East Tennessee State University

« See more reviews of East Tennessee State University

ETSU is the perfect size. Not too big, and not too small. ETSU is at the very core of Johnson City and has many different options for students. Where else can you major in Bluegrass, Old Time, and Country music, or get your masters in Storytelling? One of the most common student complaints, is that of parking. However with in the next 2 years, this will no longer be an issue as plans are already finalized for a new parking garage!

I have had such a wonderful experience at ETSU. The schedules are flexible and will fit anyone's schedule. The professors and staff are very caring. They want you to be successful, and are there to help you whenever you need help. There is free tutoring for most classes if you need extra help. I am very happy with my experience here.

I like everything here. I like all the professors and staff. They are really kind and professional. I found so many friends here and I play music with some of them. We had a concert in Bluegrass music. So it is new experience for me being in United States for the first time and study music in English language. I love it.

I really enjoyed my time at ETSU. I made friends that I know I will have forever. I think it has great programs and like every large school sometimes struggles to keep track of everyone - and keep everyone on track. I think it's a great school to learn to have independence and find out who you want to be.

I would reccommend ETSU to prospective students if the school has their major. It is a standard college. Some of the teachers are incredible and inspiring while others are out of touch and should probably retire. The president recently retired, and a younger man with little experience will be taking his position. The size of the school is average; classes usually have 15-30 people in them unless they are in an auditorium. Parking is limited, but a 21 million dollar parking garage is being built. Students can take the Bucshot shuttle from distant parking. Most of my time on campus is spent in class or at my scholarship job. The library is large and full of books and computers. My computer was broken for a semester and I was able to get all my homework done in the library. It is classy and quiet. I enjoy the outdoors and often go hiking at Buffalo Mtn., Roan Mtn., and Holston Mtn. I spent a summer working on the Nolichucky River as a raft guide. If people are interested in exploring but having the advantages of living in a town, this location is prime. Johnson City is demographically a college town, but downtown is small and although people get bucwild, the crime rate is low and the town is well-maintained. We don't have a football team so school spirit is not necessarily through the roof. One of the biggest controversies at the school is the smoking policy. The school is supposed to be tobacco free except in personal vehicles, but students and faculty smoke and dip on campus. I think the school should accomodate all types of students by providing ash trays or a smoking area. Smoking has almost become a sign of protest. Throwing butts on the ground is many students' way of saying "fuck your policy" as well as smoking near the entrance to a main building. Our mascot is the buccaneer, in layman's terms, a mountain pirate. In my opinion, the school should begin calling themselves the mountain pirates. I lived in a dorm my first year and had a meal plan. It was a complete waste of money. I recommend living off campus in the historic tree streets neighborhood next to campus. I lived there for two years in a house that was over one hundred years old. Johnson City is an excellent place to live for people who prefer a slow paced yet progressive city. ETSU has been an excellent place for me to meet like-minded people and to get the degree I need and the experience to apply my education.

ETSU is an amazing place with a very unique culture. What I enjoy most about ETSU is its' adaptability to student needs. I have found that any student that wants to invest energy and time into ETSU they will have a highly rewarding experience. The administration office is deeply concerned about student needs and overall happiness. I spend a great deal of my time working in the Student Government office, doing research for my thesis, planning Homecoming, serving on a variety of committees, or simple studying and attending classes.

East Tennessee State University is a very encouraging and has many oppertunites to figure out what exactly you want to do in life. I like ETSU very much because they help you with what you need and are in a timely fashion. They also involve their students a lot more than any other schools that i have been to including, sports, events, tailgates etc... Overall ETSU is a great school and would recommend ETSU to anyone looking for a smaller but very good school.

I absolutely love East Tennessee State. Here we are surrounded with beautiful mountains and with hiking trails close, it is a great way to exercise! Not only is the surrounding atmosphere wonderful, campus is beautiful too. My favorite part about ETSU is our unique personality. After a long day in the library there are bluegrass bands that practice around campus, hearing the music is a good way to ease my mind while I walk to my car.

I love ETSU it was my dream school and I got in.