Charleston, IL
Eastern Illinois University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Eastern Illinois University

Chelsey

Classmates are encouraging and supportive individuals of all ages who do not hesitate to participate in class to promote healthy and challenging learning, even when they are not the most knowledgable of the subject.

If I had the ability to talk to myself as a high school senior about college life and the transition involved I would advise my younger self on two very important topics, which is: to live frugally and to not be afraid of change. It is easy as a high school student to not recognize the importance of living frugally, especially when the only funds available are from student loans. While the money may, at first, seem everlasting, college students, including myself, can become rudely awakened by their spending habits and are challenged by the consequences that they must face when they realize that funds are running low. I would also advise my younger self to not worry so much about the changes that will ensue. While the prospect of moving away from home into an entirely new situation may be daunting at first, the move into college life is an adventure that I?ve come to appreciate and enjoy. I would not only be able to tell my younger self that I have found myself growing tremendously because of the change, but that I also have begun new and wonderful relationships with people from all ages and backgrounds.

The best thing about Eastern Illinois University is the willingness of the professors and staff to help all students with their problems. Professors are understanding of family situations which may cause delays in homework or missed classes and respond in appropriate measures to make sure that these students are not punished for events that are out of their control. Other staff members are also very helpful towards those who have questions or complications that need addressed.

Jacalyn

If I had the opportunity to go back in time and talk to my high school self I would tell her to calm down and that she will love EIU. I would also give her some pointers on studying and how to study. In this conversation I would advise her on who not to room with and tell her that the showers are not scary and there is nothing wrong with living with a random roommate. Yes there are different people on campus, but I am a different person too so do make sure to open up and let people get to know you from the get go. It's okay to be scared, but everything will work out. Don't overthink friendships people change and it is okay for you to change too. Overall, do have fun and take lots of photos.

Lots of peopl take EIU as a joke. In some departments having a degree from here does not mean a whole lot. Also it is really frustrating how people are afraid to speak their ideas. Also how thing are ran are childish, it is ridiculous some of the rules they have. We are adults but they treat us like children.

Victoria

Many people would tell others that living in the dorms was the worst experience of their lives. However, if i could back and give myself some tips on college life, I would stress myself to move into the dorms. Although I may not like my first roommate, it's a great way to meet new people that I will want to room with. I would also tell myself to apply for every scholarship offered at high school. Scholarships are hard to come by once you are actually in college. I would tell myself to invest in a pair of snowboots. No matter how much snow or ice is on the ground; colleges do not cancel classes. And campus sidewalks tend to flood...alot. So I better get a pair of rainboots and a big umbrella. And no matter what anyone tells you, there is not a cure for the hangover. So don't drink so much that you will be sick for three days straight. I would tell myself not to stress out and to just enjoy everything. You only experience college once so be sure to have fun in the process.

The way the housing department matches all of the roommates up for the year. They only ask a few basic questions on the housing application, and they don't realize that many people lie about things on the application.

The programs that the school offers for my major, and all of the great volunteer opportunities I can participate in.

The advise I would give seniors would be to have fun but have self control. To manage their time and get there work done. I would tell them to stay focused on their goals and work hard. Your GPA is very important and its harder to go up than down! Also to make the right kinds of friends. If you see there just bringing you down cut them loose!

Melissa

Being 32 and back in school after a number of years, I think I come from a unique vantage point for giving advice to myself as a high school senior. I don't regret the decisions I made the first time in college... I went to a private, 4-year school and graduated with a BFA in Art and Design. However, a number of years after that, I found myself reconsidering my choice of major and realized that my interest in art didn't translate well into a successful, fulfilling career. So now I'm back in school, working towards a new degree in Communications Disorders and Sciences with a goal of becoming a Speech Language Pathologist. If I could talk to myself as a high school senior, I'd encourage myself to explore all the options for a major, and not assume that early hobbies and interests will translate well into a long-term career choice. For most traditional students, college is very much about growing up and becoming independent, but it's also important to know that the choices you make in college affect the rest of your life.

Overall, EIU has been a great school. I'm a non-traditional student, meaning I'm older, married, with children and other responsibilities most college students don't have. As far as I know, EIU doesn't have any clubs or programs devoted to non-traditional students. This to me is the worst thing about the school, since there are many of us that could benefit from such programs.

I don't think you should attend EIU if you're not naturally motivated to study and learn. What I've noticed is that the professors are personable and knowledgable, but they don't hold students accountable for the information. You have to be fairly self-motivated to be successful.

Ash

EIU is a state school, but it has a small student population. I really get to know my teachers and classmates because of the small classroom environments. Additionally, we have an Emmy-winning newscast, which will look great on future resumes. I love the small town atmosphere too. It is comfortable and quaint, and helps me focus on my studies.

I would tell myself to work a lot harder and be much better about saving my money. College is more expensive than I realized, and scholarships are not easy to get. I would kick my butt into gear and make sure that I put away more money so I would be secure. I would also apply for way more scholarships than I did, including the ones that required essays, instead of being lazy. Everyday I suffer for my laziness and stubborness, and I wish I truly could turn back time and do it again. If I had done things right the first time, I would not be worrying about being sent home for not being able to make my tuition payments.

If someone wants a big school where they are lost in the crowd, then they shouldn't attend EIU. Also, if someone is looking for a big city with a hopping night life, EIU is not for them either. EIU isn't for people who don't want to do well.

Autumn

At Eastern Illinois University you have the opportunity to join a community of friendly, down -to-earth people in earning a great education from experienced professors, attending an endless amount of on-campus events, joining various professional, fraternal, or interest-oriented extra curriculars all while being a student on this beautiful campus!

Obviously college is necessary to earn a degree and find a career you love, but please remember to take advantage of the resources around you! Whether there is a hobby you want to explore further, a question concerning your resume, or advice on how to live a healthy lifestyle there are not only students seeking the same information but there are professors and advisors who wish you would ask them about such matters. College provides the opportunity to grow in your independence, explore interests you've always wanted to explore, and meet the best friends you've always desired. Enjoy!

Students at Eastern Illinois University need to be willing to get involved with either events, clubs, organizations, or at the very least be outgoing enough to form a solid group of friends who you can hang out with when taking a break from classes or studying.

Too go back in time would be an adventure in itself, but if my goal was to give myself advice about the college life, I would have a few pointers. I would make a "To-Do" List and promise to stick by it. I would attend more dorm activites and meetings- becasue the few I did were tons of fun, and more would have been great. I would tell myself to get involved in as much as I could handle. I wish I took advantage of all the awesome things my school offered, such as the honors clubs, dance teams, and fun athletic events. I would soak it all in and take a lot of pictures to remember them by this time. I would advise myself to be friendly because everyone else is a brand new college freshman too, and probably feels just as lost as I will feel. I would exercise more- to avoid the inevitable "freshman 15"- and just have fun! I would remind myself not to give in to peer pressure, and not to abuse my newly found freedom. Ultimatly, I would remind me to stay focused on school and enjoy my years as a college kid!

The only thing that I find negative about my school is the fact that the library closes at 1am most days. I wish it could stay open longer, because I enjoy studying there. I understand that it has to close sometime, but the idea of a 24/7 library facility would be nice. :)

I am proud to say I go to my college. I have visited friends at other schools, and am so grateful I go to EIU. Its all a personal preference, but I just fit here. I can brag about the class sizes and how its very interactive with the other students and professor. I feel bad for my friends that have classes with 100+ students, because they have no time or room to ask questions if need be.

Lisa

Do you remember the days when your mom woke you up for school? The most significant transition from high school to college is the choice you make to go to class. Attendance is generally not taken in many classes, depending on the size of the classroom, which makes it essentially your choice to go. Along those lines, your schedule will be much different from the one you were use to in high school. Some days you may not have classes, and other days will be typically shorter than what you have experienced in high school. With shorter days and more time to spare, making sure that you manage your time wisely is vital in being successful in college. The key to staying motivated in school is to remember why you are in college. Meeting people and making friends is important, however, your social life is not why you are in college. The biggest mistake I see college students make is the habits and surroundings they fall into, and the priorities they forget they have

I think any person can attend school as long as they are motivated. If their desire to do something with themselves is strong enough than any person should be able to atted school. However, the people who want to experience "college life," rather then school itself; those are the people who should not attend school. School requires a lot of time, hard work, and most of all motivation. If a person cannot put in this type of dedication they may not be suitable for school

The most frustrating thing about school is watching people get distracted or get caught up in other things and do poorly in school. It amazes me to see people who have potential and do not take advantage of those qualities, and let themselves fail. For myself however, the most frustrating thing is trying to understand a concept that you simply cannot grasp. Thankfully, there are counselors and classmates, as well as teachers that can help you catch up.

Reneesha

My School is Small, friendly, and inexpensive.

My School is Small, friendly, and inexpensive.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself before entering college I would tell myself to make the best of my experience, get involved right away on campus, learn to stay away from people who cause drama and stress, and last but not least do not try to be best friends with your roommate. I believe I should have had more fun my first year than sitting in my dorm most of the time. I believe I should have got involved in many different activities so I could better network with others and to meet some pretty cool people while gaining leadership opprtunities. I think my grades would have been better if I did not have to deal with certian people I surrounded myself with that made my life difficult and stressful and people that were focused on studies rather than fraternity men. I think trying to be best friends with my first roommate was the entire wrong decision because when that occurs you become scared to say something if something you do not like occurs.

when telling friends about my school I brag on the fact that we have textbook rental services instead of buying our books and if we want the books we have the option of buying them but are not forced to. I also brag on the fact that it is one of the most inexpensive universities in the state of Illinois and they are well known for their teaching program.

Eastern Illinois University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.