East Tennessee State University

« See more reviews of East Tennessee State University

Great!! They are always fun to meet.

My classmates are very random.

The student population is diverse. Some are well-versed in their politics and capable of winning educated debates with other students. However, students tend to gather with those like themselves. Although they naturally segregate, four different groups of students could mix into four new groups and find common ground. We have progressive groups for almost every sect of people: LGBT, Republicans, Democrats, environmentalists, racial equality groups, support groups. We also have a number of clubs and athletic groups. Students are active in organizing new groups and getting sponsors for their cause. Anyone could make friends here. We have straights and freaks. Some come from wealthy families, and some are struggling to finance their education while supporting a family. Different types of students interact with each other in class, but I cannot speak for what they do outside of class. At some parties that I have attended, everyone mingles despite differences. ETSU students don't seem to have issues with embracing diversity. In any given classroom, one could find a student in pajamas, a girl who looks like she's going clubbing, a guy who just came from the gym, a stoner eating throughout the entire class period, a kid with headphones in yet not listening to them, the student who is on facebook all class, the student who raises his hand for everything, the student who turns every topic into one about social injustice, the sorority girl, the frat boy, the SGA senator who always looks like they are going ot an important meeting, the punk, the hipster and a variety of others. Most of the students are from within two hundred miles of the school and getting in-state tuition. Some are very determined while others are just in school because it seemed like the right thing to do after high school.

ETSU has a diverse student population from all over the world. Yes, it is easy for local students to attend but our athletes come from all over the world. The different personalities create a learning opportunity each day for the teachers and students. Coming in contact with a variety of unique personalities is good experience now and will help in future jobs!