parents to keep me in the comfort of their safe, swaddling arms (and checkbook) until such learning had been completed. I would share with young Laura the value of independent wealth and I would encourage my young self to invent something wonderful (like a Snuggie) to achieve such wealth before venturing into the college and financial aid arenas. I would advise my bratty high school self to be kind and thoughtful to my "oppressive parents" and I would reassure her that their intellect is directly proportional to her aging. I would tell her to take the time and do the work and don't try finding the easy way out. I would also pontificate on the subject of accreditation so she would investigate and choose her schools wisely.

As I discussed above, the apparent shortage of phone lines and financial aid staff is what I would consider the worst thing about my school. Time is money. There are only so many tasks you can accomplish effectively and efficiently while being on hold with the financial aid department. I also think that the prolonged hold time has a negative impact on my blood pressure.

Greg

ETSU is an accreditted, medium-sized university with beautiful nearby mountains, offering many academic programs, including Liberal Arts, Business, English, foreign languages, communications, mathematics, sciences, several master's degrees, a few Ph.D. programs, a medical school, and a pharmacy school.

Generally, I would emphasize the needs both to take my studies more seriously and to change my attitude; I tended to discourage easily. Because of my father -- who was gifted in Arithmetic, as were my brothers -- these courses were especially poignant. In elementary and junior high schools and to my utter consternation, he tutored me. Memories of his constant berating, screaming, and cursing are still vivid. By the time I was in high school, my attitude suffered. Understandably, I rejected his further evocations of assistance. Moreover, my freshman Algebra teacher reminded me of my father. Before my classmates, he bellowed pejorative names and belittled my efforts. If I had the opportunity to rescue myself from my emotional problems recurring, I would offer encouragement. I would tell myself that although I may not be gifted mathematically as my father and brothers, still I surpassed many others. Simply I needed to apply myself better and to spend adequate time studying. Furthermore, I would illustrate how I was equal -- and in many cases superior -- to my family in English and foreign languages and in social and earth sciences. I would tell myself to consider college my opportunity for redemption.

Before entering my freshman year of college, I wished I had taken high school more seriously. Being a commuting freshman, I had no idea of ETSU's poor parking situation. The fact they sold more parking passes than they had available lot spaces often made getting to classes difficult. When I was in high school, we did not use book backpacks. Therefore, I began my college freshman year some days trying to carry books for three courses sometimes more than half a mile without a pack.

I would tell myself not to worry so much. You're going to be able to make good grades and have fun at the same time. The teachers will work with you to make sure you succeed. They really want you to do well. They also have free tutoring if you need a little extra help. Study groups are a great way to get ahead and make new friends at the same time. You will never be bored because there are so many things to do on campus. There are clubs, volunteering, sports, group fitness, climbing walls, swimming, dances, concerts, comedians, dinners, movies, cookouts, games, and competitions, and the best part is it's all free! You're going to love the campus. It is beautiful in every season. You'll enjoy the trees, squirrels, and bunnies you will see on your way to class. The campus is the perfect size. Not too big and not too small. Every class and office is within walking distance. It will be the perfect fit for you. You will not regret choosing East Tennessee State University.

tonya

Dear High School Self, It's ok if you don't know what you want for your life right now. When you begin college, a whole new world will open up for you. You'll meet new people, be exposed to fresh experiences, and learn more about where you fit and who you are. Breathe it in! Pay attention to your intuition and your heart. Take steps toward your dream knowing that the path may change along the way. This is your time. Enjoy the journey as you create your future and map out your path.

east tennessee state university is a great choice for those who love the outdoors! there are many opportunities for outdoor adventures as well as an on campus climbing walls and fitness/aquatics centers.

the professors are excellent and give individual attention to each student.

Marcie

East Tennessee State University: Big College Campus, Small Campus Feel.

East Tennessee State University: Big College Campus, Small Campus Feel.

As a senior in high school, I clearly had all the answers. I knew where I wanted to go to college and who I wanted to be (an interior designer). I had it all laid out: Marcie's Future: A Step by Step Guide to All Things College. I was wrong. On my third day of college, I realized that I couldn't draw and thus couldn't major in interior design! I was devistated for about five minutes until I realized that the choices and possibilities are endless when you go to college. My advice to myself would be to keep my heart and mind open to the many possibilities that await you. Be brave and bold in your choices about college and life in general. Don't place yourself into one specific category, branch out and re-discover yourself. College is always a choice, so choose to relax and enjoy it!

When I attended ETSU, the only real frustration I had was parking on the campus. It was oftentimes difficult to find a parking spot close the the building you needed to visit and I would get annoyed by that. However, I know the college has been working to improve this situation.

James

ETSU is mainly known for its Medical and Business programs. They are some of the top programs for both undergraduate and graduate in the nation.

If I could go back and talk to myself as a senior, I would tell myself to not spend money on fast food all the time, don't get caught up in peer pressure by drinking and partying, and take my grades seriously for the first year. All of these things may seem fun in the present, but in the future you will have to grow up and take responsiblity for the things that you did when you were 18. Your grades won't be as good as they could have been and you might have a little more money saved up in case of an emergency. More importantly I would tell myself to stay true to yourself and friends that you make, because they will get you through the hard times as well as the easy times.

The most frustrating thing about ETSU is the lack of support for the athletic department. ETSU has been known to be a commuting school with only 3,000 out of 15,000 living on campus, which makes it difficult to get students to come out and watch athletic events. While are teams are not great, they still need the support of students and fans to grow into a school that in the future could be known for not only its medical and business programs, but athletics as well.

Kirsten

Hello, Self. You might be in a place right now that you don't understand and are going through challenges that seems to keep knocking you down. Well, guess what? I'm here to tell you that it gets better. Everything you doubt about yourself and every moment that keeps adding to the list of "mistakes" turns into something more. Each choice that you make (good or iffy) reaps optimistic circumstances and makes you a better...YOU. Give ETSU your best and absorb the community for all it's worth. You can't screw up because no matter what you do you will grow into the woman you want to be. You are smart. Everyone around you wants to lend a helping hand--swallow that pride and embrace this chance for everything it gives you. I know you have it in you. Never doubt that! Carpe Diem!

I wish I knew more about the opportunities and the certain specifications about scholarships that could have helped me later on, but overall I wish I knew how much this place would mean to me. I judged the small campus and in turn it teached me a lot about community, team work, and dedication. I'm still learning and growing each day!

Someone who likes an open, kind, and interactive community. They like the mountainous environment and enjoy hiking and being in classes that are smaller, yet efficient. There's help and scholarships at every corner and a place to escape in your studies. ETSU is a place to call home.

Jeffery

You need to put your heart and mind into your college education. Soak up all that you can from professors and other faculty and staff. This is your time to shine. You need to make your college experience more than a piece of paper. Anyone can get a piece of paper. Are you in college to get that piece of paper or to learn? What you learn in college will be useful throughout life.

East Tennessee State University is a relatively small campus. The online program is great.

ETSU has become my home away from home.

ETSU has become my home away from home.

If i could go back and give myself advice it would be to open up my eyes and enjoy life. I changed schools many times so I was always the "new kid". This brought out my insecurities, and I kept mostly to myself. I missed out on prom and so many other things that I regret now. I wish I could have told myself that I am an amazing person, and can do anything I set my mind to! There are many things I missed out on in high school, and I refuse to do that in college. I am more involved on campus, with charity work, and have opened up more to meeting new people. I can honestly say I have learned and grown into a much wiser and happier young woman.

The best thing about my school is the beautiful surrounding area. East tennessee is known for mountains, lakes, and hiking trails. It is a great way to escape from the hectic stress of school. Many students are outdoors all year long from swimming in the summer to snowboarding in the wnter. The area around ETSU offers a playground to the avid outdoorswoman, me :).

East Tennessee State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.