Charleston, IL
Eastern Illinois University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Eastern Illinois University

Jaclyn

I feel as though Eastern Illinois University is known for having a very friendly staff. All of the professors here are more than willing to work with you out of the classroom and really make you feel welcomed. Also, the enrollment is around 13,000, but the campus makes you feel at home and comfortable.

Knowing what I know about college life , the main advice I could give myself is to be confident in who I am and open to change. Coming from a small town, I was terrified on my first day of college. It was so uncomfortable being out of my small little bubble that I had been in for son long. Even though I was on my College's soccer team I closed myself off and didn't allow anyone to get close to me for sometime. Now seeing that there is nothing scary about College and that everyone has to go through the same transition, it should actually keep you at ease. Reason I would tell myself to be open to change is the fact that you might push a person away that is completely different than you, but then come to realize that you could have so much to benefit and learn from that person and vise versa. College is an amazing opportunity to help yourself grow into a brand new, mature person and discover that there is a whole other world out there waiting to be explored!

There really aren't any complaints except for all the construction that is going on at the moment.

Abby

My school has a medium-sized student population, offers a variety of courses and activities and is run by helpful and friendly staff.

You will meet a lot of people; some will be merely acquaintances, some will be your friends for a little while, and a few will be your friends for life. Those two or three people who really make an impact on you are worth keeping around. Don't sweat the small stuff. It's not worth stressing about. You will be away from your family, your friends and your home for the first time in your life. At first you won't know anyone, but that won't last long. It might be a tough adjustment at first, but hold on. College will be a life-changing experience. When you're overwhelmed with household responsibilities, like mowing the grass and getting the water heater fixed, don't be discouraged. You will be a wiser person for having dealt with these situations. Later in life, when others are just learning how to fix a leaky faucet, you'll already know how. You'll never regret that you worked hard in school, but academics should come secondary to life. Remember that you're a person who has social, emotional and physical needs. Enjoy college while you can; it's over too fast.

The best thing about my school is that the faculty and staff are so cooperative and friendly.

KELLY

Take your time, it is not a race to see who can graduate first. There is not a deadline on your education. Just having it is a priceless gift. Know that all of your goals and dreams of becoming who you are will take longer than you anticipated but be patient all your blessings will come to you. Always go with your gut and always...always follow through on your word. Because sometimes in the end that is all we have. Remember who your real friends are they will follow you as far as they can and repsect them for that. Education isnt for everyone, but dont let that hold you back, you are who you are because of your goals and dreams. Education is your key to YOUR success and YOUR dreams not theirs. Your road is only yours and it may be lonely for a while there will be success and happiness with its silver lining.. BE PATIENT.. AND HAVE FUN...THERE IS NO RUSH...

I enjoyed being able to finish my last few semesters online. It gave me the time I needed with with my family and the time I needed to also be a fulltime working student. Their Continuing Eduction program is excellent and they are all about the needs of returning students as well as veterans. And coming back to the civilian world from the Marines I really needed that comfort level.

Someone who doesnt want to attend a big university. If you want more personal attention then you should attend a smaller university first and work your way up to a university like Eastern Illinois University.

Kari

Friendly atmosphere with down home values.

Friendly atmosphere with down home values.

I was a mother at 19. I would tell myself that what ever life throws at you take it and make the best of it. If a college degree is your dream reach for it, if you have to take one class a semester for 10 years then do it. Don't let anyone tell you, you can't handle it. Believe in yourself, you are your best cheerleader! College is worth it and you can and will succeed.

A person that is not passionate about higher education, this campus is in a small rural area in central Illinos. If they are not comfortable with a small town living enviornment then they would not be a good fit for EIU.

Chelsey

Classmates are encouraging and supportive individuals of all ages who do not hesitate to participate in class to promote healthy and challenging learning, even when they are not the most knowledgable of the subject.

If I had the ability to talk to myself as a high school senior about college life and the transition involved I would advise my younger self on two very important topics, which is: to live frugally and to not be afraid of change. It is easy as a high school student to not recognize the importance of living frugally, especially when the only funds available are from student loans. While the money may, at first, seem everlasting, college students, including myself, can become rudely awakened by their spending habits and are challenged by the consequences that they must face when they realize that funds are running low. I would also advise my younger self to not worry so much about the changes that will ensue. While the prospect of moving away from home into an entirely new situation may be daunting at first, the move into college life is an adventure that I?ve come to appreciate and enjoy. I would not only be able to tell my younger self that I have found myself growing tremendously because of the change, but that I also have begun new and wonderful relationships with people from all ages and backgrounds.

The best thing about Eastern Illinois University is the willingness of the professors and staff to help all students with their problems. Professors are understanding of family situations which may cause delays in homework or missed classes and respond in appropriate measures to make sure that these students are not punished for events that are out of their control. Other staff members are also very helpful towards those who have questions or complications that need addressed.

Jacalyn

If I had the opportunity to go back in time and talk to my high school self I would tell her to calm down and that she will love EIU. I would also give her some pointers on studying and how to study. In this conversation I would advise her on who not to room with and tell her that the showers are not scary and there is nothing wrong with living with a random roommate. Yes there are different people on campus, but I am a different person too so do make sure to open up and let people get to know you from the get go. It's okay to be scared, but everything will work out. Don't overthink friendships people change and it is okay for you to change too. Overall, do have fun and take lots of photos.

Lots of peopl take EIU as a joke. In some departments having a degree from here does not mean a whole lot. Also it is really frustrating how people are afraid to speak their ideas. Also how thing are ran are childish, it is ridiculous some of the rules they have. We are adults but they treat us like children.

Victoria

Many people would tell others that living in the dorms was the worst experience of their lives. However, if i could back and give myself some tips on college life, I would stress myself to move into the dorms. Although I may not like my first roommate, it's a great way to meet new people that I will want to room with. I would also tell myself to apply for every scholarship offered at high school. Scholarships are hard to come by once you are actually in college. I would tell myself to invest in a pair of snowboots. No matter how much snow or ice is on the ground; colleges do not cancel classes. And campus sidewalks tend to flood...alot. So I better get a pair of rainboots and a big umbrella. And no matter what anyone tells you, there is not a cure for the hangover. So don't drink so much that you will be sick for three days straight. I would tell myself not to stress out and to just enjoy everything. You only experience college once so be sure to have fun in the process.

The way the housing department matches all of the roommates up for the year. They only ask a few basic questions on the housing application, and they don't realize that many people lie about things on the application.

The programs that the school offers for my major, and all of the great volunteer opportunities I can participate in.

The advise I would give seniors would be to have fun but have self control. To manage their time and get there work done. I would tell them to stay focused on their goals and work hard. Your GPA is very important and its harder to go up than down! Also to make the right kinds of friends. If you see there just bringing you down cut them loose!

Melissa

Being 32 and back in school after a number of years, I think I come from a unique vantage point for giving advice to myself as a high school senior. I don't regret the decisions I made the first time in college... I went to a private, 4-year school and graduated with a BFA in Art and Design. However, a number of years after that, I found myself reconsidering my choice of major and realized that my interest in art didn't translate well into a successful, fulfilling career. So now I'm back in school, working towards a new degree in Communications Disorders and Sciences with a goal of becoming a Speech Language Pathologist. If I could talk to myself as a high school senior, I'd encourage myself to explore all the options for a major, and not assume that early hobbies and interests will translate well into a long-term career choice. For most traditional students, college is very much about growing up and becoming independent, but it's also important to know that the choices you make in college affect the rest of your life.

Overall, EIU has been a great school. I'm a non-traditional student, meaning I'm older, married, with children and other responsibilities most college students don't have. As far as I know, EIU doesn't have any clubs or programs devoted to non-traditional students. This to me is the worst thing about the school, since there are many of us that could benefit from such programs.

I don't think you should attend EIU if you're not naturally motivated to study and learn. What I've noticed is that the professors are personable and knowledgable, but they don't hold students accountable for the information. You have to be fairly self-motivated to be successful.

Ash

EIU is a state school, but it has a small student population. I really get to know my teachers and classmates because of the small classroom environments. Additionally, we have an Emmy-winning newscast, which will look great on future resumes. I love the small town atmosphere too. It is comfortable and quaint, and helps me focus on my studies.

I would tell myself to work a lot harder and be much better about saving my money. College is more expensive than I realized, and scholarships are not easy to get. I would kick my butt into gear and make sure that I put away more money so I would be secure. I would also apply for way more scholarships than I did, including the ones that required essays, instead of being lazy. Everyday I suffer for my laziness and stubborness, and I wish I truly could turn back time and do it again. If I had done things right the first time, I would not be worrying about being sent home for not being able to make my tuition payments.

If someone wants a big school where they are lost in the crowd, then they shouldn't attend EIU. Also, if someone is looking for a big city with a hopping night life, EIU is not for them either. EIU isn't for people who don't want to do well.

Eastern Illinois University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.