East Tennessee State University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for East Tennessee State University

Mikaela

East Tennessee State University is a wonderfully diverse institution in the shadow of the Appalachian Mountains. The art and science programs are excellent, the staff is impeccable, and the location makes for the perfect learning environment. I absolutely love going to ETSU, and can't imagine going anywhere else.

Kyra

Being at ETSU makes me feel at home. Although, I don't know a lot of people, the faculty, staff, and students are great. There's not much to do that is close to campus, however, there are many recreational activities held by mostly students. The campus is absolutely beautiful, and the mountains help to give it more color in the fall.

Chante'

I like it, they showed me the money so it's been a great investment for me. The teachers are caring and the communities I have joined encourage me to get involved on campus. I joined the newspaper and discovered that I have a passion for journalism. I transferred here my Junior year on the Midway Honors Scholarship; which covers full tuition and gives a $500 book stipend per semester. I will be a senior this year and it will be my second semester being an RA, so I have on-housing pretty much paid for. I came to the university during the era where I was not required to but a $1,000+ meal plan. I save money by not having a meal plan. Speaking of meal plans, ETSU is renovating our café so; we will have food trucks this year. Overall, I'm glad I came here.

Caroline

Good school, takes academics very seriously. Allows a safe place for your voice to be heard. Encourages diversity, encourages involvement on campus. Offers a variety of opportunities on and off-campus. Is a great launch pad into any career. The people there really care about your success in school, and see to it that you do succeed.

ETSU is a great school for people who want to feel safe and not venture out that much. Living in JC my whole life going there was not a big deal, but it does have a good environment for people that want to get involved. Academics are good, teachers are available, and sports are getting there.

Maigen

I chose ETSU because it had a great Criminal Justice program, and it was in a beautiful part of Tennessee. I would highly recommend attending ETSU to anyone!

Anthony

East Tennessee State University is a college close to various things to do around the area. It is also a University that has many art and cultural things that take place. It is not just a sports centered university it is multicultural and multi ethnic campus

Great school

Corey

ETSU is absolutely terrific. 95% of the teachers I've had are there to help and genuinely care about your grade. The scenery around campus is beautiful and going downtown on the weekends makes the campus jump with activity. The is almost always something happening to get students involved on campus. Not to mention the food is fantastic.

JoAnna

ETSU is a college of many things. Overall it is a great place to go if you want to be involved in programs dealing mostly with the sciences and the arts. It can be a bit of a party campus in a positive way. There's stuff going on just about every night whether it's planned by the residence hall association or by the various clubs across the campus. It's a very culture enriching campus too. There is a lot of diversity. It also has many foreign language courses online and in the classroom. You just have to choose. There's plenty to eat and do fun and academically at ETSU, so I would recommend it to anyone who is willing to put in the effort to study.

i will go here

Grace

The overall experience is fine. Most classes are a reasonable size and the professors are generally good about helping you if you are putting in the effort. I like the classes specific to my major/s the best, but every class that I have taken that is not an entry level gen ed I have enjoyed.

Garrett

Excellent school with a great atmosphere for learning and for fun.

Amber

East Tennessee State University is an excellent school that holds a wide diversity of majors and minors. There is great art all around campus. The Cave is an awesome place to meet new people. There are a lot of shops in close proximity to ETSU, so it would be easy to get anything.

Abigail

I like it a lot. I do have an issue though. Getting into the nursing program is a pain in the rear, I could get a semester ahead by taking a couple classes this summer but then I'd have to wait until the spring semester to get into the nursing program. They should make it more like Tennessee Tech's rules which allow students to still be working on major classes when they apply. I'm looking to transfer to that school because of that.

Madeline

I absolutely fell in love with ETSU when I first visited back in February. The Staff and students there welcomed me in like I was already a part of the ETSU family when I hadn't even decided where I was going to school yet. The campus is absolutely beautiful, everyone is so friendly and Johnson City is such a great place to be! I give East Tennessee State University a 10/10 in my book.

Aspen

This school is outgoing and just has an amazing atmosphere. I recommend it to every highschool student, especially when they're nervous about college and leaving home for the first time. You don't hear about shootings or many robberies, it's a safe campus for the most part. Everyone is friendly and talkative; including the professors, janitors, workers, -'d even our president!! The classes are somewhat big but you also have the choice of choosing smaller classes if you prefer that. The professors are more one-on-one than most colleges. They actually want you to graduate, instead of them just getting paid to be there. It's an all-around great university!

Mikayla

I honestly really enjoy and love it at East Tennessee State University! There is always something to do and stuff that is always going on, whether that be sports, extra credit opportunities, activities for any student. I love having the opportunity to be able to go out any day of the week and being able to be involved with all the different activities! It is also a very pretty campus!

Whitney

East Tennessee State University is an amazing place to be apart of a social life while also diving into academics. There are always things to do on campus, and always new people to meet. The school itself is amazing, and so is Johnson city. You will not regret attending this University!

KRISTINA

East Tennessee State University has a lively campus with an appreciation of many aspects of student life. There is a place for every one, whether it be on a stage, in a classroom, your dorm room, the football field, the band room, etc. Student life on and off campus are a fun atmosphere.

Abigail

I really enjoy the Main Campus and also enjoy the Kingsport Campus. I took my first two years at the Kingsport Campus and really enjoyed the small class sizes and amazing professors! All professors seemed to care if you put in the effort to learn about what they were teaching.

ETSU is a great environment. The campus is small for a state school, which makes getting to class easier. It is located in Johnson City, which is a beautiful location. There is so much to do, and major cities, such as Knoxville and Asheville, are nearby. The people are always friendly, and the professors are very helpful/

Zak

ETSU is one of the cheapest universities in the state to go to. They have a high emphasis on health-oriented programs, yet still manage to keep a thriving Arts focus. The sciences that are not health focus, however, tend to be lacking are one of ETSU's weaknesses. That being said, ETSU is a great school to attend and is constantly growing and looking for ways to promote their students. If you are actively looking for things to participate in you will excel. If you are not, then you will only see the school as mediocre.

Overall, I love East Tennessee State University! As an out of state student, I was very nervous about moving to Eastern Tennessee, but all of the students and faculty try their hardest to make ETSU feel like a second home. Everyone on ETSU's campus is friendly and willing to help people when they have a problem. When I was having trouble during my fall semester, a friend offered to sit with me until I felt better. Another time, a complete stranger offered to help me when I was having trouble before exams. The campus also has beautiful scenery near by, such as the Tweetsie Trail, and Buffalo Mountain. ETSU also offers unique majors such as a BA degree in Old Time, Bluegrass, and Country music. As an fiddle player, I love ETSU for this degree, and am actually pursuing a Minor in Bluegrass Music! Overall, I love East Tennessee State University! I love the campus because of the friendly people, the beautiful scenery, and the unique Majors that the campus offers. If anyone were to ask me 'Are you proud to be a Buccaneer?' I'd reply with a 'Yeah I'm proud to be a Buccaneer!'

Ahliyah

It is a good college with great oppurtunity especially for someone in my field because it has a good program for digital and media work and offers courses that can help students get certifications in stuff like adobe. One of the first thing I noticed is ow much my advisors care about me and make an actual effort to respond whenever I contact them with a question.

Shandanee

East Tennessee State is a great University. Everyone on campus is so nice, especially the faculty/stuff; if you are ever needing help with anything they are there to help you. Sometimes if you stay in content with them they will go out their way to help you even more. I think the most important people on campus is your adviser, because one they help you to find the perfect schedule; for instated if you're playing sports they will make sure that all your classes will be done before 3, and if your not a morning person they can make it to were you have afternoon/evening classes if its available. What I love the most is the fact that the present of the university is so invalid with everything on campus.

Anastasia

It's a great school. I feel right at home there. On any given day, I usually feel safe. Sometimes things happen, but first responders are usually right on top of things. The food could use some work, aside from what restaurants are on campus. My only real issue is making payments to the bursar without feeling like I would be purged from classes because I can't pay what I owe in the time frame it's due.

Shelby

I love ETSU so much! It's just the right size college I was looking for. Everyone is so nice and friendly and it's super easy to make a ton of friends. There is always something going on on campus. Football is really big here and it's always fun when football season comes around and you get to hangout with people tailgating.

Celeste

Beautiful campus, friendly people, and my teachers are dedicated and challenging.

Kellie

East Tennessee State University is a pretty well rounded school in my opinion. We have great facilities available on campus that are up to date. There is a wide variety of food options for people who may live on campus and cannot get around the city very easily. Currently a football stadium is being built which is very exciting for us students. I am in a small knit program, and all of our professors and faculty are wonderful and are always there when any of the students are in need of help.

Tamika

Great school very learning based

Quantavious

It is a nice cool (both academically and socially) that I would recommend. I'm not going to lie though at times it can get boring around here but that's every college campus. There are a lot of different clubs, sororities, etc. that you can get involved with on your free time.

prabhjot

East Tennessee Sate University overall is good school and is providing good education with the good price of tuition fee of in state and out of state compare other universities the other states . it is beautiful campus surrounded by Mountains if you are mountain person . you should definitely check this school out. teachers are very helpful and will reach out to you if you need help all you do is get in contact with them. if you are doing pre med or pre pharm or nursing , East Tennessee also has medical school , pharmacy and nursing school along with if you want to persue a degree in public or going for masters or Phd , you can go ahead apply graduate school here as well. there is a lot of extra circular activities that you can participate, there is alot of opportunities for aboard studies.

Makaley

ETSU is like a small community. It feels like my home away from home. It is a perfect fit for me. It has all I need and more. I am proud to attend ETSU. I am not from Johnson City, but once I graduate I would still like to be a part of the Buccaneer Community.

Khiara

ETSU is a great university. The students here are friendly and you are bound to meet someone from every walk of life. There are over 200 clubs and organizations for students to get involved in. There are many Christian organizations for those looking to continue their journey. There are many International students and opportunities for study abroad. If you don’t find something to get involved in, you didn’t want to.

I love it here. Everyone is so nice and willing to help. There are plenty of activities to get involved in. Teachers are pretty cool and are willing to help and explain things to where you can understand them better. Living on campus is cool too because you meet other students who are all over the world and you can learn more about their culture.

Kaitlin

Overall, ETSU is a great university, but it does have a few issues. Like most colleges, it has parties, but they are only a distraction if the student attends them. The meal plan is expensive considering that the food is not great for those that do not eat meat and we are forced to have one simply because we chose to live on campus.

Manya

I have not began my course work just yet, but as far as I can tell.. East Tennessee State University has a lot of work to do. I just graduated from graduate school at Colorado Technical University with a G.P.A. 3.28 which is pretty close to a 4.0. However, that is not the problem. I am told that I need a copy of all of college transcripts from every school that I attended. Then I read that sometimes if the financial aid department may ask for tax transcripts from the I.R.S. OK, that is a bit much, I have never read that any school may ask for a tax transcript. If they do not watch what they are doing they may wish that did know what they were doing. Meaning someone is going to report them for asking for pertinent information such as tax transcripts. My advisor from the graduate studies department does not keep in contact with her students. I put in a request fora transcript that she could download and look at it, and she never did. So I want to give them the benefit of the doubt. But if they do not improve their behaviors then I guess I need to inform the the federal government about what they are doing in the financial aid department.

McKenzie

Overall, I love East Tennessee State University (ETSU). ETSU offers a safe learning environment for all types of students. The food on campus could be improved as well as on campus housing, but I never feel unsafe walking across campus alone. ETSU is a wonderful university, and I wouldn't have wanted to attend any other university.

Jaxon

Most of the teachers on campus do a good job keeping the class involved and giving us opportunities to keep our grades up. Housing isn't the best, but the wifi almost never lets you down. The campus itself is absolutely gorgeous. I would recommend ETSU to any of my friends who are looking for a college.

Joshua

ETSU is one of the greatest universities to attend. It has been very accommodating to my friends and I. The staff at this university are more of a family member than a person in authority. ETSU has been the best place to experience my undergraduate degree at.

Natalie

I feel that ETSU is a great school, especially for those who want to go to school for an education and not the party scene. There are many athletes on and around campus. I feel that professors are very easy to communicate with and very understanding of all of life's circumstances that may impact your academic work.

East Tennessee State University is a excellent school. All the professor are really helpful and willing to meet with the students to talk about their academic status. The staff is very friendly and informative. The students are very involved on campus and it’s an environment where it’s easy to make new friends. I feel like ETSU is a place where I can call home. I feel very safe and comfortable, I made a lot of friends that I consider part of my family. It’s a place where you can get your education done and you can also have some fun. The campus are full of activities including diversity groups and culture.

Will

East Tennessee State University is a place I feel comfortable at and love being a part of. It is more than just a college; it is a family. Everyone has a strong connection with the university, both the campus and its spirit. For me, East Tennessee State is like a second home.

Roxy

East Tennessee State University has provided me with so many new opportunities in my first year. It is a great school and I truly could not imagine going anywhere else to further my education. The professors, campus life, and college as a whole is wonderful. Go Bucs!

LaDarius

East Tennessee State University is a great school with very accessible professors and awesome facilities including the library and gym. On campus housing is great and highly recommended for incoming freshmen because of the many conveniences it creates. Overall, it's a great school full of great experiences.

Faith

I believe East Tennessee State University is a wonderful school! The reason I love this school is because of the staff. Since my first year attending I've noticed all the professors are very thoughtful about their students. Also, the campus is nice during every season, so even though you might be freezing during December weather you will be more than grateful to attend this school.

Savannah

I am absolutely in love with ETSU! I made the best college choice possible. I feel totally at home here in the mountains, and there is something here for everyone! Whether you want greek life, arts, athletics, or a great library, we have it all! We are super well-rounded, while still maintaining a modest number of students! Not to mention a plethora of grad programs right here!! I highly recommend this university!

Tanner

East Tennessee State University provides a unique opportunity for anyone who would like to further themselves as not only a student, but as a person. The well-versed staff, in particular those involved in the Digital Media program, are always willing to help and are very supportive of each decision made by the student.

Victoria

Great professors, and a wonderful public health program. There are lots of opportunities to get involved on campus. I do wish that the student body felt more involved in decision making with huge changes, like the football field and the new renovations. A lot of us feel like we are the ones uninformed, but we are paying for it anyway.