Eastern Connecticut State University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Eastern Connecticut State University

Arin

I like being at Eastern, mainly because the campus and class sizes are smaller, which is nice compared to other colleges like UConn. Overall, the college is beautiful and friendly, even if it can be a bit boring when the winter season comes around, only because it can be difficult to get to and from classes and such.

Eastern is a good school depending on what your program is. It is known for education and education students seem to like it. However, I have heard nothing but absolute horrible things about the social work program, so I would recommend going somewhere else for that. The communication department is ok, but definitely could use some better professors in the video production area. English department was really great though, they always have new interesting classes to take every semester! There are lots of things to do! There are free theatre shows at least twice a semester, multiple free student events every week (like free food, shirts, games, raffles) and lots of trips to NYC and other places. Also, housing is amazing! Freshman can get their own en-suite bathrooms and a lot of the upperclassmen dorms have singles and kitchens. Overall, I enjoyed my time at Eastern. I wish that the academics were a little better, but I am still fine with my experience.

Cora

its a nice campus, a little small but the perfect size to get to know people in your clsss

Marissa

Eastern Connectiticut State University has a great campus that makes you feel safe and welcome. When you are here it does not feel like you're in Willimantic, it is a completely different atmosphere ( which is a good thing). The professors and the staff here always do whatever they can to help you have a positive and successful college experience.

Victoria

I really enjoyed visiting Eastern the first time and when I went there for Orientation, it was pretty nice. Every one was very welcoming and answered any questions I might of had. The dorms were nice, albeit a bit small. The food was great and also catered to people who were vegetarian. Overall, I'd give Eastern a 5.

Fitore

Much too strict for a college (freshmen students are treated like they're in high school instead of actual adults). However, really good in some aspects; like small class sizes, professor availability, and how close everyone is within the residence halls.

Tameron

I believe that Eastern Connecticut State University is a really good school for someone who is looking for a smaller university. I you want a larger university, eastern would be the wrong choice. It is very easy to get in touch with professors and the atmosphere on campus is quite positive.

Chelsea

It's good for commuters and people who go home on weekends. Might as well be a community college. Boring on the weekend and at night. Dry campus. One dining hall, closes at 8. Small campus, ten minute walk from one end to the other.

Danielle

All of my memories on this campus have been wonderful - from my first day on campus holding a shaky map up to an incredibly kind senior for directions to my last semester as a senior, meeting professors who educate with passion and experience, I couldn't have asked for better guidance through my journey in higher education and I know I am prepared to confidently enter my profession with the knowledge I have gained.

Esther

Eastern Connecticut State University is better than I ever dreamed. I am a music major and the Fine Arts Instuctional Building is brand new with lots of windows. The technology is spectacular and all the rooms look new and clean. The campus lawns are thick and green. The trees lining the walkways are beautiful when they are all in bloom. The teachers are gracious and reach out to help their students as much as possible. The students are sociable and friendly. I love the atmosphere and look forward to returning in the fall.

Carla

Eastern is a great college, they offer a lot of support especially to new informers. They love questions which is great because I had a lot, and they are so nice. Their ‘socks’ are incredibly helpful and make me want to come to Eastern even more. The freedom is new and amazing, the large campus is overwhelming but I couldn’t be more excited to go.

Daianira

Its a great school with a perfect size not to big not to small. It always has transportation. The group off financial aid it’s really good and help to with anything. Give you options and making the students comfortable. The lay out of the campus and updates made to the facilities, dorms allow easy access to classes, food hall and bookstore. Selecting classes was extremely easy, the classes, professors are engaging and allow a real positive atmosphere for learning.

Peter Larson one of the hall directors sexually assaulted me at a party recently. I go to Uconn but i remember he's name from a party recently and he forcefully touched my breasts and wouldn't stop. Im going to therapy now. Im not a student at eastern but i feel had to share this experience. He shouldn't do this without consequences.

Arin

Eastern Connecticut State University is my home. It sounds cheesy, but I feel as though the university and the campus are where I want to be most of my time. Being back on campus always fills me with happiness and confidence, knowing that I am here as a student who is doing something for the world. When someone thinks about ECSU, they think of a small campus with welcoming students and staff that want the best for them. I don't think I could have ever found a better college than Eastern, because it's everything I needed when I went off to college.

Ryan

Like with anything in life, college is what you make it. The food sucks and the administration thinks they're running a prison, but there are fun times to be had and lessons to be learned. While it wasn't my first choice and I still may transfer elsewhere, it does the job and gives the college experience we are all looking for. Best of Luck and take my review with a grain of salt!

I do not like Eastern at all. They have helped me in no way and some classes are just set up for students to fail especially Organic Chemistry. The campus is pretty but surrounding area is also not a good one. There's crime and a lot of drugs which is why Willimantic is called a heroin town. The academics aren't the greatest either. My major is fairly new and I feel as though they have no idea what they are doing. Advisors are not helpful what so ever and usually don't care.

Alexia

Honestly, if ECSU was not so close to home, I probably wouldn't be staying for next semester. However, I am not leaving because this is where my work and friends are. Living on campus is horrific, and the dining hall food is awful. Don't get me wrong, I don't completely hate it, I currently have some personal issues going on that are probably being projected onto my college experience. The classes aren't very hard but are challenging. I just have had the overall feeling that my teachers and doctors there do not very much care about their student's grades, mental or physical well being. It very much feels as if they are there because they need the money, not because anyone wanted to be there.

Danielle

Eastern Connecticut State University is a good state school! Although a lot of people go home on the weekends, there is a lot of things to do during the week! There are always free events to go to, such as concerts, comedy nights, and food socials, as well as sporting events! There are a ton of free giveaways too, the most popular being food and t-shirts! And there's free pancakes every Thursday in the Student Center! The only complaint I have is housing is not always available to talk to. On the weekends, since so many people go home, it is very hard to get in touch with an RA or Hall Director regarding any issues one has. This is a great state school with a lot of great people!

Kayla. Im sorry to hear about your experience and i actually know about Peters behavior myself. A friend of mine was sexually assaulted by him. And he was in a relationship at the time. he's a jerk.

Thomas

I love ECSU and its students. For the cost of a state school, the education is excellent. The student's I have met have all turned out to be great characters who have helped me develop academically and personally. The teachers are always available to you when you need them whether it be during office hours or via email or phone. ECSU is a great school and affordable. I would recommend it to anyone seeking a solid liberal education.

Victoria

Pros: Quiet and serene community filled with various people from various backgrounds; everyone is friendly and here to learn and educate themselves. Professors are available most of the time and on-campus housing isn't so bad. Cons: The town of Willimantic isn't the friendliest so if you're going out, go out with a group of friends.

Imari

I feel like it’s a great school, it’s not a huge party school which is what i like often times it’s quiet and a relaxed campus to live on. Also there’s always Access to food throughout the whole day which is a plus. The class sizes are usually no more than 30 you know with some exceptions but overall the classes are small and relatively interactive.

Gabrielle

Eastern is a really nice school to be at. Smaller than UConn in order to be more accessible, however not terribly small where you know every face around you. You can run to class from one end of the main campus to the other in about 5 minutes. Though, for resident halls Burr and Noble, the walk is uphill and will give you a workout. The weekend food before dinner, if you're not a fan of breakfast, honestly is not the greatest. The teachers there are pretty good when it comes to communications and helping out. The weekends there are pretty quiet and are some of the best chances to get work done if you prefer minimal people. I've just finished my first year here and I'm happy that I chose it, there's a wide variety of people, places to go check out if you're bored or need things for your dorm, and opportunities going onto keep you busy.

Jakob

Eastern has surely changed my life for the better so far! Even though I've only completed my freshman year here, I am more than certain that this is the place for me. In the past academic year alone, I've made so many connections with peers and faculty that I simply cannot wait to come back in the fall! Every day, I thank my lucky stars I made the right decision in attending Eastern. It is truly the place for me.

Emillie

This school is a hidden gem. The grounds are beautiful. The buildings are either new and wondrous or in the process or being renovated. The dream lives here. On the academic side of things, the facilities are exactly what you need, there are multiple printers, computers, and study spaces available, the professors are required to have a certain number of office hours and most are willing to go above and beyond. There are multiple clubs that will support your academic ventures as well as a math and writing services center, which can be amazingly helpful when having trouble in class. The class sizes are small, but the campus is just big enough to meet someone new every day. There is a club for everything, campus events seemingly everyday, and an amazingly supportive staff. I couldn't imagine not being here!

Hilda

I really like being ECSU and I'm glad I made the decision to transfer there especially at a point in my life when I thought there was absolutely nothing I could do to obtain a higher gpa in order to become a physician assistant in future. Eastern has great teachers and advisors and competitive students who encourage me to even exceed my potentials. I have been able to maintain a high cumulative gpa of 3.93 ever since I transferred to ECSU compared to the 2.5 I had in my previous college. With the help of the great teachers and good resources at Eastern I have been able to not give up on my dream of becoming a physician assistant someday.

Keila

Personally, the school is pretty good. It is not as diverse as I was hoping. The student to teacher ratio is great so there is always the right amount of help. The food is like any other college food not the best. Since the campus is so small everyone knows each other and you see familiar faces everyday.

Maddie

Eastern is a beautiful campus and out of all the schools I applied to for the fall, this is where I will be definitely committing. It is the best bang for your buck! The people are so sweet and so helpful. You will never have to worry about getting help when you need it. If you are interested in coming in to see it or go to school here, i recommend it.

Very intimate setting! Small classes, professors always know your name. Students are intelligent and kind. Overall Eastern is a great community. There are plenty of organizations to help students become involved and engaged with their peers. There is a place for everyone at Eastern!

Angel

My life at ECSU has always been a wonderful experience. I personally love attending school and Eastern is more than just a school. There is always an activity going on, a friend to hang out with, or an soothing area to relax at. For me, there's a peace in knowing I am working to better myself and eastern makes me feel like I made the right choice.

Jasmine

Eastern is a great school and after a very long and confusing college selection process I am totally satisfied I chose it. If you're looking to really connect with your peers by small class sizes, plenty of community events, and even more I strongly encourage you to choose Eastern as well. Whether you're a Connecticut local, or you're traveling from afar, enrolling here will be a decision you'll never regret.

Briana

When I first drove on to Eastern's campus before taking my first tour, I told my mom to turn the car around. I told her I could already tell I didn't like the campus just by looking at the parking garages. This was also my fourth campus tour in two weeks, and I was over viewing schools. When we got back in the car after the tour, I looked at my mom and told her I didn't want to tour anywhere else, and that Eastern was my first choice, no school was going to top it for me. Never have I felt more included and empowered in a community than I have felt at Eastern. Throughout my entire high school career I didn't have a lot of friends - I always felt like an outcast, a "weirdo". I was always very opinionated and spoke up about the injustices I noticed going on in the world, including those happening in my very own community, but I never felt like I was being heard. Eastern has given me that privilege - my voice has never felt more heard, respected, or valued. The friends and mentors I've made have truly inspired every aspect of my life and my time at Eastern will always be important to me. I'm not just saying this to glorify my school, I'm not just saying this to win some scholarship, I'm saying this because if I had the chance to do everything over, I would pick Eastern again and again.

mariana

I love eastern! At first i thought it was a very small school and in the middle of no where. however, I have grown to love it. I came to college through a transition program eastern has called STEP/CAP. I was able to learn what to expect from college and gain mentors and guidance on campus. Since it is a small school I am involved in so much on campus. we have a strong community here on campus that encourages growth.

Jaylin

Transitioning from high school to college was one of the most overwhelming phases I had experienced. I felt unprepared and mentally, I was not ready for this new chapter in my life. Nonetheless, I made a decision and In the summer of 2015, I began my freshman year at Eastern Connecticut State University. This new beginning in my life meant more than just obtaining a degree; this was a start to become a better me. Of course I needed an environment that would shape me academically, but at the same time, I needed a college that would support me in growing professionally. Within two years at Eastern, my mindset changed drastically: from a low to high self expectation. In those couple of years, I became a Resident Assistant and the Treasurer of the M.A.L.E.S. (Men Achieving Leadership Excellence & Success) organization. I never expected to get this much experience from this university. However, being at Eastern has given me the assurance of achieving the "impossibility." In other words, despite of race, class, gender, ethnicity and all other social classifications and boundaries, I can achieve whatever I believe. Because of the small campus size, I have an easy access to more opportunities. Although Eastern does not have all of the academic and social options as the ones offered in larger universities, I pride myself in being part of Eastern's student body because of its space for individual innovation, self-discipline, and vast network. Not to mention, Eastern is Connecticut's public liberal arts school and by taking classes here, I’ve been exposed to a great amount of information in various subjects. Overall, Eastern is a great undergraduate school and I would recommend it to everyone. The more I progress at Eastern, the closer I get to be on the same playing field as the elites. More importantly, as I continue to grow, I will be elevated from the societal norm of being solely a color man.

Jared

Amazing

Alexis

My university is wonderful for me. I feel like i fit in here and i do very well academically. I have yet to find a teacher i don't like. There is always stuff to do on campus and plenty of clubs to join. It is amazing how close knit the community is on campus. I am overall very satisfied with my choice in selecting ECSU as my university for the next four years!

Cory

Eastern Connecticut State University has a rich amalgam of competent professors that provide a strong balance of real world experience and academic expertise. To a small degree, the college is diversified as far as age and ethnicity are concerned. The typical demographic is 18-24 years of age and Caucasian. ECSU did a great job of facility placement, as the most trafficked areas are close to each-other. For example, the student center and the sports center are right next to each other. Academic buildings are strategically placed with the two largest academic buildings (Webb Hall and the Science Building) as neighbors. These two buildings are situated very close (90 second walking distance) to the studying hub of the campus (J. Eugene Smith Library). There are clubs associated with each major provided by the University. I've noticed, after graduating with my undergraduate degree here, that most professors emphasize class discussion and participation to enhance critical thinking ability, so be ready to be active and engaged in your classes. Class advisors are reliable, as they provide office hours to assist you, and they provide many methods of connecting with them, whether it be through email, phone, or face to face after class. The food court has a decent variety of businesses to choose from, all of which are close to each other and visible. This college provides a solid mixture of both recreational sports and competitively structured sports. ECSU has a lot of available square footage per student, so it is quite easy to find designated locations to study at and low trafficked areas to sit down and study as well.

Overall I have not enjoyed my experience at ECSU. I find that the professors are either amazing and go above and beyond to work with you, or you get professors that teach you nothing and make you feel like you wasted thousands of dollars with nothing to show for it. The school focuses much more on their on campus students and not their commuters. The commuters don't have great parking options.

Cole

It is a great school with a few minor flaws, but a lot less than the majority of schools out there.

The campus is nice and small. Class sizes are great. Professors should use all resources and communicate more from what I have seen. Housing could work on the food options since the meal plans are a bit pricey based on the options. They should also offer more scholarships. The school is other wise great.

Keyarra

Eastern has a very nice campus with updated facilities. WIth over 60+ clubs and events every week of every month. Many options to either on campus or off, the shuttle takes you to most of the nearby attractions, like the mall, grocery store, walmart, Overall great college with lots of ways to be involved and have a great experience all 4 years.

Kaitlin

I really like Eastern Connecticut State University from what I've seen. I have been on two tours and I really loved the housing, dining hall and the amount of options they offer for sports and other activities. I also like how everyone is so involved in everything and very helpful, especially the tour guides.

Mariah

Eastern is a decent school! It initially wasn't my first choice but they gave me a lot of money. My first year was so much fun. I met a lot of people and academics were very good. The professors were available almost all the time and were very friendly. If you like a small campus and small classes then Eastern is the school for you. The school has daily fun activities to get the students involved which love. I do not regret going to a liberal arts college because I know I will graduate from being a well-rounded person.

Stacy

I am very happy with my choice in going to Eastern. I am a psychology major and I found that Eastern had the best psychology program, as they have five different concentrations students can chose from. I also really like Eastern because of the size. With the campus being so small, it only takes about 15 minutes to walk from one side of the campus to the other. Also, the class sizes are a good size, making it easy to talk to professors in class and get to know fellow students.

Jackson

I tried to post the review a couple of times but they were deleted by ECSU! I was no longer here but I would like to share a little bit about my terrible experience as an Asian Student here. There is truth Asian need to know before you attending ECSU, some White people were open discrimination against Asian. I was been opening told “Ching Chong” by a couple of white peers when I was walking though the student activity center. In a couple of my classes, Some Caucasian professor treat me differently from White (one of the asshole even gave me a ‘special treat’), because I was the only Asian, they were not afraid if I report them to school. I do meet some great professors here, but you are going to meet a couple of great professors in every colleges, but not too many you would find. My advice to perspective Asian student: try your best to get into UCONN, you will have a much better freshmen experience.

Love it Great College

I was a transfer to Eastern Connecticut State University just about one year ago. Other school was small, uninviting, and the teachers were not willing to be available to help students succeed. At Eastern Connecticut State University my teachers hold regular office hours, give out their personal cell phone numbers, and are always willing to help students with whatever they need. This availability holds true even when the students have personal issues that are not school related. Everyone is always involved in extra curricular activities and the school pushes students to be involved in their community.

Dulce

The school has a small community so everyone gladly helps one another. Everyone is very nice and welcoming. Since I came up from Georgia and knew no one in Connecticut, I loved how inviting the campus is. You can easily find people to call family and a place to call home.