East Tennessee State University

« See more reviews of East Tennessee State University

For a smaller school, we are an especially diverse student body. We have a large student exchange and study abroad program that brings people from all over the world to ETSU and allows students at ETSU the chance to experience a different culture in another part of the world. They also arrange a week of information and demonstrations around studying abroad and different cultures/countries. There are many scholerships available and studetns can choose to study at a different school in the US or in a foreign country for a semester or a few weeks in the summer. Last semester my roommate and I planned an international potluck at our apartment and ended up having about forty students from at least a dozen different countries on four different continents come. One of our founding principles is diversity and I believe we embody it well. We have a large asian exchange student population as well as many eastern and western europeans. We have a large african american population as well. There is a japanese club, a gospel choir, and an LGBTs group. We do not have a very large middle-eastern or south american population. I would guess that most of the students at ETSU are middle class. For low SES students or first generation students, there are support servies that include free tutoring in many of the harder classes including the math sciences. There are around a dozen different campus ministries that meet on campus, and each semester they hold a unit service where they all come together to worship. There is definitely a large Christian segment of the student body but there are people of other religions as well.

I don't think anyone can feel out of place at ETSU. I sincerely and honestly mean that, and I would tell anyone that. It's even shocking for someone like my mother when she would come to campus for whatever reason, because she would see how diverse it is. In any classroom, you will find a near equal ration of male and female students. There are black students and white students and Asian students and Hispanic students -- just to name a few. You will see students with blue hair who are going to an "Anime Club" meeting, and students with long hair and beards riding bikes around campus. You'll see people wearing suits and some people wearing pajamas at any given time of the day. And no one discriminates. ETSU hosts a lot of speakers throughout the semester. In the auditorium for the DP Culp Center you will always see an advertisement for some free event or debate coming up. I have seen the actor/bodybuilder Lou Ferigno talk about his hearing disability and his life as an actor. I have seen Ron Jeremy debate pastor Craig Gross about the porn industry. I have even seen the comedian Gabriel Iglesias perform on campus. Despite this school being set in "East Tennessee," it is certainly not limited to the stereotypes of the region. You will find much more than students from an agricultural community attending classes -- you will see students from around the world and from all walks of life. And if there is one thing I am sure of about ETSU, it is that.

There is a very wide variety of students at ETSU. Just walking around campus you will primarily see White, Black, and Asian races on campus. The types of students most heavily include: preppy sorority/fraternity girls and guys, hippies, athletic/ "outdoorsy," artsy, religious, and older going-back-to-school students. These are just a few examples of the types of students you will see on campus. ETSU is primarily middle-class white students, though. The thing about ETSU students is that you will find a wide variety, but like groups really stay together. You don't really see a mixed group of friends walking around. But that can be expected. People like to stay near people who are like them, especially in college because you literally have to live with these people and it's nice to make your experience as comfortable as possible. Political views are not really a big deal on campus. We do have both Collegiate Republicans and Democrats clubs, but you won't see students getting into heated debates over politics.

Our campus has every walk of life represented. I honestly feel that there is no student that is welcomed onto our campus. Most students wear causal clothing to class. Some where business causal because of the jobs or positions they hold on campus. All types of students, faculty, and staff interact at ETSU. While most people come from the surrounding Application area, ETSU has students from all across the world. Most students would be classified as being in the middle of "middle class." ETSU does have a very strong group of students that are politically award and active. We have both a College of Republicans and College of Democrats student groups, which play very active roles on our campus. Students don't really discuss about what they will be earning one day, they are in their major because they love that field of study.

Since we are a state-supported university we have added benefit of welcoming students from all walks of life and socio-economic statuses. Students are welcome to create their own university recognized organizations on campus, so if one is not available it can be made. Religious diversity is evident with Christian, Muslim, and other religious organizations on campus. Most students dress casually for class and many wear ETSU logo shirts or their fraternity or sorority letter shirts. Many of the students are from the surrounding region but it is not uncommon to find students who are from many hours and states away. I would say the middle class is the financial background that is most present on campus. Students are more goal driven and are concerned about their future life one day.

We have ALL kinds of students here at ETSU and there is an organization or club for everyone. The student involvement on campus is amazing and it really improves the overall experience. We have a very casual school where most students come in jeans and t-shirts but there are of course those that choose to dress up for class. Regardless of your preferences, there will be at least one person wearing something similar to you in your classes. Most of the religious groups on campus are Christian (we have at least 4 Christian organizations that I know of), but we also have groups for Atheists/Agnostics and Buddhists.

This campus has all types of students. Our campus represents students of multiple races, countries, sexual preferance, and socio-economical standings. Students dress up all types of ways for classes: some dress up, others wear sweatpants, some have bright hair, goths, emos, skaters, jocks, preps. Most students are from Northeast Tennessee. Students are very politically aware. The campus in general leans towards the left, but there is a strong population of rights. Both sides have clubs on campus that are very active.

Mostly my classmates are pretty down to earth people. One of the most common things that happen around here is people have "class friends." In class you always sit next to them and talk to them like you're long term buddies, and you probably have them on facebook. However, the relationship is strictly in class for whatever reason. I find that in most classes people normally keep to themselves, whether the class has 20 kids or 200. All of my friends I have were not made through classes.

There is a lot of diversity among students and staff at ETSU. There are many ethnic backgrounds here, which makes the classes better in my opinion. We can all learn from each other. You will see a lot of different backgrounds here, some wealthy, middle class, and lower class incomes. Everyone is treated with respect and dignity however. I don't think that there is any group that would feel out of place at ETSU. We welcome everyone from all backgrounds. The more the merrier!

This area of the country normally leans to the right politics wise. However, students on this campus are more liberal than the rest of this area. Our campus has many cultures represented. Predominantly, the campus is made of Caucasian students. I have had classes with students from Japan, Russia, Brazil, and Ecuador. Students here express themselves through their clothing. While some chose to wear sweats and a t-shirt to class, others show off their originality.